Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyeudo
    replied
    I've got a treat for anyone who has been following this project. This is the current layout of Memorial Charms. I used UMLet, a free UML diagramming tool, to make it. If you don't want to download the tool, rename the file to .xml and you can read all the Charm descriptions, though you won't see the prerequisites layout or which Ability each Charm is associated with. The diagram is not completely finished yet - you'll notice that some Abilities have only a single Charm to their name so far. Further, the layout is using 2nd edition design principles, on the assumption that the 3rd edition engine will have some equivalent for anything in 2nd edition. The actual 3rd edition Charm set will probably be more numerous, will additional places to anchor Charms in the rule set.

With those disclaimers out of the way, let me know what you think. Are there any Charm names you hate? Charms that seem too early in a tree or sound too strong for an almost-Terrestrial? Any that you'd like more explanation about?

Leave a comment:

• Dragonmystic
    replied
    Originally posted by WarDragon View Post

Is this possible? Can a former Memorial attain another Exaltation of a different kind?
    It's such an incredibly rare possibility (retirement is rare in itself, compound that with the rare chance of exalting...) that I see no reason to speak one way or the other on it. GM's fiat on if it can happen or not.

Keep in mind that we intend Retired Memorials to be on the level of Heroic Mortals, Godbloods, or half-castes (depending on 3e, of course.) They should be able to keep everything an enlightened mortal could reasonably learn, like Terrestrial Martial arts and basic sorcery, in addition to maybe a few low-level charms.

Also keep in mind that I've always intended Memorials to be very "fuzzy" around borders of definition, since they live in the borders between life and death; spiritual and physical exaltation. So, even though they have given up the physical catalyst, are they still considered Memorial Exalts, or are they not?

Leave a comment:

• Kyeudo
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr.Jaxus View Post
    I'm not sure about the idea of losing their exaltation really would fit in, but the idea of a retired exalt sound kind of fun, espically the tutoring a younger exalt.
    That's why I'm most worried about it. The game has so far been written with the idea that Exalts are Exalts for life and only death can take it from you, but the idea of passing the mantle along, like a new person taking up the Mask of Zorro or the Green Lantern's Ring, seems so fitting for an Exalt heavily tied to tradition.

This has implications, though. While supernatural compulsion won't work to force a Memorial to give up being a Memorial, there isn't anything stopping the Guild or someone else from kidnapping a Memorial's family and using them to blackmail the Memorial into giving up his powers. I'm sure there's more I haven't thought of yet.

Is this possible? Can a former Memorial attain another Exaltation of a different kind?
    I have no plans to define it one way or the other. Choose whichever is most interesting for your game.

Leave a comment:

• PlotVitalNPC
    replied

All the entry says is that Memorial Catalysts won't respond to someone who was once a Memorial. Nobody gets two centuries as a memorial, in other words.
    I'm going to presume that means anything else is on the table, as a statement to the contrary would kill an incredible amount of story potential for no good reason.

Leave a comment:

• WarDragon
    replied
    Now you're giving me ideas for a character of strong Dragonblooded heritage who had their exaltation as a Terrestrial delayed 100 years by exalting as a Memorial. Depowered and alone, they finally receive the exaltation of the dragons long after the next generation of their family has grown old.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Jaxus
    replied
    I'm not sure about the idea of losing their exaltation really would fit in, but the idea of a retired exalt sound kind of fun, espically the tutoring a younger exalt.

Leave a comment:

• PlotVitalNPC
    replied
    Now you're giving me ideas for a character of strong Dragonblooded heritage who had their exaltation as a Terrestrial delayed 100 years by exalting as a Memorial. Depowered and alone, they finally receive the exaltation of the dragons long after the next generation of their family has grown old.

Other similar stories involve dark pacts of any sort in an attempt to acquire strength to replace that which is forever more nothing but a memory.
    Last edited by PlotVitalNPC; 01-04-2014, 05:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kyeudo
    replied
    Time, I think, to share the most controversial part of our upcoming splat. This is a piece that felt important to their story but that I have some reservations about its possible implications. I'd like to know what people think on it.

PASSING ON
    Though the Exaltation slows the process of aging and extends their lives, Memorials do not live forever. Once they lived a thousand years before passing on, but the disastrous attempt to resurrect Mnemosyne has left them with only a tenth the life span they once claimed. Though the exact length of time varies from Exalt to Exalt, after roughly a century among the ranks of the Chosen the bond with the Catalyst fades away. This is not to say they die. The power of the Chosen simply leaves them and they begin aging at the same rate as other mortals. Many former Memorials use what time remains to them to mentor their successors.

Memorials can choose to end their time as one of the Exalted. By simply willing it to be so, a Memorial's bond with the Catalyst dissolves and he becomes mortal once more. Such a choice is never taken lightly, because a Catalyst will not accept a former Memorial. The choice also cannot be magically forced - Any supernatural coercion renders the attempt null and void. Older Caretakers often groom a replacement for themselves, passing their Exaltation on when they feel the time is right or they desire to retire.

BROKEN SUCCESSION
    The ideal way for a Memorial Exaltation to pass from one host to another – that of a Memorial passing his Catalyst on to a chosen successor – is not always possible. Sometimes a Caretaker dies alone or among people who do not recognize his Catalyst for what it is, other times the Catalyst is stolen or lost. When this happens, other arrangements assure the Catalyst's return to active service . . . eventually.

The first of these arrangements is a task laid on the gods by Mnemosyne before the Primordial War. Any god who discovered an unclaimed Catalyst within his domain was to turn the Catalyst over to the nearest living Memorial so that a new candidate could be found. Though the policy still stands in the laws of Heaven, it has been a long time since its penalties were effectively enforced by the Celestial Bureaucracy. Some gods ignore it entirely, others simply eject the Catalyst from their domain.

The more common means by which an Exaltation returns to service is built into the Catalyst itself. When unclaimed, it makes itself unforgettable by mortals. Those that live or pass nearby its resting place find they can remember the story of how the Catalyst was lost, regardless of whether they had actually heard it before. While the details of the story can be fuzzy or distorted, the Catalyst is always remembered as something of great worth and importance. The longer it remains unclaimed, the farther this effect spreads, until eventually people begin to search for the lost treasure. Eventually, a mortal finds and claims the Catalyst and a new Memorial is born. Many Catalysts still wait for such a day, entombed with their former masters, gathering dust in an ancient ruin, or lost in far wilderness.

RETIREMENT
    Former Memorials are an unusual lot. They are no longer Exalted, but they aren't really mortal anymore. The power they once held has changed them and, while they are not as powerful as they once were, they never quite lose all of the gifts Exaltation bestowed upon them. Retired Caretakers are much like the Half-Caste children of other Exalts – the powers that remain to them mimicking that which they once had, but lacking in might and breadth.

Those whose time as a Memorial ran out often do not have many years of life remaining to them, but this does not stop them from pursuing their own goals with the powers left to them. Some mentor their successor, even attempting to achieve their goals vicariously through the young Memorial. Others hand their Catalyst on and part ways, preferring to devote their remaining time to their own cause.

Leave a comment:

• Dragonmystic
    replied
    Actually, something comes to my head when I read their history, is Mnemosyne got anything to do with the Goddess of the Cyan Fountain associated with the Wadi Everlasting in the Manual of Exalted Power: Nocturnals? They do sound very similar to my ears.
    They certainly share some of the same flavors of each other, and I will admit that some of the ideas I've had come from her, but to be fair, that's only the thing like "washing souls" of their memories.

In other words, you can think of them as the same goddess by different names, but it was never intended to be that way. RO had this as one of his ideas for two Exalts hinted at (Points if you can find out what the other one was... :3 ) that never quite got off the ground.

In actuality, the idea for Mnemosyne started out nothing like this at all. My original idea had almost nothing to do with reincarnation or rebirth at all. Kyeudo came to me and said very simply: "If a Maiden is dead, shouldn't her perview be broken? What is more an example of that than the cycle of Reincarnation?" And he was right, and it's probably one of the most prominent suggestions he's brought, reshaping the entire concept.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Jaxus
    replied
    Actually, something comes to my head when I read their history, is Mnemosyne got anything to do with the Goddess of the Cyan Fountain associated with the Wadi Everlasting in the Manual of Exalted Power: Nocturnals? They do sound very similar to my ears.

Leave a comment:

• Kyeudo
    replied
    Here's another of the caste write-ups we've done so far.

THE CHOSEN OF CERES
    Some memories are best forgotten. The horrors of war, the atrocities of a tyrant, a death by torture – these are the things which trouble the minds of the living and trap the souls of the dead. To continue forward, we must put such memories behind us and move on lest we become caught in the past. This is the task given to the Chosen of Ceres.

During the Primordial War, the Revenants served as assassins, spies, and saboteurs, harrying the enemies of Creation night and day. When the war ended, the Revenants turned their skills to their intended use, quieting the angry dead and seeking justice among the living.

The Usurpation saw the Chosen of Ceres fighting on all sides of the conflict, some fighting for long traditions of service, others striking down their corrupt masters. Others among their order fought in the Specter War, keeping the forces of Oblivion from overwhelming the Underworld. Generations later, they were needed again to fight the armies of the Fair Folk during the Balorian Crusade.

Those Chosen to join the ranks of the Revenants are most often decisive individuals, prone to act quickly and deal with the consequences later. Few are without mercy, but rarely are the Chosen of Ceres squeamish about killing or loathe to resort to violence to solve a problem.

Anima Banner: The Chosen of Ceres are marked by the Harvester's sign, a sickle poised to sever the ties between the living and the dead. Their anima banners swirl with dull reds, dark oranges, and honey yellows, leaving a bloody sunset behind them in battle.
    Caste Abilities: The Chosen of Ceres are natural killers, thieves, and exorcists. Their Caste Abilities are Melee and Occult and three Abilities from the following list: Dodge, Investigation, Larceny, Stealth, and Thrown.
    Associations: The color orange, the season of autumn, the southern direction, and the element of fire.
    Sobriquets: Revenants
    Concepts: Assassin, master thief, village exorcist, sell-sword, bounty hunter

Leave a comment:

• Dragonmystic
    replied
    This looks like it could be an interesting idea to add to the Exalted universe, I want to see where it is going. Any idea on cast marks? Also Dragonmystic, are Memorials going to appear in Scroll of Ivy as the project goes along?
    Telling one way or another would be spoilers.

Leave a comment:

• Kyeudo
    replied
    We have plenty of ideas for caste marks.

THE CHOSEN OF PLUTO
    Memories are the foundation of the future. The mistakes of a dead kingdom, the thoughts of a forgotten philosopher, the traditions of a vibrant people – these are the things upon which great achievements are built. From both the successes and the failures of the past, something new can be created, something to last and flourish. This is the task given to the Chosen of Pluto.

During the Primordial War, the Founders acted as administrators, organizers, and craftsmen, making sure that the front lines received the supplies they needed, that operations went smoothly, and that the army received the best equipment possible. Afterward, the settled cities, built businesses, founded hospitals, and forged wonders.

In the aftermath of the Usurpation and the Balorian Crusade, the Chosen of Pluto tried desperately to knit a broken world back together. They rebuilt shattered cities, gathered together refugees, and repaired the great works of the past. Their efforts were only partially successful, as wars, plagues, and other hardships tore down many of their works.

Those Chosen to serve as Founders are often individuals with great vision, able to see what tomorrow might bring and work towards it. Many are industrious and hard working, unwilling to let others labor while they sit idly by. Optimism is a common trait among founders, a particularly painful trait in the Age of Sorrows but one that gives hope for the future.

Anima Banner: The Chosen of Pluto are marked by the sign of the Weaver of Legends, the jeweled scepter with which she judged the worth of each soul before sending it to an appropriate rebirth. Their animas are vibrant with rich browns, bright greens, and golden yellows.
    Caste Abilities: The Chosen of Pluto possess an uncanny talent at bringing people together, at nurturing them and their talents, and building something lasting with them. Their Caste Abilities are Craft and Socialize and three Abilities chosen from the following list: Bureaucracy, Lore, Medicine, Performance, or Linguistics.
    Associations: The color green, the season of spring, the eastern direction, and the element of wood.
    Sobriquets: Founders
    Concepts: Merchant prince, king, civil engineer, blacksmith, rebel leader, monastery abbot

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Jaxus
    replied
    This looks like it could be an interesting idea to add to the Exalted universe, I want to see where it is going. Any idea on cast marks? Also Dragonmystic, are Memorials going to appear in Scroll of Ivy as the project goes along?

Leave a comment:

• LostLight
    replied
    I wonder if Magi could be used as an inspiration source for that splat..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X