X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dreamking89
    started a topic Ask a question, get an answer

Ask a question, get an answer

I'm not sure if this was in the former forums, but I feel it should be made.

This is a forum for Exalted questions that won't necessarily take up an entire thread, but rather require one or two answers from fellow players. I imagine this would cover newbie questions on the rules, canon and whatnot, but given that Exalted is a pretty complex game I feel this is necessary.

I'll start: What's the point of the Socialize skill? Throughout my running of Exalted, I have never run across a situation where Socialize could be used where it couldn't be easily replaced by Presence. Does anyone else have this problem?

• light-hero
    replied
    Originally posted by Greyman View Post
    They are on pages 296 and 297 of the core, but the update in Arms of the Chosen exists for a reason. The Sapphire, Emerald, and Adamant evocation types, mentioned in the core versions, were never implemented as intended.
    Thank you. I tried using the search function in Foxit. Maybe something just went wrong. I cant seem to find it in the Charm cards though. I will just have make my own then. But thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• Greyman
    replied
    Originally posted by light-hero View Post
    So i tried to finding the Solar Craft Charm Design Beyond Limit but can't find it in my final core book. There is errata for it in Arms of the Chosen. Same question for the next Charm that follow it.
    They are on pages 296 and 297 of the core, but the update in Arms of the Chosen exists for a reason. The Sapphire, Emerald, and Adamant evocation types, mentioned in the core versions, were never implemented as intended.

Leave a comment:

• light-hero
    replied
    So i tried to finding the Solar Craft Charm Design Beyond Limit but can't find it in my final core book. There is errata for it in Arms of the Chosen. Same question for the next Charm that follow it.

Leave a comment:

• JohnDoe244
    replied
    A firedust cannon deals 15 damage if mounted on a ship.
    It does 18 damage mounted on a Warstrider.

The same weapon.

A siege weapon ballista deals 15 damage.
    A mundane firewand deals 15 damage.
    An artifact crossbow deals 18 damage.
    A warstrider heavy weapon deals 21 damage.

Heck, a heavy artifact weapon deals 15-19 on regular personal scale.

Artifact siege is about right at 20 damage. But I'd up mundane siege to 18 damage (in scale with personal scale artifacts and warstrider weapons). (Overwhelming is probably fine as is.)

Getting hit by a bolder should be worse than getting hit with a sledgehammer. Right now, the hammer hits harder.
    Last edited by JohnDoe244; Today, 04:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Blaque
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
    The Flame tag has a default of +4.

A heavy weapon has a default damage of +11.

A firewand, as a mundane heavy weapon with the flame tag deals 15 damage (do not add strength).

A harbor cannon, as the largest siege weapon, deals 15 damage (do not add strength).

A Strength 5 mortal with a sledgehammer deals 16 damage.
    Probably because large weapons seem to just cap at damage for personal scale (see how warstrider weapons just artifact damage stats instead of a unique profile). They're considered only so effective for personal scale attacks, but are just fine for doing massive damage as an AOE or against structures (hence the modificaitons for the Bombard and Siege tags). They also have inherently better range.

Leave a comment:

• JohnDoe244
    replied
    Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
    Sith_Happens siege engines have a default withering damage of +15, or +20 for artifact ones. Flame weapons have a default damage of +4.

They don't add strength because they're not powered by stored muscle energy. Or, well, a ballista is powered by storing the energy of several humans applied repeatedly, whereas a trebuchet is powered by a counterweight.
    The Flame tag has a default of +4.

A heavy weapon has a default damage of +11.

A firewand, as a mundane heavy weapon with the flame tag deals 15 damage (do not add strength).

A harbor cannon, as the largest siege weapon, deals 15 damage (do not add strength).

A Strength 5 mortal with a sledgehammer deals 16 damage.
    Last edited by JohnDoe244; 01-21-2021, 05:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DrLoveMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    My question was not what you seem to think it was. Though I do realize how I could ask it better.
    It might just be a balance concern. A damage of +15 is better than a mortal will get with almost anything except flame weapons, and they're only Short range at best, whereas with a ballista they can fire out to Long range with a damage bonus even.

Leave a comment:

• Sith_Happens
    replied
    My question was not what you seem to think it was. Though I do realize how I could ask it better.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Sith_Happens siege engines have a default withering damage of +15, or +20 for artifact ones. Flame weapons have a default damage of +4.

They don't add strength because they're not powered by stored muscle energy. Or, well, a ballista is powered by storing the energy of several humans applied repeatedly, whereas a trebuchet is powered by a counterweight.

Leave a comment:

• light-hero
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
    How do you want them to interact?

If the other ship can meaningfully fight back... sounds like you're using Naval Combat and that's a standard broadside strategem. Use Hull Points, you deal 1 point of damage with your giant sling shot (2 points if it's an artifact).

If the other ship can't fight back, that sounds like a feat of demolition. Don't use Hull Points: set a difficulty to destroy the ship and roll against that.

Not using Naval combat but nice to know that is a thing. The ship does have combatants aboard, but I guess not in a "boarding crew" sense. I will have to ask my ST. Thank you for the answer,

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    I think the issue is that there's a matter of quality of training or level of information that has a granularity not covered by the game, and the Storytelling System isn't great at capturing in the first place, but presumably exists in the setting.

I think it's like how the Immaculate Texts incorporate First Age literature on various topics that is supposed to have some meaningful benefit. Presumably the Exalted wrote some of these and any quality they have is related to them being Exalted. But you can't quite get a Charm for making a truly insightful self-help book, and mechanical consequence for reading it is limited and perhaps unsatisfying.

The way I think about it is that the training manual of the great martial artist is not made like an Artifact or the result of a particular Charm, but something one can have as the result of insights developed from how one has been a martial artist across the game.

If a player character is the one learning from the thing then it mechanically plays out as just another instructor for the purposes of training times and learning Charms, but the Storyteller ought to include ideas about the specifics of the text that are compelling and provacative to the character, to influence how they feel about the subject matter.

Like, if you learn Righteous Devil Style, it's more than just the technical qualities of shooting fire, there's an ethos with it, this particular author's spin on that. Being Exalted provides advantages to getting that message across, some of which might be in the magic pushing the effort of writing and some just being able to tell several centuries of doing this stuff as it was.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Minton
    replied
    Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
    I'm actually thinking of the thing like.... a whole bunch of stuff like Wuxia and stuff.

Can an instructional manual with a in-built training regime be an artifact? Is information an artifact?

Can a 'specific manual' be reproduced by copying machine or printing press to distribute amongst a population?
    An instruction manual that helps people learn how to do a thing that's already within their capabilities is just... a book that someone skilled in that thing can write, which would presumably help reduce training times for PCs as per the training time rules in the 3e core. Presumably you'd roll Linguistics, possibly capped by whatever other Ability is relevant to the training regime.

An instruction manual that teaches skills beyond mundane capability, but where the magic is inherent in the book and a mundane copy has no magical effects? That's an artifact.

An instruction manual that teaches skills beyond mundane capability, and which anyone can make any number of efficacious copies of because it's the information that's magical? Sounds like an Ambition 3 Solar working; you're changing the nature of the cosmos to allow mortals to throw Hadoukens or whatever.

Leave a comment:

• JohnDoe244
    replied
    Originally posted by light-hero View Post
    So I have made Solar PC which is an inventor twilight with siege weapons as part of his concept. I might built a giant sligshot to hurl fire dust grenades after an enemy ship (really it is more of a cart with sails; called a grass ship)

Question: How does siege weapons, feats of demolition and hull points connect here? Like does ships have soak (I cant see where in the book)? are rules for withering and decisive attacks used?

Books I have: Core Exalted 3e and arms of the chosen (both final update).
    How do you want them to interact?

If the other ship can meaningfully fight back... sounds like you're using Naval Combat and that's a standard broadside strategem. Use Hull Points, you deal 1 point of damage with your giant sling shot (2 points if it's an artifact).

If the other ship can't fight back, that sounds like a feat of demolition. Don't use Hull Points: set a difficulty to destroy the ship and roll against that.

Leave a comment:

• Jefepato
    replied
    Originally posted by Accelerator View Post
    I'm actually thinking of the thing like.... a whole bunch of stuff like Wuxia and stuff.

Can an instructional manual with a in-built training regime be an artifact? Is information an artifact?

Can a 'specific manual' be reproduced by copying machine or printing press to distribute amongst a population?
    Not an artifact: a list of training exercises and dietary guidelines etc.

Probably an artifact: a jade tablet inscribed with the details of the training plan. If you attune your Essence to the thing while training and follow the plan scrupulously, it cuts down on training time substantially as it guides your Essence into the correct patterns. Or something like that.

But no, you couldn't just copy the thing without going through the artifact creation process again. (Or rather, you could copy it, but then you'd just have a normal set of instructions and not something magical.)

If you want to promulgate an especially potent training regimen, that might just be a project or something? (Goal: "make everyone in my city-state a passably competent martial artist.") Or you might be looking into Charms that upgrade Tiger Warrior Training Technique (or the equivalent) and allow you to supervise larger groups' training somehow? Depends what exactly the aim is.

(TBH, even if you could just endlessly copy your special training regimen, getting people to actually follow it on a large scale would probably still be a project.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X