Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
    Where is Habourhead in relation to Jiara?

I beleive on the map, Harborhead is fairly West of Jiara.

The Book of Laughing Serpents Series(Latest Here)
    Many Limbed Manual
    Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
    San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here Volume 3 here
    My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

Where is Habourhead in relation to Jiara?

Harbourhead is south-south-west of Jiara. According to this handy mapping tool, Kirighast, the capital of Harbourhead, is about 925 miles from Jiara. Assuming the description of Harbourhead from 2e holds broadly true, the rest of the country stretches southeast from Kirighast, meaning that all points in it will be further south of Jiara, and some of it might end up east of it..

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post

I beleive on the map, Harborhead is fairly West of Jiara.
        Sorry, to be clear: Kirighast is South-by-South-West of Jiara city.

Where's the boarder between the Satrapy of Jiara and the Satrapy of Harbourhead? Is it the land boarder?
        Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post

Harbourhead is south-south-west of Jiara. According to http://howsfamily.net/Exalted/map/"]this handy mapping tool[/URL], Kirighast, the capital of Harbourhead, is about 925 miles from Jiara. Assuming the description of Harbourhead from 2e holds broadly true, the rest of the country stretches southeast from Kirighast, meaning that all points in it will be further south of Jiara, and some of it might end up east of it..
        Ha! Night Caste-d.

Sooo the peninsula north of Kirighast... part of Jiara or a seperate kingdom?
        Last edited by JohnDoe244; 12-27-2019, 01:24 PM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Where's the boarder between the Satrapy of Jiara and the Satrapy of Harbourhead? Is it the land boarder?
          I'd guess that there's at least one satrapy between Jiara and Harbourhead. Again based on 2e sources, Harbourhead largely stretches southeast, away from its northern border, which Kirighast seems to be quite close too. For Jiara and Harbourhead to share a land border, that would mean that Jiara's border would have to stretch nearly 1000 miles south. That's quite a long way for a low-tech nation, even when high-speed communication is possible. I would think that there's probably at least one, if not more, satrapies between the two, occupying some of that space.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post

I'd guess that there's at least one satrapy between Jiara and Harbourhead. Again based on 2e sources, Harbourhead largely stretches southeast, away from its northern border, which Kirighast seems to be quite close too. For Jiara and Harbourhead to share a land border, that would mean that Jiara's border would have to stretch nearly 1000 miles south. That's quite a long way for a low-tech nation, even when high-speed communication is possible. I would think that there's probably at least one, if not more, satrapies between the two, occupying some of that space.
            Sweet. Thanks.

It's the size of Jiara's Eastern boarder which is throwing me for 6. It says they have access to the jungles as far as the Grey River. I choose to believe that means they trade with the people living that far East, rather than the Satrapy runs from the coast to the Grey River. I wanted to squeeze some homebrew in there. Between Jiara and Harbourhead works. Thanks.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

• Kind of a thing to note, with Harborhead historically been one of the "Eats the map and is too damend big" countries, this would probably further make the two satrapies not have a lot ot do with one-another.

And stuff.
              My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• An interesting character concept came to my mind, but would be dependent on the answer to the question: can a Solar create something that can stabilize a Lunar's caste without having any input from other Exalts?

I express my opinions, but YSMV; Your Stories May Vary.

Formerly known as wyrmpuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Mal'akh View Post
                  An interesting character concept came to my mind, but would be dependent on the answer to the question: can a Solar create something that can stabilize a Lunar's caste without having any input from other Exalts?

It would depend on what you mean by stabilize a Lunar's caste - if you mean, stabilize it as one of the currently existing Lunar castes (New, Changing, and Full Moon), I think I'd allow that. Given at least a description of it being possible, I think a sufficiently Occult-savvy Solar should probably be able to essentially replicate the current moonsilver tattooing process that stabilizes the Caste.

However, if you're talking about stabilizing a Lunar as a totally new Caste, essentially replicating the process that led the Lunars to creating their new set of Castes, post-Usurpation, that I'd be a lot more skeptical of, for a couple of reasons. First, the in-game reason is that I think creating a new Lunar Caste is something that requires considerable "internal" knowledge of how the Lunar Exaltation feels and functions. Only a Lunar really understands the inward experience of being a Lunar sufficiently to mess about with their Exaltation that way. The second, out-of-character reason is that I think it devalues the Lunars' accomplishments to make it duplicable by just a single Solar. Rebuilding the Lunar Castes is something that took most or all of the Lunar savants. Having a lone Solar genius be able to do just as well makes the Lunars look kind of dumb by comparison, and that's something I think the game really needs to avoid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post

It would depend on what you mean by stabilize a Lunar's caste - if you mean, stabilize it as one of the currently existing Lunar castes (New, Changing, and Full Moon), I think I'd allow that. Given at least a description of it being possible, I think a sufficiently Occult-savvy Solar should probably be able to essentially replicate the current moonsilver tattooing process that stabilizes the Caste.
                    I think this would be about equivalent to letting a sufficiently Occult-savvy Solar have an effect on a Terrestrial's progenitive Essence.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• I was working on the assumption that Lunars still had the risk of Chimerism. It seems this is no longer the case and so I don't actually have to worry about a replacement for the tatoos

I express my opinions, but YSMV; Your Stories May Vary.

Formerly known as wyrmpuff

Comment

• Nah, Chimerism is something else now. And Tattoos don't prevent it.

Comment

• I'm pretty sure you would at least need the input and help of the Lunar you're experimenting on.

As Kirighast is (now) on a peninsula, I'm pretty sure the northern border is the end of that peninsula, and the south-western border abuts Varang.

Just across the straits from that peninsula is a bunch of mountains, jungles, etc, and then Jiara is on the other side. Mountain areas tend to be poorly controlled by outsiders, and rarely ormed discrete nation-states historically. Tribes, clans, etc, were more common.

So it could be that Jiara controls those mountains, though I doubt well, it could be there are independent people, it could be another society that pays tribute to the Realm.

Either way,I doubt that Jiaran troops are parked on those straits guarding the mountains behind them from cow-stealing raiders sailing across from Harborhead.

On the other hand, I very much can imagine that a Realm garrison controls those straits (which are definitely next to one satrapy) in order to control access between the Inner Sea and the lake region, especially as that's a trade route to wealthy Prasad.

(I used to run a game in that area, Harborhead and the lake region, so I had to put some thought into this.)
                          Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 12-28-2019, 08:05 AM.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mal'akh View Post
                            I was working on the assumption that Lunars still had the risk of Chimerism. It seems this is no longer the case and so I don't actually have to worry about a replacement for the tatoos
                            Indeed, to be fully Casteless in the long term is not just entirely safe, but carries its own mechanical premises that can be viable to certain build approaches and carries its own story and character beats in Lunar XP.

And if a character does still want a Caste, the tattoos aren't quite as onerous as they used to be; virtually every member of the Silver Pact is trained in fixing a Caste, it only requires as much ceremony as the individual wants to give it, and they see providing one as an obligation to which no conditions are attached. All a new Lunar really needs is to find another, declare what Caste they desire, and an hour later that literally can be the last they ever deal with other Lunars.

Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                            Nah, Chimerism is something else now. And Tattoos don't prevent it.
                            It's not even really called chimerism now, and I feel as though that term has enough baggage from two Editions to be worth not associating with just having another animal blended into one's spirit shape.

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                            I'm pretty sure you would at least need the input and help of the Lunar you're experimenting on.
                            Hmm, I think that's a poor choice of words.

I'm sure a Solar with the correct expertise and tools could investigate towards the purpose of finding a very sophisticated descriptive model for exactly why they are unable to intrude upon this domain.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• I do wonder if a casteless lunar who knew how to apply tattoos could talk a non-lunar through applying them to themselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                                I do wonder if a casteless lunar who knew how to apply tattoos could talk a non-lunar through applying them to themselves.
                                Giving someone shaping defenses?

Comment

Working...
                                X