Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    Exalted has kind of equivalents for most parts of Earth; the east is kind of America-themed, the North is Europe-themed, the Realm is China-esque, etc.

What about:
    My take:

The North-Central Asian steppe (Tataria as they used to call it, as well as Kazakhstan, Mongolia, etc)
    Feels like the North, either north of Medo and/or Whitewall, or in the undefined area east of Grieve and Fortitude.

South-Central Asia (the mountainous Iran, Afghanistan, Azerbaijian, etc)
    The Summer Mountains that divide the Southeast from the South proper, particularly in the great lakes area and in the vicinity of Cinder.

Southern Africa (if the answer is "Harborhead" then what about East Africa? West Africa? Central Africa? Or is Harborhead just covering all of sub-Saharan Africa?)
    African biomes and cultures fit in all across the South, especially along the coast and especially in the Southeast. Harbourhead shouldn't be an isolated enclave representing all of sub-Saharan Africa, but one kingdom among a vast array of cultures.

I'm currently in a game set north of Prasad, where the setting is heavily inspired by the ST's visits to São Tomé and (probably more so) that general "African" pop-cultural mélange. The genre of the game, however, is wuxia.

Australia
    Either the Dreaming Sea (though I tend of think of it as the Indian Ocean, with Ysyr as a grand fantasy Madagascar) or in the far Southwest (and the Caul is a good candidate for it).

You can of course spread various parts of Australia across the South, having marsupial lions prowl Southwestern jungles and dropping the red centre into the Burning Sands.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
      Sounds like an artifact. 2E, repair a Factory Cathedral and you can probably find blueprints for your magic car and run them off an automated assembly line.

3E is a Bronze Age game. Advancing technology means inventing barley beer, steel and democracy.
      This is a bit hyperoblic, as a note. Creation is "Bronze Age" in the same way Conan is. There is still steel, folks have agriculture (beer is before bread yo), and there are actual republics and democracies all over. I generally go more with a description of Creation as simply "historical" more than Bronze Age, as it in canon even in 3e demonstrates aesthetic bits from cultures all over human history, and insitutions built on concepts from what we would consider the Medeival Era, such as some of the sailing technology, sophisticated economic models, and mathematics.

That being said, it really depends on what "advancing technology" is meant ot be here. In general, if it is something that would dramaticlaly change the setting beyond it's current aestheitcs, it probably is superior project as noted. Creation doesn't run on Earth principles, and science doens't have some teleological arc like a Civilization Tech Tree. And especially there's a bit where things are driven on narrative and genre-conceits, rather than trying to enforce those views of history. One of which being that a lot of the especially large leaps in development that define the modern wrold are reuslts of processes operating on global scales of trade, exchange of ideas, and empire which Creation as a whole just doesn't have. Our own industrial revolution on Earth required as much special circumstnaces in England at the time, global empires, and folks putting things together from all over. You gotta do a lot more than "make the right rolls, create industry" I think.

And stuff.
      My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
        Exalted has kind of equivalents for most parts of Earth; the east is kind of America-themed, the North is Europe-themed, the Realm is China-esque, etc. ...
        A bit to remember is that each Direction is pretty diverse still. The Blessed Isle has a Chinese milleau to it, but in 3e especially, is still a full on continent with different ethnic groups, historical nations, and legends. The Isle this time around has this vibe to me of being yeah, unified by the Dynasty and Wen ethnic dominance, but very much could be a situation like how Romania, Britainia, Iberia, and Syria all were "Roman" but had a pretty different takes on that. The other Directions are as big as many continents on Earth, and so have often the same diversity of things about. The North has a lot of European, but you also have Fajad which is very Islamic-inspired, and while the often MIddle East-inpsired South has An-Teng, which is Southeast Asian.

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
        The North-Central Asian steppe (Tataria as they used to call it, as well as Kazakhstan, Mongolia, etc)
        The Penninsular North seems to have a lot of this. Medo is based a lot on Hungary as I understand it. There's bits of the warmer parts of that over near Chiarsocuro too as a note, which has some Steppe culture stuff even if it is warmer/more like the Magreb.

South-Central Asia (the mountainous Iran, Afghanistan, Azerbaijian, etc)
        Again, probably near Chiaroscuro. You also probably can find a lot of this in the Dreaming Sea region. The areas along the Summer Mountains seem like a good place. ALso remember that despite being depicted as desolate wasteland, the area called the Burning Sands on the map is being called that in-chracter (the map is supposed to be an IC artifact in a way). So keep that in mind with how much well, else, might be in there.

Southern Africa (if the answer is "Harborhead" then what about East Africa? West Africa? Central Africa? Or is Harborhead just covering all of sub-Saharan Africa?)
        Australia
        Harborhead is a god-damned mess of what I call Portmanteau Africa where pretty much it has bits and pieces of every Sub-Saharan African culture mashed into one place and so relegating a whole continent to a single state. You probably can find parts of it everywehre, as stated. Mostly the South for aeshtetics, but the rest of Creation probably has plenty of room for places that have inspiration of African kingdoms but with the regional aesthetic. (Again, think Fajad being Ice Baghdad). I could see something like the the Congo in some of the Cinder Isles, the big ass lakes near Harborhead probably have a lot of inspration on Eastern Africa and the Great Lakes, and actual South Africa is probably better represented by some stuff up North or in the East (it's actually relatively cool). Apparently this edition Gem is going to draw on some aspect of some sub-Saharan cultures but it hasn't been said what. And at least until proven otherwise, I have been going with Ysyr looking like West Africa because all that gold and super idealized human metal sculptures looks pretty cool for a sorcerer kingdom I think.

And stuff.

Comment

• I'd say some of mountainous Central Asia is also encompassed by the middle of the Blessed Isle (which can still be reconciled with denoting that continent as "China-esque" because the furthest boundaries of China have encompassed central mountain ranges), while areas analogous to parts of Africa are surely also placed around the East proper.

I've heard Africa described as the most ecologically varied continent, so given how things are distributed in Creation it makes sense that it would be divided among Directions.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
            I'd say some of mountainous Central Asia is also encompassed by the middle of the Blessed Isle (which can still be reconciled with denoting that continent as "China-esque" because the furthest boundaries of China have encompassed central mountain ranges), while areas analogous to parts of Africa are surely also placed around the East proper.

I've heard Africa described as the most ecologically varied continent, so given how things are distributed in Creation it makes sense that it would be divided among Directions.
            Daeji and Endless Prefectures gave me a very Tibetan Plataeu vibe, to add a bit to that. "China-esque" encompases quite a bit, climatewise.

And stuff.

Comment

• This is something that has been bothering me since 1st ed... Why oh why is Creation rectangular instead of circular or ellipsoid?!

I express my opinions, but YSMV; Your Stories May Vary.

Formerly known as wyrmpuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Mal'akh View Post

This is something that has been bothering me since 1st ed... Why oh why is Creation rectangular instead of circular or ellipsoid?!
                Because a rectangle is the only shape that fits a page or a two-page spread without dead space.

But really, is it? Does Creation stop cold the instant you go a millimeter past where the map in the book ends? If your GM says yes, then he's the one who needs to explain why it's rectangular. Because I'm pretty sure no book says "This map is all that is and will ever be of Creation, its borders are the edges of the world".
                Or for that matter, is the map in the book undistorted? We all know the Earth is curved but most maps we see aren't.

Comment

• It also doesn't just "end" suddenly at the edge of the map; it slowly fades into the Wyld. (Except maybe in the North)

I actually assume it is sort of rectangular, but at 45 degrees to the map. The 4 corners being the four elemental poles.

Hence Ascension is right next to the edge of the map, but it's in no way bothered by the Wyld, because the bordermarches are actually still quite far away. Whereas the east of the Dreaming Sea that you see on the map are already border march.
                  Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 11-18-2019, 06:18 AM.

I play...
                  Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
                  Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

• Vaguely a rounded square but also the edges are both fuzzy and not regular and there's some debate on whether the border marches count as creation or not.

Comment

• It just looks so lop-sided with the elemental poles not equidistant from each other.

I express my opinions, but YSMV; Your Stories May Vary.

Formerly known as wyrmpuff

Comment

• Were the elementals always at the same place during Creation History ? Because if I understood correctly, Creation was way bigger before the Usurpation. Did the Elemental Poles moved with it ?

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

• Originally posted by Mal'akh View Post
                          It just looks so lop-sided with the elemental poles not equidistant from each other.
                          True. I assume the Elemental Poles of Air and Fire are much further from the edge of the map; the east is basically all forest, while the west is all sea, whereas the bottom of the map is just desert, not fire. I assume this is because the eternal flame of the Pole is thousands of miles off the page, whereas the elemental pole of Water may actually be at the very edge of the map.

I play...
                          Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chausse View Post
                            Were the elementals always at the same place during Creation History ? Because if I understood correctly, Creation was way bigger before the Usurpation. Did the Elemental Poles moved with it ?
                            In second ed, it was definitely the case that the Poles were now much closer than they used to be. Which had knock-on effects with, say, the verdant strip around Chiaroscoro and Paragon being way smaller than it used to be, the far north being full of ancient frozen cities that are no longer habitable, etc.

I play...

Comment

• Originally posted by The MG View Post
                              My take:

Feels like the North, either north of Medo and/or Whitewall, or in the undefined area east of Grieve and Fortitude.
                              There did used to be a nomadic horde in that bit. North of Medo works I guess.

The Summer Mountains that divide the Southeast from the South proper, particularly in the great lakes area and in the vicinity of Cinder.
                              Great lakes I don't really agree (that's near Harborhead and, well, great lakes). But the Summer Mountains yeah, that's good thinking.

especially in the Southeast.
                              Honestly, I tend to think of that as Indian, because of Prasad, but south of Prasad there's an enormous Savannah.

I play...

Comment

• Originally posted by Blaque View Post
                                There's bits of the warmer parts of that over near Chiarsocuro too as a note, which has some Steppe culture stuff even if it is warmer/more like the Magreb.
                                I always think of Chiarosocoro as a bit like Baghdad conquered by the Turks (or Mongols, or Timurids).

the big ass lakes near Harborhead probably have a lot of inspration on Eastern Africa and the Great Lakes
                                That works.

Apparently this edition Gem is going to draw on some aspect of some sub-Saharan cultures but it hasn't been said what.
                                I can imagine it as the Islamic empires just on the southern border of the Sahara, that made immense wealth via trade, gold, etc. Mali, Songhay, that kind of thing.

And at least until proven otherwise, I have been going with Ysyr looking like West Africa because all that gold and super idealized human metal sculptures looks pretty cool for a sorcerer kingdom I think.
                                Now that's a different take, I like it.

I play...

Comment

Working...
                                X