No announcement yet.

meschlum's Grace Magic, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Raksha

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• meschlum's Grace Magic, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Raksha

Ahoy, one and all! A recent thread reminded me of an older thread when I'd mentioned trying to get this thing up. So, getting to that, eventually.

For a bit of history, when the Ink Monkeys were in swing, Holden went through the enormous undertaking of giving extensive errata to Graceful Wicked Masques: The Fair Folk. This has brought me much personal joy, so I want to say thanks to him for plowing through all that entirely pro bono. Also bringing me much personal joy was this essay, submitted in several parts beginning February 11, 2015. It was written by meschlum, a forumite who doesn't appear to have made the transition, but was an awesome guy and a genuine delight, especially for anything raksha-related. The essay went comprehensively into the costs and benefits for all stripes of Grace Magic, as well as some very nifty examples for each.

I managed to save it, and now, at long last, repost it all here in what I hope is a friendly and useful format.

As a quick note. I don't think much changed directly for the raksha in 2.5. However, my 2e-/2.5-fu is weak, so I can't say how well they fare in that environment, or how valid/useful some of this stuff is. Just want to lob that caveat out there. Also, it does sort of devolve into a bit of wankery toward the end that, while interesting to read and consider (at least to me), is seriously subject to ST approval/veto, so head's up there.

Being the stickler for detail that I am, I've tried to preserve the original formatting and also included Intermissions between each segment, for all the commentary posts others provided in between. I did make some edits for expediency and logistics, but it's as close as we might get to the original experience, folks. Enjoy!

Overview: Costs, or Picking the Right Amount of Boom for Your Motes
    Grace Magic. Fun, fun, fun. Allowing a remarkable range of crazy things, and numbers to deal with them. Therefore, it is time to explore what and how they work (or fail to).

Costs, or Picking the Right Amount of Boom for Your Motes

Some artifacts are better than others. With Grace Magic, this can be extended to entire categories, so it's a good starting point for any prospective tinkerer in Adjurations, Behemoths and Oneiromancy.

Adjurations

The efficiency god of Adjurations is the 1-dot version. It grants 2 points worth of powers for 1 committed mote. As long as you don't want to pick up high cost Assumption forms, Bastion of the Self, or Pounding Dream Harmony, there is literally no reason not to load up on 1-dot Adjurations rather than anything more expensive.

High cost Assumptions remove your ability to act independently, Bastion of the Self fails against Charms (including Excellencies) and stunts, and Pounding Dream Harmony just grants a roll-off against magical disguises (with no bonus successes, and only against lower Essence beings), so the Grace Magic applications of Adjurations above 1-dot are basically nil, barring very creative use.

I have excluded Ordinary Object Conjuration and Beguilement from the list, because they can be done with Inward Facing Oneiromancy, which costs even less.

Verdict: post errata, anyone doing Grace Magic is going to ignore Adjurations above 1-dot unless they are dedicated to Staff shaping conflict.

Behemoths

Behemoths are independent beings, so having a few more powerful ones can make sense as opposed to many weaker beasts. What's more, they get significant power-ups at 3 and 4+ dots, so a high dot Behemoth can be a worthwhile investment.

Remember, a behemoth is either a weak ally (when attuned to by a retinue granted handler), or a distorted version of yourself. Since motes are precious, you (a noble) want to attune to low dot behemoths and let your superior Attributes do the heavy lifting, and allow your servants to attune to the high dot creatures - they'll be less powerful, but have lots of mutations to make up for it.

Verdict: Behemoths haven't really changed post-errata, and continue to work reasonably well cost-wise.

Oneiromancy

This is where things break down. We now have two forms o Oneiromancy, Inward and Outward facing, and they really don't work all that well cost-wise (of course, they didn't before, either).

Since they can be handed over to lorekeepers in order to take care of the committed motes, there is no real mote cost to Oneiromancies. 4+ dot spells require heroic commoner lorekeepers, so they are something of an exception, true. In any case, my cost focus will therefore rest on the number of artifact dots it costs to get what you want, and the gossamer cost of the spells.

Inward-facing

Inward-facing Oneiromancies will have 1-dot Assumption forms. Period.

A 1-dot spell gives you 9 points to play with (enough to buy Beguilement and 4 versions of Ordinary Object Conjuration, for those who were looking at Adjurations to do this instead).

A 2-dot spell gives you 10 points. You could get 18 by using two 1-dot spells. If you're using mad God Mien, it's 16 points instead of 9. All it costs is one extra gossamer, and gossamer is cheap post-errata.

A 3-dot spell gives you 12 points. Instead of 27 (24 versus 11 with Mad God Mien), or 18 if you want to spend the same amount of gossamer. It does last longer, but a season versus a year isn't going to matter much.

A 4-dot spell gives you 14 points, and a 5-dot gives you 17. Why bother? A century duration at 5 dots is cute, but it calls for 15 committed motes (so a heroic commoner dedicated to the job), and if you can't scrounge up 2 gossamer per season (for two 1-dot Oneiromancies giving the same effect) you have bigger problems.

Verdict: Thou Shalt Employ 1-dot Oneiromancies and Like It.

Outward-facing

If you're using Outward-Facing Oneiromancies with 1-dot Assumptions, see the cost issues with inward-facing. Otherwise, you get a slightly different problem. The points granted by Oneiromancies were calculated so that at 1 to 4 dots, you'd get enough for 9 points worth of effects and the largest allowed Oneiromancy, from Assumption of the Land's Heart to Assumption of the Living Kingdom. At low dots, this fails.

Mad God Men is worth noting: it is the only power that does not cost a multiple of 3 points, so tacking it onto a spell can cost as much as 3 points...

Assumption of the Land's Heart will affect up to 25 people. An Oneiromancy with a 1-dot Assumption works within line of sight - which is a LOT more than 25 people, and it's portable. What's more, there is a single power costing more than 9 points (Curse of Definition), and it costs too much to be used in a 2-dot Oneiromancy.

So you're not going to use Land's Heart.

1-dot spell: 9 points available, or 6 if you use MGM.
    2-dot spell: 9 points available, with MGM.
    3-dot spell: 12 points available, or 9 with MGM or City's Heart. 6 points with both.
    4-dot spell: 12 points available, with MGM. 9 points with MGM and City's Heart or Living Kingdom only. 6 points with Living Kingdom and MGM.
    5-dot spell: 15 points available, with MGM. 12 points with MGM and City's Heart or Living Kingdom only. 9 points with Living Kingdom and MGM.

You want as many points as possible, of course. So the exact best choice depends a lot on what you are trying to do. The huge majority of the interesting powers cost 3 points, which makes 1-dot spells largely the best when dealing with 1 point Assumptions.

If you're interested in larger ranges, 3-dot spells are generally better for City's Heart without MGM, and 5-dot spells with MGM. When dealing with Living Kingdom, 5-dot spells are again superior.

Verdict: 1-dot spells will do almost all of your work, 5-dot spells take care of the massive area of effect Outward facing Oneiromancies, 3-dot spells are used when you want to use City's Heart and don't worry about dispelling. Other cases (2- and 4-dot spells) are employed when you want to use high point cost powers under special conditions - if at all.

Next

How-to guides on getting the most fun out of your Grace Magic, with examples. Oneiromancy is the big one, but there are fun things to be done with the others as well. I'll accept suggestions as to the order in which to deal with them, of course.

Intermission
    coranis_Italy
    Very useful!

39Steps
    Every time I read a post about Fair Folk crunch, I am forced to acknowledge my utter failure to wrap my head around any (non-fluff) part of Graceful Wicked Masques at all.

When I read a really engaging post by someone who has such a strong command of Grace Magic systems, like the one above, it makes me want to grit my teeth and wade back into GWM one more time, in hope of finally understanding it beyond the "I guess it's sorta like Wyld Zone-Certámen" level.

(straps on helmet, vows to kick that football TO THE MOON this time)
    (attempts to internalize info in the Shaping Stances sidebar)
    (emits standard AAAAAUGHH! wail, hits the ground with a mentally unathletic *WHUMP!*)

Akodo_Jin
    Is there not a worth to use them for shaping combat though?

Segev
    39Steps wrote:
    Every time I read a post about Fair Folk crunch, I am forced to acknowledge my utter failure to wrap my head around any (non-fluff) part of Graceful Wicked Masques at all.

When I read a really engaging post by someone who has such a strong command of Grace Magic systems, like the one above, it makes me want to grit my teeth and wade back into GWM one more time, in hope of finally understanding it beyond the "I guess it's sorta like Wyld Zone-Certámen" level.
    Be warned: Scroll of Errata changed a lot about them from GWM. Much of what the original post references is the SoE changes, not GWM mechanics.

BrilliantRain
    As I've built a few Oneiromancy spells and Behemoths recently I find this very interesting and look forward to where you're going with it. As a note, this wiki page has links to the lists of various keyworded charms, which many people may find useful.

EDITOR'S NOTE:Naturally, the link is dead, because the wiki's out of commission. :/ But man, that thing was useful when it lasted. If the wiki's reborn someday and someone sees this, PM me! It'll will remind me to update that link.

Prologue: Pre-errata Costs
    Pre-errata Costs

Since the topic was raised, it seems appropriate to touch on this as well.

Adjurations

Pre-errata, you had to worry about mutation points, and high dot Adjurations gave you reductions in mutation point costs. Plus, a huge range of charms qualified as mutations, so Adjurations were extremely valuable.

1-dot Adjuration: cheapest mutation points per committed mote, but gave no mutation point discount. Useful for picking up a self affecting Charm you really want that's deep in a non-favored Grace tree, if you're worried about motes.

2-dot Adjuration: also gave no discounts, rather poor mutation points per mote, no mp discounts. However, it's the cheapest way to pick up a 3-point mutation, and pre-errata had lots of 1 gossamer cost Charms that were fun to inflict on others.

3-dot and 4-dot Adjurations: gave a half off discount on mutation points, allowing Fair Folk to use more than usual. The 4-dot Adjuration is superior in terms of mutation points per mote, and allows 6 point mutations, including Abominations and 2 gossamer cost Charms affecting others.

5-dot Adjurations: very poor mutation points per mote, but very high mutation point discount. The favored tool for high Essence nobles who want to have a plethora of exotic powers available.

Verdict: high dot Adjurations are Good, especially the 4- and 5-dot ones. Even 3-dot Adjurations are worthwhile for the mutation point discount. 1- and 2-dot Adjurations are less valuable due to mutation point costs, but still have their uses.

Behemoths

No real change between pre- and post- errata. Done!

Oneiromancies

The same cost considerations apply as for post-errata, with some significant differences:

- Inward facing Oneiromancies are a lot less supported (one example low dot Oneiromancy is all that suggests it's possible).

- Inward and outward facing effects can be combined in the same spell, making each point worthwhile, unlike the impact of Mad God Mien on outward facing Oneiromancies.

- Oneiromancies at 3+ dots can bypass Glamour Resistance even if it should apply, making them a lot more valuable and powerful than their low dot analogs.

Verdict: low dot Oneiromancies are still good for getting lots of points (and even ore options exist if your GM will allow inward facing effects). High dot Oneiromancies are actually worth having, because bypassing Glamour Resistance is vital. Mixing and matching inward and outward facing effects allows better use of the points provided by Oneiromancies. In all, the best choice for a spell is much more dynamic.

Act I: Playing with Adjurations
    Playing with Adjurations

Now that we know how much it costs to pick up an Adjuration, and which ones to consider, it's time to see what can be done with them.

Of all the forms of Grace magic, Adjurations have two unique aspects:

- They can grant Assumption charms
    - They can grant Mutation type charms

We've established that having a minion commit the motes for a 1-dot inward facing Oneiromancy gives you a lot more points for charms that are both Glamour and Mutation type, so there are fewer options to consider than would otherwise seem apparent.

Assumption Charms

This is where Adjurations shine. It costs 1 mote to commit to a 1-dot Adjuration with an Assumption form, which gives you the best of all worlds: you can revert to Unshaped form by dismissing the Adjuration, but only commit 1 mote rather than 10+. By reforging the Adjuration, you can change your default shape when in the Wyld, so you have some flexibility. And you get an extra point to spend on something else, just because.

If you absolutely must, you can pick up high cost Assumption Charms this way without needing to learn the pre-requisites, which is nice (though Terrible Wonderland Infliction, being a separate Charm, still requires learning the whole tree).

So if you don't want to be burdened with a permanent Assumption, pick up a 1-dot Adjuration and never look back.

The Mask of Night and Day

"I shall be as kind as the sun and as cruel as the night," the Raksha swore, adjusting its mask of tears and fine cloth. When it stepped out into the light, the tears were of joy and the fabric as soft as a kiss, and all the mortals it met loved it. For the entire day, from dawn to dusk, the Raksha danced and played, and the townsfolk joined it in its delight and laughter.

When night fell, the tears took on the flavor of terror, the fabric was hair ripped from still living bodies, and all mortals who saw the Raksha knew horror and froze. For the entire night, from dusk to dawn, the Raksha danced and played, and the townsfolk joined it in its delight and slaughter.

1-dot Adjuration, with Assumption of Dreams and Passion (kindness) and Assumption of Dreams and Passion (cruelty). The first is active during the day, the second at night.

This, incidentally, illustrates an often overlooked aspect of Grace magic: the triggers can be exploited, and having the spell end or be interrupted can actually be useful.

Mutation Charms

Any charms I ignore here are also available as Oneiromancies, and therefore not worth taking in an Adjuration (a 1-dot Oneiromancy requires no committed motes (retinue) and grants 9 points, where a 1-dot Adjuration requires 1 mote and grants 2 points. Even trading down 3 for 1 in the Oneiromancy makes it a better deal).

- Peerless Ways: being able to tell if someone has already been fed on is amusing, and cheap, but of very limited use. If their virtues are at zero, you don't need this Charm. Otherwise, you can feed on them and gain a lot of motes, given your small pool. A Spirit Twisting Obsession Stylist could almost consider it worthwhile... but it's a Tier 1 Charm, costing 6 xp (requires 3 essence), so it's not really worth it.

- Bastion of the Self: one of the few reasons to ever pick up an Adjuration costing more than 1 dot, it remains not that good due to extremely fragile invulnerability. Learning the charm is cheaper than having it in an Adjuration, and it's Tier 1.

The only way to make it vaguely useful in Adjuration form is to have multiples: a 5-dot Adjuration will give you two Bastions, and you can set conditions so that they activate at different times. This can get you past the limit of having a single form of Bastion of the Self, but it's rather abusive (and not that good).

- Bedlam Charms: Tier 1 or 2, always on and requiring no motes if you pick up the Charm. Why bother?

- Gladdening Visage: also possible with an Oneiromancy, this depends on the GM's call as to MDV. If the MDV condition benefits from high Appearance, then using it as an Adjuration can be worthwhile. It's still a Tier 1 charm, though.

- Wyld Prince Resilience: extra shaping health levels are actually useful, and they are valuable even if you are not a Cup user. Actually worth it, as it's a Tier 2 Cup charm - but since it's limited to Essence applications, you'll quickly find it superfluous (6 xp per version, plus 6 xp for Cup 2 is all it needs).

- Mind's Grip Rigor: this one is Tier 2 and calls for Ring 5, so it's actually hard to get. Worth considering if you're not a shaping conflict focused Worker and need Keen Senses.

- Creator's Fugue: Tier 2, Ring 3, gives a bonus success for creating things. Nice for Workers or Grace Magic crafting Diplomats.

- Endless Yawning Void: Tier 2, Ring 3, environmental damage. You'll want a way to turn it off, and it's only really effective if you have high Ring to start with. It is a lot cheaper to use as an Adjuration (1 committed mote versus 2 motes and 2 gossamer per use), so by all means fit it into an Adjuration if you want to use it.

- Luminous Exhalation: Tier 2, Ring 3, Phantom Arrow Technique. Since mutations are free, this is better as an Adjuration than taking the Charm. Recommended to Warriors who want to play with Archery, pass for anyone else.

- Pounding Dream Harmony: another option for 4 point cost things (besides Bastion of the Self and Shuffling the Pieces). If your opponent is using essence to hide themselves, they get bonus successes to their roll. You don't, so you fail. If they are using mundane methods, you have better dice pools, so you succeed (if it matters to you). It's a Tier 2, Ring 4 charm which costs a fortune to activate. Again, if you ever expect to find it useful, don't take the charm and get an Adjuration instead. Whether it will ever be useful is another matter entirely.

- Knife Hand Dream: Tier 1, nice for Warriors who expect to be involved in Martial Arts. Worth taking as an Adjuration at higher Essence, so as to save gossamer. But then, if you have higher Essence, you have insane amounts of gossamer.

- Opalescent Gossamer Raiment: Tier 2, gives you a little extra soak. Nice to have if you expect being in trouble.

- Blade Turning Skin: Tier 3, Ring 2. Gives a minute amount of Aggravated soak, which probably won't save you if you get in a fight with something capable of inflicting Aggravated damage. the final charm in the tree is Tier 4, Ring 3, and gives somewhat better soak - but can't be taken as an Adjuration, so any non-Ring user is out of luck.

- Worker's Gift: accumulate infinite or tiny amounts of gossamer, depending on your GM. Can be worth having if you have a generous GM and a Motivation it's easy to progress towards. Otherwise? Why bother. Also, Tier 1, so you can pick it up for 6 xp and ponder Style Improving Spirit rather than commit motes to a permanent effect. Not worth it, therefore.

- Rarefied Air of Inevitable Victory: you have an intangible shield, granting +1 DV. Worth the cost, as it's a Tier 5 charm requiring Sword 5 to get otherwise. For +1 DV.

- Hundred Hand Style: +2 Rate to unarmed attacks. Tier 1. For the Warrior who must have everything - and since you can't pick up Revolving Spheres as an Adjuration, you're going to want to learn the Charms anyway. Plus, it's a permanent effect, so committing motes to it makes even less sense.

- Millipede Mind: see above.

- Armament of Flesh: see above, though the initial benefits are a bit better than Hundred Hand Style at character creation.

- Racing Dragon Speed: Tier 1, permanent Charm. Boosts your speed, but why commit the motes when it costs 6 xp to pick up?

- Surpassing Excellence: +2 dice to a specialty is actually rather nice, and cheap. Plus, the Adjuration format lets you revert to Unshaped later on.

- Glorious Hero Form: 1 die Attribute bonus. Take it many times and have the 'active' one vary based on the situation, if you want a constant +1 bonus at the price of 5 committed motes (5 1-dot Adjurations, each activating under specific conditions). Otherwise, pick your favorite Attribute and buy the charm. Requires Sword 2, so it's a total of 12 xp to buy if you're not a Warrior.

- Shuffling the Pieces: another possible reason to pick up a 3+ dot Adjuration. Tier 5, Staff 5, costs 5 motes to activate. A 3 dot Adjuration is always cheaper, and the most effective choice. A vaguely cute way to create an army of harmless minions if you have lots of spare extras to kill. Good for Warriors who like War, I suppose.

- Brilliant Glinting Lure: Tier 5, Cup 4. A permanent effect that makes you much better at making people love you. Does require a 2 dot Adjuration for optimal cost, so it's a bit expensive, but nice to have if you plan on going deep into the light side of social thing and Spirit Twisting Obsession Style. Otherwise, why bother?

Verdict: only very specialized characters will want Adjurations costing more than 1 dot, and will never want anything more than a 3-dot Adjuration (barring multiple Bastion of the Self shenanigans). Most Adjurations are useful in the early game, before you've picked up the xp to learn the permanent Charms and save a few committed motes. A few remain useful forever (because they cost less than the associated Charm), but they are rather specialized.

The Rapid Exit

"Much as I annoy the Exalts, they will never catch me," a rather foolish promise but one that draws many brave Warriors into its clutches. So long as an angry Exalt is chasing them, they move with unmatched speed and show remarkable talent for acrobatics and evasion.

1-dot Adjuration: Racing Dragon Speed, Surpassing Excellence (Dex + Athletics, while getting away).

Consider extra versions with other specialties, granting truly insane speeds to multiply committed Warriors as well as bonuses to Dodge and the like.

Verdict

Adjurations are good for cheap Assumption forms. They help shore up a few weak points in starting characters, and contribute to a few very specialized builds. 1-dot Adjurations remain the absolute kings of the playing field, in terms of cost and applications.

Next

We explore the topic of Behemoths. Just because their costs didn't change post errata doesn't mean there isn't anything fun to do with them. We'll start with ways to destroy all life and go on from there.

Intermission
    Inugami
    meschlum wrote:
    Assumption Charms

This is where Adjurations shine. It costs 1 mote to commit to a 1-dot Adjuration with an Assumption form, which gives you the best of all worlds: you can revert to Unshaped form by dismissing the Adjuration, but only commit 1 mote rather than 10+. By reforging the Adjuration, you can change your default shape when in the Wyld, so you have some flexibility. And you get an extra point to spend on something else, just because.

If you absolutely must, you can pick up high cost Assumption Charms this way without needing to learn the pre-requisites, which is nice (though Terrible Wonderland Infliction, being a separate Charm, still requires learning the whole tree).

So if you don't want to be burdened with a permanent Assumption, pick up a 1-dot Adjuration and never look back.
    What's more, more than one raksha can attune to an Adjuration. If the entire court wants to play at being fire faeries, it only takes one Adjuration.
    meschlum wrote:
    This, incidentally, illustrates an often overlooked aspect of Grace magic: the triggers can be exploited, and having the spell end or be interrupted can actually be useful.
    I have never understood how the oath parts of Adjurations are supposed to work. There's not enough rules or guidelines to explain what restrictions you have to build in, or how you might make them work for you.

Segev
    Inugami wrote:
    [INDENT=2]meschlum wrote:
    This, incidentally, illustrates an often overlooked aspect of Grace magic: the triggers can be exploited, and having the spell end or be interrupted can actually be useful.[/INDENT]
    I have never understood how the oath parts of Adjurations are supposed to work. There's not enough rules or guidelines to explain what restrictions you have to build in, or how you might make them work for you.
    In particular, I don't think they qualify as "triggers" at all. Adjurations are "on," period. If you break the Oath, you suffer the botches and lose the Adjuration's power, and have to re-attune it if you want it back.

Also, I am not positive that the errata'd version of Adjurations don't require you to spend the gossamer costs associated with the activation of the innate powers the Charms grant. They no longer cost Xg for the Charm itself; the costs are all in parentheses.

So, for instance, Mind's Grip Rigor doesn't cost anything; it's permanent. It just grants the innate power to spend gossamer to activate Keen Sense Technique for a scene. I am not positive that taking it as an Adjuration would give you an iteration of Keen Sense Technique: it could be that it gives you the power to spend gossamer to activate the particular iteration of KST that you specified in taking the Oath.

Fitter Happier
    meschlum wrote:
    The Rapid Exit

"Much as I annoy the Exalts, they will never catch me," a rather foolish promise but one that draws many brave Warriors into its clutches. So long as an angry Exalt is chasing them, they move with unmatched speed and show remarkable talent for acrobatics and evasion.

1-dot Adjuration: Racing Dragon Speed, Surpassing Excellence (Dex + Athletics, while getting away).

Consider extra versions with other specialties, granting truly insane speeds to multiply committed Warriors as well as bonuses to Dodge and the like.
    Not really how it works. Adjurations are always on. With that oath, as soon as an Exalt catches you, it breaks and you suffer catastrophic botches. And there's no end condition, so you can never get out of it.

Adjurations are like, "Never shall my feet touch the ground until I have torn out the Unconquered Sun's heart" or "For ten years I will help any who ask, and my resplendence will magnify ten thousandfold." You need to include some kind of condition under which the Oath is satisfied, or you're left with no way out of it other than breaking your word. Ideally, it's a condition worded in such a way that you can fulfill the oath with minimal effort on your part, should it ever become a burden to you.

Raksha are tricky like that!

Ikelos
    Fitter Happier wrote:
    Not really how it works. Adjurations are always on. With that oath, as soon as an Exalt catches you, it breaks and you suffer catastrophic botches. And there's no end condition, so you can never get out of it.

Adjurations are like, "Never shall my feet touch the ground until I have torn out the Unconquered Sun's heart" or "For ten years I will help any who ask, and my resplendence will magnify ten thousandfold." You need to include some kind of condition under which the Oath is satisfied, or you're left with no way out of it other than breaking your word. Ideally, it's a condition worded in such a way that you can fulfill the oath with minimal effort on your part, should it ever become a burden to you.

Raksha are tricky like that!
    While I agree with your second statement and paragraph, I do not think i would completely agree with the first. Adjurations are artifacts. You de-attune, you lose the benefits (and costs). That's your "end condition". The idea of an adjuration-gone-wrong that can never be turned off is bad, at least imo, from a design standpoint because they cast background dots, whats supposed to be a character resource. You don't see yasal crystals going bad and hindering their users, FOREVER or collars of cleansing light... Why should such a precious resource become such a powerful penalty?

Overall I think Meschlum is doing a good analysis, though I personally feel that there might be some cases where the higher dot adjurations and oneiromancies are fairly useful. What I would really like to see more of from any of the Raksha-minded developers/writers/community is information on "Treasures". They have the least amount of space devoted to them and few, to if any rules governing how they work, appropriate examples, et atc.

Fitter Happier
    Ikelos wrote:
    You de-attune, you lose the benefits (and costs).
    Away from my books, but I'm pretty sure you can't just say, "lol I de-attune no more oath."
    Ikelos wrote:
    The idea of an adjuration-gone-wrong that can never be turned off is bad, at least imo, from a design standpoint because they cast background dots, whats supposed to be a character resource.
    It's also explicitly an example given (admittedly in the 1E) raksha book. Guy took an oath to become invincible "on land and at sea, during day and night, inside and outside etc." and some guy threw him across his knees and strangled him on a threshold at twilight. Five catastrophic botches later, and the oath-taker's Graces are all shattered.
    Ikelos wrote:
    You don't see yasal crystals going bad and hindering their users, FOREVER or collars of cleansing light... Why should such a precious resource become such a powerful penalty?
    Because that's how oaths work.

Inugami
    It's not possible to break attunement to an Adjuration without fulfilling the oath or breaking it. You can lose ownership and possession and mastery of the Adjuration, but the oath and attunement remain.

What happens to your oath and its power if someone breaks the Adjuration artifact or changes it into a different form, I don't know.

Act 1.5: I knew there was an Escape Clause somewhere
    I concur that there can be some story point to having powerful Adjurations, but from the mechanics standpoint they are... limited. And since a lot of what they do is provide Tier 1 permanent charms (and, depending on your reading, they don't offer cost discounts for Charms with an activation cost), there is very little they can add to your legend. "I have an extra 2 shaping health tracks. Fear me." is somewhat underwhelming.

I knew there was an Escape Clause somewhere

Since the topic came up, there are lots of ways to get around Adjurations.

By the book, you are forced to stick to the Adjuration until it is either completed or broken. Therefore!

* Add a timer: "For one week", "For one hour", "For a season"... and you're set.
    * Add an end condition: "Until I say Shrdfskjfs twice"
    * Reforge the Adjuration so the Oath is easy to complete. Low dot Adjurations are the easiest to change...

Though I cannot find it at the moment, I have the impression that breaking an Adjuration enforced oath will shatter your Staff Grace.

* Know Forging the Staff Grace and break the oath.

If the Adjuration belongs to a Freehold, it can be assigned to any member of the Freehold.

* Have the Freehold transfer the Adjuration to someone else.

If the Adjuration is destroyed, it no longer bothers you

* Own the commoner whose Staff Grace became your 1-dot Adjuration. Destroy the commoner's Heart Grace. As it's a commoner, you suffer no Stasis penalty.

So getting rid of an Adjuration isn't that much of a bother. Having one that goes on / off on command, or does weird things (such as the Assumption based Adjuration I described) is one way to add a little flavor to the mix.

Act 2: Behemoths and you
    Behemoths and you

In terms of price, behemoths are most efficient with 1-dot versions (6 points for 3 committed motes), as each extra dot adds 3 points and 3 committed motes. But since they have a lot of points, gain extra powers at higher dots, and can stand in for you, a higher dot behemoth is actually valuable since it can use complex combinations of powers.

Rules make my head hurt

A point that hasn't been really clarified in the errata is whether Behemoths need Assumption forms to exist in Creation. None of the sample behemoths have Assumption forms, which argues towards no (and the products of Grace magic are permanent works of Glamour anyway). On the other hand, we have Evocation charms, Shape Forged Servants being constrained to the Wyld as they lack Assumption forms (post-errata, anyway). On the third hand (Fair Folk are versatile), Behemoth Forging Meditation should not require that the mutated mortals require an Assumption form - especially as it can no longer grant one!

Behemoths have weapon based natural attacks. How these interact with Armament of Flesh and the other natural attack enhancing charms is not always clear. Especially if the 'natural attack' is actually a ranged attack... or a clinch... or a low Speed weapon...

Behemoths also argue for mutation keyword charms not forcing the user to spend the activation cost, as one could have six behemoths rampaging throughout Creation at the same time, and spending for each activation of each one is rather extreme. YMMV.

Stacking can do odd things - while your Charms don't apply to the Behemoth, you and it could both have Glorious Hero form, and it does copy your Attributes. Similarly, you could use a few Large mutations and have them stack with the Behemoth's own size.

Post-errata, behemoths have lost a number of archetypal talents. They can no longer transform (Elemental / Bestial Transformation), so the helpless lizard that becomes Godzilla is not possible. They cannot (cheaply) perform elemental attacks (Teeth of the World), so fire breathing dragons are much more difficult (see Essence Attack and Dragon's Breath for more expensive options). They are no longer able to raise armies from the plants and stones around them (Transient Work of Flesh and Bone).

Thanks to Enlightened Essence, your behemoth can have a mote pool. I don't even want to consider what happens then.

It followed me home, what do I do with it?

Given that you now own a Behemoth, what fun things can it do?

Check my comments on Adjurations to start with, with a few caveats. First, anything that helps you for shaping or Bedlam (Wyld Prince Resilience, say) is pointless as you're not the one benefiting from the char, and the behemoth can't benefit from it. Second, piling inward facing Oneiromancies on top of a Behemoth is a conceivable strategy, but it's something of a special case. Thus, since you have lots of points, it can be worth giving your pet mutations that are feasible via inward facing Glamour.

Copy me

Low dot Behemoths operate at the level of their handler, with a few minor boosts. Because artifacts are relatively rare, you'll probably want to attune to them yourself (assuming you are a noble), so that they are competent at whatever they do. This makes them useful for three major things:

- Helpers: if you happen to be a Warrior, coordinating attacks with someone of comparable skill can't hurt.
    - Enhancers: if your hat has enough Strength to carry you and fly, you don't need to pick up Gossamer Winged Flight for yourself.
    - Replacement: for 3 committed motes and Assumption of Dreams and Passion, you get a clone of yourself who can go off and get killed by Exalts, only to return to life over and over (via Unshaped Sword Transformation).

The Glass Warrior

A glass statue of a soldier, this being was woven from a Warrior's shadow when it first died into the waters of the West. The Warrior is a talented combatant, capable of holding its own in most circumstances. As it needs neither sleep nor food - beyond the fragments of souls its handlers give it - it is often found guarding its masters when they rest.

1-dot Behemoth
    Assumption of Earth Shape (glass statue. Seeing in the dark is good if you're on watch)
    Surpassing Excellence (natural weapon - an effective +2 to attack and +1 DV (from +2 dice to defense) is good)
    Armament of Flesh (enhance weapon properties. If you have high Essence, consider Knife Hand Dream instead, for +5 (possibly Aggravated) damage)
    Opalescent Gossamer Raiment (more soak is always nice)

Give it some gossamer armor, and you have a fairly competent fighter - especially if it's your focus. Higher dot versions can pick up Large, Knife Hand Dream, Surpassing Excellence... There is room to fill but the mote cost becomes high.

The Belt of Might

Rumor speaks of an enchanted belt that can confer great power to its bearer, shielding him from harm and allowing him to reach the very skies as he leads armies of the dead against his foes. The Raksha found this tale useful, and made it a reality - a beast that ever seeks to drive its 'wearer' to rise above all and bring the world down.

2-dot Behemoth
    Assumption of the Person's Heart (only the bearer of the Belt can see it, or take it off)
    Gossamer Winged Flight (can be shared with the bearer, per Person's Heart)
    Rarefied Air of Inevitable Victory (can also be shared)
    Shuffling the Pieces (shared with bearer)

This is effectively 8 points of mutations granted for 6 committed motes, a bit worse than a 5-dot Adjuration. But you can dismiss it when you want, and it can act independently of you. If you stick to more direct powers (make it a cestus with Gossamer Winged Flight, Armament of Flesh, Shuffling the Pieces, and Surpassing Excellence for Defend Owner) you don't even need to use the transfer from Person's Heart.

The Hive-child

Somewhere in the Wyld is a massive hive, where the Unshaped form copies of every being that does not exist. This, of course, includes all the Raksha. When a memeber of the hive breaks free, it is often captured, tamed, and sent forth to cause havoc, for it appears to each opposing soldier as an ally - and betrays any who are not like itself.

1-dot Behemoth
    Assumption of Dreams and Passion (perfect copy of its owner)
    Gladdening Visage (if its owner wanders into Creation, the better to fit in)
    Brilliant Glinting Lure (to make allies for its owner)
    Untouchable Performer Technique (no one will mistrust you)

A nice infiltrator and 'party member' for games where you have to deal with Exalts. Adding another dot of artifact gives you somewhat better combat skills, or other tricks via Surpassing Excellence and maybe Imposition of Law.

Be dangerous

Higher dot behemoths are cripplingly expensive to commit to, so you have your retinue do it instead. This means that their core abilities will be lower (by at least 3 dice), and they won't be as dangerous as one could hope. Of course, the 'perfect' killing engine might tempt you into committing to it, but such things are rare.

Given this, what can one do with a high dot behemoth?

- Social Nuke: a lot of Mutation keyword charms help social actions. Stacking 15-18 points worth of these will turn most things into drooling, obedient vegetables.
    - Combat engine: adding up all the combat type mutations and charms available can make for a moderately scary foe, almost a match for the Heroic Commoner Warrior it's attuned to.
    - World Killer: Assumption of the Living Kingdom is there for a reason. The reason is applying whatever you want to everything in range, and making that range outrageous.

The Heart Stealer

It is everything you ever loved, everything you could ever desire. Where it walks, wars begin for the privilege of its rejection. All who cross it seek only to become its suitors, and please it by any means possible. The gift it likes second most is the hearts of other suitors. the gift it loves the most, the one that might earn a smile, is your own heart...

4-dot Behemoth
    Assumption of Dreams and Passion (love. We're picking up all the bonuses we can get here)
    Surpassing Excellence (inspire love)
    Glorious Hero Form (bonus to Appearance and Charisma)
    Untouchable Performer Technique (you can't drive others to hate it)
    Shiftless Untamed Beauty (might as well be addictive)
    Gladdening Visage (a few extra seconds when people think it's normal can't hurt)
    Beguilement (talking to it is UMI and costs extra willpower)
    Brilliant Glinting Lure (it takes a single scene to fall in love)

A 5-dot version would add Imposition of Law (inspire love) in order to deal with all the mortal Extra chaff without bothering to roll.

the Beast at the Heart of Man

When provoked to their final extremity, mortals sometimes show surprising amounts of courage and defiance. This paradoxical feature amuses the Fair Folk, who sought to refine its essence as purely as possible, walking the fine line between breaking their prey and having it exalt. They succeeded in the end, forging a most deadly being, and imposing the shape of a winged lion upon it.

5-dot Behemoth
    Assumption of Bestial Form (lion. Mutation points go into size, soak, and speed)
    Surpassing Excellence (natural weapons)
    Glorious Hero Form (+1 Dex is +1 Dex)
    Armament of Flesh x2 (two times Essence to boost Accuracy and Defense, possibly damage and rate - limited to Heart+1 in each, though)
    Knife Hand Dream (+5 Aggravated damage, on top of the rest)
    Opalescent Gossamer Raiment (extra soak on top of 20/20 base)
    Blade Turning Skin (may as well add some aggravated soak)
    Rarefied Air of Inevitable Victory (+1 DV, may as well)
    Swift Wings of Song (a bonus to Join Battle can't hurt)
    Endless Yawning Void (inflict environmental damage to those nearby)

To be truly scary, attune to it personally, and have high Cup (for Join Battle) but mostly Ring - with All Consuming God Monster Stance, you get at least 5 points of mutations out of Bestial Form (3 for Stance +2 from Heart Stopping Numinous Power), 10 points from Armament of Flesh (for +5 Acc / +5 Def on top of a 3- or 4-dot attuned artifact base), +8/8/5 to soak (try for Heart 4 to get a bit more)... If you use Unsightly Rigor Approach, you can enhance your Cup (Join Battle) and Ring (range and Trauma of environmental damage) to high levels (possibly to 10, from 5 base + 5 bonus).

The End of Life

Some say the Raksha who found this thing went into the very core of Oblivion and discovered it tied to its Heart when it emerged. Other view this as a far too optimistic tale, and worry what will happen when the Unshaped understand that there need not be a single end when a thousand might do as well.

5-dot Behemoth
    Assumption of the Living Kingdom (very big, albeit immobile when active)
    Surpassing Excellence (natural weapon - which is ranged)
    Luminous Exhalation (unlimited ammunition for natural weapon)
    Imposition of Law (natural weapon)
    Imposition of Law (detecting living things within itself)
    Imposition of Law (hiding itself)

Anything entering the area of effect is subjected to high rate flurries of attacks from a 3 or 4 dot artifact weapon. All the time. Mortal armies die. Stealthy Exalts need to maintain stealth constantly, or suffer mote attrition. Shaping Defenses don't apply. And this isn't even a well developed version. Remove a few IoL to add Endless Yawning Void and Knife Hand Dream / Armament of Flesh for even more insane weapon properties, use Oneiromancies to destroy the willpower of those who come in range and inflict massive (external) penalties to Stealth, have its lorekeeper fly around under advanced stealth charms to move the thing and make tracking harder...

Enjoy!

Verdict: Behemoths have a lot of fun and creative potential because they have enough points to pick up a suite of abilities and can act independently to use those abilities.

Next

We move on to Oneiromancy. This is going to hurt.

Intermission
    Inugami
    meschlum wrote:
    Though I cannot find it at the moment, I have the impression that breaking an Adjuration enforced oath will shatter your Staff Grace.
    Don't remember that, but then I studied these things the least when I couldn't make sense of the restrictions.
    meschlum wrote:
    If the Adjuration belongs to a Freehold, it can be assigned to any member of the Freehold.
    Belongs to the master of the freehold or the vizier of the throne room, I think. And it's not that you can assign it without consent; it's that you can allow a constenting individual to attune to it without needing to lose ownership of it.

This is important, because it means they can't simply run off with one of your artifacts.

Act 2.5: Excessive Response Methodology
    Viz: breaking Staff Graces, I may well be wrong.

Viz: Freehold level Adjurations: "I swear, I'm no longer the one responsible for sustaining that Oath. See? Someone else is doing it in the name of the Freehold!" Sure, it's an unusual approach, but the Fair Folk are versatile.

And then, you have the Excessive Response methodology.

- Check if your GM believes that lacking a Staff Grace means you can't swear to an Adjuration. If yes, things are easier. If no, you can deal.
    - Have a friendly Birth 5 colleague (or own and be attuned to the Heart Grace of a commoner with all the Forging the Grace charms and Gaping Virtue Mouth)
    - Destroy your Staff Grace.
    - If the Adjuration is gone, celebrate a kind GM, and have your 'friend' make you a new Staff Grace. Done! This only calls for Birth 4.
    - If not, destroy your other Graces.
    - You are now incapable of attuning to Grace Magics (besides Wyld Treasures), so you can't be attuned to the Adjuration.
    - Have your 'friend' make you new Graces.

The problem with this method is that it raises all kinds of fun questions as to what happens when your Graces are destroyed. Besides Bedlam. Are you vulnerable to Shaping conflict? As a Fair Folk with Grace 0, or a Creation-Born (those with no Way Grace are treated like Creation-born, after all)? If your Graces are created anew, what level do they start at? If you were a noble and lost your Graces, do you remain a noble (probably - your Heart is not touched)? If your Sword is destroyed, you have a Sword of 0. Therefore, successful vexing steals 0 items from you? If so, destroy all the Graces (Sword especially) of a commoner you own, and give them all your stuff, then put them Elsewhere. Nigh theft proofing complete!

Incidentally, it's also somewhat overkill.
    Last edited by Gaius; 10-18-2014, 02:48 PM. Reason: Formatting, etc.

The EX3 What We Know Wiki, courtesy of Marin and JMobius
    Nishkriya, the EX3 Freelancer Quotes Tracker, courtesy of Anathema and Moonwolf
    The White Wolf Forum Archive, courtesy of The Dark Wizard and Sanctaphrax (see its Patreon)
    Arrghus: There's also the Shepherd of the North Star, busily guiding the one thing in all the heavens that doesn't move.

Act 3: Oneiromancy: that puddle of goo is either my brain or Creation. Probably both.
    Oneiromancy: that puddle of goo is either my brain or Creation. Probably both.

We have established that Oneiromancies are best taken with as few dots as possible, at least the inward facing ones. Outward facing is barely more complex: check the area of effect you want, and act accordingly (5 dot for Living Kingdom, and 3 dot for City's Heart without MGM). This tells us little about what this form of Grace Magic can do (hint: almost anything), so it's time to go into a bit more detail.

Things to remember

- The bog standard commoners in your retinue can attune to your 1- to 3- dot Oneiromancies for you, saving you the committed motes. This is usually for the best, since motes are very precious.

- If you want retinue that can accommodate 4- or 5- dot artifacts, you need heroic commoners (or Harmonious Primordial Spirit / Ecstatic Reproduction Technique to make your own), who can deal with one each. At character creation, this calls for Retinue 4 or 5.

- Using an Oneiromancy costs motes (so you can't actually employ a 4- or 5- dot Oneiromancy at Essence 2, and Adjurations make your life difficult) and gossamer. Gossamer, as ever post-errata, is not a factor.

- If you want to be picky, 5-dot Oneiromancies are the most gossamer efficient, requiring 3 gossamer per century. 3- and 4- dots come next, with 2 gossamer per year, then everything else, at 1 gossamer per season. You can afford 1- and 2- dot spells at character creation: eating an extra gives you 8 gossamer (4 from willpower, 2 from both virtues you feed on).

Inward Facing Oneiromancy

This is a new area following the errata, which set for to explicitly state that it was possible for a massive number of Charms - thus ensuring that everyone who has a chance will abuse them.

Inward facing Oneiromancies only work for the owner. Thus, they use 1 point Assumptions. Specifically, they use the Assumption of the Person's Heart - because that makes them immaterial and very hard to detect or tamper with by anyone else.

Once more: Thou Shalt Employ the Assumption of the Person's Heart for thy Inward Facing Glamours.

Inward facing spells work for the person who possesses and holds the spell. Thus, you could activate one and then pass it on to someone else - albeit with no guarantee that they'd give it back. Good for minions (you own them anyway), behemoths (because why not?) and creative gifts.

That bit of mechanics aside, what are these Oneiromancies good for?

- Social Success: lots of ways to melt the minds of the mortals you meet
    - Minor Combat Knacks: a few tricks that will help you in a fight
    - Making Things: Ordinary Object Conjuration only costs 1 point!
    - Skipping the dice part: Imposition of Law
    - Warped abominations: picking up huge amounts of mutations

So what can I do exactly?

* Bestial / Elemental / Spectral Transformation: Mutations. Lots of them. Essence +3, to be precise - so at least 4 if attuned to by a member of your retinue, and potentially a lot more. This is where all the pre-errata Adjuration based mutations went to die. Indulge.

* Imposition of Law: for 3 committed motes, you can have 3 copies of IoL active, which would otherwise call for two Adjurations (2 and 4 dots) and six motes. Plus, you're not committing the motes. If you have fun ideas for IoL uses, Inward Facing Oneiromancies are what you need.

* Adaptation to Adversity: don't bother. Really. Immunity to one type of pre-defined environment is only worthwhile if you know what environment you're going to be in, and you never leave. Fair Folk are mobile by nature, as they eat the locals. If you must, create your own Oneiromancies with this effect once you know what you're going to be in.

If you are particularly creative, ask whether Dragon Blood's auras are an environment. Then cackle.

* Untouchable Performer Technique: For social success, it's always nice to have an absolute defense against a wide range of social effects. This completely prevents UMI, which is fun as the more powerful your opponents are, the harder it it for them to not use UMI.

* Swift Wings of Song: for combat and the occasional social conflict, going first is always nice. Make sure your Cup is high when using this, of course.

* Gladdening Visage: another social boost, and a possible reason for attuning to the spell yourself - if your GM has the MDV depend on Appearance, of course.

* Adored by All the World: more allies than you can shake a stick at, especially since you can spawn new ones each time the old set dies. Very cheap when inward-facing, and the stuff GM nightmares are made of. Can be worth committing to yourself, since it depends on Essence.

* Heaven Rains Wisdom: if you want to go about pretending to be a thaumaturge, this is the application for you. At some point, be sure to remind your GM that there are ways for thaumaturges to pick up Terrestrial Sorcery.

* The Naming of Secrets: cheap, social, useful if it's what you're after. Also depends on Essence, so you more or less know what other charms it's going to fit with if you attune to it in person.

* Fall of Night Shadows the Truth: this is sort of like Imposition of Law, except with blanking weak minds. It is obviously not the Charm you are looking for, but might benefit from being attuned to you. On the other hand, it is very selective in its effect, and you need to be there if it fails, so it is rather dangerous.

* Unlimited Resplendence: more social power that depends on your Essence. What more can I say?

* Endless Yawning Void: for the combat type who has a dedicated worker fueling his environmental damage aura.

* Ordinary Object Conjuration: this hat creates diamonds, dead puppies, and contact poison. Abracadabra!

* Limitless Wealth Conjuration Technique: use Unlimited Resplendence instead, unless a single point difference will make or break you (note that the correct cost is 1 / 3 points, not 2 / 6).

* Beguilement: Now we're talking. Permanent UMI and enhanced willpower costs, a massively powerful social boost. And it does not depend on the commoner attuned to it, so add it to the 'boost my social skills' spell which you're not committing motes to.

* Rarefied Air of Inevitable Victory: +1 DV for free is the friend of combat experts.

* Gossamer Winged Flight: what warrior doesn't want to exploit an extra dimension in crushing the opposition?

But what does it mean?

Lalia's Silver Tongue

Some say that Lalia was a mortal who managed to talk her way out of being devoured by a curt full of starving Raksha. Others claim he was a commoner of the Fair Folk who seduced the Scarlett Empress into surrendering the keys to the Sword of Creation. What all the stories agree upon is that Lalia paid a price, and its tongue is now used by those who seek to employ speech to overcome their troubles.

1-dot Oneiromancy
    Assumption of the Person's Heart: to your eyes, your tongue is no longer quite your own, but a silver thing that changes your words subtly, making them more convincing.
    Beguilement: Of course.
    Gladdening Visage: to fit in anywhere
    Untouchable Performer Technique: because you won't let people say that you're melting their minds with your charming words. Even if it's true. Especially if it's true.
    Unlimited Resplendence: why not be rich and influential?

The true social fanatic will have one self attuned Oneiromancy with Adored by All the World, Naming of Secrets, and Unlimited Resplendence, plus Gladdening Visage, Untouchable Performer and Mad God Mien. This lets you fit in anywhere and have lots of allies. Then you add a second Oneiromancy, which your retinue attunes to, to get Beguilement, Swift Wings of Song, and MGM - you now have the full Oneiromantic suite, for 3 committed motes.

Verdis's Cape

Verdis hated battle, and so went to war as often as possible, so as to truly confront this abomination. Whenever conflict began, Verdis would set its cape before its eyes, to hide the horror - and peek and listen avidly, one must confess. One day, the conflict did not end the way Verdis expected, and only the cape returned.

1-dot Oneiromancy
    Assumption of Cerements and Bone: the cape seems normal, but it amplifies the sounds and scent of bloodshed nearby.
    Swift Wings of Song: to be the first to run - away or forwards.
    Endless Yawning Void: coming near the cape's owner is not safe, for it seeks the blood of others.
    Rarefied Air of Inevitable Victory: the cape gets in the way of opponent's blows
    Gossamer Winged Flight: if worst comes to worse, the cape will remove its bearer from danger.

This is pretty much everything you can get (besides mutations) that is combat related. So any Warrior with a bit of Retinue (especially with a Worker or Entertainer lorekeeper) can have it all for free.

The Bottomless Bag

Once, a curious Raksha sought to express and make manifest the concept of its hunger. What it did not expect was the unlimited maelstrom that emerged, threatening to consume the entire Wyld. So, in a last instant moment of inspiration, it fed its hunger to itself. When the conflagration ended, the Bag remained, its appetite inverted and seeking to fill the void with its feast.

Assumption of Dreams and Passion: the bag looks like it is always quite full, as if it were some sort of beast that has just been well fed.
    Ordinary Object Conjuration: taken nine times, it suffices that its owner reach inside to find something within and display it to the world. Emeralds, decks of cards, moldy cheese, an unlimited supply of cubic zirconium jewelry, a strange metallic outhouse larger than the bag itself with the words 'Phone Box' written on it, car keys... go wild.

The Splinted Albatross

The most powerful demonologists speak in hushed tones of a book full of blasphemous knowledge, depicting in detail rites and spells more powerful and precise than any others. They are quite right, of course, and the Albatross is far more potent than it's inferior cousin. At least that's what the Raksha selling it claim, and they may well be right - because the Albatross is much easier to find, and use, than that other Crane thingy. Plus, its wings are splinted and it'll be flying soon.

1-dot Behemoth
    Assumption of Dreams and Passion: the Albatross looks exactly like a book of ancient and forbidden knowledge.
    Imposition of Law: the Albatross never fails to draw the attention of a demon when its 'owner' tries one of the summoning spells in its pages.
    Gossamer Winged Flight: the Albatross is extremely good at slipping out of its 'owner's hands when they are looking for a binding spell, and at simply getting away from ground zero.

Oh. Wait. This is supposed to be an Oneiromancy, right? Fine.

1-dot Oneiromancy
    Assumption of Cerements and Bone: the Albatross is bound in fresh human skin. Somehow, despite being ancient, it always manages to acquire new materials. Its owners have learned not to ask, as it makes for a much greater surprise when they become part of the Albatross.
    Imposition of Law (3 times): the owner of the Albatross cannot fail to draw the attention, and presence, of any and every demonic or Dead thing in the vicinity. Actually knowing some way to control the rampaging hordes that ensue is optional, and not covered in this volume.

The perfect spell for a Fair Folk who just wants to wreck a place in Creation. The owner really should have Gossamer Winged Flight to get away... or maybe a chainsaw?

The Dragon Stone

This ordinary seeming rock fairly hums with the powers of all the other elements, barely contained within its stone shell. It was created when one of the Raksha decided to learn the styles of the Immaculate Orders, only to be rebuffed and restricted by the claim that it lacked the proper elemental nature to learn the most esoteric forms. So the Raksha picked up a pebble, jammed it into its forehead, and proceeded to destroy the monastery with the power it gained thereby.

1-dot Oneiromancy
    Assumption of Earth Form: the Stone is, well, exactly that. Dropping it in a pile of gravel is not recommended. The spell is activated by implanting the stone in the forehead (or equivalent) of its owner.
    Elemental Transformation: taken four times, for Air, Water, Fire, and Wood forms. All four transformations trigger when the owner performs martial arts moves, and persist until the next dawn. This grants 12+4*lorekeeper's essence mutations, which should be enough for just about anything. Incidentally, the owner also appears to be an elemental of all types except Earth. Whether this assists in learning elemental martial arts is unknown.

Possibly worth attuning to by a noble, as one gets more mutation points out of it, and with Essence 3+ it's possible to pick up Abominations as well. Take many versions of Large, Immortal Flesh, and then explore your options. Also, if you happen to have Heart stopping Numinous Power active, you get another 8 points worth of mutations (so at least 32 total: 3 + Essence 3 + 2 from Heart Stopping, times 4).

If you need even more mutations, pick up a second stone.

Next

We go into the realm of Outward Facing Oneiromancies, where the real madness begins. Once that's done, I'll add a few of my favorite bits of Grace Magic assisted lunacy, as there is no reason not to share.

Intermission
    Akodo Jin
    A Behemoth with a mote pool.. Can it attune to artifacts?

meschlum
    I have no idea.

A) Behemoths don't actually need a mote pool, since their powers are always on.

B) I don't see why not. The behemoth is officially an essence user, so it should be possible.

If you're messing with something created via Behemoth Forging Meditation, the answer is definitely yes, since your behemoth is actually a real person who happens to be severely mutated.

C) How would the behemoth respire? I have no idea.

D) The Awakened Essence mutations are a major pain even without this. (grumbles about how mortals can be enlightened for free, but getting the exact same ability via the Wyld will set you close to being unable to live in Creation)

Akodo Jin
    Q2: ...A Behemoth with enhanced attributes of a Handler end up getting 'Awakened Essence' for 4 mutation points. Is this Behemoth now a valid candidate to then become a Handler of an even greater Behemoth?

Q3: Can a Behemoth instead gain enhanced attributes of their Handler and up up becoming a Lorekeeper?

Q4: Should anyone who asks the above questions be slapped? *puts on headgear*

meschlum
    Q2: Not for a normal Behemoth - they lack Graces, and are therefore incapable of attuning to Wyld artifacts (other than Treasures). It could presumably attune to a spare daiklaive, though.

Q2, part B: if the Behemoth has been created via Behemoth Forging Meditation, then it's got some independent sentience, and can therefore be given Graces. In which case, it would be possible, I suppose.

Q3: Not sure what you mean there. A normal Behemoth is as incapable of attuning to Oneiromancies (i.e. being a Lorekeeper) as it is of attuning to other Behemoths, for the same reason.

If the Handler is currently benefiting from attribute increases, the Behemoth gets them too. This applies to Glorious Hero Form, of course, but also to the gains provided by the Large mutations, and to Surpassing Excellence. I expect it also works with the benefits provided by Soul-Consuming Hunger.

Q4: I'll get a mackerel, give me a moment.

That aside, it's the sort of thing I would have liked to see in the errata, because it turns up.

Segev
    Y'know, there's technically nothing preventing somebody from forging a few Graces for a Behemoth. Which is funny, since that means a Sword Grace has Graces of its own, but by making it a wyld creature...

Akodo Jin
    That sounds familiar...

Spoiler

EDITOR'S NOTE: Strictly speaking, it was an image, but eh, I don't have time for that.

Act 3.5: It was hiding from me...
    It was hiding from me...

Obviously, it's possible to play the stealth game with Fall of Night Shadows he Truth in an inward facing glamour, but for some reason I didn't think of it. Never mind the figure behind the curtain... It has applications in the combat domain (no one ever notices you when you're sneaking up behind someone to stab them in the back!. Or reestablishing surprise), and some creative applications as well.

The Perfect Alibi

The Fair Folk realize that mortals might sometimes organize themselves in order to find out who, or what, is partaking of their fine emotions. Since being thrown in jail or executed is tiresome, the Raksha seized upon the concept of the alibi, and refined it to perfection. For some reason, the Oneiromancy is only activated when its owner invokes the name Macavity, over and over.

Assumption of the Person's Heart: the Alibi is a trail of footprints following its owner, which only the owner can see.
    Gladdening Visage: obviously, the bearer of the Alibi is Creation-born.
    Fall of Night Shadows the Truth: there is never any sign that the bearer of the Alibi was anywhere near a crime scene.
    Fall of Night Shadows the Truth: no one the Alibi's owner has ravaged has ever been harmed by the Fair Folk.
    Untouchable Performer Technique: it's simply inconceivable that anyone would think ill of the bearer of the Alibi.
    Mad God Mien: see? Even when passing Exalts dispel any lingering magic, it remains obvious that the bearer of the Alibi is innocent.

Act 4: It's Calibration! Unwrapping Outward Facing Oneiromancies
    It's Calibration! Unwrapping Outward Facing Oneiromancies

Outward Facing Oneiromancies and Behemoths have one important thing in common, which sets them apart form all other forms of Grace magic: they are versatile. Rather than just give you a few (possibly nice) boosts, they allow you to do things to the outside world without being there, and allow a wide range of options. While Behemoths are somewhat restricted in all, being limited by your own abilities, Oneiromancies open up a lot of options.

In practical terms, there are really two kinds of Outward Facing Oneiromancies. Portable ones, which you carry along and use to inflict wonderful shaping nightmares on those who come too close, and fixed. The latter affect huge areas, being linked to 3+ dot Oneiromancies, and can reshape reality in their area of effect. Either way, they have one major flaw: all their effects are Shaping based. To make up for it, they are always on, and most of them can activate far more often than once per scene...

Some of the broad categories that are available with this type of Grace Magic are:

- Social manipulation: creating and destroying wealth, friends, and the like.
    - Curse of Definition: lots of possibilities, largely limited by your GM and imagination.
    - Shaping Dice Doom: gain massive dice advantage over anyone who lacks Shaping defenses.
    - Ordinary Object Conjuration: due to point cost, much more limited than Inward-Facing. Still has potential with large areas of effect.
    - Mind Melting: rewriting the thoughts of anyone nearby
    - Body Melting: because why stop at the mind?
    - Special Effects: a few charms let you pull off unusual tricks, so you may as well use them as part of something bigger.

What does this button do?

* Sovereign Element Shape (and its variants): Part of the Shaping Dice of Doom setup, +3 dice to a specialty is nice. Give it to yourself and your allies, in a portable Oneiromancy, and you'll regret nothing. Since it's good for your allies, you don't need to worry about Shaping defenses.

* World Angering Elemental Mastery: The other part of the Shaping Dice of Doom setup. This grants a (possibly external) penalty of Essence to others. Combine it with Sovereign Elemental Shape, and you have an always on aura of massive advantage.

If you are lucky, you can get +3 dice from Air Shape, +3 dice from King of Beasts, grant penalties from Earth and Darkening Grave Shadow... Put them in different Oneiromancies and watch them pile up! Warning: high risk of GWM impacting your head.

* Bestial Transformation: you can turn other people into animals. Thus is huge, and contributes tot he Body Melting schemes significantly, as it can afflict anyone.

* Emotion Weaving Style: the Charm is worthless. The Oneiromancy is terrifying if it works as written. Even if it just works as written, it remains potent. Enjoy this tool of massive mind rewriting - though the targets are limited at low Essence.

* Adaptation to Adversity: as valuable when outward facing as when inward facing. Which is to say, not at all unless your entire game is going to be fixed in a single setting.

* Untouchable Performer Technique: an expensive protection for the spell. Only useful for large area Oneiromancies, as you'll just use Person's Heart for the short range ones - and 3 points is expensive for something that is only used as a defense. Possibly worth it in special cases, but really borderline.

* Thousand Tiny Hooks Technique: Social conflict gold. Assuming the mechanics can be driven into making some sort of sense - does the spell require a successful social attack to trigger its effect, and if so, who makes it and when? This is actually a (the) reason to use a 2-dot Oneiromancy if you want to combine it with Mad God Mien. As a 1-dot spell, it costs 3 motes to be always on, versus 3 motes per use - no contest.

* Subversion and Transformation Artifice: Body Melting for animals. Check what the definition of an animal is, especially given Bestial Transformation (if necessary, make sure to keep your Survival below 4).

* Devouring Revelation of the Wyld: horribly expensive (6 points!), it only grants a -1 external penalty and a very low chance of draining virtues. You can get Heart Stealing Kiss and Darkening Grave Shadow, for a more reliable effect, at the same price. Only use this if you absolutely must stack as many penalties as possible on those who oppose you (and put it in a 1-dot Oneiromancy attuned to a member of your retinue, since its effects do not depend on your attributes).

* Heart Stealing Kiss: Yay! A Fair Folk themed Charm! Has some applications for Mind Melting (to ensure the virtues you want people to have little of are depleted), and one massive Special Effect: it's a mote battery with no limit to the amount it can hold, and it can fill up at a remarkable rate. Extra scary when affecting a large area, since lots of scenes happen simultaneously.

* Shiftless Untamed Beauty: of course you want your spell to be addictive. Largely s Special Effect, but one that works well with almost anything. Since it actually does something, it's somewhat like an improved (and same cost) version of Untouchable Performer.

* Adored by All the World and other Background Boosters: Social helper to everyone you like. Adored by all the World specifically has amusing potential for exponential growth when affecting an area, since the new Followers will attract Followers of their own... Extremely costly in all - with very few exceptions, anything over 3 points is one of these or their opposites, and they're not that useful to spread about.

* Abandoned By All Creatures Curse and other Background Sabotage charms: Another useful social tool, these are outrageously expensive for what they do (9 points each), as most of their effects can be done otherwise, cheaper, and better.

* Fall of Night Shadows the Truth: if the text of the Charm is how it actually works, you have a way of inflicting retroactive amnesia in a controlled manner. Fun! Social and Special Effects (mostly) really approve of this, even if it is quite expensive. Given the mechanics, you'll probably want to attune to it.

* Faerie Gold Blessings: Useless. It does exactly the same thing as Unlimited Resplendence, and costs more. Pretend this charm was never written and you'll be much happier.

* Curse of Definition: extremely expensive, but worth it.

* Manacles of Virtue: part Mind Melt, part Special Effect, this charm can be abused in a variety of delightful ways. Raise the virtues you want people to express, enhance your Graces... the potential is impressive.

* Chaotic Soul Sledgehammer: only useful against Fair Folk, or if you expect to get into a slogging match with an Exalt (hint: you'll lose anyway, so don't bother). Excessively specialized Special Effect, the main ways in which it can be used involve breaking the game.

* Waypoint Knife: another Special Effect, except it's cheap and versatile. Of course, we don't know for sure whether it affects objects as well as people, and the text claims that only the spell's owner can escape - which goes against all the fairy tales, so I'd ignore it. Lots of fun and lets you do new things.

* Ordinary Object Conjuration: for drowning a city in french fries and watermelons.

* Behemoth Forging Meditation: Mind and Body melting for the low price of a single Charm! Insanely versatile, if limited to mortals only.

* Prince and Pauper Approach: How You Cause Background Dot Loss For Less Points. For only 3 points, lets you ensure that people will hate each other (or your target), leading to background loss. Why bother with the 9 point effects?

* Unparalleled Terror Technique: Special Effect, a great way to kill Exalts in the long run, as they start losing health rather than recover willpower. It is both Shaping and a poison, though.

* Unitary Being Forge: combine this with Prince and Pauper Approach, and you've got a surefire (and cheap) way to ensure social doom. Works best when activated over a large area.

Show me the Spells!

Summoning the Clique

Sometimes, a Creation-born dares to be momentarily better than one of the Fair Folk. This insult cannot be allowed to endure, and so a suitable spell was woven. It manifests as an extremely desirable and elegant piece of clothing, raising suspicion and tension among all who witness it to unsustainable heights. Once its powers have fully taken effect, the spell's Lorekeeper will dip it in the blood shed, and it will take on a new, even more envy inducing form.

1-dot Oneiromancy:
    Assumption of Dreams and Passion: the spell radiates almost palpable waves of envy, encouraging all who witness it to desire it for themselves and believe no one else deserves it.
    Prince and Pauper Approach: anyone indicating interest in the Clique is obviously untrustworthy and out to get it. As paranoia spreads, assertions of disinterest will be taken as proof of guilt as well.
    Unitary Being Forge: all the other treacherous thieves trying to get the Clique can't help but reveal their foul, base nature when they speak to you. Are you going to let them get away with it?
    Heart Stealing Kiss: the Clique dines richly on the Temperance of those who fall under its sway, making conflict ever more likely as tempers flare.

The Endless Song

A simple, repetitive tune that simply cannot be driven out of your mind, the Song keeps all those it afflicts awake no matter what they try - and, helplessly, it spreads on their manic humming. When the Raksha visit lands where the Song has passed, offering a night's rest for a soul freely given, they find countless eager clients.

5-dot Oneiromancy:
    Assumption of the Living Kingdom: the song spreads over a simply huge area.
    Curse of Definition: all those under the sway of the Song find it impossible to fall asleep, as the notes echo endlessly in their minds. The affliction is propagated to anyone hearing it in turn, and so spreads like wildfire.

Simple. Deadly. Fun. If you're feeling generous, add a few break conditions - grant people one scene of sleep when they successfully pass the song on to three others, allow a full night of rest to those who offer their soul and service to the Fair Folk (or the souls and service of others)...

The Invincible Sword

The Fair Folk are not, at their core, truly creative. Thus, an Entertainer once decided to create the most powerful weapon ever, and instead of something truly potent, simply formed a sword that could only do what other swords did - much better, true, but it was just a sword in the end. The Sword was abandoned by its maker, and made its way through the Wyld nonetheless.

3-dot Oneiromancy
    Assumption of Earth Form: it's a sword. No, really.
    Sovereign Earth Shape: the sword is so perfect its wielder gets a +3 dice bonus to using it.
    World Angering Elemental Mastery *3: the sword is so perfect, its opponents get a penalty of its owner's Essence to their Melee, Martial Arts, and Dodge against the sword's wielder.

Simple. Boring. Dangerous. An Essence 4 owner gets +3 dice (+1 or 2 Parry DV) while its opponents have -4 DV (parry and dodge), and a -4 external penalty to hit, so it's like being 11 dice ahead... all the time, and the benefit goes up with Essence (2 dice gained per Essence, better than Excellencies). If you hand it over to your retinue, you 'only' are 4 or 5 dice ahead (commoner / heroic commoner).

The Curse of Frogs

A Raksha once swore t say only 'frog', no matter what may occur. So annoying was it, it was cast into Creation, where it persisted in its dedication. Finally driven to extinction, it left only a pile of dead frogs and some relieved villagers behind. Until the frogs started spreading despite their most fervent efforts.

3-dot Oneiromancy
    Assumption of the City's Heart: a sizable area of effect.
    Assumption of Bestial Form: it looks like a dead frog.
    Assumption of Cerements and Bone: yes, the frog is dead.
    Mad God Mien: countermagic won't help
    Ordinary Object Conjuration: dead frogs. Lots of them. Everywhere.
    Waypoint Knife: you didn't think you'd be able to get away from them, did you?

An illustration of the consequences of the conditions on Oneiromancies: the Assumptions and Mad God Mein aren't really necessary, but what else is one to do with the surplus points imposed by having a 3-dot Oneiromancy in order to get City's Heart?

The Portable Home

The creator of the Portable Home originated from the most relaxed and complacent of the South Western islands. After being driven from the West and harried into strange and hostile lands, it managed to find a moment of respite. However, the mortals nearby were most irritating, for they did not behave as they should. Accordingly, the Home was made, to ensure that all was as it should be. When the local mortals began to die in droves, the Home was refined so as to take care of the problem.

3-dot Oneiromancy
    Assumption of the City's Heart: covers roughly the surface of a tropical island. In deep northern climes.
    Adored by All the World: everyone behaving in the prescribed manner becomes extremely popular, drawing attention and followers from near and far.
    Behemoth Forging Meditation: those who meet the Home's owner, or others it has afflicted, become dedicated to the goal of dressing, acting, and behaving like islanders in warm weather. Among other features, this makes clothing something of a faux pas. 1 mutation point goes into Air Adaptation (providing protection from the cold), the rest give enough Delusions to keep the spell's owner in luaus, leis, and walrus barbecues.

Adaptation to Adversity and Emotion Weaving Style could work instead, but Behemoth Forging Meditation gives the victims more free (albeit severely deluded) will, and is cheaper to boot.

The Crown of the King of Cats

Cats have no king. This is a well known fact, which has not prevented the Fair Folk from creating said king's regalia. After all, the very fact that it does not exist makes it far more important than if it really did. As it happens, the Crown is meant to be worn before the king settles down to a meal, and thus its purpose is to create said meal.

1-dot Oneiromancy
    Assumption of Bestial Form: a crown that brings cats to mind
    Bestial Transformation: when the crown is put on, everyone but the wearer and any cats nearby is turned into a mouse, picking up Tiny, Lame, and Mute. Add extra mutations for taste.
    Waypoint Knife: the mice are not escaping.
    Subversion and Transformation Artifice: any cats nearby become Huge, Hungry, and get bigger Claws and Fangs.

Actually far less lethal than it could be. Consider turning people into goldfish instead, losing limbs and the ability to breathe air...

Doctor Yvegne's Cureall

A seemingly bottomless box full of medicinal pills, the Cureall is meant to help mortals suffering from excessive dreameating. By eating their dreams, of course. It does have the minor side effect of vigorously constraining most mental illnesses, and provides a temporary palliative to having one's soul consumed, so the Fair Folk who employ the Cureall are often welcomed in Creation's strongholds.

1-dot Oneiromancy
    Assumption of Dreams and Passion: the pills look extremely good for our health
    Manacles of Virtue: as a custom effect, they will raise any virtue, to a maximum of 2.
    Heart Stealing Kiss: as a custom effect, it will drain any virtue over 2.
    Shiftless Untamed Beauty: you always need more pills. Always.

Something of a custom item, this is good for Raksha who want to fit in when staying in one place for a long time. So long as the Raksha's victims keep taking their pills, it's possible to conceal the fact that they are dream eaten through and through. It is also, incidentally, a way to detect Exalts, as the Cureal will try, and fail, to reduce the virtue linked to their Flaw.

Verdict

Outward Facing Oneiromancies can do an incredible amount of things. Note my comments on costs - so long as you are content to use portable effects, and avoid Curse of Definition, you can have all of the spells you employ run by your retinue - massively increasing your ability to change the world (even if you'll want to attune to a few of the spells in order to get silly numeric bonuses).

Next

Well, we've gone over all the customizable artifacts available to the Fair Folk, and seen a bit of what the offer. So my next (and likely final for this topic) post will describe some of the artifacts I've created that push the envelope somewhat. Cool ones that are terrifyingly effective, gleeful abuses of the system, and ways to change the game world and genre with minimal effort... I hope you'll enjoy!

Intermission

Segev
    My one problem with your Oneiromancy work is your claim of how Assumption of hte Person's Heart works. The Charm says it creates something very personal to the intended target, not that it is invisible to everyone else. The example given is a locket that means a lot to the victim.

meschlum
    Page 158: If the Raksha has activated no other Assumptions, she has no manifested existence in Creation apart from the one she taints.

It's true that the form you take is supposed to appeal to your target, but that doesn't change the effect.

I am not opposed to a more reasonable reading of the Charm, and my examples didn't abuse it either, but (as I've said before) the Assumption charms have not been made any clearer by the errata (besides some tinkering with costs). I'd love to have Person's Heart not be a way to automatically go immaterial almost at will, and let it interact with many people at once, or change its appearance based on who it's linked to, or... But by the book, it's crazy good and very pigeon holed.

BrilliantRain
    Reading the descriptions of Land's Heart, City's Heart, etc. implies to me that they effect an area, not a specific number of people. That said, I think specifying the size of the effect in waypoints might be a better way to handle it. Or, if it's supposed to only effect that many people, that should be made clearer and Outward Glamours that only use a basic assumption should only be able to target one or two people at a time. Because, like you say, Assumption of the Land's Heart is currently kinda useless. Avatar by Bodhisattva

Akodo Jin
    What stops my behemoth from having a flame wand as their natural attack?

Act 4.5: Notes
    Notes

I have found where my confusion as to breaking Staff graces was from: breaking an Oath Gossamer will shatter your Staff Grace. So if you need to get rid of an Adjuration, it's another way to do it.

Assumption of Land / City / Living Kingdom all describe an area, very vaguely, and a number of people, very exactly. Hence my using the latter rather than the former to describe the effect. The sample Assumption of Wood item (Pauper's Mask in GWM) works on anyone who sees it, so... Just clarifying where I'm coming from.

Ranged weapons (including flame wands) are perfectly acceptable natural attacks for Behemoths.

The White Wolf Forum Archive, courtesy of The Dark Wizard and Sanctaphrax (see its Patreon)
    Arrghus: There's also the Shepherd of the North Star, busily guiding the one thing in all the heavens that doesn't move.

Comment

Act 5: Toys, toys, wonderful toys
      Toys, toys, wonderful toys

An introduction? Fine. All the following are bits of Grace Magic that I find particularly entertaining. They're not necessarily overpowered (see the Invincible Sword for that, among others), but they are fun - and should help clarify how I think of the ways that Grace magic works.

I've also added a few more complicated setups, relying on multiple artifacts or other things to work.

The Death of Names

Never quite the same twice, the Death is invoked by writing the name of someone its Lorekeeper wishes to see dead, with blood as a hapless mortal watches. Then it takes full form as a weapon of some sort - often a dagger, but other shapes have been seen - and binds itself to the witness. At first, nothing happens. Then the one bearing the Death is filled with a constant, ceaseless urge: to bring about the end of the one named by the Lorekeeper. Should the mortal fail, the Death is not deterred, and binds itself to the one who slew its former carrier.

1-dot Oneiromancy
      Assumption of the Person's Heart: the Death looks like a murder weapon familiar to its carrier.
      Darkening Grave Shadow: the target whose name the Death seeks to end finds it exceedingly diffuclt to avoid the blows of the Death's carrier.
      Behemoth Forging Meditation: the carrier of the Death suffers from a plethora of Delusions, starting with the absolute need to see the Death's target destroyed, and expanding into a suicidal drive if the carrier is kept captive for more than three days, as well as a wish to shed blood weekly in order to appease it.
      Manacles of Virtue: the carrier of the Death is inflamed to manic bravery in his task, attaching no value to survival.

The First True Sutra

The Raksha do not quite understand why mortals are so fascinated with the martial arts, when their essential form is so simple. Still, enough mortals have given themselves to the Wyld seeking enlightenment that one of the Fair Folk decreed that it should be granted. And thus the Sutra was created, to teach, bless, and illuminate all who desired it.

4-dot Oneiromancy
      Assumption of the Living Kingdom: once the Sutra is recited and demonstrated, its fundamental truth resonates throughout a large region.
      Behemoth Forging Meditation: any mortal who recites the Sutra, or performs the motions it describes, is endowed with the power to cast forth bolts of raw Essence (per Dragon's Breath mutation). More powerful Lorekeepers link this talent with a firm belief in the righteousness of the Sutra and the Fair Folk.
      Bestial Transformation: a mortal who has assimilated the Sutra may meditate for a few minutes on the glorious insight of the Chimera. Casting forth a great bolt of Essence, such a student discovers Enlightenment, and is recognized as more than human by all. Now, the student can pursue the most eclectic arts and go beyond mortal limits - but all will be lost if the truth of the Chimera is abandoned. This effect grants Awakened Essence and a few cosmetic mutations fitting the Chimera theme. As it's based on Bestial Transformation, the benefits are lost after a few days - all the more reason to remain within the reach of the spell and to protect it.
      Mad God Mien: Enlightenment does not falter when faced with magic seeking to dismiss it.

This Oneiromancy can turn a city of 100,000 people into Essence users literally overnight. If it is dispelled, they all lose the ability to manipulate Essence, which will make those responsible a lot of enemies. And those who have been changed retain the power of Dragon's Breath with which to express their discontent. By switching the effects around (Behemoth Forging Meditation granting Awakened Essence), one can permanently enlighten vast swathes of Creation - all of the transformed will have a Wyld aspect and thus be vulnerable to Fair Folk social skills, as well as making a terrifying army.

The Doom of Catfish

"I shall be on my guard for bassoon playing catfish in purple turbans, reciting the spell of Summoning a Demon of the Second Circle backwards under the full moon and smite them down when I am aware of them!" This simple promise is quite popular in many of the Freeholds that deal with mortals and Exalts. Not because of the threat of catfish, but because it ensures that those swearing it will be ever ready to destroy them, and them alone.

1-dot Adjuration
      Assumption of the Land's Heart: Anyone swearing to this Adjuration is immediately scattered around a small area, the totality of their will and desires focused on detecting bassoon playing catfish in purple turbans, reciting the spell of Summoning a Demon of the Second Circle backwards under the full moon. As they are aware of nothing else, and do not respond to anything else, i is considered an excellent means of removing overly agitated Fair Folk from the picture.

Of course, a noble under the Adjuration can still shape freely, and will eventually be found tiresome, the Adjuration shifting to a commoner of no import within the Freehold. If an aggravating Exalt is caught by this promise, they can be destroyed at leisure.

This little horror abuses the workings of Assumption of the Land's Heart, specifically its ability to make the one bearing the Assumption incapable of motivation or will. If one can get an opponent to swear to a seemingly safe oath and catch this instead... fun times. The other way to do this is to create a series of unbreakable and useless Adjurations, each compelling one to swear to the next - until all your motes are committed to getting Imposition of Law for fishing catfish, eating snails under water, and other useless activities.

Season One

Sometimes, Creation is simply too boring to satisfy the Fair Folk. So they call upon the powers of the Wyld to add some entertainment to their existence, and it delivers. When this Oneiromancy is invoked, seemingly ordinary people within its reach are bizarrely transmuted and create chaos as they loudly seek to feed of the pure hearts of the mortals nearby.

5-dot Oneiromancy
      Assumption of the Living Kingdom: this spell reaches out to cover an area comparable to the largest of modern day cities and their suburbs.
      Behemoth Forging Meditation: random women are turned into strange beasts, hard to hurt and somewhat Deluded, who then wander about causing mayhem while commanding submission to their dark (and non existent) kingdom.
      Fall of Night Shadows the Truth: somehow, the authorities never acknowledge what is happening, instead reporting gas leaks, mass hallucinations, and the like.

Season Two

Of course, creating chaos without having a suitable hero is counterproductive, so the Fair Folk have provided the means by which mortals may be protected from the very ravages they inflict. This spell weaves its way into the minds and souls of animals and young women, changing them so that they might fight the weekly recurring threats.

5-dot Oneiromancy
      Assumption of Dreams and Passion: the spell looks like a very valuable, very good, very nice item. Typically a brooch or wand, though other forms exist as well. Some say that its true appearance is either a rectangular block or a thin iridescent disk with a hole in the middle.
      Subversion and Transformation Artifice: the spell picks up to five random small animals, and alters them so that they become capable of speech, tougher than the norm, eerily acrobatic, and utterly convinced that their charges are responsible for protecting Creation. Said animals will also protect both Seasons fanatically, explaining them as mystical artifacts essential to overcoming the darkness.
      Behemoth Forging Meditation: each animal seeks out a young woman and induces her, via fine words, interpretive dance, and exposure to Season Two, to heed the call of Good and Justice. These 'Warriors of Light' gain the ability to project beams of colored and destructive essence, a fixation for making weird poses, and various other bits of insanity (as well as Attribute Reallocation towards Appearance and away from Mental).
      Heart Stealing Kiss: each time the transformed women witness one of the monsters from Season One on a rampage, Season Two consumes a bit of their Willpower.
      Ordinary Object Conjuration: when the transformed women begin to pose, the spell alters their clothing into embarrassingly revealing outfits. It also works in reverse, and most witnesses are quite certain that there is a moment during the change when no clothing is present at all.
      Manacles of Virtue: the transformed women find their Compassion is increased to the point where they cannot imagine that a frenzied Erythmanoi bearing down on them can be subdued with kisses and cuddles - and they'll look forward to delivering them!
      Mad God Mien: however much you try, it is not possible to erase the embarrassment caused by knowing this spell exists.

If you prefer a different series, the above pair of spells can be adapted to pretty much any requirement. Cackle.

The Futility of Definition

The Fair Folk have existed for a long time, and some of their workings were made to contend with the Primordials themselves. This particular Oneiromancy is one such, meant to drive the Principle of Hierarchy into a frenzy - a goal at which it was remarkably successful. Now that the Primordial War is over, the Futility finds itself less able to afflict those it once did, and contents itself with the children of Luna - though the madness it causes among mortals is the reason the Fair Folk have kept it so long.

5-dot Oneiromancy
      Assumption of the Living Kingdom: because all the big Oneiromancies use it
      Bestial Transformation *3: When activated, one quarter of all Creation-born in reach of the spell are turned into clams. One quarter become eagles, and the last quarter are transmuted into Tyrant Lizards. Four days afterward, all Creation-born still in the spell's effect are randomly transmuted once more, with the same proportions. Whatever shape is given to a Creation-born, they all suffer the same change: none. To be precise, they lose the ability to communicate with other animals of their species (Mute mutation), and become utterly convinced that any animal they see only creates the sounds appropriate for that animal (Delusion mutation).
      Mad God Mien: the Futility has been around for a long time, and isn't that easy to eradicate.

When the spell goes off, nothing really changes. However, for anyone with less than 4 dots in Survival, it looks like three quarters of the population have been warped into strange animals. "It has two legs, walks upright, breathes only air, and has tool using hands. Obviously, it's a clam!". "It can't fly, has fingers, no feathers, and does not lay eggs. All the indications of an eagle!" "It's five feet tall, has arms, and eats vegetables. Man, Tyrant Lizards are easy to recognize."

Be honest: how many of your characters had more than the strict minimum dots in Survival? Besides Lunars? So the effect of the spell is that everyone but the Lunars is going to see a place overrun with clams, eagles, and tyrant lizard, while Luna's poor chosen are (sometimes) going to be aware of the fact that it's all unaltered human beings.

And you wonder why the elder Lunars gave up on humanity and the other Exalts.

Infinite Gossamer Tricks

Not an actual artifact, just a range of ways whereby one can gain unlimited gossamer - without consuming mortals.

Basic form

Ingredients: 1 commoner (Worker optional), 1-dot Adjuration: "I shall please my master with gifts of gossamer", granting Worker's Gift, 1 gossamer.

Recipe:
      * Give your commoner 1 gossamer.
      * Attune to your commoner's Heart
      * Have the commoner change its Motivation to "Make my master happy by giving him gossamer"
      * Have the commoner attune to Adjuration
      * Accept the gossamer back
      * Your commoner has completed its Motivation, it regains willpower and 2 gossamer
      * Accept the extra gossamer
      * Repeat
      * Dodge flying GWM

Results: this creates a fair amount of gossamer (at least 2 per scene, possibly more depending on whether the GM rules that Motivation can be satisfied more than once per scene). On the con side, it mens having o put up with a minion who is constantly giving you gossamer.

Intermediate form

Ingredients: 2 commoners, 1-dot Adjuration: "I shall please my Master by giving my fellow servant or my Master gossamer" granting Worker's Gift, 1 gossamer.

Recipe:
      * See the Basic form, and have both commoners swear to the Adjuration.
      * Dodge entire Exalted library

Results: this creates gossamer at a much faster pace (4 per scene or more), and has the benefit of happening off screen while your minions play together. You do need to visit them in order to claim the bounty, but that's not much of an issue.

Advanced Form

My favorite, it involves outrageous artifact (ab)use, insane charm applications, and not one instance of Worker's Gift.

The Really Big Sledgehammer

A massive and terrifying club, this weapon inflicts little physical damage but mere contact suffices o knock the courage out of its target.

1-dot Oneiromancy
      Assumption of Dreams and Passion: the Sledgehammer is really scary.
      Chaotic Soul Sledgehammer: being hit by this thing will knock out all the victim's Valor channels. As this is an Oneiromancy, it works in 'real' time rather than shaping time - i.e. the effect fades after one scene (though channels remain expended).

The Ring of Mad Wonder

A ring that assists those who swear to it and follow its demands - specifically, it will guide lost Fair Folk out of madness and into their normal selves, collecting trails of gossamer on the way.

1-dot Adjuration
      Spectacular Insanity: entering Bedlam allows the one sworn to the Ring to recover willpower and gossamer.
      Bedlam Masterworks: upon leaving Bedlam, those sworn to the Ring gain still more gossamer.

* Collect eight commoners (Workers are good, Warriors bad, ideally with Valor 1)
      * Get eight gossamer (somewhat expensive, but worth it)
      * Set up an Eight Corner Ring Binding: the Warriors are all trying to out fight and out trick each other
      * Instruct your commoners to take on suitable forms. I'm fond of the following:
      - Cat
      - Budgie
      - Coyote
      - Roadrunner
      - Dog
      - Rabbit
      - Hunter
      - Duck
      * Make your commoners swear upon the Ring.
      * Make four copies of the Sledgehammer available for the commoner's games.
      * The first time someone is bonked with the Sledgehammer, they enter Bedlam and recover 1 willpower. They also produce 1 gossamer.
      * Give the victim the Sledgehammer!
      * The Bedlam victim must spend 1 Willpower to attack. This is equal to their Valor, so they emerge from Bedlam, and create Int + Craft (Glamour) gossamer.
      * Once the victim has been threatened back into sanity, they go chase the next person on the list.
      * T-t-t-that's all folks!

Results: each scene in which the commoners chase one another gets you 8 gossamer (one per commoner). Each time a commoner is knocked into Bedlam (and this can happen many times per scene), you get 1 gossamer. Each time a commoner emerges from Bedlam (again, many times per scene) you get Int + Craft (glamour) more gossamer.

If you're using Warriors (or commoners with more than 1 Valor), they need to be driven to attack more often, so the melee becomes more chaotic and probably less profitable: more gossamer each time a Sledgehammer hits, but more time spent nerving yourself up to attack.

Intermission
      Obsidian
      meschlum wrote:
      The First True Sutra
      *EDITOR'S SNIP*
      Sledgehammer hits, but more time spent nerving yourself up to attack.
      Can Behemoth Forging Meditation do that? The charm reads.

"This Charm may be incorporated
      into an outward-facing glamour, launching a staff-shaping attack
      (even in Creation) at any mortal who takes a certain predefined
      action within the spell’s range of effect once per scene."

Does that mean it can only roll once per scene or that it can only roll against an individual mortal once per scene?

meschlum
      It's a feature!

Consider Heart Stealing Kiss, which has the critical bit of text: "range of effect, up to once per scene". Which indicates that HSK makes attempts on everyone it can, but once per scene each at most.

BFM lacks that critical ", up to", which makes it less clear - but I'd be tempted to rule that the language should be the same.

If you disagree, it still works:

By the charm, Behemoth Forging Meditation is triggered once per scene.

By Assumption of the Living Kingdom (which inherits from Land's Heart), it can affect everyone in its area simultaneously.

Combine the two, and each scene where someone recites the Sutra or makes the appropriate gestures, all those who do it get hit by Behemoth Forging Meditation. Even if those scenes happen at the same time, or in different places.

Obsidian
      Awesome. I never realized Behemoth Forging Meditation was so powerful. If I ever get a game running I'm going to have to make an oneiromancy that subtly mutates the people of a region into my subjects. I could steal an entiure Dragon Blooded satrap from right under their noses with a spell like that.

Segev
      Just wanted to comment that the intermediate version of the infinite gossamer has me picturing a Shah walking down the road with two lovely girls gaily tossing petals at his feet so he need never step on Creation's cold ground. Following behind is a hard-working lad who meticulously sweeps up the petals and collects them.

Worker's Gift: Scatter gossamer petals at my master's feet, that he may never have to walk upon the ground.

Worker's Gift: Gather the gossamer petals for my master and his servants, that they may always have it to cast to the ground.

A fairly simple Translucent Dream-Sheathing Technology can make the gossamer take that physical form with no cost or fuss once put in place. Or a Fantasy, if you're in the Wyld. The amount of gossamer is still only 2 per commoner involved per scene (6 per scene, here), but the amount of gossamer needn't be directly related to the volume of petals.

Akodo Jin

Wait wait wait... Really?! So this is possible?

From Prayer to Scale (Desire Circle •••)
      • Glamour (4): Assumption of the City's Heart
      • Glamour (3): Shiftless Untamed Beauty
      • Glamour (3): Waypoint Knife*/**
      • Glamour (3): Behemoth-Forging Meditation: When One prays to the Dragons for Aid.***

* What happens with this? I can lock people out of the city's gate keeping them in or out as I please?
      ** Does this mean... I could make the full city disappear o.O.. I am the City ya know.
      *** Is this a good limit?

Segev
      Akodo Jin wrote:
      *EDITOR'S SNIP*
      I'm not quite sure what you're going for, here, but...

Waypoing Knife locks the place off. Unless you're using an outward-facing Oneiromancy, it keeps everybody from entering and exiting. With an outward-facing Oneiromancy, its owner may enter and exit, but nobody else can. Even if he wants them to.

The condition on Behemoth-Forging Meditation is fine for an Oneiromancy, or for your own trigger to activate it.

meschlum
      Waypoint Knife is exclusively used in Outward Facing Oneiromancy, so the effect of the spell is to keep everyone outside from coming in, and reciprocally. You (the owner of the spell) can pass through freely, but no one else.

Upon rereading the Charm, it's probably still possible to throw things inside the circle - people just can't find the entrances / exits, so the affected city does not vanish per se. Of course, narrative trumps effect when dealing with the Fair Folk, and you can toss a Principle of Worlds effect that disguises the city and warps space around it if you want.

Again for narrative reasons (Fair Folk leading others into their circles, which normally cannot be found), I'd allow the spell to permit specific types of egress / ingress. Maybe you need to pray to the Fair Folk for a week before offering your son to the Raksha, and then get a scene's period of grace allowing you to go in or out as you please?

As an alternative that is fully by the book, the owner of the spell can change as well - so you could forge Graces for the Creation-born who desperately want to get in (or out), transfer ownership of the spell to them for the time it takes to enter / escape, then claim it back. Of course, there is the risk that they'd choose to keep it...

And mutating people who dare to pray for help is quite entertaining and fully allowed.

Akodo Jin
      Very nice.. Now just need maybe a one dot, that gets them to fear me initially and from fear and despair they pray pure prayers of salvation.. only to turn into Fae Beasts liken to dragons. Wings, scales, ect. Once Fae Beast their natural attacks could be a bite. As they were mortals they still have possibly 5 graces for me to shape, a mote pool to awaken and able to have 30motes commited to aid me. Is this incorrect?

Growing from that idea..
      Q1: A Mortals who holds 10+ mutation points, turn into a FaeBeast •, is there a limit they can have or is it unlimited?
      Q2: Is there a way to increase these ex-mortals to becoming Daikaiji? There is writen to have Graces which are 3 dots or higher, but not a method from raising 2 to 3, only 3+.

meschlum
      A few limits / flaws / notes on the concept:

- The mutations granted by Behemoth Forging Meditation are fixed, so once they've prayed and been changed, they remain that way. If you want to turn them into fae beasts, you need an Essence of at least 5 (well, 3 with Heart Stopping Numinous Power). If your Essence is less, they're just very mutated humans which the Oneiromancy cannot change any more - so use an additional Oneiromancy, with more adaptations, or take two iterations of BFM - the first gives a few dragon-like traits, the second completes the metamorphosis.

Heavily mutated mortals can be used like fae beasts in shaping conflict, but remain themselves otherwise. So they can be given Graces and commit motes for you once you own them. However, being mortals, they are probably not able to learn Fair Folk charms (unless you apply Gaping Virtue Mouth to them, in which case they come a lot closer to qualifying as fae).

Q1: BFM only works on mortals. Once they've hit the 10+ mutation point level, they're not ordinary mortals anymore, and probably can't be affected. So use your first BFM to give them 9 points of mutations, then give them a huge pile of mutations in one go. More to the point, people with Awakened Essence are not mortals, so you can't mutate them once their Essence is awakened.

- You can still give them mutations via Bestial Transformation (Dragon) outward facing charms, of course. These only last Essence days, though. But the legend of a flock of dragons that need to return to their lair in order to regain their power is nice and traditional.

Q2: By the book, no. The 'easy' hack is to allow the Unshaped to provide materials for upgrading any tier of artifact, rather than just 3+. Note, however, that you're dealing with a mortal (of sorts), rather than a Sword Grace imbued with power, so filling it with Wyld energy may not be conductive to its survival.

A more satisfying story with which to perform the upgrade is to have the (part) mortal gain personal power and become a more and more potent figure in the battlefields of the Wyld. Of course, you're running a fine line between gaining a more powerful weapon and simply forging a Warrior Fair Folk... Mechanically, I'd look at doing this via some form of Endowment, though the Fair Folk lack the charms to do so.

BrilliantRain
      IIrc, only Faeblooded and Eclipses can learn Fae charms. Well, and Lunars with the right knacks.

I also think that Behemoth Forging Meditation could use clarification as to how the resulting Mutant works mechanically, whether or not they retain free will, how exactly they're different from a sword grace, etc.

Akodo Jin
      Fae-blooded, Eclipses, and Lunars can use Fae Charms. Lunars with the right knacks learn Fae charms cheaper then Eclipses can.

meschlum
      And Sidereals can learn Shaping Stances, post errata.

I quite concur that errata about how the existing charms work and interact would be nice, for all that we got new toys instead.

Finale: Just when you thought it was over...
      Just when you thought it was over...

I've recently refined a beautifully evil and broken bit of Grace magic, which I'm arbitrarily setting as a 5 dot Oneiromancy rather than multiple one dot spells - because this tier of insanity should not be available that cheaply, no matter what the rules say.

Mocking the Ishvara

Traveling deep at the core of Creation, a Raksha noble met a talented trickster. "I have found a hidden spell that makes all things fructify," the trickster proclaimed to one and all, "so give me treasures and I shall return to you half their value each month for a year." The people and the Raksha marveled at this wonder, when the trickster spoke once more. "And if you truly seek unlimited delights, know that each month in which you allow me to keep your treasures untouched and make them fructify, they shall double in value. Imagine what could be done after a year..." Sadly, the trickster was unable to make good on his promise to deliver half a soul, so the Raksha ate him. Still, the Wyld allows all things, and the trickster's tale became a spell of infinitely expanding power.

5-dot Outward Facing Oneiromancy (because doing it as three 1-dot spells is bad for the story, and N/A isn't supposed to be possible)
      Assumption of the Person's Heart: the spell pours itself into its owner, drawing power from all that is without to strengthen all that is within.
      Mad God Mien: a simple defense against efforts that might be made to disrupt its workings.
      Manacles of Virtue: When the owner meditates upon Compassion, the spell reforges its Cup into a greater vessel.
      Manacles of Virtue: When the owner meditates upon Conviction, the spell reforges its Staff into a greater tool.
      Manacles of Virtue: When the owner meditates upon Temperance, the spell reforges its Ring into a greater eternity.
      Manacles of Virtue: When the owner meditates upon Valor, the spell reforges its Sword into a a greater weapon.
      Manacles of Virtue: When the owner meditates upon Willpower, the spell reforges its Heart into a greater being.

By the book: roll Manipulation + Medicine, and gain that many dots in the Grace you are meditating on. This is limited by your Grace. This includes the Heart Grace. So a beginning noble Raksha with the spell (or Unsightly Rigor Approach, a Tier 1 Charm available to any Raksha) can bump its Heart to 6. Ishvara? What Ishvara? Ignoring that aspect, you can still effectively double all your Graces - as a starting point.

Mockery: When the Charm is activated, it gives you temporary dots in the relevant Grace. So your Staff of 3 now grows to 6 (including 3 temporary). What if you meditate on Conviction again? You can gain at most 6 dots of Staff - bringing you to 9, since the Charm is not stackable. Now that your staff is 9, you can gain 9 dots...

Of course, you are limited by your Manipulation + Medicine roll, but Surpassing Excellence (in an Adjuration if you want to keep being Unshaped an option) gives you two extra dice, and Fair Folk have Gossamer Combos. By spending 1 gossamer, you can combine Charms in a Combo - in this case, you're using a Second Cup Excellency, which gives you Cup / 2 bonus successes.

So by the time the rolls are starting to get difficult, you're looking at +10 or more to all your Graces. Including Heart. Take that, Balor!

As a side note, doing this as three 1-dot Oneiromancies also lets you meditate on Perception, enhancing your Way Grace, if any.

Numbers

You'll want a high Cup to use this. Say 4. Might as well have Medicine and Manipulation as high as they can get, but no other bonuses to balance it out.

14 dice, target of 4 successes: fairly easy to do without spending motes, raises Cup to 8 (4 temp).
      14 dice, target of 8 successes: harder, but you can spend 8 motes and 1 gossamer to get 4 extra successes. So it works - besides, you only need 5 successes to raise your Cup over 8... and 1 success on 14 dice is pretty much automatic.
      14 dice, target of 12 successes: very difficult, but you have 6 successes from 12 motes + 1 gossamer. Challenging but feasible. Again, you just need 9+ successes to raise your Cup over 12, so anything more than 3 successes on 14 dice is gravy.

You'll probably stop around Cup 20 or so, as mote costs become troubling. This lets you but ~10 successes on increasing all your other Graces, so they are going up to 11 at least, and probably more - again 20 is a reasonable limit, but it may take longer (Cup 4 lets you add 4 to you total per meditation, but Staff 1 wold limit you to adding 1 per meditation).

Enjoy.

Incidentally, this was much weaker pre-errata, where the Charm text specifically limited the increase to the target's Essence. I like the post errata version more (not because of this!) because it means that mortals (Essence 1) are as vulnerable to its effects as Exalts (Essence 2+), rather than having mortals nigh-immune.

Post-Performance

Segev
      While not a bad one in any event - if you don't mind spending all those resources every scene, since the effect only lasts that long - it actually is capped according to your basic die cap. Unsightly Rigor Approach explicitly states the additions to Virtues and Graces count as dice added through Charms. Which means that they count against the die cap, rather than actually increasing the cap, themselves.

Being able to raise one's Heart is an interesting observation, however... what happens if you get somebody to use Gaping Virtue Maw on you while your Heart is temporarily high enough?

Akodo Jin
      A few behemoth questions...

Q1: If the handler has the Large mutation, which now gives him Str 8, then has Hero Form to increase that to Str 9, is the base Behemoth Strength now 9 or is it 7?

Q2: If a Behemoth gains the claws mutation, does he gain a additional natural attack for them?

Q3: Are Behemoths alive? If they are, can they be given Graces like any other living being?

Q4: Can Behemoths be used to hold and use Oneiromancy spells?

Q5: Can a Grace be implanted into a Behemoth through Primordial Spirit?

Segev
      Akodo Jin wrote:
      Q1: If the handler has the Large mutation, which now gives him Str 8, then has Hero Form to increase that to Str 9, is the base Behemoth Strength now 9 or is it 7?
      A1: By the RAW, Behemoth stats reference the final stats of the Handler. So 9.
      Q2: If a Behemoth gains the claws mutation, does he gain a additional natural attack for them?
      A2: Again, by strict RAW, the Claws mutation would modify his existing artifact-equivalent natural weapon. Given the intended flexibility of the creatures, however, I doubt anybody would fault a Behemoth with an artifact-equivalent bite, say, and Claws-level claws.
      Q3: Are Behemoths alive? If they are, can they be given Graces like any other living being?
      A3: How do you define "alive" in Exalted? Ultimately, Behemoths are as "alive" as wee folk. They are Wyld fauna, not Wyld flora. They can be given Graces. Presumably, the rating of their Graces would "translate" just like all their other stats do from their Handlers.
      A4: In what sense? If they have the right Grace and an Essence pool (they need a Mutation that grants it), then yes...they can. By the RAW.
      A5: No. It can only be implanted into a Commoner Raksha. (Incidentally, while it says it makes the Raksha Heroic, it does not say Heroic Commoners cannot have them implanted. You could implant several into one if you wanted to.) To make the Behemoth able to have it implanted, you'd have to forge it a Heart, at which point it becomes a Raksha instead of a Behemoth.

Akodo Jin
      I would like to know this then..

Q6: What happens if your Grace becomes its own being, in this case, the Sword grace becoming a Commoner o.O..?

meschlum
      If the dice cap holds (and I'm not deep enough in Exalted mechanics to be sure about this), the the resource cost is fairly negligible - 5 successes on 14 dice isn't that hard to pull off.

Page 69 of the Errata: (Raksha may not add) more dice to Shaping Actions than the relevant Grace.

If my Grace is artificially boosted to 6, why can't I add 6 dice to shaping actions? If my Cup was 3 before, has been boosted to 6 by some method, I can still add 6 die to shaping actions, correct? And if those happen to be added to my Cup, I have a base of 3, +6 dice. Not 6+6 dice, of course. It's likely against the intent of the charm, granted - but unlike Lunar Excellencies, it directly adds to the Grace, rather than give bonus dice for rolls. Had the text been 'This charm adds up to successes dice to all actions involving the enhanced Virtue or Grace, which count as dice added by a charm', then it would be fine. As is, it's debatable and more work for errata. Or maybe I'm just too invested in the interpretation.

It was mostly the increasing Heart part I wanted to raise, though - since it makes Ishvara minor players...

And even the other options are fun. Start with a Grace of 3, raise it to 6 (no dice cap issues occur), can you pick up Charms that require a Grace of 4+?

Segev
      meschlum wrote:
      If my Grace is artificially boosted to 6, why can't I add 6 dice to shaping actions? If my Cup was 3 before, has been boosted to 6 by some method, I can still add 6 die to shaping actions, correct?

Well, can you activate Strength Increasing Exercise again and again, with the new total to which your last use upped your stats becoming the new cap for the next activation? I don't think so.

Various Artifacts that add to your stats and note that they count against the die cap don't let you say "sure, but my stat is now higher, so the die cap is higher, too."

So unfortunately, the cap is in place. That said, it's STILL very nice: double your Graces for a scene!
      meschlum wrote:
      And even the other options are fun. Start with a Grace of 3, raise it to 6 (no dice cap issues occur), can you pick up Charms that require a Grace of 4+?

This one's a "no," unfortunately, simply because a scene is not as long as the tale it would take to learn the higher-cap Charms.

meschlum
      Akodo Jin wrote:
      A1: Also yes. Note that if the Behemoth has Large too, the bonuses stack.
      A2: Up to you.
      A3: Yes and no.

When not attuned to a handler, a Fair Folk behemoth is basically inert - it may ravage the countryside and devour everything in its path, but no one (i.e. Fair Folk) cares.

When attuned to a handler, a behemoth has health levels, intelligence, can bleed, be poisoned, and so forth. It is still an augmented Sword Grace (or Unshaped manifestation of the Sword), so if 'killed' it is a broken artifact and can be repaired.

Behemoths cannot be given Graces. They are graces, and have no independent pre-sentience on which to graft a Heart Grace. Other Graces require a consenting target, and behemoths are not capable of consenting.
      A4: They lack Graces of their own, so they cannot commit motes to Adjurations, Behemoths, or Oneiromancies. Inward-facing Oneiromancies only affect the one who possesses and holds the spell, so if your behemoth is wearing an Oneiromantic cloak, it will get the benefits. Outward-facing works too, of course.
      A5: Not a commoner (or heroic commoner), so no.

Segev
      meschlum wrote:
      Behemoths cannot be given Graces. They are graces, and have no independent pre-sentience on which to graft a Heart Grace.
      Technically, wee folk lack independent pre-sentience, as well. That's the whole point of crafting the Heart for them. Behemoths can have Graces forged as easily as anything else that mimics sentience.

meschlum
      Segev wrote:
      [INDENT=2]meschlum wrote:[/INDENT][INDENT=2]And even the other options are fun. Start with a Grace of 3, raise it to 6 (no dice cap issues occur), can you pick up Charms that require a Grace of 4+?[/INDENT]

This one's a "no," unfortunately, simply because a scene is not as long as the tale it would take to learn the higher-cap Charms.

Ahem.

The 5-dot version lasts for a century. Surely a tale or two will pass in that time? And you can change the Oneiromancy's triggers so it requires no effort on your part, ensuring that your Graces are boosted every scene.

Also, Soul-Digestion Catalysis.

meschlum
      Segev wrote:
      Technically, wee folk lack independent pre-sentience, as well. That's the whole point of crafting the Heart for them. Behemoths can have Graces forged as easily as anything else that mimics sentience.

So I heard your Heart Grace had a Heart Grace for its Heart Grace?

By the text, a Heart Grace can only be forged for a minion of the Raksha. A behemoth is not a minion, as it is a possession instead.

Segev
      meschlum wrote:
      The 5-dot version lasts for a century. Surely a tale or two will pass in that time? And you can change the Oneiromancy's triggers so it requires no effort on your part, ensuring that your Graces are boosted every scene.

Also, Soul-Digestion Catalysis.

Hm. Does the enhancement effect last the whole time the spell is active? I thought outward-facing spells cast the Charm for you as often as the conditions were met, but didn't extend the duration. i.e., you'd have to keep coming back every scene to meditate again to keep the benefit up constantly.

meschlum
      Easy answer, which I missed before: post-errata, Unsightly Rigor Approach has a duration of 1 tale.

Also, you can have the condition be something automatic ('practicing high Grace charms', 'Saying "Ni!"', etc.), and not need to meditate.

Segev
      True. And since it's outward-facing, it can't really be "worn" and still affect you. You'd have to have it prominently displayed - at least, if you wanted to be interesting, and isn't that the point? ^_~

"As long as my tale flies above me, I am as the Ishvara!" proclaims one Noble whose Heart is 6 as long as the banner of his deeds flies overhead.

Comment

Holy effin crap. I need to revise my opinion of Raksha... They truly are the Fair Folk. Scary!

Also, I finally see the point of getting the Lunar Charms that allow you to no-sell Fair Folk and send them running for the rest of the story. Joink!

Aretii: "As one of the players described it, 'After initiation, it was actually a relief seeing who had eyepatches or bandaged hands - you know what they sacrificed, instead of wondering what bits people cut out of their own souls to gain power.'"

Comment

dont forget Lunars and Eclipses can have graces by default

ps. meschlum is still active over at giantitp

Comment

Oh, trust me, I most certainly did not forget that.

Also; grace-forging charms, plus followers, plus the charms for turning graces into behemoths, oneiromantic spells, and oaths... Heh.

Aretii: "As one of the players described it, 'After initiation, it was actually a relief seeing who had eyepatches or bandaged hands - you know what they sacrificed, instead of wondering what bits people cut out of their own souls to gain power.'"

Comment

Originally posted by emeraldstreak View Post
              dont forget Lunars and Eclipses can have graces by default

ps. meschlum is still active over at giantitp
              Actually, I think any the Scroll of Errata shows any Exalt can start with Graces; They cost 1 bp for a Grace, and are raised like a Commoner's unfavored.

On a separate note, I wish he had a chance to do an overview of Chancels(Way Artifacts), as simple as they are compared to other Grace Artifacts.

Comment

I've actually been working quite hard lately to review and understand the Fair Folk book. Working on Grace Magic now, and this is a huge help. I still have a bunch of stuff I want to review, but this is very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by ZealousChristian24 View Post

Actually, I think any the Scroll of Errata shows any Exalt can start with Graces; They cost 1 bp for a Grace, and are raised like a Commoner's unfavored.

On a separate note, I wish he had a chance to do an overview of Chancels(Way Artifacts), as simple as they are compared to other Grace Artifacts.

The splatbook itself encourages optionally giving it to everyone, including mortals for whom that's a huge step up in power provided they have the XP amounts required.

Chancels are very interesting, but I'm not sure if they can be described as "simple", as they are Middlemarches areas with waypoints and everything.

Comment

Originally posted by emeraldstreak View Post

The splatbook itself encourages optionally giving it to everyone, including mortals for whom that's a huge step up in power provided they have the XP amounts required.

Chancels are very interesting, but I'm not sure if they can be described as "simple", as they are Middlemarches areas with waypoints and everything.
                    When I said simple, I meant they lack the sort of "moving parts"(that is, inbuilt charms/mutations) that Behemoths, Adjurations, and oneiromancys have.

Comment

This is madness

...though I do like the idea of a city where the players meet a bewildered Lunar who can't understand why everyone thinks they're clams, eagles and tyrant lizards...

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

Ok - regarding the "The Futility of Definition" oneiromancy spell:

Aside from shits and giggles, how would a fair folk noble benefit from this? Like, what would the advantage be?

Malfeas F'Tagn - go check out my epic MLP/Exalted crossover "The Scroll of Exalted ponies" @ Fimfiction

Comment

It is a terrible weapon that drives all who witness it to madness. A fair folk noble benefits from it by threatening to deploy it on those groups that oppose their schemes. A kingdom that has been subjected to it is going to find itself very eager to avoid a second encounter, with both good and bad consequences depending on how reasonable the Raksha's demands are.

Comment

"As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL oneiromancy spell!"

Comment

Working...
                            X