How to make a Wyld hunt Incompetent but not too incompetent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phalamir
    The Ottomans were not a ravening horde; you're thinking of the Mongols.
    The Ottomans were new kids on the block who expanded through European territories with terrifying speed and seeming invincibility, showing themselves as extremely troublesome to ancient and prestigious kingdoms like Hungary.

Hungary which was also founded by a ravening horde from the East, incidentally. And which was called Hungary (even though the people are called Magyars) as a reference to the Huns, whom they were seen as a kind of contemporary renewal of.

Hell, Catherine the Great's expansionist Russia was viewed as a ravening horde from the East; that was rhetoric still going into the reign of her grandson, and invoked by Napoleon to justify his invasion.

Persians, Huns, Magyars, Arabs, Mongols, Turks, Slavs... Europe has a long history of being invaded by highly successful Asian groups, and it tends to be part of the continental rhetoric to kind of conflate them together.

The Ottomans in particular were viewed as such a threat to the whole of Christendom at the time that a significant priority of the Catholic Church was to foster cooperation, if not unity, between European nations lest they all be taken down one by one*; it's not often remembered that this was a major component of Thomas Wolsey's diplomatic maneuverings.

Which, in fairness, was a good call to make; the victories generally viewed as undermining the image of Ottoman invincibility came from Leagues rather than any individual nation (although the ultimately fragility of European cooperation was part of why some of them started courting Turkey as an ally).

Of course, another reason to ally with the Ottomans was because they were one of the biggest enemies of the Russians, and many Europeans viewed it as preferable for competing Eastern hordes to rave at one another rather than at Europe. If the Ottomans were considered preferable allies to the Russians, well, they might have been heathens, but at least they were civilized (and also extremely rich).

* If this sounds a lot like The Lord of the Rings, that's because the image reverberates in a few places in our culture as well.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
    Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

With Lookshy, I'd say it's more... Lookshy does not engage in Wyld Hunts, people who come from there do. Realm Wyld Hunts are much more institutionalized (which can include people who aren't really interested in the spiritual qualities joining with or being drawn into them).

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
        oh curious?

Tepet lisara, or Cathak Draegoth.

How vulnerable are they to Verdant emptyness endowment, especialy if Use it to make them competent

or is that impossible?
        I don't think Lisara is self-aware enough to be an easy target for Verdant Emptiness Endowment.
        She thinks she can solo a Celestial Exalt to get her career back on track, I'm pretty sure that her heart would break if she actually saw her own character write-up.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

Plug for the Sword of Creation forum, a new hub for Exalted related content

Comment

"Wait I only have a War of 2,?! 2!!!? But I did so well in the house of bells... and Intelligence 2?! Im not a genius?!!? this is cheating whoever wrote this thing I'll find them, and hold a knife at their throats to get them to give me a 10 in all attributes, abilitys 10 in essence, , and every known dragon blooded charm!?"

Comment

To the op: have the wyld hunt make a formal duel.

Comment

Originally posted by light-hero View Post
              To the op: have the wyld hunt make a formal duel.
              Actually there was at least one incident in second where a solar tried handling his wyld hunt like that. It actually didn't end that badly.

Comment

Saw one in 1st... Dace CHallenged a dragon blooded to a Duel she wanted to refuse but her men gave her glances suggested they'd mutiny if she didnt accept,l so she accepted...and died...

Comment

Originally posted by Dominostro View Post
                  Another thought is to have a group of mostly green or less than devote dynasts being led by a Peleps Deled type fanatic. Leader goes down swinging and the rest most of whom weren't too keen on becoming the Anathema's next trophy make a big deal out of reclaiming the body and swearing vengeance but are mostly just interested in getting the hell out of there.
                  "You win this round, anathema, but when next we met you'll find the tables have turned."
                  "I'm still standing right here."
                  "I SAID, when NEXT we meet!"

Comment

Saw one in 1st... Dace CHallenged a dragon blooded to a Duel she wanted to refuse but her men gave her glances suggested they'd mutiny if she didnt accept,l so she accepted...and died...
                    My Exalted lore is getting a little rusty, but IIRC...

A Wing of Imperial Legionairies (not the Wyld Hunt) has the Bronze Tigers on the ropes. Backs to a river, about to be slaughtered.
                    Dace calls out to the Winglord (Ragara Fucian?) that he's spineless and they should settle this Mano-e-mano.
                    That Damn Girl strongly advises the Glorious Reader not to accept the challenge.
                    Glorious Reader takes this as an affront and agrees to fight Dace,
                    That Damn Girl begs Glorious Reader to at least let her fight in his place because he's a useless spoiled brat who only got to lead the army because he wasn't adopted.
                    Glorious Reader will not be swayed.
                    Dace decapitates him in one blow (must have banked a lot of "Momentum").
                    Dace says he could use someone like Risa and she becomes the Twice Lost Egg.

Not saying it isn't totally boss to challenge the Wyld Hunt to single combat. Just that I don't think Dace ever did it.

Hi, I'm JohnDoe244. My posts represent my opinions, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
                      My Exalted lore is getting a little rusty, but IIRC...

A Wing of Imperial Legionairies (not the Wyld Hunt) has the Bronze Tigers on the ropes. Backs to a river, about to be slaughtered.
                      Dace calls out to the Winglord (Ragara Fucian?) that he's spineless and they should settle this Mano-e-mano.
                      That Damn Girl strongly advises the Glorious Reader not to accept the challenge.
                      Glorious Reader takes this as an affront and agrees to fight Dace,
                      That Damn Girl begs Glorious Reader to at least let her fight in his place because he's a useless spoiled brat who only got to lead the army because he wasn't adopted.
                      Glorious Reader will not be swayed.
                      Dace decapitates him in one blow (must have banked a lot of "Momentum").
                      Dace says he could use someone like Risa and she becomes the Twice Lost Egg.

Not saying it isn't totally boss to challenge the Wyld Hunt to single combat. Just that I don't think Dace ever did it.
                      Well, technically Complete Waste Of Carbon knew there was a Glowy Bastard out there, so if Wyld Hunt = any group knowingly going after Glowy Bastards, then it was a Wyld Hunt. I personally not count CWOC's Non-Excellent Misadventure as a Wyld Hunt, but if we're going with the expansive definition, it fell within the parameters.

Otherwise you are correct in the sequence of events. Though it shouldn't have been hard for Dace to behead CWOC since his only known Charm was Workplace Sexual Harrassment Perfecction Technique.

Comment

I really wish they had fixed the early installment weirdness with V'neef Risa instinctively knowing her place.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

Plug for the Sword of Creation forum, a new hub for Exalted related content

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                          I really wish they had fixed the early installment weirdness with V'neef Risa instinctively knowing her place.
                          Are you referencing how she blindly took orders from her idiot Winglord or how she abandoned her entire life at the behest of a Solar Anathema?

EDIT:

Nevermind, just re-read her writeup in scroll of exalts, and its definitely weird. She grows up her entire life dreaming of being a steadfast hero who would fight to the death against raksha and anathema, and in an instant a dawn caste changes her motivation to, essentially "whatever my new lord wants."
                          Last edited by DrLoveMonkey; 12-23-2014, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
                            Hows that need Fixing?

I loved the question of nature vs nurture.

Edit: never mind was referring to the lines she gave in the Dawn Castebook about nature vs nurture.
                            Last edited by Prince of the Night; 12-23-2014, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phalamir View Post
                              Well, technically Complete Waste Of Carbon knew there was a Glowy Bastard out there, so if Wyld Hunt = any group knowingly going after Glowy Bastards, then it was a Wyld Hunt. I personally not count CWOC's Non-Excellent Misadventure as a Wyld Hunt, but if we're going with the expansive definition, it fell within the parameters.
                              Otherwise you are correct in the sequence of events. Though it shouldn't have been hard for Dace to behead CWOC since his only known Charm was Workplace Sexual Harrassment Perfecction Technique.
                              Out of morbid curiousity, would you like to try statting up that charm?

Comment

Out of morbid curiousity, would you like to try statting up that charm?
                                Cost: 3m; Mins: Socialize 3, Essence 3; Type: Supplemental
                                Keywords: Combo-OK, Emotion
                                Duration: Instant
                                Prerequisite Charms: Warm-Faced Seduction Style

Dragonblooded often make bold faced advances against their subordinates, and should those advances be rejected the dragon's fire shall remain as strong. This charm supplements an attempt to seduce a character subordinate to the user. She adds 2 dice to the attempt and should the attempt fail there shall be no negative repercussions towards the Dragonblood. For instance at a formal meeting regarding the defense of Greyfalls the Dragonblood may proposition his second in command for a night of kinky sex and should he be rebuffed none of the other officers present will protest. This charm may only be used once per scene against a given target.
                                Last edited by DrLoveMonkey; 12-23-2014, 10:34 PM. Reason: Hah, mispelled seduction as deduction.

Comment

Working...
                                X