X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crumplepunch
    started a topic Exalted Fan Anthology - Workshop

Exalted Fan Anthology - Workshop

We now have a good number of writers on board and we have broadly settled what we are doing. My expectations have been wildly exceeded.

This thread is for sharing sketches, summaries and working drafts of your work. Constructive criticism is welcome (and should be welcomed). We have a few interested artists on board, so hopefully we can use the early sketches to settle on art resources.

Here is a blank google doc to share for general workpad stuff.

Anyone uncomfortable with sharing their unfinished work on the forum should feel free to contact me privately.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Crumplepunch; 03-24-2015, 07:15 PM.

• auroradragonkaya
    replied
    Alrighty, here's the final!
    The brushstrokes say "ifu yu asuku wai ai sinugu" -- "If you ask why I sing" is what I was intending.
    I wanted the "If you ask" because it was said so many times, and I felt that in particular was one of the most important lines.
    I also decided to lighten the face a little, though I may want to extend it out to look more like facepaint? I'm not sure.

I should add that if other writers still want their work illustrated and have a snippet of description to give me, I have time!

Edit:
    Almost forgot. I have a larger resolution file that I can provide when the time comes.
    Last edited by auroradragonkaya; 05-30-2015, 02:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ostarion
    replied
    That looks really good. Just the face then. I hope everyone else is doing fine on their stories as well, as I haven't heard much from them

Leave a comment:

• auroradragonkaya
    replied
    Hey Guys! I think the first picture is just about finished (provided it meets Ostarion's approval.)
    The one thing I want is to add writing on the demon's face. Does anyone know where I can find a translation of realm/old realm or something? I know I've seen them before, but I don't know where to actually find them. :/
    Here it is, by the by:

Leave a comment:

• Ostarion
    replied
    I am sorry for not being around, but my May was a busy time and I could not think about the story, I will start editing it soon

Leave a comment:

• LeTipex
    replied
    I'll try to be done by the first week of may anyway. I've got my whole story nearly written out on paper, I'm typing it and doing the first pass of edits as I go. The new deadline will give me time to work on illustrations, thought, so that's nice.

Leave a comment:

• Elemental
    replied
    I'm fine with that. Might give me time to write up a second contribution, if one would be useful.

Leave a comment:

• DrLoveMonkey
    replied
    I'm at the point where I'm starting to sacrifice labs in order to study so sorry but it'll have to do.

Leave a comment:

• Crumplepunch
    replied
    Originally posted by Arian Dynas View Post
    So, I know we set the anthology for being finished late April, but thus far it's looking like there are far more college students in here than that allows for. Do we want to push the date back to late May? That'll give me plenty of time myself to do a short story, possibly even two like I had intended.
    I think that would be best. In any case, it turns out I have a hard deadline in mid May, so it would be at least a few weeks before I could get to work on the editing side of things.

The stories I have looked at so far have been very promising and I hope nobody is discouraged by my spotty attendance.

Leave a comment:

• Arian Dynas
    replied
    So, I know we set the anthology for being finished late April, but thus far it's looking like there are far more college students in here than that allows for. Do we want to push the date back to late May? That'll give me plenty of time myself to do a short story, possibly even two like I had intended.

Leave a comment:

• Ostarion
    replied
    Yes I have difficulties with these aspects, so I will try making corrections as I go, but I wanted to get feedback early.

Leave a comment:

• auroradragonkaya
    replied
    I have to go to bed soon and can't look into it too much right now, but I'm definitely eager to. Would you like feedback here, or as comments in the word document?
    I haven't finished reading, but one thing I noticed was you tend to switch tenses a lot (past, present, future... native speakers have trouble with that so don't feel bad! )

Also curious if we want to have a lot of the summaries that are common knowledge for the readers? (E.g. notes on the nature of creation and primordial war.) This is not a critique, this is a general question to everyone.

Oh, and lastly, as a general editing tool to anyone who likes writing, there's something called the Hemmingway App that can be useful. It's $7, so it's not something I'd recommend for a casual thing, but it notes things like using a passive voice, overusing adverbs, and how difficult the sentence may be to read. (I also own it so I could potentially put any of the stories through it and note if any writers are interested. )

Anyway, will definitely read more tomorrow, and give my own feedback then.

Leave a comment:

• Ostarion
    replied
    And Now I can follow up on the picture with the actual draft of the frame story. Now as the frame story, I would probably like feedback from all the writers and those of you interested in making sure the tone matches what you think Exalted is. Please remember though that I am using narrative styles and structures that you may not be familiar with. In addition, I have essentially made it seem as if the entire anthology was written in setting, as it were. Hopefully this is agreeable but I can remove it pretty easily if it is not.

For feedback, I am interested in grammar, syntax and the flow of ideas for the most part. The content may seem somewhat strange to most of you because it draws upon my own cultural background as well as my indifference to the importance of history (similar to how the Indians couldn't even bother to leave a footnote about Alexander the Great in their own stories). Obviously this means I am also indifferent on canon concerns but I have tried to remain true to canon regardless of my feelings on the matter.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...4uBEDOB8w/edit

Hence please evaluate and critique as best as you are able.

Leave a comment:

• auroradragonkaya
    replied
    Here's the rough draft of the sketch for Ostarion's story. He hasn't given me feedback so it may need to be corrected, but figured I'd post the draft here. :P
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps5ssjetof.jpg
    I should be able to get it done on time, and probably at least 1 more as well.

Edit
    Here's the linework version (No need to make a new post.)
    I should also add a NSFW warning about uncovered breasts. Still not sure how I should handle them in the final version but I assume we want to keep it more PG...
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psd0lm8gne.jpg
    Last edited by auroradragonkaya; 04-21-2015, 03:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ostarion
    replied
    I will, I am over half way done, but it takes me a while to overcome the hurdle of the English language. I should be done by the deadline however since I started early knowing this would happen.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X