No announcement yet.

Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Though notably, the different areas of the Underworld, beyond the shadowlands, don't correspond with Creation 1:1. So while there are regions built on memories fo the residents and such, it is a myriad smaller realms that are connected by the Underwolrd waterways, which to my udnerstanding are themselves things of mystery, memory, and strange forces of the lands fo the dead. A map of the whole Underworld if one oculd be consturcted, won't be Creation with a sepia filter.

And stuff.
    My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
      If 2e's Underworld was a mirror of Creation, 3e's Underworld is a broken mirror, with the varying pieces not quite fitting together, and reflecting things differently. If 2e's Underworld was like a memory of Creation, 3e's Underworld is the kind of memory that changes over time, idealizing itself further each time it is recalled.
      Do we have any other other information about the Underworld yet in 3e? I'm guessing there might be some tidbits in Hundred Devils and Adversaries, but I haven't even looked at those yet. Going to wait until they're compiled at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reminiscent Oasis View Post
        I'm guessing there might be some tidbits in Hundred Devils and Adversaries, but I haven't even looked at those yet.
        Hundred Devils has Haunts, Doppelgangers, Rantai, Bloodworms, Ghostfishers, Nameless Wretches, Barrow Hounds, Susurrus, Walkuren, Gravehounds, the Forlorn Manor, White Robes and Griefbees.

Adversaries has Ku Nenaveya, ixier, and the Prince Resplendent.

​While none of these say overmuch about the Underworld in particular, together they seem to paint it as an altogether more vivid place than it was previously.
        Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 01-07-2020, 06:37 AM.

Comment

• I'll have to check those out once the compilations are available.

In the meantime, another mechanics question. When a character delays in combat, do they declare what tick they'd like to delay to or declare they'd like to act now when an opportune tick arrives?

Comment

I'll have to check those out once the compilations are available.

In the meantime, another mechanics question. When a character delays in combat, do they declare what tick they'd like to delay to or declare they'd like to act now when an opportune tick arrives?
            I’m pretty sure that after their tick they’re basically flagged as delaying until they decide to act. Do note though that you can’t keep delaying over to the start of the next round or anything, if the round ends and you didn’t act then you missed your shot. Of course you can always just wait for the end of the round and take your action at the last second.

What it stops you from doing though is you can’t really delay to clash somebody with higher initiative than you, for example.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
              I’m pretty sure that after their tick they’re basically flagged as delaying until they decide to act. Do note though that you can’t keep delaying over to the start of the next round or anything, if the round ends and you didn’t act then you missed your shot. Of course you can always just wait for the end of the round and take your action at the last second.
              This is more or less what I've come to think on the matter as well. When I initially read about delaying though I thought you had to say what Tick you wanted to act on instead. Then I realized that if you did that with intent to Clash, the other character could just Delay their own action too if they wanted to avoid the Clash for some reason, forcing you to either delay again (and spend the initiative to do so) or forsake the potential Clash. I was hoping that wasn't how the situation would get resolved.

Comment

This is more or less what I've come to think on the matter as well. When I initially read about delaying though I thought you had to say what Tick you wanted to act on instead. Then I realized that if you did that with intent to Clash, the other character could just Delay their own action too if they wanted to avoid the Clash for some reason, forcing you to either delay again (and spend the initiative to do so) or forsake the potential Clash. I was hoping that wasn't how the situation would get resolved.
                Or indeed just be knocked down by one of your allies who screws up your attempt to clash by knocking the enemy off the tick you chose.

Comment

with the 2i cost, it can't be activated until a Join Battle roll has been made. Is this accurate?
                  Incorrect. Charms that have initiative in their cost but can be used outside of combat lose the initiative cost when used outside of combat. Occasionally the charm will say like 3m OR 3i, in which case the mote cost MUST be used outside of combat.

Comment

Incorrect. Charms that have initiative in their cost but can be used outside of combat lose the initiative cost when used outside of combat. Occasionally the charm will say like 3m OR 3i, in which case the mote cost MUST be used outside of combat.
                    I was hoping that was the case but didn't see anywhere that explained that. Do you know off-hand where this is stated?

Comment

• Reminiscent Oasis: The information above derives from a sidebar on page 351 of the corebook.

Comment

• Originally posted by The MG View Post
                        Reminiscent Oasis: The information above derives from a sidebar on page 351 of the corebook.
                        Thanks!

Is it just me or does the Core book really like to squirrel away information in unusual places? I figured this would have been mentioned upfront when describing Charm costs, especially since the example given there explicitly mentions being unable to activate Charms if you don't have sufficient initiative to cover the cost.

Comment

Thanks!

Is it just me or does the Core book really like to squirrel away information in unusual places? I figured this would have been mentioned upfront when describing Charm costs, especially since the example given there explicitly mentions being unable to activate Charms if you don't have sufficient initiative to cover the cost.
                          Yeah like why is aiming near the archery charms? Why aren’t the limitations of Fivefold Bulwark Stance in the charm text?

Comment

Yeah like why is aiming near the archery charms? Why aren’t the limitations of Fivefold Bulwark Stance in the charm text?
                            At least the elaboration on Aiming is relevant to archery, though the sidebar would have been better placed near the description of the Aim action in the system chapter.

I'm absolutely puzzled why the initiative-waving sidebar is mixed in with the Melee charms. I don't see any of those as being particularly viable outside of combat.

Comment

At least the elaboration on Aiming is relevant to archery, though the sidebar would have been better placed near the description of the Aim action in the system chapter.

I'm absolutely puzzled why the initiative-waving sidebar is mixed in with the Melee charms. I don't see any of those as being particularly viable outside of combat.
                              Probably because Sandstorm Wind Attack could be used to cut the rope of someone about to be hanged or assist in a feat of ranged demolition.

Comment

Is it just me or does the Core book really like to squirrel away information in unusual places?
                                Oh yes. For extra fun, it occasionally likes to put rules relating to a topic in multiple different places, with differences between them. For example, the rules for training animals are found in a) the Survival familiar-training charm, where it involves an extended roll, with penalties based on how wild/tame the animal is; and b) the rules for animals in the Antagonists chapter, where it's still an extended roll, but now the difficulty of the roll is set by the tameness/wildness of the animal. The corebook isn't the worst-organized RPG rulebook I've ever read, but it's by no means the best, either. Fortunately, later books in the line have largely eliminated this issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X