3E Mote Regen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3E Mote Regen

So, I was reading the books in some spare time and it reminded me...

In 2nd edition, you recovered your essence depending on your level of stress. Either 0, 4 or 8 per hour, depending on your level of strenuous activity. Personally, I never really liked this model. The Overdrive charms of the Ink Monkeys helped alleviate this problem, since you could take some thematic charm for yourself that allowed you to gain extra motes doing what you thought was interesting.

But still, the base itch wasn't scratched. It just seemed to me that Essence users of varying power and talent would be able to 'draw in' more motes than others, even when not thinking about it. We made a small house rule that you regained 1 extra mote of essence per hour per dot of Essence, but it never really caught the problem I felt.

So what do you think? Do you think mote respiration will be uniform again in 3e, or more varied? Naturally, with so much changing, it probably won't look exactly the same... but still, Im curious.

You'll be regaining 5m/turn in combat. No telling what the rate will be otherwise.

He/him

Comment

Man, I really hope it's not 4-8 motes an hour out of combat. That's just ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
        You'll be regaining 5m/turn in combat. No telling what the rate will be otherwise.
        Well then, I hope there are Charms or other abilities that will allow you to alter that for various benefits. Such as diverting some of the motes to an alternate effect, or simply increasing it by 2.

Or some such.

Comment

Originally posted by JayTee View Post
          Man, I really hope it's not 4-8 motes an hour out of combat. That's just ridiculous.
          Yeah, if that was the case it'd be more efficient to just do combat as a way to regen motes, which is silly. "Oh we just go finished our big battle, well let's spar for a few rounds to make sure everyone is back up to full strength. Ridiculous.

Comment

Sparring doesn't kick on the combat mote regen. It has to be genuinely perilous combat.

Thread Reaper <(´ ՞)ਊ( ՞ )>

Comment

Yeah, the only way that I can think of to abuse that would be to deliberately metagame an actual life or death struggle so that it lasts longer than it should, so you can control the motes you have at the end of the battle. This seems unfun, so I hope that it'll be unnecessary.
              Last edited by JayTee; 03-09-2015, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanandithras View Post
                Sparring doesn't kick on the combat mote regen. It has to be genuinely perilous combat.
                Yeah, this. I voiced this same objection to John or Holden when the 5m/turn thing was first revealed, and that was the essence of their answer. It was on the old forums, so I don't think I can find it now, but I gather that you cannot regain motes with:
                * Nonlethal sparring
                * Attacking people, objects, or animals that are no threat to you
                * Other strenuous exercises.

Apparently, the "danger" component is very important in getting the mote-regen overdrive to kick in. Possibly, you might be able to help a friend regain motes by doing your level best to murder them while they run away, but you won't be friends for long if you do that.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

The in-combat mote regen is basically the metaphysical equivalent of an adrenaline rush. You know the urban myth about some regular dude whose wife/kid/whoever is stuck inside a car and he hulks out and rips the door off? Like that, only the Exalted get to actually do it because Essence. It's not something you can fake.

Share your wonders in The Artifact and Evocation Workshop

Comment

Originally posted by semicasual View Post
                    Apparently, the "danger" component is very important in getting the mote-regen overdrive to kick in. Possibly, you might be able to help a friend regain motes by doing your level best to murder them while they run away, but you won't be friends for long if you do that.
                    The problem with doing your level best to kill a friend is that you might end up killing your friend.

Developer for Exalted.

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Minton View Post
                      The problem with doing your level best to kill a friend is that you might end up killing your friend.
                      Like I said, you probably won't be friends for long. [/blackcomedy]

Although, now that I think about it, are there other dangerous things you could do for mote regeneration? Extreme sports, maybe?

EDIT: VERY extreme:
                      Last edited by semicasual; 03-09-2015, 04:23 PM.

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

Pretty sure the general gist of what they're going for is "metagaming mechanics by abusing mote/willpower/etc. regens in combat or otherwise is explicitly verboten." Of course, storytellers can do whatever they want, but the in-game characters are not aware of the resources available to them, or the distinct mechanics behind things, or the names and concepts of a charm as a charm. All they know is that they have expressions of their power.

I.e., just like actual real live human beings have specific resources available to us (instinct, attention, willpower, etc) that we use to deal with the situations before us, Essence and Willpower are the same way for the Exalted. They don't think "Oh, let me use five motes of essence to bust this guy's face," they just do - akin to the way real live people will use their will to get through the day at work or drive themselves to do a few more pushups. Acting as though the characters have discrete awareness of their resources is very obviously metagaming, and intentionally placing onerself in harm's way or people you like in harm's way (or even prolonging a dangerous situation) to "replenish" those resources is straight-up metagaming.

Comment

Originally posted by JayTee View Post
                          On the other hand, using your non-combat Charms should come with the peril of being out of Essence, or at least out of Personal Essence, when you might need it most. Creates more strategy than "okay, got a 2d stunt so get motes back, continue spamming low-grade Excellency."

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

Originally posted by semicasual View Post
                            Extreme sports, maybe?
                            I kind of like the idea of Exalts being Adrenaline Junkies.

I write things.

Comment

Originally posted by kenright View Post
                              Pretty sure the general gist of what they're going for is "metagaming mechanics by abusing mote/willpower/etc. regens in combat or otherwise is explicitly verboten." Of course, storytellers can do whatever they want, but the in-game characters are not aware of the resources available to them, or the distinct mechanics behind things, or the names and concepts of a charm as a charm. All they know is that they have expressions of their power.
                              I dunno, I always found it fine for a character to have a "gut instinct" of how many motes and WP they have left. I mean you'd sure as hell know about your own health levels.

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
                              Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X