Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always buy those Onslaught negators, kids~

As a related question to keep the thread going, have any of you found a particularly great Martial Art or combination of Martial Arts for Lunars to combo with their native Charms? That plays to their strengths and whatnot, or maybe a cheeky didn't-think-of-that combo for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alistair View Post
      What Essence level? Because no, Essence 4-5 DBs are not the things people will be playing. And, in my experience, 4v1'ing a Dawn ends very poorly for most of the DBs involved when at Essence 2.
      Essence 3 for the DBs and 2 for the Dawn. The Dawn just had a flat 5 in everything and always assumed specialty, as well as every melee charm, heavy artifact plate and a daiklave, the DBs only had the signature charm in their primary ability, 4 wits, no specialty, and suboptimal equipment, like the swordsman using a grand daiklave and the brawler in only medium armor. In round 1 of combat the Solar, who I admittedly completely blanked on Hungry Tiger Tequnique not being usable against uncrashed targets, used Invincible Fury of the Dawn to leap into range with the archer and incapacitate her right away.

Then after resetting to base the other two DBs got 4 turns in a row, they used the first two to crash me and make me pop Bulwark Stance and right away start taking anima damage, and then once Bulwark Stance got used they activated their scenelong buff charms. I then activated Fivefold Bulwark Stance on my turn, and they got to go twice again. From that point it was me using almost all my motes each turn into Hail Shattering Practice and Dipping Swallow, and taking a full defense every turn to stop from getting crashed and being torn apart by anima, until eventually I tried attacking, lost the clash, and then with all my motes spent died for it.

The mote regen was a huge thing. You regen 5 motes a round that you need to split between two defenses and one action, maybe an attack, they regen 5m each and have to split it between one action and 0.5 defenses. Even with Solar charm efficiency it's hard to keep up. If I hadn't incaped the archer right off the bat it would have been much, much worse.

Originally posted by Alistair View Post
      Always buy those Onslaught negators, kids~
      Incidentally, if you're making a badass Dawn to fight as the final boss of a big Wyld Hunt story arc in your DB game and you don't give him Onslaught negators, be prepared for a super disappointing fight where he's dead by the end of round 2.
      Last edited by DrLoveMonkey; 10-07-2019, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Always buy those Onslaught negators, kids~

As a related question to keep the thread going, have any of you found a particularly great Martial Art or combination of Martial Arts for Lunars to combo with their native Charms? That plays to their strengths and whatnot, or maybe a cheeky didn't-think-of-that combo for them.
        I did have my Quetzlcoatl Falcon Stylist gravity destroyer Aguile Ofidiano. It’s in my Glorious Argent Beastiary Thread.

For just raw power, stacking Strength on top of Strength for a Lunar Tiger Stylist is probably a good bet.

Prototype00

Comment

• Not necessarily raw power as much as combos that just seem to work really really good. Using Falcon Style in an HBT winged form seems pretty damn good, can grapple people and then fly away, drop them and let gravity do its thing, then descend and perform one of its infamous omega drop attacks on them if they survived or on someone else.

Comment

Not necessarily raw power as much as combos that just seem to work really really good. Using Falcon Style in an HBT winged form seems pretty damn good, can grapple people and then fly away, drop them and let gravity do its thing, then descend and perform one of its infamous omega drop attacks on them if they survived or on someone else.
            You can drop them while you are slamming them. A la word of Vance the falling damage and decisive slam damage stacks.

In short, it’s a good tactic, except against air aspects.

Comment

• I haven't seen it done, but I think that Black Claw is probably amazing for Lunars, as they can enhance it with all their social charms.

My Exalted characters:
              Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
              Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

• I don’t know of any combos that are like “combine this MA charm with this Lunar charm and technically you’re immune to decisive damage for the rest of the scene.” Or anything like that. Considering how easy it would be to make a combo like that by accident I’m pretty impressed that I haven’t seen even one yet for Lunars. There’s some combinations that are ridiculously powerful though. One that I can think of right away is Righteous Devil. It’s 1) a corebook style and this more powerful than you’d expect anyway, and 2) a style with a singular weapon that was balanced around never ever being able to combo its effects. So something like Limb Maiming Flourish combined with Dancing Devil Trigger Finger.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                  I haven't seen it done, but I think that Black Claw is probably amazing for Lunars, as they can enhance it with all their social charms.
                  Can't anyone enhance Blaw with all their social charms?

Martial Arts can't be comboed with the other four combat abilities (Archery, Brawl, Melee and Thrown). You can combo with Presence, Performance, Socailize, Athletics etc.

Tiger Style is my biggie.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
                    I don’t know of any combos that are like “combine this MA charm with this Lunar charm and technically you’re immune to decisive damage for the rest of the scene.” Or anything like that. Considering how easy it would be to make a combo like that by accident I’m pretty impressed that I haven’t seen even one yet for Lunars. There’s some combinations that are ridiculously powerful though. One that I can think of right away is Righteous Devil. It’s 1) a corebook style and this more powerful than you’d expect anyway, and 2) a style with a singular weapon that was balanced around never ever being able to combo its effects. So something like Limb Maiming Flourish combined with Dancing Devil Trigger Finger.

I'm unsure if this is rules-legal, because Strength Charms cannot enhance attacks that don't take Strength into account for their damage calculations, like firewands. Still, Dexterity Charms paired with it... bad juju, for sure. Though I'm more interested in "Interesting-powerful" applications than "Breaks the game in half" if that makes any sense.

Comment

• The use-strength-in-the-place-of-dex charm might get around that one.

Comment

• Not for firewands.

My Exalted characters:
                        Dr Soma Vaidya, viper-totem Lunar and kung-fu doctor
                        Brother Alazar, Zenith occultist and last survivor of the Black Monastery of Leng

Comment

• I'm having a difficult time imagining how shapeshifting into someone but still using your own Appearance rating not greatly interfere with your ability to pass as that person. What is the result of an Appearance 5 lunar taking a shape with a rating of 1 or vice versa?

Comment

• Originally posted by Plastic Doll View Post
                            I'm having a difficult time imagining how shapeshifting into someone but still using your own Appearance rating not greatly interfere with your ability to pass as that person. What is the result of an Appearance 5 lunar taking a shape with a rating of 1 or vice versa?
                            Appearance is your physical presence not your looks.

Think of any rom-com since Grease where the shy nerdy girl under-goes a make-over and turns out to be beautiful. Shy nerd girl is Appearence 1. Miss Congeniality is Appearance 5*.

A great difference in Appearance is probably going to get noticed, but rationalised away like The Tell. "Hey Sandy, you look hot! Loving the tail girl!"

A Lunar with a low Appearance taking a high Appearance form is going to seem off their game. Like when paparazzi snap pictures of hung-over celebrities without their make-up.

Tl:dr

Magic.

*Not really. Stunning good looks where people look at you and would describe you as beautiful is Appearence 3. Appearence 5 is world-class beauty that can't be topped.
                            Last edited by JohnDoe244; 10-08-2019, 05:01 PM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

• Thank you. That makes sense.

Comment

• Yeah, Appearance is less your actual looks and more how capable you are at exploiting them socially, how good you are at first impressions and body language, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X