Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post
    A hearthstone though makes a lot of sense, so much so that I don't know if it wasn't one in previous editions. It probably fits as a permanent effect that they can cast their voice mentally as far as they could normally speak as a lesser hearthstone, with evocations if you want adding more. If you want it to go crazy adding like psychic attacks, defenses and stuff like that it might be better to model it in artifact form.
    I have a vague memory of their being a telepathic hearthstone in a previous edition, but I can't find it now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Reminiscent Oasis View Post
      I have a vague memory of their being a telepathic hearthstone in a previous edition, but I can't find it now.
      Gemstone of Surface Thoughts from the Book of Three Circles/Savant and Sorcerer?

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

For my upcoming Lunar-focused game, I have a player who wants to be able to communicate telepathically. As far as Charms are concerned, the best I think he could do is highly communicative body-language.
        "Highly communicative body language" is, I would argue, capable of something pretty close to projective telepathy, at least in a Lunar's hands (paws?). If you have access to the Lunars preview manuscript from the Kickstarter, Glance-Oration Technique, in Appearance, gives the ability to convey a single sentence, though it has to be about a simple topic, nothing abstract or technical. I'd allow a charm that chained off that to permit more complicated concepts. I'd probably peg such a charm at Essence 2, Appearance 3, let it be scene-long, and allow it to convey information about complex topics to the target as long as something related to the topic was in view of both parties. So if a Lunar was trying to subtly tell an ally how to operate the manse controls, she could do that, as long as both she and her ally could see the controls as well. I'd probably give a roll for bystanders to spot that communication was going on, and a harder roll to interpret it.

For the reception end of things, there aren't any current Lunar charms that do precisely that, but there are definitely some that come close, primarily in Perception. I'd allow a charm that expanded one of the existing charms to allow effectively reading the mind of a target. I'd make Understanding the Prey the prereq, with Perception 3, Essence 2 as the minimums. I think the base effect would only allow reading a willing character's mind, one simple sentence per use, like Glance-Oration Technique. A repurchase at Perception 4, Essence 3 would allow reading an enemy's mind, though that should require overcoming their Guile as well. Another charm, chaining off the mind-reading one, would allow reading a willing target's mind for the scene and again conveying complex thoughts if their subject was in view of both the Lunar and the target.

If the player is willing to diverge a bit more from the described concept of "telepathy with someone they can see", there's other Lunar magic that might be able to serve. Lunars get some cool stuff related to dreams, and mirrors, both of which could do work here. For dreams, there's a number of charms that allow a Lunar to enter someone's dreams to do various stuff. A charm chaining off one of those, where the dreamer and the Lunar can just talk to one another, might work. For mirrors, there's a charm in Appearance, Mirror Slip Trick, that lets a Lunar dive into a mirror and become a living reflection. A charm chaining off that, that allowed a Lunar to talk to someone's reflection in a mirror, and have the person hear them just as if the Lunar was standing as close to them as to the reflection, could be close to what they're asking for.

Originally posted by Reminiscent Oasis
        Any recommendations in the form of hearthstones, sorcery or artifacts?
        For hearthstones, I think an Air hearthstone that sent whispered messages to someone in sight would be pretty good. Or, revive a 2e concept and allow Yozi-aspected demesnes, in which case a hearthstone of She Who Lives in Her Name could probably provide straight-up telepathy. A standard hearthstone of SWLIHN would probably provide telepathy within the first Extreme range band, while a greater one could have much longer range, potentially Direction-spanning if not more. I think the base effect of either would just be bare speech, but evocations could be unlocked to allow social influence via that medium, and more detailed communication (sending sensory information, for example).

For sorcery, I'd allow a Terrestrial Circle spell that gave telepathy within Extreme range. Probably social influence through it by default as well, though I would probably rule that the target could shut the sorcerer out, and thus end any possible influence, by spending a wp.

Artifact-wise, a moonsilver artifact could probably pull off something similar to some of the Lunar charm effects I mentioned above, particularly the dream and mirror ones. A blue jade artifact would be good for straight-up telepathy, I think, particularly communication that was strictly factual, all intellect and memory. Black jade covers the emotional end of things more, and something made of an alloy of the two might be a good candidate for full communication with both sense and emotion conveyed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
          For sorcery, I'd allow a Terrestrial Circle spell that gave telepathy within Extreme range. Probably social influence through it by default as well, though I would probably rule that the target could shut the sorcerer out, and thus end any possible influence, by spending a wp.
          Just as a reminder, spending a Willpower to reject most types of social influence already immunizes you to that kind for at least the rest of the scene, absent the influencer presenting stronger evidence for their case or changing their tactics drastically.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
            Just as a reminder, spending a Willpower to reject most types of social influence already immunizes you to that kind for at least the rest of the scene, absent the influencer presenting stronger evidence for their case or changing their tactics drastically.

True, but this would be closing off the telepathic link completely, and it could be done whenever the target wanted, potentially interrupting the communicator before they even had a chance to roll and activate effects that made it more expensive to resist. And, of course, it would be a complete cut-off of all sorts of influence, not just the specific one the communicator tried, too.

Comment

For my upcoming Lunar-focused game, I have a player who wants to be able to communicate telepathically. As far as Charms are concerned, the best I think he could do is highly communicative body-language. Any recommendations in the form of hearthstones, sorcery or artifacts?
              Wasp-And-Termite Dance, an E2 Appearance Charm, allows wordless communication but only with willing targets. It also allows long range telepathy but only with your Solar Mate.

One of my Lunar players wanted a telepathy power, so since Appearance has a telepathy Charm I just created a custom E1 Appearance Charm that lets them send 1 sentence and receive 1 answer for 2m, with the limitation that anyone can choose to shut you out of their mind if they don't want to listen to you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
                "Highly communicative body language" is, I would argue, capable of something pretty close to projective telepathy, at least in a Lunar's hands (paws?). If you have access to the Lunars preview manuscript from the Kickstarter, Glance-Oration Technique, in Appearance, gives the ability to convey a single sentence, though it has to be about a simple topic, nothing abstract or technical.
                I do have the Kickstarter preview document, and Glance-Oration Technique will be my opening pitch to the player during our Session 0 this Sunday. Failing that, we'll start dabbling with other options. The dream suggests you mentioned are also quite good, and personally, I think they're more interesting than straight-up telepathy. So I'll see if they might entice him as well.

We shouldn't have to worry about receiving telepathic information, since his initial pitch was mainly about overcoming a Mute flaw. So he's less concerned about hearing peoples thoughts than he is about being heard.

For hearthstones, I think an Air hearthstone that sent whispered messages to someone in sight would be pretty good. Or, revive a 2e concept and allow Yozi-aspected demesnes, in which case a hearthstone of She Who Lives in Her Name could probably provide straight-up telepathy.
                If we go the hearthstone route, I'd lean toward an Air aspected versions, rather than dropping an Infernal demesne into the story right away. I like your suggestion re: the blue jade artifact concept focused on facts and being devoid of emotions. I'll probably include that in a hearthstone version too if I we go that route instead. I like the idea of the telepathy also being limited to only communicating the what the bear believes to be true and prohibiting Instill actions.

Speaking of hearthstones, JohnDoe244, that's definitely the one I was thinking of. Thanks for finding it! Unfortunately, doesn't look like it'd work for our needs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Epitome View Post
                  Wasp-And-Termite Dance, an E2 Appearance Charm, allows wordless communication but only with willing targets. It also allows long range telepathy but only with your Solar Mate.
                  Thanks for pointing out this Charm to me. Since this is for a starting character, I hadn't really looked at the Essence 2+ Charms yet. It's good to see where he'll be able to go by following the Glance-Oration route.

I'm also amused that you had a telepathic Lunar in your group too.

Comment

Thanks for pointing out this Charm to me. Since this is for a starting character, I hadn't really looked at the Essence 2+ Charms yet. It's good to see where he'll be able to go by following the Glance-Oration route.

I'm also amused that you had a telepathic Lunar in your group too.
                    There’s also a hearthstone that lets you take a charm one essence above what you normally qualify for, that might work? Its a hearthstone either way but this one retains some serious utility even as you Essence up.

Comment

• Away from my pdfs (because my computer is in the shop).
                      Can anyone tell me the name of the charm where you can make a bunch of copies of yourself but they can't fight or carry a conversation?

Also what are the benefits of being a centaur? I remember it lets you make impaling attacks, which are good, but I don't remember what they do either.

I play...
                      Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
                      Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                        Away from my pdfs (because my computer is in the shop).
                        Can anyone tell me the name of the charm where you can make a bunch of copies of yourself but they can't fight or carry a conversation?
                        Cunning Anglerfish Decoy, though the decoy can technically carry on a brief conversation with limited responses. After a few minutes of talking to it, people can start figuring out its a fake.

Also what are the benefits of being a centaur? I remember it lets you make impaling attacks, which are good, but I don't remember what they do either.
                        You gain the attack and Defense bonuses of being mounted and can make impaling attacks. If you're giving another character a ride, they gain a +2 Speed bonus from you as their mount.

Comment

• Thanks! I remember the +1 Defence for being mounted, what's the attack bonus?
                          And what do impaling attacks do?

I play...
                          Kovan, actor, librarian, sorcerer, great bear, Lunar Elder from the First Age
                          Thutmose-Osiris, seventh son of a seventh son, descendant of the Supreme Deity Sukhmet, renegade demigod and bearer of the Ghoul-Banishing Bow. Also bright green.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
                            It seems a little cheesy to generate your own spirit and then immediately nom it for power, but on the other hand, devouring your own reflection sounds like the kind of creepy eldritch shit that a scary witch might do...
                            Indeed. I think it ought to be played by ear and not allowed at all times, but it sounds like a perfectly valid synergy between those two Charms and expression of Lunar power on the whole.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                            Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
                              Suppose a Lunar uses Moon-in-Well Emanation to turn her reflection into a god, and then devours it to use God-Body Consumption.

Would this accomplish anything other than demonstrating that there is something seriously wrong with the Lunar in question? MiWE doesn't say anything about whether the reflection's Charms might have the Eclipse keyword.

It seems a little cheesy to generate your own spirit and then immediately nom it for power, but on the other hand, devouring your own reflection sounds like the kind of creepy eldritch shit that a scary witch might do...
                              If any of my players would come up with this, I would totally allow this, just for the visual effects of the process

Comment

• Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
                                Thanks! I remember the +1 Defence for being mounted, what's the attack bonus?
                                +1 for withering attacks against non-mounted human-scale enemies, or +2 against battlegroups who don't have Reaching-tagged weapons.

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz
                                And what do impaling attacks do?
                                You can only make them with a fixed lance after moving 2 consecutive range bands towards the target, and they add to the raw damage of either withering or decisive attacks.

Comment

Working...
                                X