God-Kicking Boot: An Exalted Comic by Wise Old Guru

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God-Kicking Boot: An Exalted Comic by Wise Old Guru

So I just spotted this link in Wise Old Guru's signature. It's a comic that's currently about a village preparing for a rain festival so that the gods will make it rain on their crops, but it seems to be a flashback and the real story hasn't properly gotten started yet. So far it's only eight pages, but I can already feel the very Exalted setting foundation, and some of the art- and colourwork is awesome. I particularly like Rain Mother's cloud hair.

I'll certainly be keeping an eye on this comic.

Edit: Oh, and the comics have little (or sometimes pretty significant) alt-texts that appear if you hover over them. I would maybe have preferred to see those in a post below the comic, myself, but maybe the host site doesn't allow for that.
    Last edited by Weimann; 11-13-2014, 11:35 AM.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Added this to my webcomics browser bar. Looks pretty interesting so far. I'm digging the flashback angle.

Comment

I will get this added to my Exalted web-comics thread!

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade

Comment

Oh hey.

Yeah, this comic looks pretty neat, I guess. Y'all should maybe keep reading it...

Smackjeeves does seem to support a comment-system, but I haven't played with it much. I do think the alt-texts tend to be a bit too long to read before they fade when you hold the mouse over 'em, so I'll look into your suggestion, Weimann.

So I'm making God-Kicking Boot, an Exalted webcomic, now. Updates on Sundays. Full-color, mediocre but slowly improving art. It's a thing.

The absence of a monument can, in its own way, be something of a monument also.
        -Roger Zelazny

Comment

The writing's pretty solid and I do appreciate the India inspired setting. You don't really see that in fantasy.

Comment

I am liking this. Eager to see what happens to Jaya as she becomes the woman telling the story later.

Comment

It looks really interesting, and I've been looking for some new webcomics lately.

Comment

You have my readership.

Exalted Fanfiction on AO3 that I have authored. A Lunar oral history, a Solar buddy-fiction, and other story hooks.

Comment

So, who is this guy and why did Boot's mother not realize it wasn't her Great Uncle before? Sidereal? Lunar? Evil Twin brother?

I can't wait until next Sunday!

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

If anything, I'd say Sidereal. They are more associated with the Realm. We might not get an answer just yet, though, as Boot was sent away. Then again, might not be her telling the flashback anyway, since she doesn't understand Riverspeak.

I'm honestly more interested in what present day Boot is up to that's likely to require two weeks of recovery time and an on-call healer.
                    Last edited by Weimann; 12-01-2014, 02:03 PM.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

My bet is, she's entering a martial arts tournament, or something of the kind.

Comment

I came across this earlier today and I'm really liking it so far! I really like Exalted stories that explore unique and rarely-touched-up parts of the world.

i don't know a hecking thing, my guy

Comment

Originally posted by Weimann View Post
                          I'm honestly more interested in what present day Boot is up to that's likely to require two weeks of recovery time and an on-call healer.
                          Gee, you think she's - I dunno - trying to kick a god of some sort?

"For me, there's no fundamental conflict between really loving something and also seeing it as very profoundly flawed." -- Jay Eddidin

Comment

My word! Whatever would make you think that? :O The very notion!

My first thought was that she kind of secretly rebelling against the Dynasts. No evidence either way, though.

Comment

My theory, based upon shockingly little evidence besides the title, is that she feels wronged by one of the gods she helped to propitiate in the flashbacks. The god in question feels indebted enough to her for the past to not kill her, but keeps on beating her up each time she's strong enough to fight, hence all this talk about seeing things through and less-dangerous lines of work... like being the bouncer for a bar in the slums.

"For me, there's no fundamental conflict between really loving something and also seeing it as very profoundly flawed." -- Jay Eddidin

Comment

Working...
                              X