X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omicron
    started a topic [SMA]Octarine Angles of Impossibility

[SMA]Octarine Angles of Impossibility

First things first: thanks a lot to Revlid for helping me with this. The starting concept is his, any failure execution is on me. Especially the latter parts of the Style where that shit gets cray-cray.

Do you wish you could emulate HP Lovecraft's terror at the new discoveries of astronomy and General Relativity, and channel this existential dread into fighting techniques?
    Do you wish you could be an Elder God?
    Do you wish to be a Madoka Witch?

Ladies and gentlemen: Octarine Angles of Impossibility Style.
    Last edited by Omicron; 11-30-2014, 05:29 PM.

• Prophet
    replied
    Why the hell did I open this thread at work?!? I want to get home and read it properly! From the introduction to people's comments I'm drooling! You had me at "Lovecraft".

Leave a comment:

• SamuraiMujuru
    replied
    Originally posted by Quanutmshard View Post
    I admit, when I read the thread title, I first thought of Discworld, and expected charms like orangutan-organizes-the-books, or perhaps Luggage-moves-with-ten-hundred-little-feet prana.

For the love of god and all things holy, someone please write this style!

Leave a comment:

• Quanutmshard
    replied
    I admit, when I read the thread title, I first thought of Discworld, and expected charms like orangutan-organizes-the-books, or perhaps Luggage-moves-with-ten-hundred-little-feet prana.

Leave a comment:

• SamuraiMujuru
    replied
    Originally posted by Omicron View Post
    Well, two things: for one, the first Charm in the style refers to a color that doesn't exist and cannot be described. For two, it is called Wearing the Light Fantastic I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

(note that it's also simultaneously a reference to Lovecraft's The Color Out of Space)

And yeah, it's not as overtly lethal as others. It's supposed to incentivize guerilla-style tactic, locking down a preferably-urban environment and harassing your opponent by preventing their escape, controlling their movements, and laying down internal penalties on them.
    Brilliant! Already planning ways to throw it at the players in my ongoing game to trip them up. All in all, love the style!

Leave a comment:

• Omicron
    replied
    Originally posted by SamuraiMujuru View Post
    I'm really digging the vibes of this style. Well written, and thematically awesome. The overall effects seem a bit... less lethal(?) than a lot of Sidereal martial arts, but there could be an immense amount of fun to be had with this.

Gotta ask. Octarine. Clever Pratchett reference or word you just though sounded cool?
    Well, two things: for one, the first Charm in the style refers to a color that doesn't exist and cannot be described. For two, it is called Wearing the Light Fantastic I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

(note that it's also simultaneously a reference to Lovecraft's The Color Out of Space)

And yeah, it's not as overtly lethal as others. It's supposed to incentivize guerilla-style tactic, locking down a preferably-urban environment and harassing your opponent by preventing their escape, controlling their movements, and laying down internal penalties on them.

Leave a comment:

• SamuraiMujuru
    replied
    I'm really digging the vibes of this style. Well written, and thematically awesome. The overall effects seem a bit... less lethal(?) than a lot of Sidereal martial arts, but there could be an immense amount of fun to be had with this.

Gotta ask. Octarine. Clever Pratchett reference or word you just though sounded cool?

Leave a comment:

• St. Niko
    replied
    Originally posted by azoicennead View Post
    On a local scale, Euclidean geometry provides accurate results. However, when you look at the bigger picture, stuff like this (triangle with 230 degrees and two right angles) happens. This is because the Earth is really fucking big, relative to our perceived space. That size makes Euclidean geometry an accurate approximation on local scale.

But we're still living in non-Euclidean space, and completely accurate results come from non-Euclidean geometry.

What you're describing is really more space going fucking nuts than being turned non-Euclidean ('cause, y'know, already there).
    You're talking about issues of scale though. Obviously you're going to have different results trying to get an observably flat surface (Creation within a given scene) to have such a triangle logically make sense. Hell, imagine trying to walk through a door which is it's own localized instance. The frame is a mobious strip with a consistent "inside the frame"/"wall" narrative across the surface. Have fun!

Leave a comment:

• Mercury
    replied
    More terrifying: non-Euclidean zoning schemes!

Leave a comment:

• azoicennead
    replied
    Originally posted by Omicron View Post
    You're standing in the street; suddenly, without the actual physical make-up changing (the street is still flat, buildings are still in the same spots), parallel lines cross each other, right angles aren't 90° anymore, which as you start walking around will get pretty maddending. Or so I figure; I've never actually been in such a situation, obviously.
    On a local scale, Euclidean geometry provides accurate results. However, when you look at the bigger picture, stuff like this (triangle with 230 degrees and two right angles) happens. This is because the Earth is really fucking big, relative to our perceived space. That size makes Euclidean geometry an accurate approximation on local scale.

But we're still living in non-Euclidean space, and completely accurate results come from non-Euclidean geometry.

What you're describing is really more space going fucking nuts than being turned non-Euclidean ('cause, y'know, already there).

Leave a comment:

• ZealousChristian24
    replied
    This is terrifying and beautiful AND I WANT IT!

I mean, good job! Not the most mechanically inclined, but the thematics and atmosphere is top notch!

Leave a comment:

• Leliel
    replied
    [I walked.]

[I could do nothing but walk.]

[And then, I saw me, walking in front of myself.]

[But...it wasn't really me.]

[Watch out.]

[The gap in the door...it's a separate reality.]

[The only me is me.]

[Are you sure the only you is you?]

- Gyou Uzumaki, sifu of Octarine Style, in one of his clearer moods.

Love it.
    Last edited by Leliel; 11-30-2014, 09:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mercury
    replied
    Eh. It doesn't strike me as all that crucial- after all, if you're actually trying to hide a Gate on someone, you could just leave the wound under their shirt or something.

Honestly, the more I read this the more I like it. I think you knocked this out of the park.

Leave a comment:

• Omicron
    replied
    The rest of the style is pretty much the full toolkit you'd want for emulating horror from beyond time, and I especially like your alteration of the blockade movement action. One question, though- why doesn't Flesh-Tearing Gate Atemi hide itself from other people as well as the victim?
    Because I find the idea of someone having a gaping wound to another dimension and people pointing it out and him not understanding it what's going on while mystical attacks lash out from his chest amusing.

It might not be the soundest gameplay decision, though. Should I make it self-concealing?

Leave a comment:

• Mercury
    replied
    Nice.

I'm especially a fan of Beyond the Gate for a recurring NPC- even if a circle kills a Sidereal antagonist using this style, they're pretty unlikely to figure out what's up before he gets a chance to come back for a second round. Better yet, unlike other charms which go to the same effect (looking at you, Quicksilver Hand of Dreams) once they've figured it out it's pretty easy to actually stop the Sidereal from respawning- simultaneously, it's not too powerful to let a PC have. Very game-able.

The rest of the style is pretty much the full toolkit you'd want for emulating horror from beyond time, and I especially like your alteration of the blockade movement action. One question, though- why doesn't Flesh-Tearing Gate Atemi hide itself from other people as well as the victim?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X