[Ex3] Playtest Recruitment and Scheduling Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Ex3] Playtest Recruitment and Scheduling Thread

Since Ex3 is heading towards layout (unless Holden breaks his promise) and reviewing tabletop RPGs without playing them first is in poor form, I thought it'd be useful to start a thread so people can regroup playtest groups if they don't already have regular groups to play in. So here goes. Feel free to recruit for your own groups.

Game Title: The Burning Night
    Medium: IRC (Is there an official IRC server for Exalted?)
    Players: One player per Solar Caste, for a total of five players. Possibly one or two alternates in case something happens.
    Time: From 7PM to 12AM or 1AM EST on Monday, Thursday or Saturday. My schedule won't change any time soon, so it won't be a problem even if the PDF is only sent out in March or April because of indexing or whatever.
    Plot: An astrologist of Yane has been kidnapped. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the astrologist?
    Notes: This is primarily to try out the mechanics, so expect the plot to be paper-thin. I will want to try out all 25 Abilities and their associated rules, so I'll pick players accordingly. Don't worry too much about background Merits; whoever picks War as a favoured attribute will get an army from out of no where when I want to do the War playtest. Same thing for whoever picks Sail. I'll figure out the precise details later, but I'm planning a three-act structure with the characters at Essence 1, Essence 3 and Essence 5 so I can have a broader picture of how character progression goes and how powerful charms get. Rolls are going to be based on the honour system so I can finally get some use out of all my dice and I will post a full log of the session as an actual play up on my blog. I'm expecting this to be a one-shot game. If you're interested, you can send me a PM on the forums.

Last edited by Tiresias; 01-05-2015, 03:33 PM.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.
    [Ex3] Homebrew Solar Charms - I can see the future, and it is glorious.
    [Ex3] The Glass Library - My Exalted Third Edition Blog (Updated 24/04/2016)

I'm interested, current idea of the kind of character I want to play is a wandering monk (who uses kung fu, of course) from an order dedicated to making things better through the spread and usage of knowledge (with this character in particular specializing in using the healing arts to help people).

Exalted Whose Name is Carved in Leaves of Jade

Senator of the Greater Chamber

Comment

Ah, pity it's in the middle of the night for me. I'd be down to play my healer shaman Zenith. Hope you got a good group going, though.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

I am interested, and can do either Monday or Saturday at the times suggested. General concept would be a Twilight Astrologer (Apprentice or relative of kidnapped fellow). Likely to try and balance Sorcery with several abilities

Comment

I'm certainly interested in a game, but I don't know if I can fit a five hour session into my schedule. It depends on what time zone you are in.

Dead But Not Gone: Ghosts
          Ghosts: A Revision (2nd Edition)
          Masters of the Industrial Elements
          Upon the Rock of Tradition: The Memorial Exalted
          ​From The Crucible: Crafting As A Struggle

Comment

So... This game isn't going to be for a while (when the PDF comes out) and there will be only one session with three parts? I'm asking to gauge a time commitment.

I have an idea for a Eclipse Caste with a few Night Caste Favored abilities. Basically a Bureaucratic Spy who specializes in Forgery, Embezzlement, and Blackmail.

Favored Abilities:
            Lore, Investigation, Awareness, Martial Arts, and Larceny (I can switch out martial arts for another combat ability, depending on what is needed)
            Last edited by wonderandawe; 01-05-2015, 05:18 PM.

I write things.

Comment

Anal-retentive note: OP asked for interested parties to PM them; this thread seems to be meant to be a centralized "where people can put games they're interested in running," and perhaps "asking clarifying questions about listed games" as opposed to "also where signups happen."

Glorious Solar Kitten

Comment

Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
                So... This game isn't going to be for a while (when the PDF comes out) and there will be only one session with three parts? I'm asking to gauge a time commitment.
                That's about right. Getting six people to reserve the same 5-6 hour block is probably going to get complicated and I'd like to get a review up as soon as possible, so I decided to start planning early.

Originally posted by Aretii View Post
                Anal-retentive note: OP asked for interested parties to PM them; this thread seems to be meant to be a centralized "where people can put games they're interested in running," and perhaps "asking clarifying questions about listed games" as opposed to "also where signups happen."
                I don't really mind, but I figured it'd get confusing if other people start recruiting and there are three or four groups trying to coordinate in one thread.

[Ex3] Why Gods Need the Exigence - Plot hooks for Exigent characters of various gods.

Comment

@Tiresias Would it be better to construct characters yourself to make sure everything you want to test is covered? It might be hard to co-ordinate five people to make sure everything gets covered.

Comment

I could definitely be interested, depending on how my course schedule pans out for the next term, but Mondays would likely work best for me. I think I'd love to try out playing an Eclipse Caste of some sort.

Pronounced "Monkey Pie"

Find my actual play content here!

Comment

Before I toss my hat into the ring. I make very off the wall builds. SInce this is primarily to test mechanics would that be welcomed (get to see how non-conventional skills work together) or unwelcome (whats the point of reviewing a build few would ever use)?

Comment

Originally posted by Spaaace View Post
                        @Tiresias Would it be better to construct characters yourself to make sure everything you want to test is covered? It might be hard to co-ordinate five people to make sure everything gets covered.
                        Nah, that'd be too heavy-handed and I want to see what kind of synergies people go for.

Originally posted by Aeroz View Post
                        Before I toss my hat into the ring. I make very off the wall builds. SInce this is primarily to test mechanics would that be welcomed (get to see how non-conventional skills work together) or unwelcome (whats the point of reviewing a build few would ever use)?
                        Non-conventional skill combinations are more interesting than the obvious ones.

Comment

I've been letting this thread stew a bit to avoid getting too far ahead of the layout. And then I realized it had been a month since I did something with it. Heh.

Anyway, five people PMed me. It looks like the schedule doesn't quite line up, but then I had an idea. Instead of running one playtest, I can run two or three! Plus I can get more data points that way. If anyone's thread, send me a PM or just post in this thread.

It also recently occurred to me that not everyone will have a copy of the corebook PDF until it's up for sale on DriveThruRPG. If you didn't back the Kickstarter, please let me know so that I can duct tape an appropriate cheat sheet together.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiresias View Post
                            I've been letting this thread stew a bit to avoid getting too far ahead of the layout. And then I realized it had been a month since I did something with it. Heh.

Anyway, five people PMed me. It looks like the schedule doesn't quite line up, but then I had an idea. Instead of running one playtest, I can run two or three! Plus I can get more data points that way. If anyone's thread, send me a PM or just post in this thread.

It also recently occurred to me that not everyone will have a copy of the corebook PDF until it's up for sale on DriveThruRPG. If you didn't back the Kickstarter, please let me know so that I can duct tape an appropriate cheat sheet together.

Again, depending on time and such I am definitely interested in joining a playtest in some capacity.

Pronounced "Monkey Pie"

Find my actual play content here!

Comment

Originally posted by Tiresias View Post

Assuming the schedules are still the Monday, Thursday, Saturday lineup, I'd like to sign up for a spot on the Thursday squad.

Comment

Working...
                              X