No announcement yet.

Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actually looking back at NPCs and thinking about consistency between setting presentation and NPC presentation:

1E: "Gender Roles (p148) - In the Realm, gender take a back seat to position within the Perfected Hierarchy. Terrestrial Exaltation occurs with equal frequency to both men and women, and the Dynasty see to it that children are trained in any and all necessary aspects of rulership, regardless of gender. Likewise, neither the Order of the Immaculate Dragons nor the Thousand Scales discriminate between genders. Even slaves are trained for whatever role their masters deem most suitable, regardless of sex. There is some persistent discrimination against men, but it's more of a glass ceiling than a genuine limited - men are generally paid somewhat less, promoted less frequently and treated as somewhat irresponsible, but individual circumstance often differs from the norm. Ultimately, the fact that a character is one of the Dragon-Blooded will have a much greater impact on his role in Realm society than his gender."

Quite a few of the male signature NPCs ended up being Spiral Academy (Belar Noren, Ragara Takar, Kes?), or Cloister of Wisdom (Deled), or weird wizards like Bhagwei who don't actually hold much power (despite a lot of puissance and intellect), or if they started in the Bells have gone down an unconventional path (Nagezzar). Arada is a big soldier, but he's more a very strong, but not highly ranked, tough bully boy than a big ranking five star general. Cathak Cainan is a powerful male figure in a House, of course.

In terms of women who are militarily powerful within their House or the Legions or Navy, you have Peleps Aramida, Mnemon, Tepet Ejava.

There are a lot more male sigs period and in many ways probably better written sigs (for one reason or another, and perhaps that's a flaw to call out), but I would say that in proportion most of them are not very powerful, or not very boosted by promotions (on average they read as if they were probably "paid somewhat less, promoted less frequently and treated as somewhat irresponsible" and somewhat marginalized relative to their underlying skill).

So you could argue that considering powerful high ranked DBs, the rollout of sigs actually wasn't too incongruent with the presentation.

(This is not to get into edition X vs Y and presentation, just to comment that 1e may have been better at presenting things the way it said than it may seem at a quick glance, whether or not what it set out to do is the best presentation).

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghosthead View Post
      It seems a bit cynical on the such people as think it's important to be "progressive" in art etc*, that they would dismiss a setting with lots of active powerful female characters who offer agency and representation, just because they were mostly fairly bad antagonists.

*Notwithstanding whether this is correct or not, notwithstanding whether Exalted does this or not, etcetc.
      Bad antagonists is one of the bigger problems an RPG setting can have.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
      Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

• I think we generally saw more male characters in positions of power in part just to writers, unless prodded, throughout a lot of history have a tendency to write more male characters. Whether or not that was to portray them as incompetent and far of depicting women that way I think is kind of irrelevant, as noted since there's a non-small amount of women written in clichely incompetent-in-Western-culture female ways (like the North Fleet admiral in 1e sleeping her way to the top), or statements of a tendency for women to get to top positions, but most characters in top positions such as named House leaders or institutional leaders being men. The sample DB officer from the 2e corebook also showcases that writes are willing ot write female brutes just fine.

I would say it's just more a bit where the writers of the original DB book point it out, but hten later authors just kind of wrote a default, which was usually a dude. You can see a similar hting happen in Lands of Creation, where every Lunar-Solar pair was a cis married pair save the ones in the chapter written by a guy who actually wants to have more diversity in such things and wiht a pair characters established as not-that already anyways (Leviathan and Arkhadi).

According to the previousd evs for 3e, this was an art note problem too as a note. Artists often would default draw characters as white, or in cases like Nova Clario, telling an artist dark skinned but red hair didn't result in a character looking what was supposed to be considered African or Australnesianly dark, but oftne barely has a tan. This is especially the case it turns out with artists from markets like Asia and such.

In all of this context, that's what Harborhead reads to me. An author defaulting to basing the satrapy on British colonialization, without really much considering of how it might be different in context of Creation.

And stuff.
        My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• Would anyone be interested in seeing a lets read for the 1e aspect books? I’m going through all of them again in preparation for a game and Air so far has been really good.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
            Would anyone be interested in seeing a lets read for the 1e aspect books? I’m going through all of them again in preparation for a game and Air so far has been really good.
            Yes. I would.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by CarnivalCash View Post
              So I vaguely remember reading somewhere in 2e that charms which add (Essence) successes to rolls such as Mental Invisibility Technique don't count against your dice caps from charms. Does anyone know where this might be if it is actually a thing?
              Not sure if I misread the thread's title, but I really kind of need an answer to this question for my build for an upcoming campaign as it will determine which charms I take. Is there nobody here who can provide me an answer?

Comment

• Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
                Would anyone be interested in seeing a lets read for the 1e aspect books? I’m going through all of them again in preparation for a game and Air so far has been really good.
                That would be great

Comment

Not sure if I misread the thread's title, but I really kind of need an answer to this question for my build for an upcoming campaign as it will determine which charms I take. Is there nobody here who can provide me an answer?
                  The sidebar describing dice adders on page 185 of the Second Edition core states that Charms that add automatic successes do not count as increases to the dice pool unless otherwise stated.

But it also states that no combination of Charms can increase a static rating by more than half the constituent Attribute and Ability.

You're free to use full Excellencies with the dice roll in Mental Invisibility Technique.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                  Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

• I can't access my pdfs currently; do Lunars have any way to write books (or letters or pamphlets) quicker?

I play...
                    Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
                    Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                      I can't access my pdfs currently; do Lunars have any way to write books (or letters or pamphlets) quicker?
                      Doesn't look like it. There are a few Lunar Charms related to writing (such as Second Shadow Forgery for convincing forgeries), but there doesn't seem to be a "write faster" Charm anywhere. There's no reason a Lunar couldn't develop that ability, though.

Comment

• They can *Read* hella fast with a Perception Charm, that said! It's something.

Comment

• Isator Levi Thanks, that really helps me out.

Now, a second question; is there anything that allows Infernals to permanently destroy spirits the way that Solars with Ghost-Eating Technique can? I've been looking for some time but the Infernals' charm sets are rather obtuse and I haven't found anything yet.

Comment

Now, a second question; is there anything that allows Infernals to permanently destroy spirits the way that Solars with Ghost-Eating Technique can? I've been looking for some time but the Infernals' charm sets are rather obtuse and I haven't found anything yet.
                            It’s an upgrade to Green Sun Nimbus Flare, but it explicitly doesn’t work on Yozis, Deathlords, and other beings with similar levels of immortality.

Comment

• Was it ever answered whether the “I use the superior of my form or my own physical stats” was a Lunar Shapeshifting thing (and Lunar adjacent, like that kid of Leviathan’s who can turn into an Orca) and thus regular sorcery/sorcerous workings and other modes of shapeshifting can’t do it?

Or is that the general rule now?

Comment

• Is distorting evidence via Master Plan Meditation the only option a Solar larcenist has for falsifying evidence to frame someone else? (Anyone can roll to conceal evidence, but there don't appear to be any non-magical rules for trying to create false clues. You'd think it would be possible, if perhaps quite difficult -- maybe +1 or +2 difficulty would be appropriate?)

I was a bit surprised when I realized that Solars don't seem to get a straightforward "create false evidence" Charm, since Lunars and Dragon-Blooded both do (Night Sky Burial + Wolf Cries Sheep, and Investigation-Deflecting Current, respectively). I guess it wouldn't be hard to write a Solar version, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X