Ask a question, get an answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moss Reynholm View Post
    You pick the aspect most advantageous to you (see the Multiple Aspects boxout on page 163 of WFHW for reference).

So if you want to be in Air aura and use an Air/Water charm, you're all good.
    Thanks, don't know how I missed that right under the keywords!

Comment

• Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

That really depends on stronger against what. If you want them to fight a Dawn with really high defense they actually get substantially weaker because they now have a -4 penalty to hit human sized targets. If you want them to fight an army they become immensely more powerful.
      Against a couple Solars. My party has ticked off the local Dragonblooded nobility, hitting iconic anima in the process, and I'm trying to figure out what sort of Wyld Hunt they're going to have to deal with.

(Specifically, I guess, a White Reaper/Righteous Devil Dawn who's not that great at remembering his charms, a Zenith with a half-dozen Melee charms and Battle Dancer Method, and an Eclipse with a handful of the turn-one-alpha-strike throwing charms.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Grod_the_giant View Post
        If you take one of the example Immaculate of ____ Dragonblooded QCs and put them in a warstrider, how much stronger do they get? Are we talking "obviously stronger but still gets flattened one-on-one?" On par with a Solar with a secondary investment in combat? On par with a Dawn? Ready to fight the whole Circle?

Note that if you want them to use an MA, it needs to be an Earht Immacualte. Warstriders are heavy armor.

The Book of Laughing Serpents Series(Latest Here)
        Many Limbed Manual
        Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
        San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here Volume 3 here
        My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Grod_the_giant View Post
          Against a couple Solars. My party has ticked off the local Dragonblooded nobility, hitting iconic anima in the process, and I'm trying to figure out what sort of Wyld Hunt they're going to have to deal with.
          Basically, what DrLoveMonkey said - they're going to have a harder time hitting due to the penalty for smaller targets. They'll probably last longer, since the warstrider has its own health track and Legendary Size makes them resistant to crashing and decisive damage, but they're not likely to spend much of that extra time alive actually doing much. A warstrider really isn't something designed to deal with an individual human-scale opponent, and breaking it out for one isn't the best tactic. Save the warstrider for fighting an army, or an equally huge monster or something like that.

For facing three Solars (do the DBs know it's three of them? That makes a difference), I'd expect a large force of trained people. That's probably worth bringing every single combat-capable DB in the region. My offhand rule of thumb is that 3 well-trained DBs (Essence 3 or higher, focused on a combat Ability) are probably enough to face most Solars who aren't Supernal in a combat Ability, and that if you're dealing with multiple Solars together, increase the numbers of DBs by about 25%-50% for each Solar past the first. So if you're dealing with three, look at bringing somewhere between 11 and 14 DBs. Supernal combat Ability Solars throw this number off, though, and you might need something much higher. Also, there should be multiple battlegroups of mortals who can attack the Solars.

Yes, all of this is kind of a huge fight to run, and I don't really advise actually trying to set it up, unless you're willing to have three or four sessions of just one battle. The Hunt will likely try to separate and take on the Solars individually, and that's a good way to run the fights, too - have the NPCs try tricks and strategies to get the Circle separated, and let them get back together in time to take on smaller groups of the DBs. That lets the players display their cleverness and other skills, and makes the individual fights much more manageable.

Comment

• Martial arts:

1 How are the "terrestial" and "mastery" effects of the Blinding Nova Flare supposed to work? The terrestial one seems illogical, and the mastery one seems more trouble than a bonus.

2 In White Reaper style, when exactly do halos dissipate? If I use snow follows winter at the beginning of my turn, can I still use the same halos to pay for an attack bonus, or to improve my parry with a defensive power? If I use up my halos but don't gain new ones, do they last long enough to be in use for defensive powers in the next round, before my initiative moment comes?

3 If I'm in a white reaper form and use a melee power to perform a counter, do I get a halo or not? (probably not. How is one supposed to get more than one halo if all the powers use them up?)

Comment

• 1.a. What is the part you find illogical about the Terrestrial effect?

You roll the lowest initiative out of you/sword against difficulty 5. Count your successes. If you get 5+ successes you get a decisive attack with the enemy at -5 defense, if you fail you get the same attack but the enemy at -2.

1.b. The purpose Mastery effect is to give more damage to the attack. It does make you lose a bunch of initiative (at least 4, and very likely more, every die that doesn't roll a success on the gambit is basically a lost point of initiative, plus the 4 you need to get to threshold), but it might the difference between killing an enemy, or inflicting heavier penalties, or not. It is higher risk, for potential higher rewards.

2. Snow Follows Winter says specifically 'Doing so expends these halos at the end of her turn.' So you can use them before the end of your turn, but they would not be available next round, or even later on the same round. Once your turn is done the halos are gone.

3. You get halos by being in White Reaper Form and incapacitating or crashing enemies. It doesn't matter how you incapacitate or crash them. So if you crash them with a Melee, or Brawl or some effect from another Charm, like them missing you and you have Unbowed Willow Meditation, you get a halo.
              Last edited by TGUEIROS; 10-27-2020, 09:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TGUEIROS View Post
                1.a. What is the part you find illogical about the Terrestrial effect?

You roll the lowest initiative out of you/sword against difficulty 5. Count your successes. If you get 5+ successes you get a decisive attack with the enemy at -5 defense, if you fail you get the same attack but the enemy at -2.
                This answer is correct, but the wording of the Charm confused me, DrLoveMonkey and Vance. And Vance wrote the Charm. It is confusing.

But yeah, it works exactly like that: http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...54#post1368554

-5 on success, otherwise -2

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

1.b. The purpose Mastery effect is to give more damage to the attack. It does make you lose a bunch of initiative (at least 4, and very likely more, every die that doesn't roll a success on the gambit is basically a lost point of initiative, plus the 4 you need to get to threshold), but it might the difference between killing an enemy, or inflicting heavier penalties, or not. It is higher risk, for potential higher rewards.

2. Snow Follows Winter says specifically 'Doing so expends these halos at the end of her turn.' So you can use them before the end of your turn, but they would not be available next round, or even later on the same round. Once your turn is done the halos are gone.
                  1b Wait. that means the wording is confusing there... do the extra successes transfer to the decisive strike's attack pool or damage pool?

2 Ok, so the character's 'turn' ends once he's acted.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                    This answer is correct, but the wording of the Charm confused me, DrLoveMonkey and Vance. And Vance wrote the Charm. It is confusing.

But yeah, it works exactly like that: http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...54#post1368554

-5 on success, otherwise -2
                    Yeah, definitely had to read a few times, never played nor played with someone using SPSitV, much easier if it said on gambit success attack enemy at -5, on gambit fail enemy at -2.

Since you need 5 successes for the gambit to succeed and the penalty ceiling is -5... So yeah...

Comment

• Originally posted by Braininthejar View Post

Originally posted by Core Rule Book page 191-192
                      Scene—Sometimes a battle constitutes a scene unto itself, while other times it is merely part of a larger scene. Any effect stating that it lasts for one scene will effectively persist at least for the rest of the current battle.

• Round—A round is the basic measure of combat, during which characters take turns acting, from highest Initiative value to lowest. Characters with identical Initiative values act simultaneously. A round ends when all characters have taken their turns.

• Tick—The smallest measurable unit of time in the Exalted system, ticks are used to measure certain actions taken within a round—generally magical actions (see Chapter Six). Ticks are numbered, and correspond to characters’ Initiative ratings. For example, a Dawn Caste with an Initiative value of 7 will take her turn on tick 7 ofthe round. A Night Caste with Initiative 5 will take his action on tick 5 of the round—two ticks after the Dawn.

• Turn—The tick on which a player declares her character’s combat action for the round. Characters’ Initiative ratings determine the order in which they take their turns. A character may only take one turn per round, no matter how her Initiative may rise or fall.
                      Yes. A character's turn ends when they have acted. A round ends when everyone has acted.
                      Last edited by JohnDoe244; 10-27-2020, 10:30 AM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Braininthejar View Post

1b Wait. that means the wording is confusing there... do the extra successes transfer to the decisive strike's attack pool or damage pool?

1.b. Wait, you are right. It does seem shitty now, since on a success you are already attacking a defenseless enemy, so what would extra dice on attack roll do for ya? Specially at that initiative cost... Unless SPSitV has something like Burning Fist Burial which allows for transferring successes on decisive attack roll to damage roll (from skimming it, I didn't see anything like that).

2. In theory, once you finish declaring your actions, but I think for most intents and purposes yes, once you acted your turn is over:

Core 184-185 Time Structures:

Round—A unit of time used to measure combat scenes, considered long enough to take one action. A round normally lasts about three seconds in combat situations, but could potentially represent more time during fights involving large battle groups. The point during a round when you declare your character’s action is called your turn.

Comment

• Is there any way to ask the authors what they meant? there is an 'ask the devs' topic up there but I don't know if it works like that.

Comment

1.b. Wait, you are right. It does seem shitty now, since on a success you are already attacking a defenseless enemy, so what would extra dice on attack roll do for ya? Specially at that initiative cost... Unless SPSitV has something like Burning Fist Burial which allows for transferring successes on decisive attack roll to damage roll (from skimming it, I didn't see anything like that).
                            In context of the rest of the paragraph the “pool” referred to is the initiative/damage pool. That said it’s still a Mastery effect that actively makes the Charm far worse, because even under the more generous interpretation that threshold successes on the gambit roll become successes (rather than dice) on the damage roll you’re still resetting your lower initiative without getting even near that much initiative’s worth of extra damage (a loss that gets even worse when you account for the entire attack’s worth of your other Charms that that reset is essentially costing you as well).
                            Last edited by Sith_Happens; 10-28-2020, 04:16 AM.

Comment

• oh on Pirates? How valuable will the larceny ability be?

Comment

• Am I remembering correctly that someone has homebrewed Dragon Kings for 3E? If I'm not going mad, would someone mind sharing a link? I'm having a beast of a time trying to find it

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Corsair, Director, Keeper of the Karstein Manor, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Erymanthian Boar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Family Head, Kindred, Agent, Poltergeist, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Conspiracy Theorist, First Time Traveler

Comment

Working...
                                X