Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Braininthejar View Post

Most commoners don't have the knowledge to tell one anathema from another. They will be scared/hostile (depending on strength) towards any supernatural that isn't part of their perceived natural order, but if the raksha doesn't go full Pennywise, he might be able to fool some into thinking that he's a weird elemental or something.
    Isn't there an aversion to iron?

Comment

• Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
      Isn't there an aversion to iron?
      Sometimes, but not always. We know at least one that lacks a weakness to iron, but does have a weakness to those incapable of reading the history he's part of.

Comment

• Originally posted by nalak42 View Post

Sometimes, but not always. We know at least one that lacks a weakness to iron, but does have a weakness to those incapable of reading the history he's part of.
        Well that's odd. Fair folk without a weakness to iron is probably something that people have nightmares over.

Comment

• I think Fair Folk are fairly nightmarish regardless of whether or not they take aggravated damage from iron.

(Remember, mechanically, the big difference between lethal damage and aggravated damage is that lethal damage can be healed with magic, where aggravated generally cannot. A Fair Folk doesn’t take more damage from an iron weapon; it’s just harder to recover from.)

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
            I think Fair Folk are fairly nightmarish regardless of whether or not they take aggravated damage from iron.

(Remember, mechanically, the big difference between lethal damage and aggravated damage is that lethal damage can be healed with magic, where aggravated generally cannot. A Fair Folk doesn’t take more damage from an iron weapon; it’s just harder to recover from.)
            Do Fair Folk have any weaknesses, other than, you know, iron?

(I remember that some of the charms that Fair folk have are weak and get disrupted by iron)

Comment

Well that's odd. Fair folk without a weakness to iron is probably something that people have nightmares over.

It's likely that a lot more people have access to illiteracy than to iron.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
              Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

It's likely that a lot more people have access to illiteracy than to iron.
                Isn't iron really common? Not good iron... And it's also not easy to extract, but I think its more 'iron age' than 'bronze age'.

Comment

Isn't iron really common? Not good iron... And it's also not easy to extract, but I think its more 'iron age' than 'bronze age'.
                  2E specified that the overwhelming majority of weapons are bronze, whereas the weapons of Lookshy and the Realm are usually steel. Iron isn't uncommon, but not the typical thing to make weapons from.

I don't believe 3E has made any statement on the use of iron. [EDIT] It has, and is unchanged. See below.
                  Last edited by JohnDoe244; 09-14-2020, 08:37 AM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

• As a complete aside, seems like kind of an amusing thing that bronze and stone and so on cultures might end up facing faeries who shape themselves to be vast, muscular giants, soaking damage, while iron cultures tend to face faeries who avoid soaking attacks and so have your small, nimble, graceful, elven fairies who are all about the dodge and parry. Ogres and frost giants to fae gentry.

Comment

Isn't iron really common?
                      That was not really my point. I'm just saying that of all the alternative weaknesses to be a source of distress, illiterate people is not one of them.

Originally posted by Accelerator View Post

Fair Folk are basically universally hated, right? Basically hated on the threshold, and most obviously not friendly in the Blessed isle. Having a Raksha in your village is something that brings out the pitchforks, and if they're in a major city, they're going to get the attention of the city's security forces. Those who are willing to deal with them are either dupes, mind-controlled, desperate, or amoral, because of their innate sociopathy and need to eat human, meaning that any Raksha that's in Creation for a long enough time has probably murdered one or two people.

There are Fair Folk of more benign character who provide additions to communities they reside with of a kind that incentivise finding some kind of mutual benefit.

Cities don't generally have security forces of the kind you're alluding to.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                      Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post

2E specified that the overwhelming majority of weapons are bronze, whereas the weapons of Lookshy and the Realm are usually steel. Iron isn't uncommon, but not the typical thing to make weapons from.

I don't believe 3E has made any statement on the use of iron.
                        "Cold Iron Bane: Weapons made of iron deal aggravated
                        damage to the raksha, but most armies in Creation use
                        bronze or steel weaponry."
                        Exalted Third Edition, p. 535

More or less still there. Most folks don't really use un-porposefully alloyed weapons out ofiorn histoircally, but you'll often find it for like, a backhoe or plow. So what you will often find is folks using probably improvsed weapons out of farming equipment or tools that happen to fuck them up.

And stuff.
                        My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• Wildfire Scandal Revelation. It allows you to make people dislike someone by revealing blackmail material.
                          But since it requires some scandalous material to begin with... is the only real benefit of the power to make you more believable when you share it?

Comment

A question of in-setting. I need to confirm this.

Fair Folk are basically universally hated, right? Basically hated on the threshold, and most obviously not friendly in the Blessed isle. Having a Raksha in your village is something that brings out the pitchforks, and if they're in a major city, they're going to get the attention of the city's security forces. Those who are willing to deal with them are either dupes, mind-controlled, desperate, or amoral, because of their innate sociopathy and need to eat human, meaning that any Raksha that's in Creation for a long enough time has probably murdered one or two people.

Raksha powers are vulnerable to iron, and concentrated on things like illusions, mind control, mutations, and Behemoths. Only at higher levels do they get the power to make incredible powers and artifacts. They are vulnerable to iron and receive aggravated damage from it.

Did I get anything wrong?
                            That's broadly accurate for Exalted: The Fair Folk through to now. It's possible that Ex3 may default back more towards their portrayal in Scavenger Sons where a number of fae were portrayed as existing around human societies in a way that wasn't inherently abusive before their own book put the focus heavily upon Fair Folk society and how you'd have to be nuts to trust them.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                            Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

• I mean there was always support for non-evil Fair Folk, using stuff like Banquet of Crumbs meant you didn't really have to suck souls all that much, and if you swore an Oath to be nice, you subsequently were nice.

But yeah they're monsters from beyond reality and usually not your best friend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Braininthejar View Post
                                Wildfire Scandal Revelation. It allows you to make people dislike someone by revealing blackmail material.
                                But since it requires some scandalous material to begin with... is the only real benefit of the power to make you more believable when you share it?

The benefit of the charm is a significant bonus to instilling negative ties towards the subject (double 8s is a decent bonus), automatically including instilling a negative tie towards a group the target belongs to (so you can make people hate his nation/House/political party as well as him individually), and costing more wp to resist than usual (minimum 2 when you get the charm, up to 3). And on top of all that, anyone affected is now better at spreading the rumor. All of that together is a pretty potent combination, I'd say.

Comment

Working...
                                X