Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Blaque View Post
    And at least until proven otherwise, I have been going with Ysyr looking like West Africa because all that gold and super idealized human metal sculptures looks pretty cool for a sorcerer kingdom I think.
    ...I've always had Ysyr as Assyrian (from the sound alone) or Celtic (Irish Island of Ys), but I like this even more. Hm. Time to look up some fashions.

The Book of Laughing Serpents Series(Latest Here)
    Many Limbed Manual
    Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
    San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here Volume 3 here
    My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

• I was going to say, what about Akkadian/Babylonian/Sumerian/etc stuff.

I play...
      Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
      Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

• I see them as a mix of Old Testament Hebrews and Mesopotamian, personally.

It´s only an excuse for magnificent beards, truthfully

Comment

• Originally posted by Clophiroth View Post
          It´s only an excuse for magnificent beards, truthfully
          You never need an excuse for magnificent beards.
          Last edited by vwllss trnt prncss; 11-19-2019, 02:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post

...I've always had Ysyr as Assyrian (from the sound alone) or Celtic (Irish Island of Ys), but I like this even more. Hm. Time to look up some fashions.
            I also for a bit of a personal tastet hing slip in some Afro-Futurism stuff too aesthetically, but that's entirely tangental. Mostly in the whole well, weird sorceorus engines things.

And stuff.
            My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• I have a bit of a trouble remembering and understanding what is allowed (or say authorized) to receive prayers in the Immaculate Faith.

You cannot pray for the Dragons nor the Immaculate Dragons right ? (The Realm P.87 end of page), then what are all the shrines and temples dedicated to them in the Blessed Isle there for ? (p.26 Temples and shrines). What do gods get from prayers ? (I know I asked this already but I don't really know what ambrosia is ...) Why can't you pray for Dragon Blooded ? Is it fair to say only the gods should receive prayer (in due amount) in the Immaculate Philosophy or am I forgetting something ?

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

• Ok, so the Immaculates have a calendar with gods listed on it. You're supposed to pray to the god(s) whose day it is on that calendar and nobody else.

On creation prayers grant the benefits of the Cult merit. In Yu Shan they instead manifest as ambrosia, a substance that can be turned into basically anything the gods need. It's used as currency there and you can also eat it.

Comment

• Ok yeah I had forgotten about the the calendar thing. What about all the stuff with the Dragons, Immaculate Dragons and dragon-blooded ? Why can't they receive prayers ? Why are there temples for them ?

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

• The Immaculate Dragons don’t receive prayers because they don’t actually exist. But within the tenets of the Immaculate Philosophy, I seem to recall the notion that they’re considered to be “above” worship. They don’t need it, or want it.

There are temples devoted to the Immaculate Dragons, mind, but a monastery consecrated to Sextes Jylis is not there to worship him, but as a place where the monks might pursue his particular branch of enlightenment.
                    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 11-20-2019, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                      There are temples devoted to the Immaculate Dragons, mind, but a monastery consecrated to Sextes Jylis is not there to worship him, but as a place where the monks might pursue his particular branch of enlightenment.
                      Oh I see they are part of the corresponding Breath division then I guess ?

Comment

• It seems that the temples to the dragons mostly exist to facilitate the prayers of whatever god it happens to be the day of. Some of the bigger have their own shrines for when it's their turn, but for most you just go to the dragon shrine.

I guess a lot of mortals don't really pay attention to the calendar, They just show up to the temple and pray to whoever they're supposed to that day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                          It seems that the temples to the dragons mostly exist to facilitate the prayers of whatever god it happens to be the day of. Some of the bigger have their own shrines for when it's their turn, but for most you just go to the dragon shrine.

I guess a lot of mortals don't really pay attention to the calendar, They just show up to the temple and pray to whoever they're supposed to that day.
                          Yeah ok I like this idea I think I will take it as presented !

Comment

• Originally posted by Chausse View Post
                            then what are all the shrines and temples dedicated to them in the Blessed Isle there for ?
                            Monumental architecture is a really good way of making the ideology of the ruling power continuously apparent to the masses.

In addition to the stuff like being a focus for contemplation of and dedication to the ideals of the Immaculate Dragons, and housing the worship (and occasionally persons) of gods.

Originally posted by Chausse
                            What do gods get from prayers ? (I know I asked this already but I don't really know what ambrosia is ...)
                            In addition to the free Willpower spending of the Cult Merit and the wealth of ambrosia for those in Heaven, as well as occasionally being a basis for greater power or surviving the destruction of bodies when they lack a sanctum (or at all in the case of elementals and lesser demons), divinities of all kinds seem to just find worship emotionally gratifying. They feel it in a way that humans, even the Exalted, can't, and enjoy it.

That's why you get things like wanting people who can engage in particularly extreme or daring forms of prayer; there's no greater mechanical benefit to it.

Originally posted by Chausse
                            Why can't you pray for Dragon Blooded ?
                            It inflates their ego.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                            Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

Monumental architecture is a really good way of making the ideology of the ruling power continuously apparent to the masses.

In addition to the stuff like being a focus for contemplation of and dedication to the ideals of the Immaculate Dragons, and housing the worship (and occasionally persons) of gods.

In addition to the free Willpower spending of the Cult Merit and the wealth of ambrosia for those in Heaven, as well as occasionally being a basis for greater power or surviving the destruction of bodies when they lack a sanctum (or at all in the case of elementals and lesser demons), divinities of all kinds seem to just find worship emotionally gratifying. They feel it in a way that humans, even the Exalted, can't, and enjoy it.

That's why you get things like wanting people who can engage in particularly extreme or daring forms of prayer; there's no greater mechanical benefit to it.

It inflates their ego.
                              Yeah ok I think I was stuck in my brain because I had a very DDish point of view of temples and didn't see what was the use of having the majority of temples not being usable for prayers.

Comment

• Churches aren't just somewhere to go for worship; they're also for sermons.

Not all religions work like that, and I think most religions in Exalted don't; you go and sacrifice a goat to Hrun-Ba, the god of the local river, so his river won't overflow and drown all your crops. The priests don't preach a sermon about rivers every week.

But I think the Immaculate Monks actually do preach sermons, on living life the Immaculate way. IIRC, the 2nd ed Realm book said all Immaculate worshippers were supposed to go to a sermon alongside other worshippers at least once a month or something.

So there needs to be a building where you can actually go and hear that.

I play...
                                Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
                                Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

Working...
                                X