Does House Cynis Need a Facelift?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does House Cynis Need a Facelift?

It feels as though they've been flanderized to hell and back.

I think if the books introduced a promising young military officer from House Cynis, the assumption would be that she was a promising young officer who earned her commission though while having an incestuous, drug-fueled orgy, and whose fighting skills revolved around ransacking villages for slaves, whipping slaves, and off-handedly murdering slaves.

The Dragon-Blooded book states that they can't get any allies among the other Houses, but lots of customers, so even the other DB apparently look down on the House of Hookers and Blow.

Come and rock me Amadeus.

What they need, in my opinion, are authors who try to actually include them in the Realm fluff. So far, Cynis NPCs have most often fallen into one of two categories, the completely depraved hedonist or the "rebel" who is disgusted by his or her house's ways. Now I don't mind those two stereotypes, they both make some kind of sense, but both of them did a poor job of making the House itself more than a running gag or at best the over the top example of "THAT is what's wrong with the Realm!!!"

I gotta admit I don't know every bit of Realm fluff in Ex2 so I might have missed some interesting NPCs there, but what I'd like for Ex3 would be some "middle of the road" Cynis NPCs. Military officers, political power brokers, whatever, just show us some Cynis who get something done in the Realm (because a House that doesn't have those people wouldn't have stayed a Great House for long) while still being loyal to their house. Give me people with depraved fetishes, incestuous affairs and so on who are at the same time capable soldiers or politicians and it would go a long way to make House Cynis more interesting to me.

Comment

Yeah, you can still accomplish stuff even if you're obsessed with hookers and blow. You can even accomplish stuff with hookers and blow, if you're Sesus Nagezzer.

Drug addicts can totally be accomplished and successful. The key is being wealthy and privileged enough that you can afford your addiction, ignore law enforcement (or get your favorite drugs legalized), and have the social support network to stay functional.
      Last edited by Erinys; 03-08-2015, 03:10 PM.

She/Her. I am literal-minded and write literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to make a joke.
      My point of view may be different from yours but is equally valid.
      Exalted-cWoD-ArM url mega-library. Exalted name-generators, Exalted and WTA stuff from me and others.

Comment

The presentation of House Cynis in 1e's The Dragon-Blooded is probably the best one, yeah.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
          The presentation of House Cynis in 1e's The Dragon-Blooded is probably the best one, yeah.
          Thats the one i go by. But then again, i tend to default to the 1st edition for most of the fluff except for the prevalence of magitech.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
            For those of us without easy reference to any 1e material, what was that like?

Glorious Echeladder Ascension Technique - Forum Topic

"Look, sometimes you just are in the mood to play the divinely empowered champion of the God of Farts. Mechanically optimized play is not the only way to enjoy playing your character." -Wise Old Guru

Comment

Originally posted by Ryumaru View Post
              For those of us without easy reference to any 1e material, what was that like?
              Like Flanders in the early seasons of The Simpsons: not one-note, capable of some variance and/or nuance.

He/him

Comment

I don't remember Flanders ever snorting coke off an underaged girl's thighs.

I myself, am okay with House Cynis being the house you'd expect such shenanigans.

Duly Elected Guild Hierarch of the Onyx Path Forums

http://northernfoxgames.com/

Comment

I think Cynis has been a little bit flanderised, but the Aspect books include many a debauched Cynis, so it's not just a 2nd ed thing.

Really, it's House Sesus that got flanderised, they went from "fire-based political house that charges satrapies less taxes than most and has a strong martial bent, and like all Houses has a few bad applies" to "we love rape and murder and looting, Sesus Chenow is our hero!"

To be honest, I don't really have a problem with Cynis being really decadent, my only issue is that it might make the other houses seem like they're not decadent, when really it's a whole class of entitled aristocrats who live for hundreds of years, have access to immense wealth, and believe they have the right to do whatever they like to the lower classes. Decadence and debauchery aren't going to be solely the preserve of on house. It's just that Cynis has access to more slaves, and more Medicine charms (so can get away with taking more drugs).

STing Bronze Age Exalted

Comment

Originally posted by The Revenge of TV Head View Post
                    I don't remember Flanders ever snorting coke off an underaged girl's thighs.
                    I'm referring to Flanders being more of a character, less of the caricature of himself that he became in later seasons.

House Cynis was also written to show a degree of nuance before someone apparently decided it was time to awkwardly staple stereotypes over it until you could no longer see the original.

I myself, am okay with House Cynis being the house you'd expect such shenanigans.
                    And I'm saying that if I'm running a mystery game and you guys find a twelve year-old's body with its organs missing and showing signs of having overdosed on drugs, and you conclude right then and there that only someone from House Cynis would've been fucked up enough to do this, you and I are gonna have a problem.

He/him

Comment

I'll take "Shit I did not actually fucking say" for 400 Alex.

Comment

Mostly, I blame the internet.

Somehow, Cynis became the go-to house for opulence and depravity whenever discussions of the Realm happen. Cynis might, in fact, be more opulent and depraved than the other houses according to the books, but that doesn't mean that other houses aren't opulent and depraved at all, or that being opulent and depraved is all that Cynis people ever do.

I admit to being a perpetuator of this unfortunate stereotype.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by The Revenge of TV Head View Post
                          I'll take "Shit I did not actually fucking say" for 400 Alex.
                          Aside from hypocritically complaining about my putting words in your mouth (after implying my position was that Flanders snorts coke off underaged girls) when the context is clearly hypothetical (Note the "if I'm running a mystery gameā€¦" bit), I'm not even referring to you specifically. That's a collective "you," preceded in the same sentence by another collective "you guys."

Seriously, calm down there.
                          Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 03-09-2015, 09:52 AM.

He/him

Comment

Look man, I dunno what your deal with Flanders doing weird shit with drugs and under age girls is, but you really need to drop it. I mean it's barely on topic.

Comment

I think part of the problem was that Second Edition was fixated on the original purpose of the Terrestrial Exalted and brushed aside their more recent trappings of noblity with deadly and decadent poltics in favour of pushing them as the Proud Warrior Race guys.

I recently talked about the veil dance mentioned in the coming-of-age ceremony back in the 1e Storyteller's Companion with some friends and a number of people found it too decadent for most of the Great Houses. It's an eye opener that people think House Cathak is so obsessed with military dicipline that celebrating a young Dragon-Blooded reaching adulthood with a striptease and a choice of courtesans is too decadent for them.

Cynis became a convenient dumping around for anything that didn't fit the Klingon-Blooded.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

Plug for the Sword of Creation forum, a new hub for Exalted related content

Comment

Working...
                              X