Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mnemon and the Empress's feeling toward each other ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DrLoveMonkey
    replied
    The empress, I think, is intentionally an enigma. The most characterization she had outside of being a political badass is in RotSE where you find a tear stained pillow and red silk robe in her room in the Imperial Manse. Was she crying because her life is so easy that a bunch of little things set her off? Was she crying because the weight of the world is on her shoulders all day and she feels responsible for it? Is she crying because of the terrible person she's had to become to maintain order? Is she crying because everyone looks to her and she doesn't have all the answers?

Leave a comment:

• Mizu
    replied
    Well, Return of the Scarlet Empress confirmed that the Empress had a positive intimacy towards Mnemon. In story she also flat out told Ragara that if he killed his sister she would kill him, which implies that she at least liked her more then she liked Ragara.

As for Mnemon? It hasn't ever really been clarified how exactly she feels about mother beyond 'I'm content to let her stay on the throne and wait for my turn instead of trying to kill her and take it now'.

Leave a comment:

• Gensh
    replied
    I've always framed the Empress' struggle as one against public perception. It's very likely that she doesn't actually want to be the utterly ruthless tyrant she is, but she has to maintain that appearance in order to stay untouchable. The instant she shows weakness, schisms will form in the Realm, possibly leading to a cascade failure that leaves Creation unable to defend itself from the Thousand Dooms.

Mnemon isn't crazy by nature. We know she was relatively normal until Ragara tried to kill her on her birthday. Since then, Mnemon has learned to be very good at playing the game. She knows the rules better than anyone else and can skirt them, but is utterly incapable of breaking them. Mnemon is the Realm personified.

And that terrifies the Empress.

With the political climate what it was, she couldn't help doing a terrible job raising her earlier kids. By the time Mnemon came along, things were more stable, so she could afford time to oversee her development. Of course, she still had to maintain her harsh image, so all she could do was provide Mnemon with every opportunity. And like the Realm itself, she created a monster who nevertheless would be vitally important in maintaining the safety of Creation.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X