What can exalt?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can exalt?

I was thinking about Exalted and the potential for crossovers with other settings (read: Nox did it), and I had a thought, what can actual exalt?
    The purpose of this thread is to discuss beings that people think could and couldn't Exalt from other settings, I'll start:
    Can't Exalt:
    The Avatar - Avatar, the Last Airbender and Legend of Korra - I do think benders can exalt, but would find it harder than regular mortals, the avatar her/himself could not exalt due to their soul being bound to Raava.

Planeswalkers - Magic the Gathering - Once again, their soul structure. The planeswalker sparks would probably interfere with any exaltation process.

Changelings, Prometheans, Vampires, Sin-eaters, etc. - World of Darkness - Don't know to much about how the souls of the World of Darkness splats works, but those are the ones I'm sure would have souls to messed up, or simply lacking souls, to Exalt. I suspect mages could as not exalt, and possibly werewolves, but I don't know how they get their powers

Can Exalt:
    Tenno - Warframe - No soul modification, that we know of, but probably treated like wyld mutants, losing their capability for using warframes.

Sparks - Girl Genius - Once again, no known soul modification, but would really have to prove their abilities.

Wizards - Harry Potter - No reason not for them to exalt. Except maybe Voldemort with all the ripping of his own soul to make his horcruxes

Sorcerers - Skulduggery Pleasant - Same as the wizards, except the Skulduggery 'cus he is a skeleton.

Shur'tugal (dragon riders) - Inheritance Cycle - No mention of modification to their souls, but the bond with the dragon might affect their chances.

Novas - Aberrant - Could exalt, but their mutation that gives them their powers might be treated as a wyld mutatation, causing a lose of powers.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________
    That's not a finite list that we can talk about on this thread, but it's all I can think of at this hour.

My homebrew blog

Living humans can Exalt.

Some of the things you mention could be very specific kinds of Exalts - the Avatar makes me think of an Exigent, for example.

Sparks are already basically more-aware Autochthonian demiurges and Twilights in theme.

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

As with a lot of crossovers, it really kinda boils down to interpretation and personal ruling, probably best handled on a case-by-case basis. I personally wouldn't root it as literally in having a human soul as the predominant litmus test. Not least because if going that far, one should likely also factor in that the dual-soul structure of Creation's mortals is not exactly the most common setting assumption. By default, this would rule out any setting in which the soul is ever demonstrated to be otherwise. And, since the topic is almost never broached, you'd have to make the big assumption that a setting in question has mortal souls structured like those of Creation.

Then, as Zelbinnean notes, some things in other settings functionally already are Exalted. "Sparks are basically Twilights," "The Avatar is basically an Exigent," "Batman is the night basically a Night," are all incredibly reasonable takes. Lots of details are different, obviously, but it'd be a weird thing to Exalt any such individual.

The EX3 What We Know Wiki, courtesy of Marin and JMobius
      Nishkriya, the EX3 Freelancer Quotes Tracker, courtesy of Anathema and Moonwolf
      The White Wolf Forum Archive, courtesy of The Dark Wizard and Sanctaphrax (see its Patreon)
      Arrghus: There's also the Shepherd of the North Star, busily guiding the one thing in all the heavens that doesn't move.

Comment

I swear I once read that animals could Exalt.

Come and rock me Amadeus.

Comment

Originally posted by hippokrene View Post

That would be... the Shard version of Lunars me thinks? Or the reference from "Games of Divinity" about Gaian Exalts?

Comment

basically anything that can be called human, human+ works but generally you will burn off almost all the advantages/disadvantages of whatever the extra is when the exaltation takes over unless you are spending points to keep it. only if it is obviously not human should not be able to exalt

Comment

Pretty sure it was an 'end of the world' scenario, where all of humanity was destroyed, but Creation is still there. Unable to bond to humans, exaltation no longer exist. Except for Lunars...being a last ditch attempt, Lunar Exaltation begins bonding to animals, and giving them a "human" true form.

These Lunars could then breed new humans, which would almost instantly be exalted by one of the other types. So the Lunars could be a very last resort to saving Humanity.

But I can't remember where I heard it. Maybe in some Ink Monkey notes? Or one of the writers/devs mentioning it...bah.

Comment

Originally posted by Growls View Post

That would be... the Shard version of Lunars me thinks? Or the reference from "Games of Divinity" about Gaian Exalts?
                It was an emergency failsafe mentioned in the back of the Lunars book that took advantage of the loophole that whilst one of a lunars true forms had to be human it didn't technically need to be the one they were born in. I think the current consensus is that it either doesn't exist or is at least sealed until such time as it becomes a necessity.

Comment

I think this was some first edition thing. Something about truly superb examples of an animal species getting a Solar Exaltation.

Comment

I think this was some first edition thing. Something about truly superb examples of an animal species getting a Solar Exaltation.
                    I haven't read all the 1e stuff so it's possible I missed something, but you may be thinking of Animal Avatars as referred to in the Book of Three Circles.

Originally posted by Book of Three Circles
                    Just as Solar Exalted are the lords of humanity, Gaia granted great powers to a handful of animals of every type and charged these magical beasts with the task of protecting and ruling their own kind.
                    Originally posted by Book of Three Circles
                    Animal avatars recognize that Solar Exalted are beings of equal stature.
                    It's worth mentioning that the Book of Three Circles was made non-canon later in 1e with the release of Savant and Sorcerer. Avatar Animals and Totem Animals did come up later, but not quite in the same form.
                    Last edited by Crumplepunch; 03-24-2015, 09:26 PM.

Writer for Exalted.

Comment

I personally like the idea of animals Exalting as Lunars with a human true form, but I understand if people are iffy about it. Exaltations are supposed to be human things.

I've never heard anyone mention animals Exalting as anything but Lunars though. Then again, I've not read 1e.

Dex Davican wrote: I can say without exaggeration or dishonesty that I am the most creative man ever to have lived

Comment

It hails from the Storyteller section of the Lunars Manual as an interesting possibility that tables could go after, not strictly something canon. Errata Team Prime evidently felt strongly enough that it not be true to include a little, "Can animals Exalt as Lunars? No," bit in the Scroll of Errata.

The EX3 What We Know Wiki, courtesy of Marin and JMobius
                        Nishkriya, the EX3 Freelancer Quotes Tracker, courtesy of Anathema and Moonwolf
                        The White Wolf Forum Archive, courtesy of The Dark Wizard and Sanctaphrax (see its Patreon)
                        Arrghus: There's also the Shepherd of the North Star, busily guiding the one thing in all the heavens that doesn't move.

Comment

That's good to know. I appreciate the information.

Comment

Personally I'd like to see different flavours of Exaltation that can affect beings other than humans, like Gaian Exalts for animals and ghostly champions Chosen by the Twin Monarchs.

Writer for Exalted.

Comment

Anything you can call "human" with a straight face is a viable candidate, IMO. Warhammer 40k Space Marines? Probably not. Wizards in the Dresdenverse? Sure. White Court Vampires from the same? Nuh uh.

I do agree that some types of beings, like Sparks and the Avatar are functionally Exalted already, though, so no double dipping.

Comment

Working...
                              X