Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Archery 5

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Archery 5

    So, this dude's skill with a bow is insane, but what I love about all this trick shooting is that he bases it on historical techniques, the kinds of techniques archers in Creation would be likely to use. Also, this whole video is stunts and stunt fodder. I mean, some of his shots are basically Charm effects.



    We are Ten Thousand strong.

  • #2
    I have trouble believing some of this is actually real.


    Bits and pieces of Exalted setting.

    Comment


    • #3
      The remarkable thing is, I didn't see Lars do anything that would be impossible for a human expert to do - although some of it might require dozens of takes or insane luck.


      On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

      Avatar by K.S. Brenowitz

      Comment


      • #4
        While Lars is an accomplished, athletic and possibly ambidextrous archer, he is also clearly selling a load of ... manure in this clip.

        Good inspiration for Exalts though.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by SuddenThunder View Post
          While Lars is an accomplished, athletic and possibly ambidextrous archer, he is also clearly selling a load of ... manure in this clip.

          Good inspiration for Exalts though.
          This is funny as he doesn't say anything. He just performs a bunch of tricks with the bow.


          Come and rock me Amadeus.

          Comment


          • #6
            Lifestyle horse archers from the steppe would have almost universally been better.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by semicasual View Post
              The remarkable thing is, I didn't see Lars do anything that would be impossible for a human expert to do - although some of it might require dozens of takes or insane luck.
              Yeah, he probably had to do several takes for some of those crazier stunts and only shows us that time he pulled it off.


              Exalted Whose Name is Carved in Leaves of Jade

              Senator of the Greater Chamber

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by hippokrene View Post

                This is funny as he doesn't say anything. He just performs a bunch of tricks with the bow.

                Apologies ... Lars' narrator is selling a load of manure.

                He hits every possible 'bulslhit selling' technique. There's 'anchient manuscripts' (which he won't name), there's 'real vs hollywood archery' as though there weren't hundreds of years between the invention of the bow an use of celluliod. There's 'ancient persia said so', there's 'it's harder to learn to shoot in a way that's more simple and natural'. There's 'taking it to the third level'. There's 'No method is used' but 'it works is all positions'. There's the staged shots that never clearly show his technique, or both the origin and destination of his shots. And, of course, the facot that no-one but Lars has noticed any of this in serveral hundered years.

                A simple google search will show that there's quite some disagrrement about whether the demonstations are genuine, or whether the techniques are from 'ancient manuscripts' or a modern speed-shooting technique.

                What he does in this clips is very impressive, though ironically I think it's more likely that it's just visually impressive in the same way as the 'hollywood archery' he belittles. But there's nothing really demonstrated here.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SuddenThunder View Post


                  Apologies ... Lars' narrator is selling a load of manure.

                  He hits every possible 'bulslhit selling' technique. There's 'anchient manuscripts' (which he won't name), there's 'real vs hollywood archery' as though there weren't hundreds of years between the invention of the bow an use of celluliod. There's 'ancient persia said so', there's 'it's harder to learn to shoot in a way that's more simple and natural'. There's 'taking it to the third level'. There's 'No method is used' but 'it works is all positions'. There's the staged shots that never clearly show his technique, or both the origin and destination of his shots. And, of course, the facot that no-one but Lars has noticed any of this in serveral hundered years.

                  A simple google search will show that there's quite some disagrrement about whether the demonstations are genuine, or whether the techniques are from 'ancient manuscripts' or a modern speed-shooting technique.

                  What he does in this clips is very impressive, though ironically I think it's more likely that it's just visually impressive in the same way as the 'hollywood archery' he belittles. But there's nothing really demonstrated here.

                  Still useful for stunt fodder.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Exthalion View Post


                    Still useful for stunt fodder.

                    Never said it wasn't.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Almost every single one of his targets is within 5 meters. Historically archers were used in group formations from 100+ meters. Also, no they didn't not run around and jump off walls while they were shooting (well at least those in actual army engagements didn't). His technique is a speed shooting technique, that is fast and comfortable at close range. It however is not designed for accuracy.


                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Dunno about the more acrobatic stunts, but shooting arrows mid-flight is quite easy if they're boffers. I've got a 80%~ success rate at about 40m range. Arrows coming both my way and someone else's way.
                        So... it's more believable than it looks.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          When was the last time this fellow came up, and somebody linked to stuff meticulously detailing the fallacies and falsehood of it?


                          I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                          Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                          https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The problem is that there has been a lot of revisionist views on actual combat techniques, especially those from Western sources.

                            Consider the concepts of "half-swording" (grabbing the actual blade of your sword to change it's handling characteristics) or perhaps the completely counter intuitive technique of holding the sword completely by the blade and using the pummel end like a mace to deal with heavily armored attackers since the blade couldn't cut or pierce the armor. These techniques look insane, they at times are counter to common sense, but are historically accurate and were used for good reasons.

                            And for those who want a source, try the Talhoffer manuscript, which was the subject of the National Geographic documentary "Medieval Fight Book".

                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Talhoffer

                            As for archery, take a look at some of the trick shots done by Byron Ferguson, then consider that kind of skill being applied to counter intuitive techniques such as described in the Talhoffer manuscript or others from that time period and all of a sudden things start getting weird.

                            Then you put those facts and concepts in the hands of people who have little or no experience with the actual skills involved, and then you get forum discussions.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by TalosX View Post
                              Almost every single one of his targets is within 5 meters. Historically archers were used in group formations from 100+ meters. Also, no they didn't not run around and jump off walls while they were shooting (well at least those in actual army engagements didn't). His technique is a speed shooting technique, that is fast and comfortable at close range. It however is not designed for accuracy.
                              Yes and no.

                              Truly skilled archers (especially in Europe) were rare, due to it taking years of practice, being well fed and having good quality equipment. So the famous English Longbow man who used a bow which had a draw weight of 100 lbs. to 150 lbs. were the exception rather than the rule when it came to archers.

                              Thus most archers in medieval times were peasant conscripts with sub-par gear, little experience and probably little training. Thus you use a group of them and volley fire when ever possible.

                              Now crossbows changed a lot of this because for a long time they were more powerful than short bows and required no where near the amount of training and physical standards of say a longbow user.

                              So when one considers the meaning of "Archery 5", you are talking about a person who has trained for most of their life with high grade gear, learning every trick and every nuance. Such people would be the body guards of kings, rather than one of the rank and file.

                              Of course this is before we get to the subject of Exalted supposedly being a "Bronze Age" setting, rather than iron age, steel age or medieval setting. Which means if you look at real world archers from bronze age history, you see things like Egyptian nobles who were war archers that rode in war chariots. This means high mobility, decent accuracy and no possibility of volley fire. This makes the chariots and their archers more akin to say dog fighting air planes than formation fighting during military engagements.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X