X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limited Reagent
    replied
    Originally posted by Jen View Post
    Since Linguistic is about binding things, would a charm that let you grapple using poem would be too out-of-place :'3
    Oh my no, that is a wonderful idea. Oh, it'll be perfect. I will write something like that up very soon, I feel.

Re Omicron: To keep on topic, what immediately comes to mind as an interesting Larceny Charm, at least, is one that reverses other Charms' effects. After all, a good thief can steal, but a better thief can plant. Being able to boost others' pools by penalizing yourself, or planting thoughts or dreams, or forcing others to seem like demons or fae, or granting people names... there are a lot of possibilities there. Just might be, well, extremely hard to balance.

---

I've also got some Firearms Charms in the works, so in the next couple days I'll probably have some new Charms to post up.

Leave a comment:

• Omicron
    replied
    Originally posted by Limited Reagent View Post

Thanks. What does your Sidereal focus in? What kinds of things would you like the character to be able to do which Sidereal Charms don't allow? That's how I started; I had a character concept that, while it fit Sidereals very well, had things I wanted the character to be able to do that weren't available to them.
    Spoilered to avoid hijacking the thread.
    Hajime is a Chosen of Secrets favoring Athletics/Performance/Awareness/Martial Arts. The trick is, I took these abilities because I was interested in their earliest Charms - Excellencies, super-jumping, super-strength, Heart-Brightening Presentation Style... And so I could bring them to 5 for cheaper. I never actually bought a single Awareness Charm! So my character deviated pretty fast from these favored skills and turned to mastering Crystal Chameleon Syle and then learning PAoC. He had more luck with Larceny and Stealth - I play on the contrast between his "standard" stealth (invisibility and disguise) and his "blatant" stealth (Crystal Chameleon Charms), and he's had some success as a saboteur.

The original idea of the character was something like Teenage Captain America meets Spider-Man meets Chrono Harlown, but so far he's filled the same combat niche as a D&D rogue, and been the group's astrologist and party face. Unfortunately, for all that Simple Astrology uses a Charisma + Performance roll that the Fateful Performance Excellency lets you turn to automatic successes, there isn't a lot more synergy between the two skills, and I'm not sure if I should be fixing that with homebrew; doesn't quite fit the theme of Performance. My problem is that I don't really know where to go with his native skills - Occult is partially nun-functional in Modern due to the absence of a divine bureaucracy, Hajime's not all that into Lore Charms, and Investigation is dreadfully short. I am now in the irritating situation of not wanting to purchase higher in the trees of most of my Abilities and to be instead drooling over Craft and Integrity, but it's a trap - these too I would only buy the lowest Charms in each tree (oh WSAV, you are love).

Making custom Charms hadn't occured to me so far, but now that I have seen this thread... I might try to push Larceny and Stealth a bit farther; perhaps refine the "steal thoughts" aspect of Larceny into something more effective. And putting Charms in Athletics that are not Juggernaut "run headlong" because as cool as they are, I don't have use for them; I want to be a teenage superhero. Sort of.

Leave a comment:

• Jen
    replied
    Since Linguistic is about binding things, would a charm that let you grapple using poem would be too out-of-place :'3

Leave a comment:

• Limited Reagent
    replied
    Originally posted by Omicron View Post
    This is wonderful and I am storing this thread and nagging my ST to allow me some of these. To my sorrow, my current Sidereal character could only buy three of these Charms at favored costs, but no matter; I'll pay the harsh price if I can have them.

And the discussion of the Ability's themes and comments on each Charms is very useful, too. Thank you!
    Thanks. What does your Sidereal focus in? What kinds of things would you like the character to be able to do which Sidereal Charms don't allow? That's how I started; I had a character concept that, while it fit Sidereals very well, had things I wanted the character to be able to do that weren't available to them.

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
    Analyze Firearms!
    Oh I will. I could probably do it right now, but I'll wait till I have a custom Firearms Charm or two done. My Sid uses Firearms primarily, so I've got reason to think about it.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Vance
    replied
    Analyze Firearms!

Leave a comment:

• Omicron
    replied
    This is wonderful and I am storing this thread and nagging my ST to allow me some of these. To my sorrow, my current Sidereal character could only buy three of these Charms at favored costs, but no matter; I'll pay the harsh price if I can have them.

And the discussion of the Ability's themes and comments on each Charms is very useful, too. Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• Kazorh
    replied
    I enjoy the name, by the way, which basically means 'carefully beginning again,' and it has a nice ring to it in my opinion.
    I'm not sure I'd use "carefully". Assiduous has a connotation of persistence. Diligently, maybe. Merriam-Webster tells me sedulously ("involving or accomplished with careful perseverance"), but I had seriously never even seen that word before today.

Oh, and your charms are pretty good. Yeah, that too. :P

But seriously, I'm really enjoying them, and the little (or not-so-little) comments on themes and such.

Leave a comment:

• Limited Reagent
    replied
    Thank you! I'm really glad you like it, Flintlock, and hope you can find some a way to get use out of these. And thank you too, 39Steps, for commenting. I like to think I'm a pretty good Charm writer after doing it all these years, but it's nice to hear a compliment about it.

And I haven't stopped making Sidereal custom Charms so I thought, why not keep the thread updated?

Integrity

"Preservation and dedication," with a small emphasis on the sacrifice of self for those purposes.

A fine theme for Integrity, which is a tenacious Ability anyway. Still, from it comes a degree of 'keep the status quo' at a higher level of concept than say Solar Integrity hits upon, which gives Sidereal Integrity a different feel. The minor feeling of self-sacrifice mirrors Resistance to a degree and gives the same feeling that, while the Ability is about protecting yourself, you have to give something up in the process. Not something seen in all the Charms, but it's there enough that I think it's part of the theme.

(Virtue) Essence Replenishment is extremely generic and would be better if it were actually split and put into the trees of the secondary Abilities. It doesn't really fit Integrity's theme at all, nor any general Sidereal theme of fate or spirits. Preservation of Resolve clearly does, and ties back to being a vizier. Unwavering Well-Being Meditation fits that well enough, along with Creation-Preserving Will. Unhearing Dedication ties more to dedication than preservation. Death-of-Self Meditation definitely ties to preservation and dedication both, along with that sacrifice of self -- you keep yourself going, eschewing all but your magically-empowered Intimacy. Then finally One Direction Invocation, where you pick a goal to dedicate yourself to, lose your name in the process, forgotten by the world, and become greatly empowered to finish that goal.

Assiduous Recommencement
    Cost: —; Mins: Integrity 3, Essence 3; Type: Permanent
    Keywords: None
    Duration: Permanent
    Prerequisite Charms: (Virtue) Essence Replenishment

Slowly and steadily the Sidereals persevere, strengthening their commitment to destiny for future times of need. The player picks one Virtue when purchasing this Charm, for which the character has (Virtue) Essence Replenishment purchased. This Charm can be purchased multiple times for additional Virtues, if the Sidereal has the appropriate prerequisite Charms.

Whenever the Sidereal would recover one or more Willpower points from natural recovery, this Charm gives the character the option to recover one appropriate Virtue channel instead.

If the Sidereal also knows Unhearing Dedication, she may replace the award from stunts that support the chosen plan with one appropriate Virtue channel. If she has One Direction Invocation active, she may do the same with stunts that support the chosen goal. If she knows Auspicious Prospects for (Caste), the Sidereal may do the same with stunts that support fulfilling the fate told to her by using that Charm. Other Charms along similar lines may allow the same, with Storyteller discretion.

A Virtue channel regenerator. I enjoy the name, by the way, which basically means 'carefully beginning again,' and it has a nice ring to it in my opinion. This Charm was obviously made to be used in conjuction with (Virtue) Essence Replenishment, hence why it's in Integrity. Still, I tried to at least tie it back to some other Charms in the tree with the stunt thing with Unhearing Dedication and One Direction Invocation. The Auspicious Prospects for (Caste) was a side-addition, appropriate I thought with its strong ties to fate -- and really, that Charm doesn't get much love.

The reason I chose natural recovery (ie sleep) for the way this Charm regains channels is (1) because its half of what the Solar equivalent Phoenix Renewal Tactic does and what the Lunar equivalent Sacred Guardian Renewal doesn't have, and (2) that it fits the preservation theme of the tree, and the small emphasis Sidereals have toward planning in advance. If you can find the time to take a few days to regain those channels, (Virtue) Essence Replenishment can be extremely powerful. But, who has days to kill?

Disposition of Resources
    Cost: —; Mins: Integrity 5, Essence 3; Type: Permanent
    Keywords: Native, Obvious
    Duration: Permanent
    Prerequisite Charms: None

As Sidereals entwine themselves with the fate of the world, they are uplifted by it in return. Each hour spent tending to fate and destiny — planning, crafting, researching, manipulating, etc. — recovers three motes of Essence. If the Sidereal has Unhearing Dedication, time spent pursuing the chosen plan also counts toward this. Disposition of Resources can be purchased up to (Essence) times. Each additional purchase increases the number of motes recovered per hour by one. Each purchase also counts as a purchase of one of the (Virtue) Essence Replenishment Charms, and vice versa.

In addition, each purchase increases the Sidereal's Personal Essence Pool by seven motes. This Essence cannot be committed to artifacts, and can only be recovered with the above method or Essence-recovery Charms such as (Virtue) Essence Replenishment.

This Charm is also available in Resistance, Craft, War, and Lore. Each purchase from any Ability counts toward the maximum number of purchases.

A Sidereal version of a mote-pool expander. You might thing that with (Virtue) Essence Replenishment being so good, especially with Assiduous Recommencement making channels more available, why would you need a mote-pool expander? Well, because it's nice to have options. Even so, they synergize, since (V)ER is one of the few Essence-recovery Charms around, and a very good one; you can use it to refill the pool granted by this Charm without having to tend to fate. The reason purchases of this Charm count as purchases of (V)ER and vice versa is that I have the feeling they synergize too well. So, the more you have of one, the less you have of the other.

This Charm is definitely different than its equivalent Solar and Lunar Charms because it gives personal motes, not peripheral. But only 7m, not 10m. One of the things with Sidereals is having a small mote pool, and this preserves that to some degree. Another Sidereal thing is subtlety (their anima isn't even as bright) and having it be personal emphasizes that. Plus, I think it's a neat difference.

Why I made the mote-recovery effect what it is should be obvious: it ties directly back to the Sidereal theme of fate manipulation. The nod to Unhearing Dedication ties back to this being in Integrity (the reason I put it here is partly because (V)ER is here, and partly because spending lots of time to tend to fate fits the preservation and dedication theme well). Finally the choice of what other Abilities this Charm is available in: Resistance for Journeys because none of the others seemed to make much sense, and Resistance is the most 'passive' of the ones available. Craft for Serenity because Craft's theme is "Crafting fate" which this Charm grants motes by doing. War for Battles is a stretch, but again none of the rest seemed to fit so might as well go with the most general of Abilities, the one that ties the most back to planning and logistics. Lore for Secrets because Lore is the most directly fate-based of the trees.

I also enjoy the name of this one, being direct and almost bland, something of a motif in Endings Charms, is a very bureaucratic-sounding phrase (which amuses me) and ties back to that sort of slow-and-steady preservation feel that Integrity Charms tend to have, and has 'disposition' which archaically meant 'determination of events eg by a divine power,' which I thought was cool and appropriately Sidereal.
    Last edited by Limited Reagent; 01-06-2014, 08:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 39Steps
    replied
    Truly, this is a boon to all Sidereal players. Do you (LimReag) even realize how good this stuff is? If so, why aren't you insufferably conceited? Whatever the cause, this is great, useful, evocative stuff. Thank you for sharing it.

Leave a comment:

• Flintlock
    replied
    Ah! This is everything I wanted! You shouldn't have! <3 <3 <3

Leave a comment:

Working...
X