Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
    Is distorting evidence via Master Plan Meditation the only option a Solar larcenist has for falsifying evidence to frame someone else?
    No, you can also plant things on a person using the reverse-pickpocket Charm.

Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
    Anyone can roll to conceal evidence, but there don't appear to be any non-magical rules for trying to create false clues.
    Lore roll to introduce a fact. "The Obsidian Monkey gang in Nexus paints a monkey's paw at the scenes of crimes." Craft (Painting) roll to paint a monkey's paw on the wall as a Basic Project, sped up with Craftsman Needs No Tools.

​Or perhaps, Dexterity + Stealth to steal the Guild factor's distinctive boots while he sleeps; wear these while you murder his political rival, making sure to leave a shoeprint in the victim's blood before rolling Dexterity + Stealth to return the boots.

Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
    I was a bit surprised when I realized that Solars don't seem to get a straightforward "create false evidence" Charm, since Lunars and Dragon-Blooded both do (Night Sky Burial + Wolf Cries Sheep, and Investigation-Deflecting Current, respectively). I guess it wouldn't be hard to write a Solar version, though.
    Eh, sure, that works too.

Comment

• Originally posted by prototype00 View Post
      Was it ever answered whether the “I use the superior of my form or my own physical stats” was a Lunar Shapeshifting thing (and Lunar adjacent, like that kid of Leviathan’s who can turn into an Orca) and thus regular sorcery/sorcerous workings and other modes of shapeshifting can’t do it?

Or is that the general rule now?
      I'd just point out that this isn't really how Lunars work. If the animal has better pools, you get free excellency dice up to either the animal's pool or your normal cap. I guess it's sort of "use the animal's pool" but in practice isn't really.

And for damage, you use the animal's, you can't make a punch attack as a cat if your human Withering punches are better.

For health levels, you use your own.

For soak... I can't remember if you can use your own, you can definitely use the animal's (there's no cap).

So, a Dex 3, Brawl 0 Lunar who turns into a Tyrant Lizard has a measly 6 dice to attack, and can't get more with an excellency (unless they use a stunt). They also only have 7 health levels. But they still do a Tyrant Lizard's enormous damage and have its mighty soak.

It wasn't confirmed if this is a general rule. For spirits switching between forms, I personally wouldn't, for a Solar who used a working to make himself into a were-kraken, I would.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post

I'd just point out that this isn't really how Lunars work. If the animal has better pools, you get free excellency dice up to either the animal's pool or your normal cap. I guess it's sort of "use the animal's pool" but in practice isn't really.

And for damage, you use the animal's, you can't make a punch attack as a cat if your human Withering punches are better.

For health levels, you use your own.

For soak... I can't remember if you can use your own, you can definitely use the animal's (there's no cap).

So, a Dex 3, Brawl 0 Lunar who turns into a Tyrant Lizard has a measly 6 dice to attack, and can't get more with an excellency (unless they use a stunt). They also only have 7 health levels. But they still do a Tyrant Lizard's enormous damage and have its mighty soak.

It wasn't confirmed if this is a general rule. For spirits switching between forms, I personally wouldn't, for a Solar who used a working to make himself into a were-kraken, I would.
        Yeah, I know what the Lunar Shapechanging rules are, no worries.

I just didn't want to have to write out a page of specific information, but suffice to say, Lunars get very advantageous rules for Shapechanging.

If it was me, I'd say that all other methods of changing shape, possibly even Solars, you take the worse of the equation (i.e. if your accuracy is worse, use yours, if the animal's is worse use the animal's).

Solars don't have to be categorically the best at other Splat's core abilities after all.

prototype00

Comment

• Originally posted by prototype00 View Post
          Solars don't have to be categorically the best at other Splat's core abilities after all.

The shapeshifting that Solars get from Artifacts or sorcery won't give them Protean benefits to other Charms.

Being about the same is hardly better, and Lunars have great Charms now, they don't need to hang everything off of their shapeshifting.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Since when could Solars shapeshift at all? If they're doing it through some kind of sorcery then the limits theyre under are defined by that spell or working. It might in that one way be better than Lunar shapeshifting, but it has a dozen other inherently drawbacks.

Comment

• I think Prototype is talking about balance for custom workings; ie, how, as ST, to balance a sorcerer who gives themself the power to turn into a bear or something.

I think that, due to limited shapes, different caps, lack of Protean, the balance might be quite different for such an example than a Lunar.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

• I'd be fine with a Working or Spell that lets you turn into an animal following Lunar Shapeshifting rules: as others have said, the user would not benefit from Protean, Totemic, the incredible synergy Lunar Charms have with animal forms in and of themselves, the only benefits they get is being considered an animal (espionage subterfuge etc) and animal stats and Merits which is balanced by the fact that it's only one animal they have access to, per Spell/Working, compared to Lunars having as many as they can hunt. That said, Minuscule or Legendary Size takes hefty Ambition or Circle in comparison to normal forms imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                  No, you can also plant things on a person using the reverse-pickpocket Charm.

Lore roll to introduce a fact. "The Obsidian Monkey gang in Nexus paints a monkey's paw at the scenes of crimes." Craft (Painting) roll to paint a monkey's paw on the wall as a Basic Project, sped up with Craftsman Needs No Tools.

​Or perhaps, Dexterity + Stealth to steal the Guild factor's distinctive boots while he sleeps; wear these while you murder his political rival, making sure to leave a shoeprint in the victim's blood before rolling Dexterity + Stealth to return the boots.

Eh, sure, that works too.
                  This is good thinking, and I appreciate the reminder that the conceal evidence and case scene actions are not the only way one might interact with a crime scene, but yeah -- while creativity is always good, I do think it should be possible for a Solar assassin to shank someone in an alley and then quickly make it look like a random mugging gone wrong, at least as easily as a Lunar or Dragon-Blood might.

Although now that I think about it...wouldn't copying the Obsidian Monkey gang's paw symbol be more of a Linguistics thing? You're not so much "crafting a painting" as you are "forging a signature" in that case. Flawless Brush Discipline does, notably, reproduce pictograms and illustrations. (Also, wow, the difficulty to overcome Flawless Brush Discipline is pretty high for a 1m Charm that doesn't require you to roll. This would be really useful for a Solar crook.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jefepato View Post

This is good thinking, and I appreciate the reminder that the conceal evidence and case scene actions are not the only way one might interact with a crime scene, but yeah -- while creativity is always good, I do think it should be possible for a Solar assassin to shank someone in an alley and then quickly make it look like a random mugging gone wrong, at least as easily as a Lunar or Dragon-Blood might.

Although now that I think about it...wouldn't copying the Obsidian Monkey gang's paw symbol be more of a Linguistics thing? You're not so much "crafting a painting" as you are "forging a signature" in that case. Flawless Brush Discipline does, notably, reproduce pictograms and illustrations. (Also, wow, the difficulty to overcome Flawless Brush Discipline is pretty high for a 1m Charm that doesn't require you to roll. This would be really useful for a Solar crook.)
                    I think of Master Plan Meditation as more doing these things retroactively. So your assassin handles the job and quickly goes off making it look like a bad mugging, you roll whatever your ST deems appropriate, the investigator comes in and rolls really well and it comes out that an item that can be traced back to you fell off during your setting up of the crime scene. However, you cased out the alley earlier and spent a while planning the fight, hence you have the points to spend and you reveal that you actually had thought this might happen, so you had replaced several of your loose items, including the one that the detective just found, with ones that when examined would actually trace back to the Obsidian Monkey gang while you were handling the job.

As opposed to not being able to plant fake evidence at the scene because you're not using the right charm.

Comment

• What's Heartflame, the latest HDNP? Just deciding whether to buy it.

Comment

What's Heartflame, the latest HDNP? Just deciding whether to buy it.
                        An elemental flame, that grows larger by igniting human passions and causing hearts to explode.

Comment

• Literally an elemental? That's 2 elementals then, cool. Elementals are always useful.

Comment

Literally an elemental? That's 2 elementals then, cool. Elementals are always useful.
                            I'm actually rather happy to see more elementals in general, and some neat new ones at that.

And stuff.
                            My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• Yeah, they are a bit different. The Heartflame is a really interesting concept, though I don't know how practical it would be in a game.

A Twilight having one as a familiar and slowly making it bigger could be interesting.

Comment

• Where is Habourhead in relation to Jiara?

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Working...
                                X