No announcement yet.

"Isn't the moon beautiful tonight = I love you": Fun with Creation's languages

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Isn't the moon beautiful tonight = I love you": Fun with Creation's languages

Cearr used the "Isn't the moon beautiful tonight = I love you" joke on his teammates:
    • Sulumor: Smooth answer, but competely missing the joke. Her face later turned bright red like a baboon's butt after Cyan told her the true meaning of the phrase.
    • Cyan: Uuuuum.....she understands it..........I think. The woman became extra quiet for a whole month (that's too much even for Cyan).....girl are so weird.
    • Shishiou: Naive like a rabbit. Just as expect.
    • Atsu: Hmmm, why did he reply with "I could die right now"....wait-a-minute, isn't that sentence also written in High Realm as I love yooooooohhh shit !

The Chinese word for human is a human-like figure, while prison is the word for human being surround by a square, while the word for forest consists of three characters for tree. And then there is a poem about a poet pwning a bunch of lions in which every syllable has the sound shi. And the Chinese made so many pun that mainland Chinese have a rule to ban pun not so long ago, since "Bomb that building" can have the same sound as "Pizza in yo ass" but the two is written differently, so you can only distinguish the two according to the context in which the sentence was spoken (it's only an example, I'm pretty that the two don't sound the same at all).

And then there is a whole system of honorific in Japanese, Korean and various other language in case you need to be "Extra Respectful" toward someone.

So yeah, I wonder whether Creation's languages have those can of fun linguistic thing like that ?

P/s: In case anyone noticed something weird with Cearr's teammates, I just want to say that I hate Vampire Pirate and Crab Mummy.
    Last edited by Jen; 04-03-2015, 12:11 AM.

The no.1 fan of Demetheus. I also draw Exalted things and is looking for commission works ~

There's something about that picture.
    Just...that third one, who I know not the name of.
    Something about him looks unearthly.

Comment

I'd be highly surprised if stuff like this didn't exist, unfortunately it's also goes under the "I couldn't make this shite up if I wanted to" category often and makes it hard to actually come up with. I do specifically remember a demon book about a first circle who went around killing 50 rivals to ascend to the status of a second circle which was popular in Malfeas but dreadfully boring to any other culture, something about humanity missing the point of the book. That's the best example I have of literary shenanigans for Exalted.

Comment

this is cute as hell

also your design for Sulumor is now replacing her 2e outfit in my mental image.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Jen View Post
          That is amazing *_*
          I love it.

Bearer of the legacy of Trauma Bear
          Need a dice-roller? Check out Dicemat.

Comment

And then there is a poem about a poet pwning a bunch of lions in which every syllable has the sound shi.
            Oh God, this poem demonstrates precisely why Chinese is my favourite language that I will probably never be able to speak.

Raksi plays Peek-a-boo for keeps. ~ nalak42

Comment

That last guy... all I have to say is... <Takei> Oh my! </Takei>

(do tell us moar about him?)
              Last edited by Xanandithras; 04-02-2015, 06:33 PM.

Thread Reaper <(´ ՞)ਊ( ՞ )>

Comment

P/s: In case anyone noticed something weird with Cearr's teammates, I just want to say that I hate Vampire Pirate and Crab Mummy.
                They are pretty difficult to make cool, I personally used this as my inspiration for Captain Gyrfalcon.

Comment

This is probably a sentence somewhere in the south east

Comment

Because of you, I spent the last ten minutes trying to (successfully, I might add) understand this blasted sentence. I want to thank you and curse you at the same time. A 'like' will have to suffice.

Comment

The guy in image number four is pimpin. If I think up a cool character, I'm definitely paying Jen to do an illustration of them.

I'm feeling bluuuueeeee~

Comment

Originally posted by Prometheus878 View Post
                        The guy in image number four is pimpin. If I think up a cool character, I'm definitely paying Jen to do an illustration of them.
                        Jen does commissions?!

I write things.

Comment

I think that's her take on the signature Defiler Caste, Mr. Lobster-Claw Mummy or whatever his name is.

As for fun with words, well, let's make up a few, shall we?

I could totally buy that the Marukani have like 12 words for horse-tack, and I bet the Halta and Linowan don't use formalized writing systems.
                          We already know the Realm uses fixed characters, rather than representative ones, though I'm sure there are places out there.

And for turns of phrase;

Marukani - As wise as a rope-bridle: The tendency of something done in the name of efficiency or cheapness to instead cause more damage
                          Harborhead - A bull's head on a dragon: A Harborheadite who has converted to the Immaculate Faith so completely that they have forgotten their culture.
                          Sijan - The Waiting: Another term for The Quick, the Waiting refers to someone suffering from a terminal disease or mortal injury
                          Last edited by Arian Dynas; 04-02-2015, 08:53 PM.

Need some Tunes for your Exalted Game? http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...-exalted-tunes
                          Want some help managing your PCs? http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...a-reincarnated

Comment

I like to imagine Haslanti have a lot of words for ice and snow and then use those words as euphemisms for other things. I recall from my game that "hoarfrost" was a euphemism body/pubic hair.

Thread Reaper <(´ ՞)ਊ( ՞ )>

Comment

Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post

Jen does commissions?!
                              He doesn't as far as I know, and he may live on the other side of the planet, but I will find a way.

I'm feeling bluuuueeeee~

Comment

Working...
                              X