[White Elephant] For Flintlock: Sidereal custom Charms and discussion on themes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Synapse View Post
    "You can have as many as [essence] purchases of DoR and [V]RE combined"?
    That doesn't work because you can have four purchases of (V)ER right away at E2. I'll probably say something like "each purchase reduces the total available of the other by one."

Book of the Emerald Circle
    Custom Sidereal Charms
    Expanded Sidereal Linguistics

Comment

[essence-VRE] then

Check my Exalted homebrew!

Comment

How about war or brawl?

Comment

What about War or Brawl?

Custom Sidereal Charms

Comment

Originally posted by Limited Reagent View Post
            What about War or Brawl?
            I think he was asking you to analyze them like you did the other Charms. I, personally, would be interested in possibly seeing some Occult/Bureaucracy stuff that would be more useful in Modern, if it wouldn't be too much trouble?

Comment

Nice analysis and interesting charms! I agree, I'd like to see more charm themes gone into!

In particular, Melee. I have this image for an alternate capstone, that goes something like: The Sidereal writes the Sutra on a prayer strip, which then flies over him, and elongates into a sword. As long as it hovers over him, it grants him (substantial buffs to his melee skills; possibly free Excellency use?). When the charm is terminated, whether through the Seer's actions or someone else's, the sword plunges and does a ST-rolled amount of Undodgable, Unsoakable damage, that can't be magically healed back (and no, even Perfect Defenses, either the Vizier's or someone else's, can't be used to avoid this effect).

This would make choosing to use one's full Melee power a gamble, which might be fitting if the theme of Melee is "Risk". But it could work with other themes as well...

Comment

I thought Sidereal Melee is about Control (the flow of battle and conflict) ? It's kinda funny that Sidereal Melee charm follow the "Verb + preposition + Noun" formula very closely, and the Verb always invoke a feeling of peacefulness among the bloody battlefield: Harmony Of Blows, Meditation On War, Serenity In Blood, Smiling At The Damned. And the capstone turn you into a blind swordman who cry bloody tear !

I can certainly see some social-fu in Sid Melee that are steathier than the Presence "Do what I Say !", like direct the conversation toward the subject of the character liking ("maybe we should talk about that guy ugly hair instead of mine"), or stopping the flow of interaction (End Debate?), with a following charm that make it so the flow has been concentrate so much that it overflow like a broken dam ("Urrggh, I can keep it anymore, Demetheus, I LOVE YOU !").

The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrir666 View Post

I think he was asking you to analyze them like you did the other Charms. I, personally, would be interested in possibly seeing some Occult/Bureaucracy stuff that would be more useful in Modern, if it wouldn't be too much trouble?
                  Hmm, is Brawl Throne Shadow Style, or is Brawl 1e Sidereal Brawl Charms? They both have their own theme, and are very different. As for War...

War

"Helping troops without leading" with a side of "fucking up Creation's enemies in mass combat."

That's the best I've got. It's pretty vague. Almost all the Charms do this. It makes enough sense, the Sidereals being advisors and teachers and all that. The secondary theme is "fuck up Creation enemies". Otherwise, you've got some Charms that key more on the fate-style of Sidereal Charms, like Auspicious Recruitment Drive (probably my favorite Sidereal War Charm because it keys so much off of fate manipulation), and some spirit-related effects (Training Mandate of War God Puissance). You might think Training Mandate of Celestial Puissance is a fate-y effect, but it's not, really. It just lets you use other fate manipulation on a particular group of people, and in a very particular way (limiting the astrological effects to the House of Battles). The Charm does nothing on its own.

The only other stand-out is the prayer strip Charm, which is a cool effect that frankly I can't see how it fits the whole theme of the tree. Unless you consider "summoning a big spirit of Creation to help you out" a mirror to "fuck up Creation's enemies."

It's no real surprise the War Charms don't have a strong theme; the tree didn't exist in 1e. In 1e, the Predestined Triumph Practice and Essence-Draining, Demon-Blocking, Spirit-Binding Patterns were part of Presence, which made a lot of sense, as Presence was all about subtle imposition of will (as I described in the first post in this thread). Predestine Triumph, in this case, was a very subtle fate-style Charm which penalized anyone fighting against the Sidereal's favored leader when planning a battle. Essence-Draining and Demon-Blocking Battle Patterns build off that, disrupting Essence flows via troop movements for various effects. Then finally Spirit-Binding Battle Pattern, which is a great show of the theme of Presence, as the Sidereal summons and forces a spirit to fight at their side.

Auspicious Recruitment Drive didn't exist in 1e, nor did Chaos-Quelling and Ghost-Banishing Battle Patterns or any of the Training Mandates. Red Haze was a Resistance Charm.

I think the errata team did their best to make 2e War function, but there was only so much they could do to get a good theme out of it. I think it falls flat. Integrity suffered the same problem but I think the errata team did a better job pulling all the various bits together into a more unified whole.

As for your question, Fenri, I don't have any particular ideas for Occult or Bureaucracy Charms at the moment, especially not for Modern (which I've never played), mostly since I'm not playing Exalted with the Exalted system right now. You've already seen the one and only Bureacracy Charm I wrote, Remove Distraction, in the first post.

Originally posted by Hand-of-Omega View Post
                  This would make choosing to use one's full Melee power a gamble, which might be fitting if the theme of Melee is "Risk".
                  Originally posted by Jen View Post
                  I thought Sidereal Melee is about Control (the flow of battle and conflict) ?
                  I agree with Jen:

Melee

"Controlling the battle," as in the tactical flow of combat.

Melee's pretty basic, and that's not surprising. It's basically doing what Dawn Solution War is doing for Solars. To be honest I think the Sids could steal more of of those War Dawn Solution Charms for their own Melee to help round out the tree, as Melee is pretty sparse as it is.

I'll explain the theme a little more clearly. It's not like control like Presence does. Presence imposes. Melee is about options, and applying those options in the best possible way. All the Charms, more or less, in one way or another, ride on this.

Also, I do really like the naming schemes in the Charms. I'll go further than Jen and say that most of the Charms juxtapose peaceful words with battle words. This is clearer in 1e, when Orchestration of Mirrored Fates was called Orchestration of Conflict. (Really, sometimes reading through the Charm text in 1e is a great insight to the Sidereal themes; if you haven't done so I suggest checking it out.)

Harmony of Blows is a flurry Charm, but allows the use of any attack Ability, describing how the Seer need not choose one option over others. He can choose exactly what kind of attack is appropriate, all in an instant. Orchestration of Mirrored Fates is a counterattack Charm, which is a fundamental way to control a battle. The Essence 4+ upgrade strengthens this as the Sidereal can counter attacks that don't even attack her, allowing her to punish exactly those attacks and foes she desires. Impeding the Flow is more a fate-style Charm, but is along the similar vein of punishing attackers with the cumulative external penalty. Serenity in Blood only fails when you've lost control, as someone you've benefited with your astrology attacks you. Meditation on War benefits you when you've brought friends to the battle, and more importantly, allows you to share your Overdrive motes with them, putting those motes where they will best be used. Smiling at the Damned deals agg, and a very specific amount of it. I'd say it's not the strongest in the theme, but agg against anyone is not common, and gives you another tool to chip someone away. Then Perfection of the Visionary Warrior, which is like Harmony of Blows on steroids with the added bonus of having Fivefold Bulwark Stance going. The Essence 4+ effect allows you to stock reflexives, a potent tactical tool that allows for the implementation of even more options as you desire.

As for new Melee Charm ideas, I'd say they should revolve around granting more tactical options in combat. As for social-fu, I don't see much of it. Maybe some Shadow-Fingers style stuff branching off of Meditation on War, helping those you've instructed further. Or maybe UMIs that lock down enemies' options, disallowing them from making certain tactical choices.

Hand-of-Omega, I don't see the "Risk" theme at all in Melee, sorry to say. Maybe you can elucidate?

Custom Sidereal Charms

Comment

Any chance you might be able to pull off a Sidereal equivalent of an Elsewhere charm? Destiny-Knitting Entanglement doesn't quite give the ease of access, and I like the idea of a Sidereal always being able to go "Oh, this is the box/alcove/shrubbery where I stashed my staff" wherever they are.

Comment

Blast from the past! I haven't checked this forum in ages. So, three months after the request, I'll throw down a custom Charm I wrote ages ago for a character that should fit exactly what you wanted (no fancy descriptions of the Ability this time, though, because I'm lazy):

Mantle of Misplaced Things
                      Cost: —; Mins: Craft 3, Essence 3; Type: Permanent
                      Keywords: None
                      Duration: Permanent
                      Prerequisite Charms: Destiny-Knitting Entanglement

This Charm permanently upgrades Destiny-Knitting Entanglement, allowing the Sidereal to "hang" owned objects in fate by activating the Charm and indefinitely committing the two motes used. While these motes are committed, fate conspires to keeps the object within ready reach, no matter where the Seer may go. This is functionally the same as keeping the object Elsewhere — safe from unwanted detection, permanent theft, or undue damage — though it is actually hidden amongst the scenery or with extras. The Sidereal may have only up to (Essence) objects hung in fate this way at any given time. At any point, the Exalt may end the commitment to find and ready his object in a miscellaneous action, so long as the object be physically hidden there — the character could not uncover his carriage inside a tea house. Thus larger objects may require more time to show up or find, though usually no more than a few actions.

This Charm costs four experience points if favored, or five if unfavored.

Custom Sidereal Charms

Comment

Working...
                      X