Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Crop Weaver View Post
    About MA 4 dots merit

For me it is to underline that Sorcery and MA are NOT like the other abilities and powers in Exalted. They take a fundamental central place in your character way of seeing, understanding, and interacting with the world. Most players (Exalted characters) I have seen with it underplay that part a lot, too much for me even. So it's not just mechanical I would think, its a cost that should be reflected in the construction of the character : you have payed it so now make the better of it.

Build on it, milk it. Create lessons and fables and traditions and constraints... Yes the ST should/could help you with it (at least to check it is ok with her setting), but if I have a player who's not up for it then I don't offer it. It is vastly different than Solar intuitive Charms and should be treated as such.

What was your way of life before ? During your training (which is never over) ? After ? What is your view that changed the most ? What was revealed to you when you glanced slightly at the Perfected Lotus of Understanding during your meditations and training ? What are you proud of now that you know it ?

It should be different than "oh that year I joined a gym and it had a judo class thrice a week".

You have to internalize deeply what your martial art is about. So now the question is : what is it about ? Now you're talking to me

Why Martial Art is expensive for mortal then ? Because I link it to Shaolin Monasteries : yes you learn a way of fighting, but also a way of living. You hold a special place in the society, apart but with heavy duties, responsibilities, a religious dogma, a special way of seeing Nature, a philosophy, mythos and legends proper to the lessons given, traditions, clothes, food, art...

For a mortal it should encompass her whole life. Free for you to choose if it was uplifting, or a taint, but it matters.

(Merits in 2ed were called Backgrounds and I think MA is better understood as a background cost than a merit, if you follow my thoughts...)

Yes you can see it as a cost, but every cost is an opportunity for a good story !!

And as everything that's in your BG : if it's not shared during the games at the tables and it's just for you to know... Well go write a novel ?

(Again : those are personal points of view on how I run and like my games. To each its own.)
    I like all those ideas but there is very few support and tools in the Core book to either give the ST lots of ideas to build things around that one player that took MA (which come at the expense of his personal time or the time of other players), or to make the player understand the engagement of taking the Martial Art.

My homebrew (Leave comments if you want to help improve) : A quick recap of all the pools and stats for Quick Exalted 3E characters

Comment

• Originally posted by Crop Weaver View Post
      You have to internalize deeply what your martial art is about. So now the question is : what is it about ? Now you're talking to me

Why Martial Art is expensive for mortal then ? Because I link it to Shaolin Monasteries : yes you learn a way of fighting, but also a way of living. You hold a special place in the society, apart but with heavy duties, responsibilities, a religious dogma, a special way of seeing Nature, a philosophy, mythos and legends proper to the lessons given, traditions, clothes, food, art...

For a mortal it should encompass her whole life. Free for you to choose if it was uplifting, or a taint, but it matters.
      I...don't think you actually do have to internalize it. It really isn't like sorcery -- you don't fundamentally need to change your perspective to learn a fighting style.

I mean, the description of Righteous Devil Style talks openly about the fact that some martial artists learn the style without giving a damn about the philosophy behind it. To the extent other styles come with philosophies attached (I'm sure many of them do, though possibly to a less formal extent than the Righteous Devil's code of punishing the wicked with cleansing flames of justice), it's probably the same there.

Does it make you an inferior martial artist if you just learn the combat techniques and ignore all that other stuff? Many people would probably say so, but in game terms it really doesn't and shouldn't make a difference.

It's cool to build major aspects of your character around the style(s) you practice, but IMO it's just as interesting if your character doesn't live the way his sifu probably wants him to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jefepato View Post

I...don't think you actually do have to internalize it. It really isn't like sorcery -- you don't fundamentally need to change your perspective to learn a fighting style.

I mean, the description of Righteous Devil Style talks openly about the fact that some martial artists learn the style without giving a damn about the philosophy behind it. To the extent other styles come with philosophies attached (I'm sure many of them do, though possibly to a less formal extent than the Righteous Devil's code of punishing the wicked with cleansing flames of justice), it's probably the same there.

Does it make you an inferior martial artist if you just learn the combat techniques and ignore all that other stuff? Many people would probably say so, but in game terms it really doesn't and shouldn't make a difference.

It's cool to build major aspects of your character around the style(s) you practice, but IMO it's just as interesting if your character doesn't live the way his sifu probably wants him to.
        I totally agree that it should not affect game mechanics. And yes disagreements are really interesting too !

One of the best example for me would be the character development of Zuko in the Last Airbender cartoon, and how it is linked with his relationship with his uncle and his sister, and how it is different from Aang's memories of the Fire Nation's culture too !

As long as it's treated as opportunities and not constraints I think there are many way to make your games better through MA culture (and not just philosophy).

And yes Chausse, there is not many things in the Core book about that which means it's time to spend on your side... Maybe it will be a focus in a supplement for MA ? Who knows

Comment

• On the matter of the Martial Arts Merit not being worth it for non-Exalts... we really need those martial arts techniques that were dropped from earlier iterations

I express my opinions, but YSMV; Your Stories May Vary.

Formerly known as wyrmpuff

Comment

• Originally posted by Mal'akh View Post
            On the matter of the Martial Arts Merit not being worth it for non-Exalts... we really need those martial arts techniques that were dropped from earlier iterations
            They’re hard to balance but a good compromise is letting certain martial arts grant unarmed attacks certain tags. So Snake allows you to make piercing attacks, and maybe flexible, for example.

Comment

On the matter of the Martial Arts Merit not being worth it for non-Exalts... we really need those martial arts techniques that were dropped from earlier iterations
              Meh. Since the game doesn't use PC rules for NPCs, it means nothing more than that if you're doing an extended PC-mortals-being-mortals campaign (which the mortals rules in the core were explicitly not intended for), you just need to change the pricing of the Merit.

Comment

• There’s a book on the Vault that has a nice system for giving Martial Artists an extra punch (it’s meant for NPCs but I think it’s cool)

The Book of Laughing Serpents Series(Latest Here)
                Many Limbed Manual
                Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
                San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here Volume 3 here
                My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

Rather introduce more complexity and such, I kind of personally think having the MAs Merit allow you to buy Charms, but otherwise you could buy the Ability, is what I would personaly do. Maybe even shift its prerequisite to having dots in MAs of some sort already. That way mortals who want them can have them, while Exalts who want the Charms still have to do the bit extra so they don't dip into them willy nilly.

And stuff.
                  My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
                    There’s a book on the Vault that has a nice system for giving Martial Artists an extra punch (it’s meant for NPCs but I think it’s cool)
                    This too a bit. I think MAs are often a good way to jusitfy some other Merits that might fit the character and the style. Tiger Style letting you take some of the Soak or health level ones, or Snake justifying you having fast reflexes and such. Plus as noted, if it is a concern for mortals-onlyc ampaigns...just don't charge it for mortals since its main price point is aimed at Exalts.

And stuff.
                    My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• Do any (non-Exalted) mortals live in Yushan?

..."But I've bought a big bat, I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"

Message me for Japanese translations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sorcerous Overlord View Post
                        Do any (non-Exalted) mortals live in Yushan?
                        Yes, though often it's as slaves or playthings to various divinities.

Comment

• Or minor functionaries like the Dragon Kings, assuming they're still keeping that part in Ex3.

I express my opinions, but YSMV; Your Stories May Vary.

Formerly known as wyrmpuff

Comment

• There's a community of dragon blooded up there.

Dragon blooded do not have a 100% exaltation rate.

Ergo, yes. There are mortals living in Yu Shan.

Comment

• Has there ever been an example of a Third Circle Demon in 3e?

Comment

• Originally posted by Grod_the_giant View Post
                                Has there ever been an example of a Third Circle Demon in 3e?
                                There are no write-ups for one yet, although one is planned for either Hundred Devils Night Parade or Adversaries of the Righteous.

Comment

Working...
                                X