X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dreamking89
    started a topic Ask a question, get an answer

Ask a question, get an answer

I'm not sure if this was in the former forums, but I feel it should be made.

This is a forum for Exalted questions that won't necessarily take up an entire thread, but rather require one or two answers from fellow players. I imagine this would cover newbie questions on the rules, canon and whatnot, but given that Exalted is a pretty complex game I feel this is necessary.

I'll start: What's the point of the Socialize skill? Throughout my running of Exalted, I have never run across a situation where Socialize could be used where it couldn't be easily replaced by Presence. Does anyone else have this problem?

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Originally posted by Jackson MacKenzie View Post
    I don't have one. My issue is with the idea that their idea of vengeance is as simple as "murder them all". That seems boring.
    I understand.

The sidebar on the Voice of Dark Water and the Daughter of Mist does note that every elder has their own approach to the Vendetta, with their own resources and pursued on their own terms. That reads to me as the Vendetta being no one thing, it's the general attitude of the House towards hurting their former compatriots, which is distributed across largely independent cells. Sabotage and treachery seem to have a place; I find that to come from the description of what they do in place of a House military.

That said, I would find that with the limits of Iselsi resources (particularly in an institutional sense; I imagine that a lot of possible modes of vengeance are limited by not really having anywhere to put what they would take from another House), their options besides murder are somewhat limited. There's also a matter of how the House seems to be being written as a bit of a horror story in the Dynasty; the conversion of an espionage House into a hidden death squad at the command of the Empress, who with her removal has no guiding or restraining hand and a lot of bitterness.

The greatest source of interest to me seems to be in the point of how being embedded with the enemy can undermine the commitment of individuals.

Leave a comment:

• Blaque
    replied
    I don't have one. My issue is with the idea that their idea of vengeance is as simple as "murder them all". That seems boring.
    It feels more like "Precision decapitation of our enemies" to me more than it does an accross-the-board murder here.

Leave a comment:

• Jackson MacKenzie
    replied
    Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
    What is your issue with the idea that they would want to redress their grievances with vengeance?

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    So, about the Iselsi Vendetta. Am I just being thick, or does WFHW not actually say what it, y'know, is? It seems like the House Iselsi section is pointing at it being "the wholesale murder of the entire rest of the Dynasty", which, okay, fair enough, but is that actually what it is? (Because if it is, that's kinda unsatisfying to me, and I'm hoping there's a more interesting version of it that I'm missing.)
    What is your issue with the idea that they would want to redress their grievances with vengeance?

Leave a comment:

• Jackson MacKenzie
    replied
    So, about the Iselsi Vendetta. Am I just being thick, or does WFHW not actually say what it, y'know, is? It seems like the House Iselsi section is pointing at it being "the wholesale murder of the entire rest of the Dynasty", which, okay, fair enough, but is that actually what it is? (Because if it is, that's kinda unsatisfying to me, and I'm hoping there's a more interesting version of it that I'm missing.)

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Originally posted by Grelkis View Post
    Yes, exactly.
    I don't think it can be quite seen as a "per House" thing, since the current ten Great Houses vary a lot in their history and scope. For instance, House Nellens and V'Neef certainly have no major bloodlines. House Peleps is the oldest still existing House, and has a standard of its scions going out on grand adventures to project the virtues of the Scarlet Dynasty.

There's also a question of whether some major bloodlines keep their name even past the point where they're producing a distinctly large number of Exalted, and some matriarchs who are liable to be stingy with the honour.

So with that I would propose that Peleps and Mnemon have the most such bloodlines, about a couple dozen extant ones each; they're old, large Houses, and reputations for good breeding are liable to produce a higher incidence of households that produce a good output of Exalted. Tepet used to have only slightly less, but a lot of those lineages happened to be caught up in the war against the Icewalkers.

Cathak and Ragara conceivably could have around the same number of such bloodlines (and in the days of the former House's still living founder, such names were granted more often), but the matriarchs withhold it. Cainan sees it as contrary to Immaculate humility and the House's military standards of disciplined formation over the individual hero. Ragara himself was always very limited in encouraging branches that might feel independent, and preferred the House to be more tight knit and integrated. They've each got maybe ten named bloodlines.

Cynis, Ledaal and Sesus have fewer, owing to a combination of more fluctuating House fortunes, less severe standards for marriages leading to fewer households of particularly good breeding, and maybe not quite being old enough. They've got maybe between four and ten major bloodlines, and some of those are likely to be holdouts of a faded glory (as goes with the background of the family of Cynis Denovah Avaku).

It's not described as such in the book, but in the interests of adding some more genealogical shenanigans to the Dynasty, I would hold that there are fairly strict (although not ironclad) conventions governing who is allowed to append their House name with a granted bloodline name; something like not being more than three generations removed from the founder, or a child that they designate as an heir to the original household to ensure that the name can be carried on in perpetuity. The practice of designating an heir is not formally recognised in Realm law, so matriarchs can vary a bit on the degree to which they'll accept it. In this way, the names tend not to spread out to cover the entirety of a particular House. But it's not a hard rule, so you'll still get the odd Dynast who names themselves or their children by a far removed or technically defunct major bloodline, to try and ride a bit of its prestige; claims of descent from those bloodlines can often be a bit dubious.

Leave a comment:

• Grelkis
    replied
    Originally posted by Blaque View Post
    The book says nothing about this constraint. They get Essence 2 Charms becuase they're well, Essence 2. The character creation rules reflect them having been Exalted since being teenagers. It's not that they just recently are Essence 2. They reflect htat you've been Chosen longer than default starting Celestial Exalted. If you were constrained to only Essence 1, it'd say so.
    Yeah that makes sense. I suppose I was reading too much into character progression crunch and thus ignoring the fact that Essence refinement isn' t a discrete process, fluff-wise.

By major bloodlines, are you referring to the ones who get a family name in addition to the House name?
    Yes, exactly.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    To get this Role bonus xp:
    Intentionally ceding the “spotlight” of a scene’s focus to another player character so that he can express his Caste’s role in a cool and dramatic fashion, or directly supporting him in such a moment.
    does the other player have to have got the Role XP? Ie does "express his Caste's role" mean in the same sense as a Role bonus? (I assume it does)

For example, if one player is like "why don't you, the Changing Moon, go talk to that important social figure as that's what you're about, while we wait here as we're not the best social characters", but talking to that important social figure doesn't actually do any of these;
    Inflicting a significant setback or defeat on an adversary by influencing him or those around him; exploiting a cultural tradition or legal system in furtherance of a Major or Defining Intimacy; advancing her or her Circle’s goals by fundamentally changing, or teaching a significant lesson to, a culture; accomplishing a major character or story goal by solving a problem she created.
    Does the player who "ceded the spotlight" get the XP or not?

Similarly I guess if they were like "Hey Mr Dawn, go do that combat for us", but the combat is too easy to count as a "difficult enemy" or whatever, does that count? It's the Caste's role, but not their Role.

What about if they have the opportunity to get their Role bonus, but fail?
    For example, if the Twilight is like "I will make you a suit of heavy armour, Mr Dawn, so you can beat that Abyssal," they've supported the Dawn in trying to get his Role bonus, but if he loses to the Abyssal (so fails to get his Role bonus), does the Twilight get Solar XP for "supporting" him, or not?

Leave a comment:

• Elfive
    replied
    I think it's the first one?

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Do we know how Tepet Arada is both aligned with his mother’s house and has Tepet descendents?

A). He married a distant Tepet cousin

B) He married a Patrician or Found Egg adopted into House Tepet by the marriage

C) He married another House Dynast, but as a widower returned to his birth House and he has Tepet descendents because a son (bearing the name of Arada’s wife’s House) married a Tepet woman

D) He married and had kids with a man, and was the older partner so it was a Tepet household

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied

2) Roughly how many major bloodlines can be expcected per house? Are talking between 2-5? Maybe higher depending on age?
    By major bloodlines, are you referring to the ones who get a family name in addition to the House name?

Leave a comment:

• Blaque
    replied
    ... 1) Are Dragon-Blooded constructed according to the default rules (starting at Essence 2) limited to starting with Essence 1 charms? That would be my guess given that they are assumed to have only just attained Essence 2, starting with 0XP and all.
    The book says nothing about this constraint. They get Essence 2 Charms becuase they're well, Essence 2. The character creation rules reflect them having been Exalted since being teenagers. It's not that they just recently are Essence 2. They reflect htat you've been Chosen longer than default starting Celestial Exalted. If you were constrained to only Essence 1, it'd say so.

2) Roughly how many major bloodlines can be expcected per house? Are talking between 2-5? Maybe higher depending on age?
    There's about a thousand Exalts per house, give or take a few hundred, plus thousands more mortals. I'm pretty sure you can have a good handful depending.

Leave a comment:

• Grelkis
    replied
    Soak is not limited to the die cap; the Excellency can only apply so much, but further Charms and shapeshifting can add more.
    Very clear and concise, thanks.

Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post

Your Stamina excellency lets you add (Stamina/2, rounded down) soak, for 1m per +1 soak. So in this case, +1. If you have Stamina 4+, you could add 2.

The Strength excellency doesn't let you increase your Soak. Even when you have a charm that adds Strength to Soak.
    (It does let you increase Withering Damage though, by [Strength/2, rounded down]. So in this case +2.)

If you have other soak or damage charms though, you can stack all of them on top of each other, no problem.

Where it gots complicated though, is you can increase your caps with a stunt. Since you can't stunt damage or soak, you don't get any stunt bonuses, but you do get increased caps.

So, for example, if you said "he flexes his mighty muscles and your sword bounces off his skin", then you could increase the cap from (Stamina/2) to (Stamina+Strength/2). So then you could add 4 soak.
    (That's not a quality of Celestial Tiger Hide, just something you can do anyway).
    Alrighty, thanks for breaking that down. I was mainly concerned that I had this NPC with a bunch of fun soak-stacking charms (Celestial Tiger Hide + Deadly Beastman Transformation + Soak Excellency = Fun) who mightn't be able to fully exploit all those charms at once, but now I can rest secure in the knowledge that I can outrage my players through disgusting buffs.

Another couple of questions, regarding Terrestrials:

1) Are Dragon-Blooded constructed according to the default rules (starting at Essence 2) limited to starting with Essence 1 charms? That would be my guess given that they are assumed to have only just attained Essence 2, starting with 0XP and all.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Is there a cap on how much soak Lunars can add from charms? Specifically, I have a Stamina 3 Strength 5 NPC using Celestial Tiger Hide to boost soak. Can she boost it by the full 5 points or is she limited to 4 by a cap of, say, (Stamina + Strength)/2?
    Your Stamina excellency lets you add (Stamina/2, rounded down) soak, for 1m per +1 soak. So in this case, +1. If you have Stamina 4+, you could add 2.

The Strength excellency doesn't let you increase your Soak. Even when you have a charm that adds Strength to Soak.
    (It does let you increase Withering Damage though, by [Strength/2, rounded down]. So in this case +2.)

If you have other soak or damage charms though, you can stack all of them on top of each other, no problem.

Where it gots complicated though, is you can increase your caps with a stunt. Since you can't stunt damage or soak, you don't get any stunt bonuses, but you do get increased caps.

So, for example, if you said "he flexes his mighty muscles and your sword bounces off his skin", then you could increase the cap from (Stamina/2) to (Stamina+Strength/2). So then you could add 4 soak.
    (That's not a quality of Celestial Tiger Hide, just something you can do anyway).
    Last edited by The Wizard of Oz; 04-19-2019, 06:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X