Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random Island/Location Generator for Exalted.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Island/Location Generator for Exalted.

So, I originally designed this random generator to spark ideas for me when I was running a 2e game set in the West. I found that rolling 2d10 three times usually gave me enough to create something nifty. I made it to be non-specific intentionally, to better serve as an idea generator. Which means that, if you tweak just a few things, you should be able to get it to work for pretty much anywhere in Creation.

Roll 1d10 on the first table, then 1d10 on the table it directs you to.

Interesting places (roll 1d10):
    1-2: Interesting geographical feature
    3-4: Interesting Ruler
    5-6: Interesting societal characteristic
    7-8: About to be attacked by something interesting
    9-0: Other/Roll twice

Interesting geographical features (roll 1d10)
    1-2: interesting geology (weird looking mountains, strange rock formations, etc)
    3-4: interesting architecture (Huts, First Age Ruins/Buildings, Solar Graves, etc.)
    5-6: interesting aura (i.e. Shadowland/Wyld zone nearby/on island)
    7-8: interesting flora (Nymph's Blood, Mother Bog, etc.)
    9-0: interesting fauna (Rock Rollers, 1000 Hungry Wings, etc.)

Interesting Ruler (roll 1d10)
    1-2: ruled by women/Tya oupost
    3-4: ruled by a god
    5-6: ruled by an exalt
    7-8: ruled by a mortal w/magic of some kind (godblood, has an artifact, etc)
    9-0: more than one ruler (council, democracy, etc.)

Interesting societal characteristic (roll 1d10)
    1: City of Ghosts/Beastmen/Wyld Mutants/etc.
    2: Pirate port
    3: Tribal Society
    4: Limited use of First Age Tech
    5: Very Loyal to Realm/DBs still living there/Immaculate monastery
    6: Planning to rebel against their rulers
    7: Town is famed for something (pearls, shipbuilding, library, etc.)
    8: Town is Wealthy/Poor
    9: Good defenses (large navy, protected shores, first age weapons, etc.)
    0: Enemy/Rivialry with another island.

About to be attacked by something interesting (roll 1d10)
    (assume there is at least one leader equivalent to an exalt in power)
    1-2: fair folk/wyld mutants/Lunars & Beastmen
    3-4: undead/Spirit(s)
    5-6: another nation/Realm Legions
    7-8: pirates/Realm Noble House
    9-0: roll again, but the attack has already occured and the town is empty or being ruled by the attackers

Other (roll 1d10)
    1-2: Abundant Natural resources (MM deposits, good fishing, nice pearls, etc.)
    3-4: Elemental connotations (flying island, active volcano, under-ground/water city, etc.)
    5-6: no city
    7-8: domain of a powerful being
    9-0: roll twice or pick two conflicting entries and use both of them.

Here are some examples I created for the game I was running at the time

Isle of Dead Animals

2-6: interesting aura (Shadowland)
    0-5: no city
    1-9: interesting fauna (zombie animals)

An island of bleached dead looking trees, situated in a Shadowland. Any dead animals buried there rise as zombies 3 days later.

Isle of Mysterious Beasts

6-1: City of Beastmen
    9-6: no city
    4-8: ruled by a mortal w/magic of some kind (godblood, has an artifact, etc)
    Various tribes of beastmen live on the isle, all of which pay homage to a mortal ruler as their god-king. She discovered how to work the controls of a first age machine for rewriting dna and transformed the animals of the isle into beastmen.

Island of the Adamant Cliffs

6-9: Good defenses (large navy, protected shores, first age weapons, etc.)
    5-5: Very Loyal to Realm/DBs still living there/Immaculate monastery
    5-8: Town is Wealthy/Poor

A fortress island ruled by a Realm Satrap. Giant cliffs encircle the entirety of this island, save one narrow channel, which is watched over by firedust cannons, Siege weapons, and even a few scavenged implosion bows and lightning ballistae. The cliffs protect a city, made rich from the large jade beds found here and the resulting trade.

Rainbow Boulders

8-8:About to be attacked by Pirates
    7-0: Ignored
    5-4: Has Builder Bugs

A normal fishing village which seems to have retained some odd looking first age buildings. The building have been constructed by a colony of Builder Bugs which the villagers discovered long ago along with the various pieces of lore to make them work. A Pirate has discovered this and plans to steal them.
    Last edited by BrilliantRain; 11-09-2014, 01:47 PM.

Comment

For he following island I rolled
      6-5: Very Loyal to Realm/DBs still living there/Immaculate monastery
      4-8: ruled by a mortal w/magic of some kind (godblood, has an artifact, etc)
      2-7: interesting flora (Nymph's Blood, Mother Bog, etc.)

Island of the Invincible Willow

General Description

So called for the 1,000ft willow tree that grows at the center of the island. Home to a number of Sages and Savants who spend much of their time in discourse or research at the large library. Noted for the organic look to the houses and the prevalence of vegetarian food. The ruler of this island is a thaumaturge who long ago discovered how to operate the controls of the tree-manse, allowing him near total control of all the plants on the island. He has used this control to ensure housing and food for his community, so that they can spend their time on more noble pursuits. A long standing Realm holding, it has been under Cynis control for most of that time. The Current Satrap, Cynis Falan Saki, is unique in that, while she is certainly a product of her house, she is also a skilled doctor, herbalist, and, archer, as well as being well trained in several other pursuits.

Government & Economics

As previously stated, this is a Realm Satrapy. However, as House Cynis doesn't really care about this island as long as it keeps the drugs and elixirs coming, the Satrap generally spends her time in her mansion with her slaves.
      The actual government has more in common with an academy or research facility than anything else. The current Head Librarian, Seventh Season, is an excellent Doctor and Alchemist, although all of his time is currently spent making sure quotas are filled, that the Manse is operating properly, settling disagreements, and other bureaucratic nonsense. While he would rather be researching, he apparently runs the island well and keeps the Realm happy, which suits the sages and thaumaturges well.

This island is surprisingly prosperous. They seem to have everything a thaumaturge could want. This is due to two things: The high demand (and thus high cost) for their drugs and most of their basic needs are supplied by their trees. The common drugs are apparently gathered by tapping the sap of certain trees from the First Age, such things as Age-Staving Cordial or Seven Bounties Paste. They refine and reprocess other things to make their more complex preparations, like Sweet Cordial or even the legendary Six-Demon Potion. In this way they are able to keep up their high standard of living.

While they do buy slaves from the Guild, they seem to want little from them except for minimal cleaning and other housekeeping duties and do not treat them badly, although this seems to be as much from disinterest as enlightenment.

Food and Housing

Aside from some of the more dangerous labs and the Satrap's Mansion, all of the buildings appear to be grown from various types of trees. Food is also freely available from trees, bushes, and vines that grow in all the common areas. Many different kinds of fruit grow from these plants, including some unusual ones that taste like various kines of meat. These grow all year around. The freely available food and easily expanded shelter allows the government of the island to concentrate it's money on the few supplies that they cannot make themselves and on luxuries for those inhabitants that are less attracted to the pursuit of knowledge. Their apples are quite delicious.

The library is freely open to all, but Heaven help you if you hurt a book.

Metaphysical Notes

This island lies on the confluence of five strong wood dragon lines. It is the strongest known Wood Manse in the West. Through some miracle of First Age engineering, most of that power has been safely harnessed to create the abundance of plant growth on the island. There are some indications that it can be controlled and directed for a number of purposes, such as accelerating the growth of specific plants, shaping trees into houses, or even producing new plant types. The Manse is said to create two Stones of Healing.
      Last edited by BrilliantRain; 11-09-2014, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Well my first island was famed for being ruled exclusively by women, but got attacked by pirates and now they run things instead.

I'm not sure the female players in my group will believe me if I say this was from a generator.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyrosorc View Post
          Well my first island was famed for being ruled exclusively by women, but got attacked by pirates and now they run things instead.

I'm not sure the female players in my group will believe me if I say this was from a generator.
          The generator is meant as a starting point to get the ideas flowing, so feel free to change up what it says. Or just roll again.

Comment

I'm just starting a game in the West, so this is going to be extremely useful. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Went..uh..a bit crazy with rolling for this.
              It's..certainly an idea, though.

5,4 = Limited use of first age leftovers (Because someone looked over my shoulder and took issue with the word 'tech')
              1,3 = Interesting architecture
              3,5 = Ruled by an exalt
              3,1 = Ruled by women
              9,2 = Abundant Resources
              5,5 = Very Loyal to Realm/DBs still living there/Immaculate Monastery
              4,9 = Ruled by multiple people (Council, democracy, ETC)

Seems like, wherever these folks are, they're some sort of dragonblooded council composed of women?
              Gonna say they're not actually that cozy with the realm, but rather that it refers to the number of dragonbloods among them.
              The state is comprised of a number of Dragonblooded Clans, these being matrilineal kinship groups led by one of their exalted women for life. There were fewer clans in the past, but over time they have fractured repeatedly to produce smaller houses, adding to the complexity of the nation's politics. I'll say, off the top of my head, that in place of an institution of marriage they have a tradition like the coming and going practiced by the Mosuo people, though with comparatively little expectation of secrecy as to who their partners are. From among themselves these myriad families of varying but generally small size elect a number of representatives for the Diet of Wyrms, the primary governmental body of the state.

And..uh...that's as much as I overly care to think of for the moment.

Comment

I'm really glad people are enjoying this.
                Last edited by BrilliantRain; 11-25-2015, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Been making Exalted toys again today and I remembered this thread and how much I loved it. So, I built a randomizer for you.

It's right here.

You have to make a copy of it to play with it. It occasionally makes redundant results, but it works reasonably well. I'm sure it could be improved. Anyways, enjoy.

I post Artifacts in this thread. How I make them is in this thread.
                  I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

Whoops, just fixed an error in it. Those that aren't getting examples of "Already attacked by/Currently ruled by" make another copy. Should have an example beneath it now.

I have made many tools and other things for 3rd Edition. I now host all of my creations on my Google site: The Vault of the Unsung Hero

Comment

3,5,(4,2)

So we have an interesting Architecture, interesting Aura, Abundant natural resources and elemental connotations.
                      hm,
                      The island of Chez'n looks like your typical tropical island with a giant volcano that constantly bellowing smoke. The island has no living inhabitants, even with it's vast gem deposits and fertile banana forests. This is due to the volcano once holding a manse-city inside of it's massive crater. This city, called Chez'senok was once a Dragon King fortress, before primordial forces slaughtered the population and human refugees of the war congregated at the city for safety. This human population survived the Great Contagion and the subsequent Balor Crusade, only to be killed by a smoke leak around 30 years later. The few survivors became merchants as Chez'enok was turned into a shadowlands manse and all the other inhabitants became ghosts. The survivors and the dead made a deal of blood that the dead would control the island and share it resources with their living kin while the survivors would offer prayer to the dead and help stop pirates and colonists from finding the island. While this deal has worked out for both parties, although the undead have since started a war with the fire elementals of the volcano, which has reduced their effectiveness, and the various survivors have split into rival clans that fight for control of the lucrative trade deal with their undead kin.

My homebrew blog

Comment

Originally posted by The Unsung Hero View Post
                        Been making Exalted toys again today and I remembered this thread and how much I loved it. So, I built a randomizer for you.

It's right here.

You have to make a copy of it to play with it. It occasionally makes redundant results, but it works reasonably well. I'm sure it could be improved. Anyways, enjoy.
                        Thank you very much!

Comment

Fixed one more thing so you shouldn't get recurring "Roll Twice" results. Don't mean to keep bumping the thread, but Private Messaging isn't working for some reason today. I blame my work computer.

Comment

Working...
                          X