Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Don't forget about the basalt roads and bypasses spoken into existence.
    I know that it's a Dyson Sphere, so... How are the roads and bypasses connected? Unless it isn't a continuous surface...

Comment

• Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
      I know that it's a Dyson Sphere, so... How are the roads and bypasses connected? Unless it isn't a continuous surface...
      They don't connect to each other. The Prince Upon the Tower speaks them into existence.

Comment

They don't connect to each other. The Prince Upon the Tower speaks them into existence.
        Yes. I know. The prince speaks and Roads and bridges connect the different plates.

So let me get this straight. It's interlocking plates. The layer of Malfeas aren't one continuous Sphere.

Comment

Yes. I know. The prince speaks and Roads and bridges connect the different plates.

So let me get this straight. It's interlocking plates. The layer of Malfeas aren't one continuous Sphere.
          By my understanding, it's fairly necessary, so one can have the layers grind together.

​The Demon City isn't literally a Dyson sphere - that's just the closest sci-fi analogy, and there's quite a few folks on the Internet that are ride-or-die for their sci-fi analogies.

Comment

By my understanding, it's fairly necessary, so one can have the layers grind together.

​The Demon City isn't literally a Dyson sphere - that's just the closest sci-fi analogy, and there's quite a few folks on the Internet that are ride-or-die for their sci-fi analogies.
            OK. I think I get it now. Thanks.

So the demon city is... Cacophonous? Loud? Continuous singing and dancing and instrumentation? Should it sound like there is a tune, or just a dull clamour?

Comment

So the demon city is... Cacophonous? Loud? Continuous singing and dancing and instrumentation? Should it sound like there is a tune, or just a dull clamour?
              I'd say that it should be a pretty loud place, but it doesn't have to necessarily be deafening or without an underlying rhythm. Especially given how various demon princes and citizens might organize their serfs, assemble choirs or even construct special instruments.

Comment

OK. I think I get it now. Thanks.

Malfeas! Malfeas!
                It's a hell of a town!

It takes five days to get here and not another minute,
                To see the famous sights!
                We'll find the romance and danger waiting in it
                Beneath the Green Sun's light;
                But we've hair on our chests
                So what we like the best are the nights,
                Sights! Lights! Nights!

Malfeas, Malfeas,
                It's a hell of a town,
                The Green Sun's up,
                And the acid sea down!
                The nightmares crawl from a hole in the ground!
                Malfeas, Malfeas, it's a helluva town!

Hey, D-B! DB, look! DB it says here "There are 20,000 streets in spoken into existence by Jacient, not counting The Street of Golden Laterns at the heart of Green-Witch Village, a charming thoroughfare filled with..."

Here we go again!

The famous places to visit are so many
                Or so the guidebooks say
                I promised Conqy I wouldn't miss on any
                And we have just one day
                Got to see the whole town
                From the Quarter on down to the Bay

In just one day!
                Malfeas, Malfeas, a visitor's place
                Where no one lives on account of the pace
                But untold billions are screaming for space
                Malfeas, Malfeas, it's a visitor's place!

Hey! Look who's comin' back! It's Adorjan and Ebby!

Hey, Adjoran, Ebby! Hey, fellas, how are the Neverborn?

Wonderful - I don't remember a thing!

Awful! I remember everything!

Demonic women are dressed in silk and ease
                Or so the fellas say;
                There's just one thing that's important in Malfeas,
                When you have just one day;
                Gotta pick up a date

Maybe seven
                Or eight
                On your way
                In just one day!

Malfeas, Malfeas,
                It's a hell of a town,
                The Green Sun's up,
                And the acid sea down!
                The nightmares crawl from a hole in the ground!
                Malfeas, Malfeas, it's a helluva town!

Yeah... I don't think there should be one unified "tune". It should be a riot of sound like NYC.
                Last edited by JohnDoe244; 12-30-2019, 01:27 PM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

​The Demon City isn't literally a Dyson sphere - that's just the closest sci-fi analogy
                  Is it, though? Where do we first get the idea that the bottommost layer of Malfeas is spherical?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                  Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

Is it, though? Where do we first get the idea that the bottommost layer of Malfeas is spherical?
                    From the position of Lieger('s forge) at the centre of Malfeas.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                      Is it, though?
                      I don't recall any other notions of a structure being constructed around a sun.

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                      Where do we first get the idea that the bottommost layer of Malfeas is spherical?
                      I'm not saying that it's spherical - again, that's why I said "it's the closest," not "this is what it literally is."

Comment

• The layers of Malfeas are spherical, but they also all have walls which touch a two-dimensional plane that is the Desert Cecylene.

This was av ideo about math, but I have kind of thought of Malfeas as kind of being a bit...higher dimension than just a sphere. A lot of its weirdness looks like a hypersphere, and how the hell thsoe work is visualized pretty well here, though it's a longer one.
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4EgbgTm0Bg

And stuff.
                        My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• I'm not sure "down" is all that consistent there either. And Ligier is always above you no matter what direction local "down" is.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post

It's less important for a Lunar: birds can cover thousands of miles with ease, and that doesn't cost Ma-Ha-Suchi a wp or look really obvious. I still see your point though.

But, I think a big change in-setting between 2nd and 3rd editions is that most people, and even most Exalted, can't learn sorcery. Any PC who wants to learn sorcery probably happens to be able to, but the ST will still have to set up them meeting a demon teacher or something. But a lot of NPCs can't learn it; it's a character-defining thing, not just another charm. And having several example elders who don't know it (Ma-Ha-Suchi, Leviathan, etc) makes this clear.
                            Does it actually say somewhere in the books that most people can't learn sorcery? I have no doubt that learning sorcery is hard -- both in terms of general effort required, and in willingness to change one's mindset to embrace whatever enlightenment one finds -- and that many people (perhaps even most would-be sorcerers) may have tried and failed (for any number of reasons), but that's not quite the same as most people being flat-out unable to learn it.

But then, perhaps the issue is less that only a few people have some special trait that makes sorcery possible, and more that sorcery is just that hard -- so, most people can't learn sorcery in the same way that most people can't learn quantum physics?

Comment

• I just wanted to add, there are demons who eat people on one layer and spit them back up on another. You can leap off a layer to another below. At some point, if you are too "Low" you can find pools of acid, or even an ocean of it. Also, can ignore basic geometry and build impossible buildings and connect layers in ways that would boggle the mind of mortals. So it is easy for demons to move about or reach where they want to reach. But it takes a lifetime of knowledge to really navigate. Also, the layers somehow all connect to the same desert. Yeah, normal logic need not apply.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
                                Does it actually say somewhere in the books that most people can't learn sorcery? . . . perhaps the issue is less that only a few people have some special trait that makes sorcery possible, and more that sorcery is just that hard -- so, most people can't learn sorcery in the same way that most people can't learn quantum physics?
                                Well, to drag out the example of Ysyr again:
                                But without the science of the Solars to regulate sorcerous engines beneath the city, Essence emanations warped the Ys, twisting their bodies and minds—and, through chance, attuning them to the power of sorcery.

But only a handful of Ysyr’s people can master the sorcerous arts. These few form the ruling class, identified not merely by their elaborate finery, but also by their sorcerously endowed physical perfection. The rest of the city’s people forever bear the marks of lesser mutation—marks of servitude, for in Ysyr, all who are not sorcerers are slaves.
                                So, in a whole city of people who have been attuned to sorcery, "only a handful can" become sorcerers.

What exactly that means is not explicit, but I think the most logical exegesis is that to become a sorcerer, you 1) have to be attuned by some means to the power of sorcery, and 2) you have to have some other quality or qualities of person (drive, insight, openness to discarding preconceptions, etc.) to be able to direct that power. And that the first of those is actually the lesser hurdle.

Comment

Working...
                                X