Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mnemon and the Empress's feeling toward each other ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seifus
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Later-seasons Abraham Simpson, for instance?

I had to :P.

Leave a comment:

• God_of_Awesome
    replied
    Originally posted by Jen View Post
    Big Red: Here's your lunch. I..It's not like I especially make it for you or anything. I...I just make too much. Geez ! Just take it already ! D...dummy !

Originally posted by Lioness View Post
    *Adds that to her list of Mnemon nicknames along with Little Red.*
    All Hail The MAGENTA EMPRESS!!!

Originally posted by phalamir
    That just doesn't make sense. Or, more precisely, it might have made sense early in her reign, but it hasn't made sense for centuries. It implies she literally has no control at all over any aspect of her Empire. No non-Sidereals exist from her early period. No one alive hasn't known life without her. She's effectively a geographical feature for the Realm. If one act of not-setting-fire-to-a-kitten is all that stands between her and total Realm implosion, then she had to have been actively destroying her own empire since the get-go. The full-bore uber-tyrant is something driven by insecurity and instability. A stable, vibrant polity leads to a ruler who can be as affable as he or she likes - and the fact that she is all everyone has ever known means she has been free to shape everyone's idea of what is right and proper from scratch. It takes a special, rare sociopath to decide on gratuitous Rome-burning in times of plenty. So unless you posit all DBs are straight up Sith Lords by genetic inevitability, the vast majority of her government should be relatively stable and loyal. Note that I didn't say they were not amibitious, nor that there were not power-hungry fools among them, nor that she was some bubble-headed Pollyanna; but the idea that a small Dynast child wanders out from the Imperial Apartments, states "Nana gave be a cookie", and suddenly 10,000 DBs all immediately shout "Time to burn this motherfucker down!" is absurd.

And I blame the presentation of the Empress and the Realm. She acts like the sort of openly psychotic paranoid schizophrenic that have famously short, unstable, and disastrous polities. Yet she's been on the throne for centuries and the Realm is both stable and prosperous (let's be honest, if after five years of no effective rule by anyone - coupled with what is outright described as EIC-levels of embezzlement by the Dynasts - your empire is just now getting to the point that some administrative ministries are sort of short on white-out, you have an absurdly stable and prosperous empire). If she ruled with the sort of gleefully tyrannical randomness described, her Realm should have been known as the 20 Year Dumpster Fire, Sword of Creation or no. The Realm should be having problems because of a malaise driven by losing its raison d'etre, not because Mrs. Dr. The Pol Pot didn't torture a family member at breakfast.
    So what you're saying is that instead of Nerogula, we should model Scarlet after Princess Celestia.

I'm okay with this.

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    The problem with describing a character such as Ragara as senile is that unless the reader has an elderly relative in that situation their preconceptions of how this character will behave will probably be influenced by some... less than respectful media portrayals of the elderly.
    Later-seasons Abraham Simpson, for instance?

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    The problem with describing a character such as Ragara as senile is that unless the reader has an elderly relative in that situation their preconceptions of how this character will behave will probably be influenced by some... less than respectful media portrayals of the elderly.
    I do like the idea that Ragara is aware of his own dementia, won't brook any condescension from his relatives, and still has a backhand as hard as granite on him.

Leave a comment:

• Colapso
    replied
    Well, I took 'ailing' to mean 'infirm' rather than 'senile', which is a difference, there - I did not know the widespread image on him was that he was flat-out senile. But when he appeared in my games, he was an infirm, constantly coughing and weak version of The Most Interesting Man in the World (or, well. Also 'an old man written by Warren Ellis' would be a good description. Or genderswapped Oleanna Tyrell.) A sarcastic, bitter, weak old man holding a wealth of secrets and magic that he is doling out, as he no longer cares about it, in a mostly arbitrary fashion, having 'seeing people jockey for my last favors' as one of his favorite past-times while he looks down on... basically everything of the Dynasty nowdays (particularly moving to replace Red when she's gone, and thus, not showing the proper balls to do it to her face. Shameful. He especially tells this to Tora, who is basically doing the same thing.) A bitter, sarcastic regent of a sycophant-court tossing pearls to the swine.
    Last edited by Colapso; 01-26-2015, 02:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• AnubisXy
    replied
    Originally posted by Colapso View Post
    Ragara was not only one of the coolest people in the setting in his day, but he is a VERY useful NPC.
    It seems opinions on Ragara run the gamut from, "No real use in a game," to, "His point is to have no real use in a game," to, "He is very useful in a game."

That's cool! How have you actually used in him in your games? Other than having him die, so that his house falls into chaos, or having him get some McGuffin to stop being senile, I haven't had much use with him as a character in any of my games.

What did you do with senile old Ragara to make him so useful?

Leave a comment:

• Lioness
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Colapso
    replied
    The 'pointlessness of Ragara' seems a bit confusing, to me.

We are talking about the guy who managed to become the wealthiest man in the Realm and RETAIN his position. The only living member of the Dynasty who attempted a coup on Scarlet and just got a dangerous... wrist-slapping over it. To say that the Empress likes Mnemon more than him is strange, since she was trying to keep her children alive... and that includes him, regardless of the fact he HAD attempted to usurp her. None other has been so lucky. He was given the stewardship of Sesus and Ledaal, and it was under his care that the words 'The Dynasty' have been born. And he is there, The Most Interesting Man in the World, living off his retirement and laughing at the last days of the empire he helped build.

Ragara was not only one of the coolest people in the setting in his day, but he is a VERY useful NPC.

Leave a comment:

• Shinjo
    replied
    Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
    It always felt a little pointless to have Ragara be a character in the setting and then present him as a senile, unimportant figure. The only thing I can think of that he ever really did was die in a boating accident in 1st edition Alchemicals.

I just wish they had presented him in a more competent light (as of Year Zero), old yes, but still wily, in charge of his House and plotting for the upcoming civil war. The one time I used him a game, that's how I had him; a secret puppetmaster who was only faking his infirmity in order to throw off his rivals.
    Ragara exists to be the Denny Crane to the PC's Alan Shore. Someday I will play that character, I swear.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Although, a bit of unity in the Realm probably always felt like a priority when faced with the threat of the Lunars, who can have some... novel methods of assassination and sabotage.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    The Critic. Underappreciated gem.

Leave a comment:

• Mizu
    replied
    What show is that and is it on netflix/hulu?

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Unless she's just got an ingrained problem with subtlety around her mother...

Leave a comment:

• Mizu
    replied
    If Mnemon is treacherous and disloyal she is really patient about it considering she exalted when she was 12 and is now 400ish. 378 years of waiting to unveil her treacherous plans of disloyalty.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    I think my prior comments were made from a position of contrarianism reinforced by obstinance, and are basically mistaken. I'd still maintain that issues with her mother, even a basic dislike for her, is no cause for Mnemon to be disloyal or treacherous, and she's much more interesting when that is not the case.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X