~Tell me about the Cuisine of your People~

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ~Tell me about the Cuisine of your People~

- Mnemon has a suitable tiara for every occasions, also feature Deled Kitty and Shoujou Arada -

It's almost Mid-Autumn Festival in Asia, and that mean it's mooncake consuming time ! Which make me remembered about Lioness's post about Scroll of Cuisine in the EX3 Supplement thread, while magic food is nice and all, I still think real-world food is just as awesome. So I create this thread to learn about the food cultural around the world !

Basically, everything food related in your country can be posted here, from secret technique that has been passed down your family line for generation, to mysterious cooking instrument that can be use as weapon, or spices and recipes that has been lost to time.
    Last edited by Jen; 09-02-2014, 01:27 PM.

The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

~Mooncake~

Everybody know mooncake, right ? The Chinese make these cake to honor Chang-E, Goddess of the Moon,it's now widely enjoy by all Asian countries every time the Mid-Autumn Festival draw near

These cakes has many variant, usually divide by what kind of crust or filling they have, but pretty much all of them feature salted duck egg, which kinda look like a fullmoon when you slice the cake open. Mooncake is quite heavy in flavor, and thus it's recommended that you eat it while drnking tea with your friends and family, let enjoy ourself gazing at the fullmoon !

Traditional mooncake usually have crust make from flour, but in modern time people have created mooncake's crust using jelly or glutinous rice, these are called snow skin mooncake, they are chewy and the crust are usually very sweet (think mochi).

The filling, on the other hand, can be divide into 2 types: meaty type which usually contain seeds or ham, and sweet type which usually made from bean paste, fruit, green tea or the corm of the xanthosoma plant.
    Last edited by Jen; 09-02-2014, 10:56 PM.

The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

Comment

i see what you did there and i can never unsee it

I got maple syrup and... maple syrup. I guess you could recycle the idea with Wood Elemental sap somehow.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
      [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
      [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

Comment

Hmm. What part of Creation would eat matzoh ball soup?

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Tiresias, I'm guessing you are Canadian? Our primary claim to fame, or infamy depending on your point of view, is fusion. Out west, anyway. Back east, we have the famous poutine, that makes every American wonder why they didn't invent it, the Montreal smoked meat sandwich (which forces many Americans to wonder why they didn't invent that), and many variations of maple syrup treats (which Americans wish they could have invented). We also do many types of stuffed potatoes as a variant of poutine. On the east coast, we do amazing things with lobster, cod, and haddock. In particular, there is a dish of lobster, ravioli, and pork cracklings. On top of that, we have beer. I don't drink, so I know nothing about it.

For examples of our fusions, the Nova Scotian Donair is a treat that cannot be found outside of Eastern Canada. It is a ground beef donair served with a sweet milk sauce.

Oh, Nanaimo bars. Don't forget Nanaimo bars.

Translated to Exalted, Canadian style foods probably originates in the North, ranging from the Northwest to the Northeast, just as Canadian foods do. In all regions, it focuses on high-calorie sweets and fatty meats, plus large amounts of strong alcohol. Common concepts are are stuffed foods such as stuffed pastas, meats, and roots. Most meals focus on meats and cheeses, served with sweet or savory dipping sauces. Dried meats, pickled fruits and vegetables (and less savory items to foreigners palates) serve as workday foods and snacks. Breakfast is again usually protein and sugar, as shown by the use of eggs, sausages, ham, bacon, and baked goods flavored with sweet syrups derived from tree sap.

Comment

Where the hell did I put these elaborate descriptions of my family's holiday meals...

Bits and pieces of Exalted setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
              Hmm. What part of Creation would eat matzoh ball soup?

Probably anywhere where leavening agents are hard to come by or difficult to maintain or control. Chicken soups appear in every culture I know of, and most include some sort of noodle or other breaded product. I can't find what really makes Matzoh unique aside from the unleavened bit, because every google search just turns up that it is made from other types of matzoh materials (matzoh balls are made from matzoh meal which is made from matzoh crackers). Basically, everywhere would have some form of chicken soup with dumplings.

Comment

Sauerkraut and sausage. Popular, I would guess, in the Northern threshold and North-East, or really anywhere that both cabbage and herd animals can be found.

Mnemon is a surprisingly messy eater...

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

My friends and I are preparing for our annual trip to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios next month.

We always get together the night before we go and have a nice dinner and watch horror movies. I'm the cook, by the way.

This year, the menu would probably be right at home in the North. Possibly parts of the South, too.

We're going with a roasted leg of lamb, with a sauce made from beer, honey, juniper berries, and cloves. I'll be putting together a nice, hearty salad as well. One of my friends will be bringing her roasted root vegetables recipe. I'll also be attempting a real milestone in the career of an aspiring cook: baking my own bread. Dessert? Pumpkin pie. And no, nothing that comes from a can will be involved. REAL pumpkin pie, made from an actual pumpkin.

............Dammit, is it October yet?

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
                  Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

Originally posted by unnatural1 View Post
                    My friends and I are preparing for our annual trip to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios next month.

We always get together the night before we go and have a nice dinner and watch horror movies. I'm the cook, by the way.

This year, the menu would probably be right at home in the North. Possibly parts of the South, too.

We're going with a roasted leg of lamb, with a sauce made from beer, honey, juniper berries, and cloves. I'll be putting together a nice, hearty salad as well. One of my friends will be bringing her roasted root vegetables recipe. I'll also be attempting a real milestone in the career of an aspiring cook: baking my own bread. Dessert? Pumpkin pie. And no, nothing that comes from a can will be involved. REAL pumpkin pie, made from an actual pumpkin.

............Dammit, is it October yet?

There is no reason to wait for October for lamb shanks.

Comment

Pigeon-shaped stuffed cabbage rolls* and corned beef. I'm guessing the North in Creation.

*By the way, the weird l with a diagonal through it is a w sound, not an l sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiresias View Post
                        i see what you did there and i can never unsee it

I got maple syrup and... maple syrup. I guess you could recycle the idea with Wood Elemental sap somehow.
                        Having moved from Alberta to California I can offer the following ideas...

Calgary(and the area immediately around it) has Ginger Fried Beef.

Alberta has beef in general, same as Texas I'd imagine.

And embracing the world of fast/junk foods...

A&W hamburgers - they're utter crap down here.

Donut shops that don't close at noon (seriously america, WTF?)

Ketchup Chips.

Popcorn Twists.

Hickory Sticks.

Cheesies.

Crunchy bars (this is a chocolate bar).

Aero bars.

Odd_Canuck is not a topical medication or food product and is not to be taken internally or seriously.

Comment

Pitaya/Dragon Fruit has been a thing in our Shogunate game, at the time the game is set in its mostly found in the West and certainly looks the part of a food item that the Usurpation has turned into a luxury item.

I bring it to the attention of this thread due to some of the ways I have seen it prepared and presented.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                          Please spare a thought for updating the Exalted wiki.

Comment

Originally posted by Ejtaka View Post

There is no reason to wait for October for lamb shanks.
                            Good point.

*Checks budget.*

Soon. Sooon!

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
                            Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

Virtually every IRL culture has a food that is effectively dumpling-esque. I imagine Creation is no different.

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

Working...
                              X