Godbloods in your games.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godbloods in your games.

I want to hear about godbloods (and other spirit-bloods) in your games, because I'm selfish like that. Also, speculation on godbloods in 3e may occur here, if that's going to be a thing.

Oh, right, I also have an ulterior motive. I'm mulling over a character concept for a future game, and since I don't have whichever book I need for an actual godblooded character, nor can I afford it with the looming shadows of the Thanksgiving to Christmas season looming overhead, I have chosen to represent this with a mixture of mutations and being a priest of their divine parent.

I now wish to have something to compare my ideas to before I put too much into this concept, and since the wiki and old forums aren't exactly there for me to search, I'm asking here. Also because I'm selfish like that.

Carry on then.

Currently Playing: A large, mixed splat game of CofD. As: Seraph du Salomon, Voice on the concordance. Unsubtle man reluctantly participating in the business of Magi. Awakening 2E homebrew http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...=1569864567692

With RAW in 2E, god bloods essentially are Heroic mortals with access to automatic Awakened Essence, access to thier parents' charms, and the ability to take mutations to represent their supernal heritage. So pretty much, you're spot on.

Now, in a general sense. In the all to often event that I'm running a game, I use god-bloods as intermediaries between humanity and spirits. The wandering exorcist. The demon hunter. The high priest. While you can use normal humans for this, I find using god bloods with appropriately thematic charms to be a nice touch, and a good way to get the Players to remember an NPC.

Also, god bloods make good intermediate enemies, even for the exalted. They're a nice way to deliver enemies with powers outside of the traditional Exalts' themes, but without the baggage that come with the spirit flavors. More than once, I've had an equivalent number of pretty weak god-bloods go toe-to-toe with Celestial exalted, just by virtue of them having an unexpected power each and a decent head on their shoulders. Underestimate these guys at your peril.

Something that I've wanted to do, but never had the chance to, is to have a god blooded mentor character. It seems to me that an aged hero of yesteryear is easiest to do with them, since they have more potential benefits than a vanilla mortal, but then you don't have to worry about the elder powers you'd see in an Exalt that would die of age soon.

And... That's about it, at least for what I can think of off the top of my head. Seems to me like most of that space will be taken by Exigents in 3E, and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Comment

Did not get to use them yet, but will. I had an idea for Alchemical PC who retained memories of his former life as Tunnel Chieftain, some seven hundred years ago. His old ally, a Raiden-like son of Arc-jumper, still leads the tribe. I'm a fan of very old "mortals".

One Solar that saw play-time was from a short "line" of god-blooded, but only had ability to materialize wings from thin air. He also had an aunt who became goddess. They descended from high-ranked member of UC's personal guard.

One of the Lunar NPCs in a Campaign I'm starting, was born half-fae. Her parent ruled a kingdom sized part of creation, until she roused human population, and drove them off. She started a kingdom that game begins in, but was herself banished by her (pure human) children when fear of her nature outweighed the gratitude. After Exaltation she was mentored by Raksi which gave her completely wrong impression of Lunars as a whole. That and the fact that she can't do sorcery for shit led her to develop her wyld powers and neglect Lunar ones. She can't do sorcery for shit because ability to just shape things in the wyld made her hedonist trough and trough, to the point that any kind of sacrifice for sorcery is out of the question. She forges fae and has some pretty megalomaniac plans for unshaped. She's gonna serve as possible mentor and a quest giver.
      Last edited by Runelord; 11-10-2014, 04:46 AM.

Comment

I've seen godbloods mostly used to give extra juice to martial artists. Basically, to be the leaders of mortal thugs, or the backup to a Dragonblood. To be a human (as opposed to Raksha, ghost, etc) foe on a level between mortal and DBs. To make a fight with enlightened martial artists more interesting when they bust out some unusual spirit charms.
        Very early on, I saw them used as leaders with connections to the gods. for example right at the beginning of the long-running Solar game I play, the first foe we faced was a Mongol-esque warlord who was the son of the local war-god.
        But essentially, as you pump up your xp in a Solar game, God-bloods are just too far behind you to be serious antagonists, they're just minor NPCs you can interact with.

STing Bronze Age Exalted

Comment

I really like god-bloods. I was hoping that they would be expanded upon in the 3rd edition but my hopes dwindle as more and more exalted types are revealed and there wont be time to develop them properly. i am in all likelihood going to ignore the new exalted types in favor of god-bloods and simply use the rules for making exigents as my custom god-blood design system.

Comment

Originally posted by Gryphon's Feather View Post
            I have chosen to represent this with a mixture of mutations and being a priest of their divine parent.
            That's probably the sane thing to do.
            I've done relatively little with divine god blooded (though there's a cool one in our playtest) but my 6-year game has a demon blooded married to two of the PCs, I've played a ghost blooded and might have have some mental anguish from faeblooded.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

Plug for the Sword of Creation forum, a new hub for Exalted related content

Comment

I`m not keen on Godbloods, mainly due to a bad incident in which our starting solar party ran into Captain Buruku of Wavecrest, son of the local volcano god.

He chased us down on a boat and we, being new solars, figured that him not being an exalt meant that we would likely give him a good slap. Upshot of this was that he killed our solar martial artist in one round with a principle of motion flurry and everyone was somewhat bemused at his alarming strength. Flicking open my "west" book shows him as essence three with 8 actions stacked in principle of motion as a default.

Of course, this was long before the scroll of heroes and such....by the rules as of 2.5 the man should already have ascended to god-hood considering his essence level, or something thereabouts.

After that encounter, we were left a bit stunned that something so grim could be out there without having to deal with all the nonsense that we, as solars, were getting (ie the reason he was sent out to kill us off in the first place, being anathema and all). We weren't optimised, but we thought that we had a fair handle on likely threats and he just didn't register as being one until he vaporised one of us. When god-bloods are proving a major threat to solars, something just isn't right. From what I see in third edition, he would likely be one of those new types of exalt, the ones that gods petition for as private agents in creation (exigents?).

Godbloods should, basically, be above mortals but far from what they were statted out as in second edition.
              Last edited by Silvercat18; 11-10-2014, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvercat18 View Post
                He chased us down on a boat and we, being new solars, figured that him not being an exalt meant that we would likely give him a good slap.
                That was your first mistake.

....by the rules as of 2.5 the man should already have ascended to god-hood considering his essence level, or something thereabouts.
                Nope, that's 4+. Essence 3 is the cap, so he's fine.

We weren't optimised, but we thought that we had a fair handle on likely threats and he just didn't register as being one until he vaporised one of us.
                From what we've heard about Ex3, not treating a combatant as a threat because he punches in a lower weight-class than you will get you just as dead. That's called "working as intended."

When god-bloods are proving a major threat to solars, something just isn't right.
                Your expectations, perhaps?

From what I see in third edition, he would likely be one of those new types of exalt, the ones that gods petition for as private agents in creation (exigents?).
                Exigents are blessed by the gods in question - God-Blooded are born to them. So really it'd depend more on his backstory.

Godbloods should, basically, be above mortals but far from what they were statted out as in second edition.
                Ah, here's where we agree!

He/him

Comment

Originally posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post
                  I really like god-bloods. I was hoping that they would be expanded upon in the 3rd edition but my hopes dwindle as more and more exalted types are revealed and there wont be time to develop them properly. i am in all likelihood going to ignore the new exalted types in favor of god-bloods and simply use the rules for making exigents as my custom god-blood design system.
                  No doubt, Exigents will be beneficial for God-Blooded. But, as far as material for God-Blooded goes, I don't think you actually have to worry.

Originally posted by Holden
                  God-Blooded playable out of the corebook: Kinda-sorta-not-really. Not the awakened-Essence kind with Charms, anyway. Later support: I want to give them a 164-page-ish softcover book somewhere down the road.
                  One of the KS Backer bonuses was a meeting they had, during which some book ideas were batted around. I can't find BrilliantRain's great summary of it,* but their plan for the God-Blooded book included giving each variety its own Charm set. It's not yet greenlit, obviously, but their desire is there.

* Pretty sure it was on the old forums. :/ What's worse, while that topic was likely near the top, the domain for the forum archive seems to have expired.

The EX3 What We Know Wiki, courtesy of Marin and JMobius
                  Nishkriya, the EX3 Freelancer Quotes Tracker, courtesy of Anathema and Moonwolf
                  The White Wolf Forum Archive, courtesy of The Dark Wizard and Sanctaphrax (see its Patreon)
                  Arrghus: There's also the Shepherd of the North Star, busily guiding the one thing in all the heavens that doesn't move.

Comment

Long rambling story begins...

Back when 2nd was fairly new-ish, some friends and I decided to play a First Age game with all the toys in this "Wonders of the Lost Age" book. The twist was that we were Dragonblooded, chiefly that we were the first Dragonblooded practitioners of the Immaculate Martial Arts styles and we would be key figures in the Usurpation. The one of the DBs in the Brotherhood had a god-blooded, or rather Elemental Blooded, retainer. She was the daughter of Green Frowning Bear and had a redonkulous charm suit based around using Wood (and Air) essence to be a healer and scholar. Well the game ran on, was put on hold, was brought back, got updated with new rules as new books came out. We never played out that final battle, ending the game on the eve of that fateful Calibration.

Later, I would be "Forever ST" and running a game set in the Time of Tumult.

Fun fact. God(and Elemental)-Bloods have access to spirit charms.
                    Fun fact 2. One such charm allows you to confer your mutations on other characters - even Essence users if you commit the motes.
                    Fun fact 3. Immortality is a mutation.

Turns out one of our DBs survived the Usurpation. Backed up by our resident Elemental-Blooded healer, was made immortal. Purchased Transcendent Gaian Harmony five (well, six back then) times and the charm that lets you absorb elementals into your body so you can use their charms.

And our Elemental Blooded minor party-NPC character became a Lesser Elemental Dragon. Good times. Celestial Circle Sorcery.

Long rambling story ends.

Even without hideously abusing the rules, that Mutation conferring Boon is a great trick for God-Bloods to have. Principle of Motion abuse, and Dematerialise are also solids. And Amethyst Awareness. Amethyst Awareness rocks. (Especially if you have the excuse of putting the same limitations on it that Green Frowning Bear has on his perception charms - "anything touching the air".)

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvercat18 View Post
                      I`m not keen on Godbloods, mainly due to a bad incident in which our starting solar party ran into Captain Buruku of Wavecrest, son of the local volcano god.

He chased us down on a boat and we, being new solars, figured that him not being an exalt meant that we would likely give him a good slap. Upshot of this was that he killed our solar martial artist in one round with a principle of motion flurry and everyone was somewhat bemused at his alarming strength. Flicking open my "west" book shows him as essence three with 8 actions stacked in principle of motion as a default.

Of course, this was long before the scroll of heroes and such....by the rules as of 2.5 the man should already have ascended to god-hood considering his essence level, or something thereabouts.

After that encounter, we were left a bit stunned that something so grim could be out there without having to deal with all the nonsense that we, as solars, were getting (ie the reason he was sent out to kill us off in the first place, being anathema and all). We weren't optimised, but we thought that we had a fair handle on likely threats and he just didn't register as being one until he vaporised one of us. When god-bloods are proving a major threat to solars, something just isn't right. From what I see in third edition, he would likely be one of those new types of exalt, the ones that gods petition for as private agents in creation (exigents?).

Nah, looks like it's working as intended.

Comment

God-Bloods and the variants (Half-Castes, Beastmen, various -Bloods like Fey, Elemental, God, Ghost, Demon, and whatever else) fill a very specific and very necessary gap in Exalted between enlightened mortal and Exalted. Generally, I've found that the setting make much more sense if there is a liberal sprinkling of them around, even if they aren't the major power-brokers. An Exalt is still going to be above them in most cases, if you adjust Charms a bit.

#1, Principle of motion is banned in my games, though sometimes I will turn it into an Extra Action Charm.
                        #2, Charm access for everyone is heavily restricted. Generally I allow anyone to take an Excellency equivalent to the Terrestrial First Excellency and any Charm with an Essence requirement of 1, as well as Terrestrial Martial Arts and Terrestrial Sorcery (or Necromancy as the case may be). Anything else has to be approved . 'm fairly generous there, but I do not want my Enlightened Mortals game to get too high. If I'm running enlightened mortals, its because I want enlightened mortals, not mini-Exalted. As a guideline I will usually allow Essence 2 Charms, and up to 3 in the characters favored abilities, and I am WAY more restrictive on Half-Castes and Fey-Blooded than on the other types. Spirit Charms are generally already heavily restricted and not as powerful as Exalt Charms (In general, after taking into consideration the restrictions on usage! There are exceptions, of course).
                        #3: I assign the Inheritance dots, just as I would with Liege or Age or anything else that gives extra starting points. You can spend them how you wish (with ST approval as usual).
                        #4: Essence has a hard cap of 3 without ST approval. If I'm running a heroic mortals game, I don't want one player running off to Essence 4 and becoming a minor god.
                        #5: If the party as a whole is ready to break one of the above rules, I'm prepared to go with it. My only real concern is keeping the party in balance with each other and with the story I want to tell. I'll leave room for progression, but I don't want the change in one character to be so drastic that they have to retire the character, or can't fill the role they want.
                        #6: Restrictions on Backgrounds. Just to keep things reasonable, I might step in and stop someone from taking something, like a 5-dot unique Artifact, but that's pretty rare. Mostly I'm concerned about a Half-Caste Abyssal trying to take Liege 5, and things like that.
                        #7: Reduced costs on Thaumaturgy appropriate for the character. I'll usually let each character reduce the cost of a college by two points if it appropriate to the blooded-type. Ghost-bloods get easier access to the Arts of the Dead, Sidereal Half-Castes get easier access to Astrology, etc.

That really helps to put them in the role that I see them as. They stand between mortals and truly spiritually-awakened things like Exalts and Ghosts and Gods. I love all of them. If I run another campaign, I will use them more liberally than I have been for followers and allies, as well as NPCs in the middle reaches of bureaucracies, and independent sages and scavenger lords.

Comment

That's very much how I see them, they fulfill a useful role between mortals and Exalts, while still fulfilling human roles like bandit leader, priest, martial artist, king, etc.

STing Bronze Age Exalted

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                            That was your first mistake.
                            I don't think their assessment was entirely unreasonable.

This was one god blooded picking a fight with a circle of Solars and managing to kill one of them because a (then) broken charm allowed him to make eight attacks in one action. There's no indication that the Solars really underestimated him beyond deciding to face him in battle rather than run away.

Third Edition could easily do an entertaining fight between him and the Dawn Caste but if he was fighting several Solars a battle group of nameless crew would only protect him for so long. To say nothing of the son of a volcano god having generic attack spam as the best trick up his sleeve.

success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm

Comment

Working...
                            X