X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dreamking89
    started a topic Ask a question, get an answer

Ask a question, get an answer

I'm not sure if this was in the former forums, but I feel it should be made.

This is a forum for Exalted questions that won't necessarily take up an entire thread, but rather require one or two answers from fellow players. I imagine this would cover newbie questions on the rules, canon and whatnot, but given that Exalted is a pretty complex game I feel this is necessary.

I'll start: What's the point of the Socialize skill? Throughout my running of Exalted, I have never run across a situation where Socialize could be used where it couldn't be easily replaced by Presence. Does anyone else have this problem?

• Kelly Pedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by Jefepato View Post
    I'm not suggesting that we should convert those 3e. Frankly, making an entire society believe something by making a single roll was going way too far. But I'm not sure how one does go about altering a society's beliefs.

[snip]

Does anyone have thoughts on how to play out this kind of scenario? Presumably, a Solar (or whoever) trying to influence a society disseminates propaganda, persuades influential individuals within the society, makes speeches, and otherwise wins hearts and minds. I guess if you're using the project rules, the failure conditions would largely consist of influential people that you need to convince or remove?
    I would use at least a modified version of the project rules, because I think they have a very important element that could get lost in other systems. Namely, they keep the PCs having adventures, which a lot of "bureaucracy systems" tend to fall down on. Just like a major bureaucracy project, being able to make some rolls during downtime and accomplish a major transformation of society tends to trivialize that accomplishment. So I'd definitely want to preserve the project system's whole thing about having to do other stuff and rely on other Abilities to keep things going forward.

All that said, there could stand to be a few more rolls in the project system, and, perhaps even more importantly, more guidance on what the scope of projects and how long they take should be. We had a thread a couple months ago discussing providing more detail for the project system, and I think a lot of my suggestions in that thread, particularly giving scope numbers to various project levels, are somewhat relevant here as well.

I don't want to occupy a huge post in the Ask a Question thread with this, since it's really more of a "short Q&A" kind of place, but quickly, here's what I'd do for this kind of society altering project. First, most Bureaucracy rolls would be replaced with Socialize rolls. I'd probably call for one at the start to gauge what the shift would actually require, and plan it, and further rolls along the course of the project, after overcoming obstacles, to see if it was still on course. Scope would be defined by a) how big a group you were trying to change, and b) the significance of the change. I'd break the significance levels into Minor, Major, and Defining, much like Intimacies (though noting that a group or culture's beliefs are not necessarily Intimacies for anyone in the group). And I'd throw together some Socialize charms paralleling Bureaucracy charms like Speed the Wheels that would affect such projects, but with less absolute "I win" effects compared to the 2e versions.

Leave a comment:

• vwllss trnt prncss
    replied
    Back in 2e, there were a few Solar Charms for changing the beliefs of a society outright.

I'm not suggesting that we should convert those 3e. Frankly, making an entire society believe something by making a single roll was going way too far. But I'm not sure how one does go about altering a society's beliefs.

The rules for leadership and projects are honestly kind of vague, and seem to consist mainly of "your project succeeds as long as you have the time and resources to attempt it, and you deal with any failure conditions the GM comes up with."

Does anyone have thoughts on how to play out this kind of scenario? Presumably, a Solar (or whoever) trying to influence a society disseminates propaganda, persuades influential individuals within the society, makes speeches, and otherwise wins hearts and minds. I guess if you're using the project rules, the failure conditions would largely consist of influential people that you need to convince or remove?

I dunno. As I said, I wouldn't want anyone (even a Solar) overturning a society's beliefs in a single roll, but some kind of guidelines for large-scale social influence would have been interesting.
    I'd personally model that as a (very slow) social interaction with a bunch of actors.
    You've got the person(s) attempting to affect change.
    You've got the various social groups (merchants, farmers, military, nobles, etc). Particularly massive societies may have lots of groups broken down by social class and geographic position.
    You've got the various major figures attempting to resist change.

So the change-maker throws a social action at one of the social groups. Then everyone else throws around their social responses. Repeat until desired result achieved , impossible, or talking gives way to something else. Zoom in and out as needed, such as if two major actors engage each other socially.

For example, Sam Solar goes to the farmers to Instill "I must not anger the wood-spirits by hunting in their land". The merchants get wind of this and don't like it since pelts are a valuable export, so they Persuade (or Bargain) the nobles to crack down on this strange belief. The nobles counter-Instill to remove the new intimacy, easily beating awful farmer Resolve. Sam Solar realizes this isn't going to work as long as the nobles oppose him, so directs his next Instill at the nobles and winds up in a debate with the merchants. The local Immaculate Monk hears of this religious debate and...
    At some point, either Sam Solar's got enough support that he can sit back and let society change itself (the nobles and merchants agree to stay out of the woods, and they can get the farmers and military to comply) or he's stonewalled by NO RETRY signs and needs to take a different tact (say, get the Immaculate Monk to step in).

Leave a comment:

• Jefepato
    replied
    Back in 2e, there were a few Solar Charms for changing the beliefs of a society outright.

The rules for leadership and projects are honestly kind of vague, and seem to consist mainly of "your project succeeds as long as you have the time and resources to attempt it, and you deal with any failure conditions the GM comes up with."

I dunno. As I said, I wouldn't want anyone (even a Solar) overturning a society's beliefs in a single roll, but some kind of guidelines for large-scale social influence would have been interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Kelly Pedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    Thanks! I remember the +1 Defence for being mounted, what's the attack bonus?
    +1 for withering attacks against non-mounted human-scale enemies, or +2 against battlegroups who don't have Reaching-tagged weapons.

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz
    And what do impaling attacks do?
    You can only make them with a fixed lance after moving 2 consecutive range bands towards the target, and they add to the raw damage of either withering or decisive attacks.

Leave a comment:

• Lanic
    replied
    Suppose a Lunar uses Moon-in-Well Emanation to turn her reflection into a god, and then devours it to use God-Body Consumption.

Would this accomplish anything other than demonstrating that there is something seriously wrong with the Lunar in question? MiWE doesn't say anything about whether the reflection's Charms might have the Eclipse keyword.

It seems a little cheesy to generate your own spirit and then immediately nom it for power, but on the other hand, devouring your own reflection sounds like the kind of creepy eldritch shit that a scary witch might do...
    If any of my players would come up with this, I would totally allow this, just for the visual effects of the process

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    It seems a little cheesy to generate your own spirit and then immediately nom it for power, but on the other hand, devouring your own reflection sounds like the kind of creepy eldritch shit that a scary witch might do...
    Indeed. I think it ought to be played by ear and not allowed at all times, but it sounds like a perfectly valid synergy between those two Charms and expression of Lunar power on the whole.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Thanks! I remember the +1 Defence for being mounted, what's the attack bonus?
    And what do impaling attacks do?

Leave a comment:

• Reminiscent Oasis
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    Away from my pdfs (because my computer is in the shop).
    Can anyone tell me the name of the charm where you can make a bunch of copies of yourself but they can't fight or carry a conversation?
    Cunning Anglerfish Decoy, though the decoy can technically carry on a brief conversation with limited responses. After a few minutes of talking to it, people can start figuring out its a fake.

Also what are the benefits of being a centaur? I remember it lets you make impaling attacks, which are good, but I don't remember what they do either.
    You gain the attack and Defense bonuses of being mounted and can make impaling attacks. If you're giving another character a ride, they gain a +2 Speed bonus from you as their mount.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Away from my pdfs (because my computer is in the shop).
    Can anyone tell me the name of the charm where you can make a bunch of copies of yourself but they can't fight or carry a conversation?

Also what are the benefits of being a centaur? I remember it lets you make impaling attacks, which are good, but I don't remember what they do either.

Leave a comment:

• DrLoveMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Reminiscent Oasis View Post

Thanks for pointing out this Charm to me. Since this is for a starting character, I hadn't really looked at the Essence 2+ Charms yet. It's good to see where he'll be able to go by following the Glance-Oration route.

I'm also amused that you had a telepathic Lunar in your group too.
    There’s also a hearthstone that lets you take a charm one essence above what you normally qualify for, that might work? Its a hearthstone either way but this one retains some serious utility even as you Essence up.

Leave a comment:

• Reminiscent Oasis
    replied
    Originally posted by Epitome View Post
    Wasp-And-Termite Dance, an E2 Appearance Charm, allows wordless communication but only with willing targets. It also allows long range telepathy but only with your Solar Mate.
    Thanks for pointing out this Charm to me. Since this is for a starting character, I hadn't really looked at the Essence 2+ Charms yet. It's good to see where he'll be able to go by following the Glance-Oration route.

I'm also amused that you had a telepathic Lunar in your group too.

Leave a comment:

• Reminiscent Oasis
    replied
    Originally posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
    "Highly communicative body language" is, I would argue, capable of something pretty close to projective telepathy, at least in a Lunar's hands (paws?). If you have access to the Lunars preview manuscript from the Kickstarter, Glance-Oration Technique, in Appearance, gives the ability to convey a single sentence, though it has to be about a simple topic, nothing abstract or technical.
    I do have the Kickstarter preview document, and Glance-Oration Technique will be my opening pitch to the player during our Session 0 this Sunday. Failing that, we'll start dabbling with other options. The dream suggests you mentioned are also quite good, and personally, I think they're more interesting than straight-up telepathy. So I'll see if they might entice him as well.

We shouldn't have to worry about receiving telepathic information, since his initial pitch was mainly about overcoming a Mute flaw. So he's less concerned about hearing peoples thoughts than he is about being heard.

For hearthstones, I think an Air hearthstone that sent whispered messages to someone in sight would be pretty good. Or, revive a 2e concept and allow Yozi-aspected demesnes, in which case a hearthstone of She Who Lives in Her Name could probably provide straight-up telepathy.
    If we go the hearthstone route, I'd lean toward an Air aspected versions, rather than dropping an Infernal demesne into the story right away. I like your suggestion re: the blue jade artifact concept focused on facts and being devoid of emotions. I'll probably include that in a hearthstone version too if I we go that route instead. I like the idea of the telepathy also being limited to only communicating the what the bear believes to be true and prohibiting Instill actions.

Speaking of hearthstones, JohnDoe244, that's definitely the one I was thinking of. Thanks for finding it! Unfortunately, doesn't look like it'd work for our needs.

Leave a comment:

• Epitome
    replied
    Originally posted by Reminiscent Oasis View Post
    For my upcoming Lunar-focused game, I have a player who wants to be able to communicate telepathically. As far as Charms are concerned, the best I think he could do is highly communicative body-language. Any recommendations in the form of hearthstones, sorcery or artifacts?
    Wasp-And-Termite Dance, an E2 Appearance Charm, allows wordless communication but only with willing targets. It also allows long range telepathy but only with your Solar Mate.

One of my Lunar players wanted a telepathy power, so since Appearance has a telepathy Charm I just created a custom E1 Appearance Charm that lets them send 1 sentence and receive 1 answer for 2m, with the limitation that anyone can choose to shut you out of their mind if they don't want to listen to you.

Leave a comment:

• Kelly Pedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Just as a reminder, spending a Willpower to reject most types of social influence already immunizes you to that kind for at least the rest of the scene, absent the influencer presenting stronger evidence for their case or changing their tactics drastically.

True, but this would be closing off the telepathic link completely, and it could be done whenever the target wanted, potentially interrupting the communicator before they even had a chance to roll and activate effects that made it more expensive to resist. And, of course, it would be a complete cut-off of all sorts of influence, not just the specific one the communicator tried, too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X