X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moss Reynholm View Post

Swiped from the boxout on p. 18 of WFHW:

A TERRESTRIAL CENSUS
    No one knows the exact number of Dragon-Blooded in Creation today. Approximate numbers follow:

Dynasts: 10,000
    Dynastic outcastes: 4,000
    Cadet house members: 750
    Patricians: 250
    Prasadi: 2,000
    Lookshyans: 3,000
    Foreign outcastes: 5,000
    Beautiful, thank you.

Comment

• I'm having a hard time following some of this conversation. Where exactly is the windblade published?

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

• For the love of god, im an adhd child struggling to understand the rules of mandate of heaven can someone break it down simply or provide a video explainer if one exists?

Comment

• Originally posted by joshopotamus View Post
          For the love of god, im an adhd child struggling to understand the rules of mandate of heaven can someone break it down simply or provide a video explainer if one exists?
          You mean "Creation Ruling Mandate?" Cause that just says Creation proper belongs to the Exalts not the gods and such. If you mean something else can you give me a book and page number, so I can look it up?

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
            I'm having a hard time following some of this conversation. Where exactly is the windblade published?
            Heirs to the Shogunate.

Comment

• Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
              You mean "Creation Ruling Mandate?" Cause that just says Creation proper belongs to the Exalts not the gods and such. If you mean something else can you give me a book and page number, so I can look it up?
              2e had two "dominion" systems, Mandate of Heaven and Creation-Ruling Mandate. They both had similar goals of presenting a system to manage organizations and countries, but did them pretty differently.

And stuff.
              My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• Originally posted by Blaque View Post
                2e had two "dominion" systems, Mandate of Heaven and Creation-Ruling Mandate. They both had similar goals of presenting a system to manage organizations and countries, but did them pretty differently.
                The Mandate of Heaven is an appendix of the Storytellers Companion.
                The Creation Ruling Mandate can be found in chapter 3 of Masters of Jade.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

Heirs to the Shogunate.
                  I am very irritated by this uneven access model.

Comment

• Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post

I am very irritated by this uneven access model.
                    With greatest respect, if you don't buy the book, you won't have the book.

You can't complain that you don't have access to a book you didn't buy. You could have bought the book when the rest of us did. Folks who buy the book earlier will have the book earlier. Folks who buy the book later will get the book later. Folks who don't buy the book won't have the book.

It's not that Minton and Vance are giving out copies to their best friends and you're not in the club. It's not "uneven" access -- everyone is on the same playing field with the same opportunities. It was $10 at PDF level, or $15 otherwise.

I too get irritated when I miss a cool opportunity, so I understand your feelings and I'm sympathetic -- it's frustrating, you're irritated, that's only human.

But... I mean... buy the book next time if you don't want to miss out?
                    Last edited by JohnDoe244; 02-11-2021, 05:55 PM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

• The fact that it costs money necessitates that no, not everyone is on the same playing field with the same opportunities. More than a few people have been in the toilet financially as of late.

He/him

Comment

• Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                        The fact that it costs money necessitates that no, not everyone is on the same playing field with the same opportunities. More than a few people have been in the toilet financially as of late.
                        Hey, if you're advocating that Onyx Path gives all the Exalted books away for free, I'm down with that! Heck, even just the manuscripts to non-Backers would be a fantastic thing in my book -- I'd spend a lot less on RPGs.

But if the basic premise of having to pay for a product means there's an "uneven access model"... then... yes? Respectfully, do you have a suggestion that would solve that?
                        Last edited by JohnDoe244; 02-11-2021, 01:39 PM.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post

Hey, if you're advocating that Onyx Path gives all the Exalted books away for free, I'm down with that! Heck, even just the manuscripts to non-Backers would be a fantastic thing in my book -- I'd spend a lot less on RPGs.

But if the basic premise of having to pay for a product means there's an "uneven access model"... then... yes? Respectfully, do you have a suggestion that would solve that?

The complaint is about KS people having it earlier, not about having to pay for books.

The Book of Laughing Serpents Series(Latest Here)
                          Many Limbed Manual
                          Patreon here: https://patreon.com/undeadauthorsociety
                          San Jeanro Co-Op writer. Volume 1 here Volume 2 here Volume 3 here
                          My folklore and horror blog, here:http://undeadauthorsociety.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Blaque View Post

I had seen a recent comparison from folks between the two and the general consensus seemed that creation ruling mandate was the better of the two. I'm thinking about making modifications for some previous players of mine to be the neighboring kingdoms and allow them to make moves for those kingdoms to start pestering my current 3e players . I'll look more into creation ruling mandate, but going back to my original question mandate of heaven gets... complex. I've been struggling based on my learning style to understand it. Was wondering if anyone had a brief explainer on how the system works cause its confusing as heck

Comment

• Originally posted by joshopotamus View Post
                              I had seen a recent comparison from folks between the two and the general consensus seemed that creation ruling mandate was the better of the two. I'm thinking about making modifications for some previous players of mine to be the neighboring kingdoms and allow them to make moves for those kingdoms to start pestering my current 3e players . I'll look more into creation ruling mandate, but going back to my original question mandate of heaven gets... complex. I've been struggling based on my learning style to understand it. Was wondering if anyone had a brief explainer on how the system works cause its confusing as heck
                              Random hot take: They both suck, but for different reasons in some areas, and the same reasons in others.

The big one to me is they kind of assume a lot of overhead on the Storyteller's part. They assume domains/organizations that PCs use are operating on completley identical mechancis as thsoe as NPCs use. And that there is an economy of stuff, be it whatever the hell the resources in MoH were and Capital, moving around in an ecosystem. WHich means that there's an assumption the ST is rolling against themselves to represent not just PC-facings tuff, but some second-order things that might be of use. It's a fucking pain.

They also I think both kind of fall into a bit of the issue of Seeing LIke a State that folks writing for Exalted since have noted causes weird trickle-downe ffects. SInce they both are systems built in Exalted's success-based paradigm (ie, you take an action because you want a thing ot happen), you create this weird thing where a state failing to get what it wants exactly isn't a problem with maybe what they were trying to do, but because the player was bad at making a state do that thing. And due to the meta levle magic affects it, it kind of made it so that some beings in teh setting had Objectively COrrect Government Powers. Which kind of feels against Exalted themes there. This is actually moreso in CRM, because the use of Excellencies kind of exploded its dice roll economy it turns out.

Mandate of Heaven's issue is that it is baroque. It has all the weird names fo rmanuevers, that in the ned can kind of be summairzed as different ways to manipulate the key attributes of a Dominion. LIke, giving organizations stats like that and things like a Motivation I think is actually really clever. But it was really over complex, with odd timing rules, and odd interaction between domains and incongruent with the base system. Including "conversion" rules that seemed to operate on different understanding on what the corebook Charms named even like, did. So it was kind of a big fumble there in that it was complex, hard to follow, and didn't even really work.

As to which is better, I actually am going to be weird and say as much as I love Neph's writing an dideas, I think MoH actaully had like, a better goal of a system. CRM more or less just buys into Seeing LIke a State issues of reifying top-down power strucutres and "objecitvely right government" to me. It's because it was a system designed to more or less like...let your smart leader person do smart leader things and it work. MoH was designed with a goal of being a problem-generator. Dominions had wants, needs, and tended to have trouble brew up, and was kind of a neat plot-generator in concept. And I think Exalted doesn't need so much "How does guy ignore human issues to solve issues" system an dmore a "How does the ST get problems the Exalted hast o deal with and guideliens to try to do so", whcih I think MoH did better for.

I don't generally suggest Godbound like some folks for alternative Exalted systems (I actually think its Dominion systme more or less has the exact same issues as CRM in implemetnation). But it does have some good "stats of thsi group at a glance" guidelines sthat I think are worth using as notes to hlep guid ethings, albiet "softer" than what the 2e Exalted systems were if you don't use anything like the point manipuatlino stuff (which I wouldn't). And hten the soruce book Sixteen Sorrows is kind of great as a plot generator thingy wiht its random ecnounters geared to epic fantasy, which I think honestly is more what Exalted needs than anything MoH was tyring to do.

And stuff.
                              My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

• I beg pardon, I had actually forgotten what the nature of the Heirs to the Shogunate preview was. I thought it was a Google or Dropbox document issued on Discord or something.

I had forgotten also the reason why I have not read it; not from lack of access (come on, I've put hundreds of dollars into each Exalted Kickstarter), but overwhelming other priorities mixed with an aversion to reading another text before it's finalized.

The former concern is much reduced, but the latter remains iron clad.
                                Last edited by Isator Levi; 02-12-2021, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X