X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dreamking89
    started a topic Ask a question, get an answer

Ask a question, get an answer

I'm not sure if this was in the former forums, but I feel it should be made.

This is a forum for Exalted questions that won't necessarily take up an entire thread, but rather require one or two answers from fellow players. I imagine this would cover newbie questions on the rules, canon and whatnot, but given that Exalted is a pretty complex game I feel this is necessary.

I'll start: What's the point of the Socialize skill? Throughout my running of Exalted, I have never run across a situation where Socialize could be used where it couldn't be easily replaced by Presence. Does anyone else have this problem?

• Jefepato
    replied
    Do we have a thread for custom Charm ideas? I thought there was one, but I couldn't find it, so here goes.

I was looking at World-Weaving Dragon Demiurge, and thinking about what a Solar or Lunar working-booster Charm might look like. I decided to start with a Lunar one, because I had an idea for how it might be limited (I'm not sure whether a Solar version should have this sort of limitation at all, nor what it might be like).

To be honest, I'm not that happy with it. I do kinda like the idea of making Lunars especially good at bolstering their own marked territories with sorcery, but the actual effects are (IMO) too similar to the DB version because I had trouble thinking of other ideas. But then, there are only so many ways one can make a roll better.

Does anyone have thoughts? Did I overdo this?

Enclave-Forging Evocation
    Cost: 10m, 1wp; Mins: Intelligence 5, Charisma 3, Essence 3
    Type: Supplemental
    Keywords: None
    Duration: One working
    Prerequisite Charms: Terrestrial Circle Sorcery, Boundary-Marking Meditation, any five spells

Within the Lunar's territory, her will reigns supreme. This Charm enhances a sorcerous working that permanently enhances, bolsters, or protects the Lunar's marked territory, or some portion thereof. Such workings may also enhance one or more permanent residents of the Lunar's territory, so long as they have resided there for some time and intend to continue doing so, and so long as they recognize the Lunar as master of the domain. (The Storyteller should enforce the spirit of this limitation. Residents are not forbidden from ever leaving the Lunar's territory, but they must spend most of their time there. The Lunar may not use this working to augment or create a henchman who she will bring along on her travels across Creation, even if the henchman's permanent residence remains in the Lunar's domain. Under no circumstances may the Lunar use this Charm for a working that directly affects her personally.)

The Lunar gains the following benefits on the working:
    - She doubles 9s on each roll.
    - She adds +1 to the roll's terminus. If someone or something native to her territory provides Means for the working -- whether acting as a cooperating sorcerer, offering a complementary Ability, or serving as a valuable reagent -- she adds an additional +1 Means. The Lunar gains this latter benefit only once, regardless of how many natives provide Means.
    - She rerolls (Essence) 1s on each roll.
    - If the working remains within the Circles into which the Lunar is actually initiated, she adds (Essence/2) non-Charm dice to each roll.

With an Essence 5+ repurchase, the Lunar instead doubles 8s, adds (Essence/2) to the roll's terminus, rerolls 1s until 1s no longer appear, and should the working be within her initiated Circles, adds (Essence) non-Charm dice.

Leave a comment:

• JohnDoe244
    replied
    Originally posted by Epee102 View Post

Ah, it was possessing a host, I could recall if that was actually there or not (And for demons, I think we only have...1 that possesses a host). After that time period, IIRC, the demon returns to Malfeas by ask dev comment.
    That's not quite right.

After the banishment runs out, the demon is free. It only returns to Malfeas if it was a summoned demon whose summoning has lapsed.

Ask The Devs Post

(Though if the demon couldn't survive without a host, I'm inclined to punt them back to Malfeas.)
    Last edited by JohnDoe244; Yesterday, 08:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    Yeah, there's a lot of thaumaturgy and occult charms that banish demons/ghosts that possess people... but this is actually an extremely rare thing for them to be able to do.

Leave a comment:

• Epee102
    replied
    Originally posted by Greyman View Post
    The demon banishing ritual banishes demons that are possessing a host into a clay vessel, statue, tree, cattle, or other proxy for a month and a day.

Ah, it was possessing a host, I could recall if that was actually there or not (And for demons, I think we only have...1 that possesses a host). After that time period, IIRC, the demon returns to Malfeas by ask dev comment.

Leave a comment:

• General Trivia Kit
    replied
    What do people think is the most common name in Creation? And more specifically the River Province?

Leave a comment:

• Greyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Epee102 View Post
    My only note is that the Exorcism thautmurgy can banish demons—I’m away from book right now, but I don’t recall any restrictions on the type, just that Willpower determines the number of successes needed and Essence determines the difficulty.
    The demon banishing ritual banishes demons that are possessing a host into a clay vessel, statue, tree, cattle, or other proxy for a month and a day.

Leave a comment:

• Epee102
    replied
    Originally posted by Plastic Doll View Post
    Is there mechanic in 3ed for wrestling control of/banishing back to Malfeas a demon bound by another sorcerer?
    My only note is that the Exorcism thautmurgy can banish demons—I’m away from book right now, but I don’t recall any restrictions on the type, just that Willpower determines the number of successes needed and Essence determines the difficulty.

Leave a comment:

• Greyman
    replied
    Originally posted by The Wizard of Oz View Post
    Where is Chalan, the seat of House Simendor? I know it's somewhere in the South, but the name does sound familiar, so I wonder if it's been more precisely located in some book.
    It is mentioned in The Realm, p168, as a southern port near The Lap and the Weapstone Wastes.

Leave a comment:

• Kelly Pedersen
    replied
    Where is Chalan, the seat of House Simendor? I know it's somewhere in the South, but the name does sound familiar, so I wonder if it's been more precisely located in some book.

According to The Realm (p. 168), "The Southern port Chalan brings Gem’s riches and the Lap’s foodstuffs to the Inland Sea". So, I would assume somewhere on the coast north of the Lap. Personally, I'd put it at the southern tip of the little bay you can see on the 3e map, northwest of the Lap's location on the same map. That looks like a good place for a river mouth.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Minton
    replied
    The Realm, p. 168.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Plastic Doll
    replied
    Yeah I can understand the reasoning behind this. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Jefepato
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
    >Wrestling control

There is the entire Social Influence system (and the Charms which engage with it).
    The Intimacy created by sorcerous binding can't be weakened or altered by any means, so this would be a seriously uphill battle. I guess it's possible you could instill one or more additional Defining Intimacies to pull the demon in a different direction, though.

...Also, if the demon was bound as the sorcerer's personal slave for a year and a day (rather than being bound to a task), the demon has Resolve 0 against any influence roll the sorcerer makes, so it should be pretty easy for him to undo your work if he has any idea you're doing it.

So it's not impossible to influence someone else's bound demon, but you'll never be able to totally seize control from him, and honestly the original sorcerer would have to not be paying attention for you to have much chance of succeeding very well.

Leave a comment:

• Kelly Pedersen
    replied
    Originally posted by Plastic Doll View Post
    Is there mechanic in 3ed for wrestling control of/banishing back to Malfeas a demon bound by another sorcerer?

There's no mechanics for either of these in 3e, no. I wouldn't allow wresting control at all (outside of social influence, which, as JohnDoe points out, is possible). Binding has pretty much always been intended to be pretty much unbreakable loyalty. If it's something someone else can break, it starts pushing the demon-summoning narrative back towards a more stereotypical one, where they're dangerous, untrustworthy creatures that only the foolish and morally compromised would dare to call up, rather than useful servants (who, admittedly, have some... quirks).

As for the second, I'd personally allow banishing to be a sorcerous working, with a Circle that matches the Circle needed to call up that level of demon, and Ambition 2. It would require the demon to be present and either cooperative or restrained through the entire working process, and it would be one at a time. Mass banishing, or banishing a demon that wasn't present and not struggling, would bump the working level up to the lowest ambition of the next Circle. Doing both at once would put it up to the highest ambition of the next Circle (and a Celestial Ambition 3 working wouldn't get every 1st Circle demon in Creation, just all of them in an area).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X