No announcement yet.

Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like the zoomed-in map you made, how'd you make it?

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
      My guess is that sorcery/necromancy were a more casual thing that it was assumed a lot of high-xp characters would pick up. Whereas in 3rd ed it is supposed to be more character-defining. And so, as it wasn't a significant part of his character, it was cut.
      I seem to recall a statement from one of the early books (not sure if it was 1e or 2e) that in the First Age, every educated Exalt became a sorcerer eventually. It would not surprise me if that were no longer true.

TBH, sorcery is so damned useful that not picking it up sooner or later seems a little odd to me, but not everyone behaves "optimally," and not everyone has a high opinion of sorcerers. (But if nothing else, sorcery very nearly has the market cornered on really fast ways to travel -- doing without it seems like it would really sting for someone trying to exert influence on a large area of the world, and I thought Ma-Ha-Suchi's territory was supposed to be pretty damned big.)

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
        I like the zoomed-in map you made, how'd you make it?
        I used the Inkarnate map-making website, it's not perfect but it works pretty well for making campaign maps without too much effort.

Comment

• How long does it take to summon and binf an elemental/demon? Could it done during combat? If yes how long a combat would it have to be for it to be viable?

Comment

• Originally posted by light-hero View Post
            How long does it take to summon and binf an elemental/demon? Could it done during combat? If yes how long a combat would it have to be for it to be viable?
            The ritual is lengthy, and in the case of demons can only be conducted at certain times of night.

There's the precedent of an Artifact that can build towards a more rapid summoning, although I think in most cases a sorcerer wants to have summoned ahead of time and keep the spirits in reserve to materialize.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
            Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

How long does it take to summon and binf an elemental/demon? Could it done during combat? If yes how long a combat would it have to be for it to be viable?
              Summon Elemental is on page 475: Casting this spell requires a ritual of four hours

Demon of the First Circle is on page 473: This spell requires a ritual that begins at sundown, and ends at the stroke of midnight.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

As previously mentioned - it takes hours, so not really combat scale.

However, demons have the charm "hurry home", which lets them teleport to their summoner. If you summon demons beforehand, and have them wait in a secure location, you could cast infallible messenger and have them arrive in a few turns.

The Twilight anima power that stores spirit familiars can allow you to deploy previously-summoned elementals even faster.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
                  Are the Hundred Kingdoms north of Vaneha, in that big plain? Or are they south? Where are they, exactly?
                  Third Edition core notes only that they are vaguely east of the River Provinces. The Realm notes that Robe, one of the Hundred Kingdoms, lies near enough to Greyfalls to be of concern.
                  Originally posted by Epitome View Post
                  I've placed the Hundred Kingdoms here for my Hundred Kingdoms campaign, based on this map of a previous edition.
                  Well, Compass: East and Compass: Scavenger Lands both place it east of the Grey River and west of the Republic of Chaya -with the Lost City of Denandsor being in the heart of the Hundred Kingdoms--, but also north of the Yellow River, between Marita and Greyfalls.

Fair Folk, the Arczeckh Horde, and other denizens of the South East were variously noted as having invaded THK through Chaya. Greyfalls is also fearful of attack by the Hundred Kingdoms.

But the Nameless Lair of Ma-ha-Suchi has migrated between editions, from near Greyfalls to south of the Scavenger Lands, and the neighbourhood of Rathess likewise relocated farther east. So second edition descriptions are not set in stone.
                  Last edited by Greyman; 12-30-2019, 01:11 AM.

Comment

• I have always considered that The Hundred Kingdoms occupy the area loosely bounded by Sijan, Linowan, Halta, Greyfalls and the Yellow River.

I express my opinions, but YSMV; Your Stories May Vary.

Formerly known as wyrmpuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Jefepato View Post

I seem to recall a statement from one of the early books (not sure if it was 1e or 2e) that in the First Age, every educated Exalt became a sorcerer eventually. It would not surprise me if that were no longer true.

TBH, sorcery is so damned useful that not picking it up sooner or later seems a little odd to me, but not everyone behaves "optimally," and not everyone has a high opinion of sorcerers. (But if nothing else, sorcery very nearly has the market cornered on really fast ways to travel -- doing without it seems like it would really sting for someone trying to exert influence on a large area of the world, and I thought Ma-Ha-Suchi's territory was supposed to be pretty damned big.)
                      It's less important for a Lunar: birds can cover thousands of miles with ease, and that doesn't cost Ma-Ha-Suchi a wp or look really obvious. I still see your point though.

But, I think a big change in-setting between 2nd and 3rd editions is that most people, and even most Exalted, can't learn sorcery. Any PC who wants to learn sorcery probably happens to be able to, but the ST will still have to set up them meeting a demon teacher or something. But a lot of NPCs can't learn it; it's a character-defining thing, not just another charm. And having several example elders who don't know it (Ma-Ha-Suchi, Leviathan, etc) makes this clear.

I run... Lunars: The Apocalypse! Exalted 3rd edition. Fimbulwinter is upon the world as an Ice Age begins, and only six young Lunar heroes have a chance of saving humanity.

Comment

• Yeah, I think the percentage of exalts who know sorcery could well be higher than the percentage of mortals who do, but not because exaltation itself intrinsically makes sorcery easier

Rather, there are a few factors that influence the correlation separately. People with a knack for sorcery have a certain mindset, which lends itself to being the sort who get into the adventures that get you exalted, so there may be a slightly higher base level of potential, but also sometimes exaltation might provide the perspective change you needed to learn.

Furthermore being an exalted gives you the time and resources to study. A lot of mortals who could learn sorcery if they tried never get the chance to.

So that's my view. It's more common, but for reasons only tangentially related to exaltation.

Comment

• So I'm writing a story. Good.

So the group of travellers went through cecylene, entering the demon city after passing through a gate set in an immense basalt wall.

They enter...to see the green sun. Malfeas is a Dyson Sphere. So thus, there is no horizon. What horizon there is, is basically an urban landscape *curving upwards* so that as it gradually fades into the distance, you see the rooftops instead of walls.

The question is, how do they interact with Malfeas multiple layers? On top is the green sun. Below, is the catacombs and Kimberry

Comment

• Ok, so there should also be a "ceiling" made of another layer that you can't actually see because the green sun can always be seen no matter which layer you're on. And there are like, staircases and tunnels connecting everything, I think.

Comment

• Don't forget about the basalt roads and bypasses spoken into existence.

Comment

• Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
                                The question is, how do they interact with Malfeas multiple layers? On top is the green sun. Below, is the catacombs and Kimberry
                                Walking mostly. Occassionally running from layers smashing into each other.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Working...
                                X