Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Reminiscent Oasis View Post
    What sort of Socialize-based actions are available? I noticed that White Veil Style negates flurry penalties if at least one of your actions is Socialized-based. Obviously you can use it to read intentions. Can you use Socialize for normal influence rolls to (at least one Solar Charm seems to indicate that you can)? If so, in what context would you use Socialize in place of Presence or Performance?
    Yeah you absolutely can, but the cases are more limited. You use socialize in places where you're leveraging kind of formal social encounters like high castle galas or something, or using etiquette. Like instilling an intimacy by making a biting comment about a piece of gossip might be viable for socialize, I think.

Although again I'd caution not to allow it's use to grow out of control since it's also Read Intentions and Guile. Then again in certain games Sail or Survival can become vastly better than normal, so intrigue in high castle should see more use of it than normal.

Comment

• Knight Raiton has used Socialize to smooth over details during a meeting with the Council of Entities. To persuade one of his fellow PCs to let an insult slide, or to intimidate a man dangling upside-down from a tightrope, he used Presence.

Comment

• This is related to a question I asked a while ago. Since mortals can no longer learn Martial Arts charms, is there currently a reason any mortal character would have the Martial Arts Merit and Skill, other than flavor. Can they even acquire the Merit if they wanted to?

Comment

• Originally posted by Reminiscent Oasis View Post
          This is related to a question I asked a while ago. Since mortals can no longer learn Martial Arts charms, is there currently a reason any mortal character would have the Martial Arts Merit and Skill, other than flavor. Can they even acquire the Merit if they wanted to?
          Some Martial Arts permit you to do things impossible without them. Air Dragon Style's melee-chakrams and Wood Dragon Style's staff-bow come to mind. Air Dragon is actually pretty amazing for a mortal, since it gives them Thrown, Brawl, and Melee competence for the price of one Ability.
          Also, if there's any suggestion whatsoever that the character will Exalt then they'd better have their Martial Artist dots paid and Martial Art bought if they want Martial Arts charms anytime soon.

Comment

• By RAW, (which a lot of people don't follow) a mortal needs the MA merit to get the dots of martial arts.

This is usually not a very good deal, unless you go all the way to 5 dots in one that can be used both unarmed and with a weapon. This works out to be slightly cheaper than buying brawl and melee all the way up to 5.

Comment

• Or a ranged weapon and a melee weapon, like Righteous Devil, or a ranged weapon and a treated-as-a-melee weapon and unarmed, like Air Dragon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                By RAW, (which a lot of people don't follow) a mortal needs the MA merit to get the dots of martial arts.

This is usually not a very good deal, unless you go all the way to 5 dots in one that can be used both unarmed and with a weapon. This works out to be slightly cheaper than buying brawl and melee all the way up to 5.
                When you say a mortal you also mean an Exalted right ? Because every single player I've seen have payed the MA merit at 4 to unlock Martial Arts, there is no mistake in doing this right ?

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

• Originally posted by Chausse View Post
                  When you say a mortal you also mean an Exalted right ? Because every single player I've seen have payed the MA merit at 4 to unlock Martial Arts, there is no mistake in doing this right ?
                  You're doing it right. My earlier question was about how relevant the Merit and the associated Ability are to regular mortals who can't learn Martial Arts charms. Elfive was describing a situation in which a mortal might want to Martial Arts Ability, and therefore have use for a Merit that's mostly only good for Exalts and other Essence-users.

Comment

• It’s not really super worth for a mortal though, even though it’s not useless it’s a 4 dot merit which is pretty steep even for exalts who get way more use out of it.

Comment

• Yeah okay. It's true I considered lowering its cost, I hardly find this merit worth its cost, be it narratively (very few suggestions and options to make your MA very interesting for the campaign) and mechanically (which is fine, I wouldn't want a merit that costs 4 and basically makes you better that anyone not having this merit, this would suck. But then, why is this merit so expensive ?)

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

• Although the fluff says learning a martial art requires access to a sifu to teach you or at least books on the subject.

You could consider the merit to represent that, with the attendant ally/mentor benefits that come with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elfive View Post
                          Although the fluff says learning a martial art requires access to a sifu to teach you or at least books on the subject.

You could consider the merit to represent that, with the attendant ally/mentor benefits that come with it.
                          Yeah I guess I never thought of that. I like the idea I might actually keep it.

Comment

• About MA 4 dots merit

For me it is to underline that Sorcery and MA are NOT like the other abilities and powers in Exalted. They take a fundamental central place in your character way of seeing, understanding, and interacting with the world. Most players (Exalted characters) I have seen with it underplay that part a lot, too much for me even. So it's not just mechanical I would think, its a cost that should be reflected in the construction of the character : you have payed it so now make the better of it.

Build on it, milk it. Create lessons and fables and traditions and constraints... Yes the ST should/could help you with it (at least to check it is ok with her setting), but if I have a player who's not up for it then I don't offer it. It is vastly different than Solar intuitive Charms and should be treated as such.

What was your way of life before ? During your training (which is never over) ? After ? What is your view that changed the most ? What was revealed to you when you glanced slightly at the Perfected Lotus of Understanding during your meditations and training ? What are you proud of now that you know it ?

It should be different than "oh that year I joined a gym and it had a judo class thrice a week".

You have to internalize deeply what your martial art is about. So now the question is : what is it about ? Now you're talking to me

Why Martial Art is expensive for mortal then ? Because I link it to Shaolin Monasteries : yes you learn a way of fighting, but also a way of living. You hold a special place in the society, apart but with heavy duties, responsibilities, a religious dogma, a special way of seeing Nature, a philosophy, mythos and legends proper to the lessons given, traditions, clothes, food, art...

For a mortal it should encompass her whole life. Free for you to choose if it was uplifting, or a taint, but it matters.

(Merits in 2ed were called Backgrounds and I think MA is better understood as a background cost than a merit, if you follow my thoughts...)

Yes you can see it as a cost, but every cost is an opportunity for a good story !!

And as everything that's in your BG : if it's not shared during the games at the tables and it's just for you to know... Well go write a novel ?

(Again : those are personal points of view on how I run and like my games. To each its own.)

Comment

• I would add also that if relevant I would let the player add some dice to all MA side-related rolls too. When it is fluff.

Come across a style you don't know ? Add 2 dice to perception+awareness or MA to get a 'feel' of it.
                              Get a room in a foreign temple for a night ? Make a Int+Lore + 2 dice to know the history of the place. Make a Cha+Soc+2 to know the customs.
                              Sing a poem of your MA ? Cha+Perf+2

Etc. And that would be without the stunt. You bring it to life and the table enjoy it, as a ST I would reward you too

Comment

• Side note (sorry for the spam) :

If someone were to learn a MA in game yes she would pay the 4 dot merit but, as I would make a 'quest' out of this, the merit Sifu would be obtained through Story and waived

Comment

Working...
                                X