Battle of Five Armies [spoilers, obviously]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battle of Five Armies [spoilers, obviously]

So I know it just came out yesterday but whenever I see a movie that reminds me of exalted I like to make posts about it to see what other people think and stuff.

I was actually thinking that some of the developer comments about how essence and charms work in exalted compare to how magic usually works in middle earth. For instance, without going into too much detail, certain elves are a lot more powerful than other elves based roughly on how well their ancestors answered the call of their god and traveled across the sea. So Noldor like Elrond and Galadriel are basically overflowing with inherant magic and Sindar, like Thranduil and Legolas, have quite a bit.

However instead of expressing it really overtly these elves basically just stride through certain death while gracefully dodging sword swings and simultaneously cutting throats left right and center. Or in Legolas' case grabbing onto a bat, using it to fly to the top of a tower, felling a small army of orcs with one arrow each, then killing a giant with a short sword and using his death throes to collapse a tower into a bridge where a fight involving much backflipping and wall jumping ensues. The Dwarves of Durin's line have something similar where their presence turns the tide of a battle and together the four of them kill hundreds.

Yesterday? Hahaha! I saw it last sunday.

Legolas is bullshit on legs. The stunts he performed had me thinking "yup, that's Solar fighting right there: no overt expression of magic, but actions whose skill and accuracy cannot be explained by human strength alone."

Bits and pieces of Exalted setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Omicron View Post
      Legolas is bullshit on legs. The stunts he performed had me thinking "yup, that's Solar fighting right there: no overt expression of magic, but actions whose skill and accuracy cannot be explained by human strength alone."
      Yeah seriously, Elrond too, he goes 1v4 against lightning fast semi-invisible ghost kings with nothing more than a single blade and his badass Noldorin grace.

Comment

I'd say Legolas is a Sidereal, having appeared in places and stories he was never intended to be.

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

Originally posted by Zelbinnean View Post
          I'd say Legolas is a Sidereal, having appeared in places and stories he was never intended to be.
          And not least never should have appeared in...

Comment

I liked the fighting scenes, but the story telling is suffering from corporate meddling. You can tell Jackson was told to do it up more. And giving such a big role to Orlando Bloom is almost certainly because of that.

Almkst got my $9.75 worth of entertainment though.

Comment

Also, Thorin's bout of Dragon Sickness is a pretty damn neat example of how Virtue Flaws are supposed to work. He really should've gone for Partial Control, but I guess he needed the extra Willpower to deal with Azog.

And is it just me or was Galadriel's cursing of Sauron worthy of Adamant Circle Sorcery?

As for the Elves... Lintha. Lintha all the way.

Aretii: "As one of the players described it, 'After initiation, it was actually a relief seeing who had eyepatches or bandaged hands - you know what they sacrificed, instead of wondering what bits people cut out of their own souls to gain power.'"

Comment

Bard being able to lead FISHERMEN successfully against properly-trained and drilled warrior orcs outfitted with plate armor and proper weapons... Thorin and twelve misfits being able to turn the tide against an orc army slowly but systemically slaughtering fully-armored and well-coordinated dwarves...

Drane swinging his hammer around like it was one-fifth its size and five times as powerful, and bare-headedly HEADBUTTING helmeted orcs into unconsciousness without flinching? Like a fucking BOSS?

Yeah, these were Exalts taking to the field.

Also, dwarven GOAT war-mounts. Awesome. Drane's boar was also neat.

I loved how GIGANTIC Agoz seemed when he was fighting Thorin, since the dwarf was the only thing to compare him against for size. Since the orc is taller than elves and humans, obviously he would tower over a dwarf.

formerly Tornado Wolf, formerly Inugami

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sia View Post
                  Also, Thorin's bout of Dragon Sickness is a pretty damn neat example of how Virtue Flaws are supposed to work. He really should've gone for Partial Control, but I guess he needed the extra Willpower to deal with Azog.
                  Yeah and this is why Partial Control was never a good idea, just a huge cop-out. You should never be able to say "I decide my Mythic Weakness is annoying when it comes up this time so I push a button and spend a super-easily-recovered to shut it off." That's bullshit.

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

Finally got around to seeing this...Agreed, it was awesome! Honestly, it felt like there was more action in this one than in all the other 5 combined (well, excepting RotK)!

While the action certainly works for Exalts, personally, I couldn't help but think "Raksha". Couldn't Legolas' actions also be a good illustration of Self-Definition Charms and Wyld Stunts?

Could a Raksha Assume a draconic form, or would Smaug *have* to be a Behemoth? Canonically, are there any self-determining Fae Behemoths? I thought they were all created and controlled by Raksha...

While kind of on the subject, has anyone played Shadow of Mordor? Is the action in that at least as Epic as the movies? Is it a good game for feeling Exalted action, even without the anima banners?

Comment

Originally posted by Hand-of-Omega View Post
                      While the action certainly works for Exalts, personally, I couldn't help but think "Raksha". Couldn't Legolas' actions also be a good illustration of Self-Definition Charms and Wyld Stunts?
                      Raksha could pretend to be damn near anything in Second Edition.

Could a Raksha Assume a draconic form
                      The Assumption of Beast Shape Charms include a Charm for disguising yourself as the fully-animal version of the creature on which you chose to base your Bestial Assumption.

So, yes. A raksha could play the role of Smaug. At least until someone slaps him with iron or sees his Tell.

or would Smaug *have* to be a Behemoth?
                      Smaug answers to no one, so he CANNOT be a Fae behemoth.

Canonically, are there any self-determining Fae Behemoths? I thought they were all created and controlled by Raksha...
                      No and Yes, respectively. Behemoths are lower than commoners or even poppets/wee-folk. They are tools, not actors. In the Wyld, they are objects; in Creation, they are at best beasts.

Though generally, the question of "behemoth agency" was very poorly considered or defined.

By ditching Shaping Combat and making the raksha run on the same game-engine as the rest of the fucking game, their behemoths should become less confused.

formerly Tornado Wolf, formerly Inugami

Comment

Originally posted by Hand-of-Omega View Post

While kind of on the subject, has anyone played Shadow of Mordor? Is the action in that at least as Epic as the movies? Is it a good game for feeling Exalted action, even without the anima banners?
                        The action, not so much in my opinion. But turning the Uruks against each other did make me feel like an Eclipse at times.

Comment

Originally posted by Oriares View Post

The action, not so much in my opinion. But turning the Uruks against each other did make me feel like an Eclipse at times.
                          It can be kind of, once you have all the upgrades to everything you'd make a pretty good combat focused night caste. Ghosting around the battlefield, blink-striking dudes for instant kills, taking on 60 battle hardened orcs.

Comment

Originally posted by DrLoveMonkey View Post

It can be kind of, once you have all the upgrades to everything you'd make a pretty good combat focused night caste. Ghosting around the battlefield, blink-striking dudes for instant kills, taking on 60 battle hardened orcs.

True enough.

Comment

Oddly enough, I found the final battle scene to represent everything I dislike about Exalted and the player mindsets.

From saurons point of view, his goal was the taking of the mountain for strategic reasons, smaug as an ally would have been a bonus.

What is happening? An army of Dwarves, an Army of Elves and some humans are all going to kill each other. All of which are your enemies.

So why the hell don't you use your worms to burrow the last couple foot ball fields worth of distance into the mountain itself so the entire orc army can have a fortified position while their enemies kill each other? Not to mention that being inside a mountain is a very good giant eagle defense.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the dwarven war mounts as well as a few other things, but some of the stupidity just makes my head hurt.

Comment

Working...
                              X