X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DrLoveMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Lioness View Post
    I really wish they had fixed the early installment weirdness with V'neef Risa instinctively knowing her place.
    Are you referencing how she blindly took orders from her idiot Winglord or how she abandoned her entire life at the behest of a Solar Anathema?

EDIT:

Nevermind, just re-read her writeup in scroll of exalts, and its definitely weird. She grows up her entire life dreaming of being a steadfast hero who would fight to the death against raksha and anathema, and in an instant a dawn caste changes her motivation to, essentially "whatever my new lord wants."
    Last edited by DrLoveMonkey; 12-23-2014, 10:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lioness
    replied
    I really wish they had fixed the early installment weirdness with V'neef Risa instinctively knowing her place.

Leave a comment:

• phalamir
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
    My Exalted lore is getting a little rusty, but IIRC...

A Wing of Imperial Legionairies (not the Wyld Hunt) has the Bronze Tigers on the ropes. Backs to a river, about to be slaughtered.
    Dace calls out to the Winglord (Ragara Fucian?) that he's spineless and they should settle this Mano-e-mano.
    That Damn Girl strongly advises the Glorious Reader not to accept the challenge.
    Glorious Reader takes this as an affront and agrees to fight Dace,
    That Damn Girl begs Glorious Reader to at least let her fight in his place because he's a useless spoiled brat who only got to lead the army because he wasn't adopted.
    Glorious Reader will not be swayed.
    Dace decapitates him in one blow (must have banked a lot of "Momentum").
    Dace says he could use someone like Risa and she becomes the Twice Lost Egg.

Not saying it isn't totally boss to challenge the Wyld Hunt to single combat. Just that I don't think Dace ever did it.
    Well, technically Complete Waste Of Carbon knew there was a Glowy Bastard out there, so if Wyld Hunt = any group knowingly going after Glowy Bastards, then it was a Wyld Hunt. I personally not count CWOC's Non-Excellent Misadventure as a Wyld Hunt, but if we're going with the expansive definition, it fell within the parameters.

Otherwise you are correct in the sequence of events. Though it shouldn't have been hard for Dace to behead CWOC since his only known Charm was Workplace Sexual Harrassment Perfecction Technique.

Leave a comment:

• JohnDoe244
    replied
    Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
    Saw one in 1st... Dace CHallenged a dragon blooded to a Duel she wanted to refuse but her men gave her glances suggested they'd mutiny if she didnt accept,l so she accepted...and died...
    My Exalted lore is getting a little rusty, but IIRC...

A Wing of Imperial Legionairies (not the Wyld Hunt) has the Bronze Tigers on the ropes. Backs to a river, about to be slaughtered.
    Dace calls out to the Winglord (Ragara Fucian?) that he's spineless and they should settle this Mano-e-mano.
    That Damn Girl strongly advises the Glorious Reader not to accept the challenge.
    Glorious Reader takes this as an affront and agrees to fight Dace,
    That Damn Girl begs Glorious Reader to at least let her fight in his place because he's a useless spoiled brat who only got to lead the army because he wasn't adopted.
    Glorious Reader will not be swayed.
    Dace decapitates him in one blow (must have banked a lot of "Momentum").
    Dace says he could use someone like Risa and she becomes the Twice Lost Egg.

Not saying it isn't totally boss to challenge the Wyld Hunt to single combat. Just that I don't think Dace ever did it.

Leave a comment:

• Matt the Bruins fan
    replied
    Originally posted by Dominostro View Post
    Another thought is to have a group of mostly green or less than devote dynasts being led by a Peleps Deled type fanatic. Leader goes down swinging and the rest most of whom weren't too keen on becoming the Anathema's next trophy make a big deal out of reclaiming the body and swearing vengeance but are mostly just interested in getting the hell out of there.
    "You win this round, anathema, but when next we met you'll find the tables have turned."
    "I'm still standing right here."
    "I SAID, when NEXT we meet!"

Leave a comment:

• Prince of the Night
    replied
    Saw one in 1st... Dace CHallenged a dragon blooded to a Duel she wanted to refuse but her men gave her glances suggested they'd mutiny if she didnt accept,l so she accepted...and died...

Leave a comment:

• nalak42
    replied
    Originally posted by light-hero View Post
    To the op: have the wyld hunt make a formal duel.
    Actually there was at least one incident in second where a solar tried handling his wyld hunt like that. It actually didn't end that badly.

Leave a comment:

• light-hero
    replied
    To the op: have the wyld hunt make a formal duel.

Leave a comment:

• Prince of the Night
    replied
    "Wait I only have a War of 2,?! 2!!!? But I did so well in the house of bells... and Intelligence 2?! Im not a genius?!!? this is cheating whoever wrote this thing I'll find them, and hold a knife at their throats to get them to give me a 10 in all attributes, abilitys 10 in essence, , and every known dragon blooded charm!?"

Leave a comment:

• Lioness
    replied
    Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
    oh curious?

Tepet lisara, or Cathak Draegoth.

How vulnerable are they to Verdant emptyness endowment, especialy if Use it to make them competent

or is that impossible?
    I don't think Lisara is self-aware enough to be an easy target for Verdant Emptiness Endowment.
    She thinks she can solo a Celestial Exalt to get her career back on track, I'm pretty sure that her heart would break if she actually saw her own character write-up.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    With Lookshy, I'd say it's more... Lookshy does not engage in Wyld Hunts, people who come from there do. Realm Wyld Hunts are much more institutionalized (which can include people who aren't really interested in the spiritual qualities joining with or being drawn into them).

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Originally posted by phalamir
    The Ottomans were not a ravening horde; you're thinking of the Mongols.
    The Ottomans were new kids on the block who expanded through European territories with terrifying speed and seeming invincibility, showing themselves as extremely troublesome to ancient and prestigious kingdoms like Hungary.

Hungary which was also founded by a ravening horde from the East, incidentally. And which was called Hungary (even though the people are called Magyars) as a reference to the Huns, whom they were seen as a kind of contemporary renewal of.

Hell, Catherine the Great's expansionist Russia was viewed as a ravening horde from the East; that was rhetoric still going into the reign of her grandson, and invoked by Napoleon to justify his invasion.

Persians, Huns, Magyars, Arabs, Mongols, Turks, Slavs... Europe has a long history of being invaded by highly successful Asian groups, and it tends to be part of the continental rhetoric to kind of conflate them together.

The Ottomans in particular were viewed as such a threat to the whole of Christendom at the time that a significant priority of the Catholic Church was to foster cooperation, if not unity, between European nations lest they all be taken down one by one*; it's not often remembered that this was a major component of Thomas Wolsey's diplomatic maneuverings.

Which, in fairness, was a good call to make; the victories generally viewed as undermining the image of Ottoman invincibility came from Leagues rather than any individual nation (although the ultimately fragility of European cooperation was part of why some of them started courting Turkey as an ally).

Of course, another reason to ally with the Ottomans was because they were one of the biggest enemies of the Russians, and many Europeans viewed it as preferable for competing Eastern hordes to rave at one another rather than at Europe. If the Ottomans were considered preferable allies to the Russians, well, they might have been heathens, but at least they were civilized (and also extremely rich).

* If this sounds a lot like The Lord of the Rings, that's because the image reverberates in a few places in our culture as well.

Leave a comment:

• Godjaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Aquillion View Post
    SNIP.
    I disagree vehemently.

The Immaculate Order is there to legitimize the Scarlet Empire and to create a stable platform of control over Creation. The Wyld Hunt was one of those responsibilites it had, but the Bronze Faction wanted a center of stability and control in Creation, that is the Scarlet Empire and it's expansionist methods. They didn't make the Empire to have lackeys to throw at Anathema. That's absurd. The Immaculate Faith was created to legitmize the superiority and rule of Dragonblooded, and professes self improvement and enlightenment, and denounces Anathema. The Order is more a political tool, with it's Mouth of Peace, the Faith is more a dogma, a relic of the Shogunate.

The Anathema are just as much of a threat to Lookshy as they are to the Empire. They have a strong Dragonblooded identity and are strongly in Immaculate Faith. Yes they don't have a designated Wyld Hunt institution. This is because there are constant patrols across the Riverlands and any one of those patrols can enact a Wyld Hunt if necessary. The Wyld Hunt for the Empire is an institution, the Wyld Hunt of Lookshy is a military activity.

Should Lookshy tell different stories than the Realm? Yes. Lookshy is a united Dragonblooded group where the Realm is on the brink of civil war. They're a military state, where the Empire is basically now run by self-interested Great Houses. Lookshy military efforts are expanding it's influence. The Realm is shrinking as it's resources are called back to the Isle. Lookshy serves the part of a pressing threat to Solars/Anathema in the Riverlands, where there is often little guaranteed threat or resistance. Their legions are often on patrols, and have garrisons throughout. Do they actively hunt them? No there are no patrols searching out Anathema, but if one is discovered you can bet one such patrol will enact a Wyld Hunt after them. It is incredibly unlikely for them to ally with one, unless a much more pressing matter or greater enemy is present. They know even temporary alliances can sway you under the Anathema's influence.

I forsee with the much more active Mask of Winters this time around, Immaculate Faith propaganda will be spread by Lookshy, speaking of the terrible "Anathema" that lead his armies, and to watch out for them, for they could be spies of the MoW.

Last edited by Godjaw; 12-22-2014, 05:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• phalamir
    replied
    Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
    Likewise, Mnemon dealing with the Mask of Winters is probably like some early modern European nations having alliances and open relations with the Ottoman Empire; sure you're a ravaging horde from out of the east that threatens to sweep over all civilisation, and we definitely believe that you're living in sin and are going straight to Hell,
    The Ottomans were not a ravening horde; you're thinking of the Mongols. And while they were definitely seen as Muslim outsiders i most of Europe, they were also seen as too seductive. When the Ottomans raided Cornwall for slaves (and, yes, the Ottomans raided England), and Charles II sent a delegate to negotiate a mass release, most stayed put - Algerian house slave was better than English dirt farmer. And the Voltarian Clusterf*ck was always worried local potentates would jump ship - which more than a handful did for better pay.

Leave a comment:

• Prince of the Night
    replied
    oh curious?

Tepet lisara, or Cathak Draegoth.

How vulnerable are they to Verdant emptyness endowment, especialy if Use it to make them competent

or is that impossible?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X