No announcement yet.

3e Sorcery! ...again!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also remember reading somewhere that a 'vanilla' sorcerer and a necromancer could cast exactly the same spell and still feel very unique from one another. I'd speculate that feel has a lot to do with how motes are gathered and what sort of an effect the 'initiation' has on a caster.

Playing 3e and miss Anathema? Try my web app, Lot-Casting Atemi!

Comment

Originally posted by hushnowquietnow View Post
      I also remember reading somewhere that a 'vanilla' sorcerer and a necromancer could cast exactly the same spell and still feel very unique from one another. I'd speculate that feel has a lot to do with how motes are gathered and what sort of an effect the 'initiation' has on a caster.
      Expanding on that, the Sorcerous frozen yogurt parlor* has more than just vanilla and chocolate to choose from. I believe Vance has mentioned 5 (6?) "initiation paths," which will each have some things in common as well as some things unique to them. I continue to be eager to sink my teeth into the Wyld path that's been mentioned, much as the particulars remain mostly unknown.

* Note to self: Create combination Sorcerous shop and frozen yogurt parlor, recreate that scene from The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror III.

The EX3 What We Know Wiki, courtesy of Marin and JMobius
      Nishkriya, the EX3 Freelancer Quotes Tracker, courtesy of Anathema and Moonwolf
      The White Wolf Forum Archive, courtesy of The Dark Wizard and Sanctaphrax (see its Patreon)
      Arrghus: There's also the Shepherd of the North Star, busily guiding the one thing in all the heavens that doesn't move.

Comment

Great for Elric fans, but what about those of us who want to play Dr. Strange? That is, having PCs not afraid to get a LOT of use out of the spells/workings we buy, and who want to show off and look great while doing so without coughing up a lung?

I don't mind getting exhausted *eventually*, but Elric's a bit too frail for my tastes...

Comment

Originally posted by Hand-of-Omega View Post
          Great for Elric fans, but what about those of us who want to play Dr. Strange? That is, having PCs not afraid to get a LOT of use out of the spells/workings we buy, and who want to show off and look great while doing so without coughing up a lung?
          You guys are gonna be really happy.

(I love Doctor Strange)

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Originally posted by Hand-of-Omega View Post

I don't mind getting exhausted *eventually*, but Elric's a bit too frail for my tastes...
            I don't think Elric's personal frailness is meant to be related to his magic, and I doubt that will be necessarily included in the Sorcery rules. That was just a trait of Elric.

Comment

And now I have the urge to make Nabu, Lord of Order with a swanky golden helmet, as a Solar focused on Sorcery and related Occult charms, as well as the "impose order on chaos" aspect of Lore.

You need a picture altered to fit your Exalted character, or just looking for some visual inspiration? Check out the twice-reborn Exaltification thread. And here is my Deviantart page

Søren Kierkegaard + Kim Kardashian = Brilliance

Comment

It was my understanding that Elric's frailty was just a personal flaw of his, not because his magic was taking a lot out of him. The only reason he could do what he was doing was because Stormbringer was buffing him.

I'm wondering if maybe mortal sorcerers will be more like Elric while a solar will be more like Dr. Strange or Doctor Fate. (Why are all these superhero sorcerers also doctors?)

Comment

Originally posted by Crimyote View Post
                  I
                  I'm wondering if maybe mortal sorcerers will be more like Elric while a solar will be more like Dr. Strange or Doctor Fate.
                  Either can be both. Sorcerous initiations are designed to be extremely inclusive of character concepts, not to exclude them.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

What I'm getting from his conversation is that it's entirely possible to become a dedicated magic user in Exalted now.

This is confusing to me, but I am by no means complaining. I love playing me a mage!

Comment

Yes, everything in this thread is just increasing my excitement.

Im just sad that there aren't more specifics to talk about. All I can really do is flail about like a puppy when it hears its owner coming back home.

Comment

I am very curious how functional a dedicated "combat sorcerer" in 3rd edition will be - that is, someone who uses Sorcery entirely for offense (in the same way someone uses Archery entirely for offense). While you could technically do this in 1st and 2nd edition, it was absolutely ineffective.

I wonder if this was designed to be something possible in 3rd edition (unlike in the previous editions) and, if so, how far behind they will be from someone who focuses on a combat Ability.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post
                          I am very curious how functional a dedicated "combat sorcerer" in 3rd edition will be - that is, someone who uses Sorcery entirely for offense (in the same way someone uses Archery entirely for offense). While you could technically do this in 1st and 2nd edition, it was absolutely ineffective.

I wonder if this was designed to be something possible in 3rd edition (unlike in the previous editions) and, if so, how far behind they will be from someone who focuses on a combat Ability.
                          Probably at least a little more reasonable than it used to be. I think they said a while back that there wasn't going to be required rounds just for shaping a working,but you could use those if you were going to try and not use your own essence for the casting and the like.

Comment

One of my goals was to make the process of casting spells in combat a fun one. I hear Holden has a playtest character who's been making some fun use of Wood Dragon's Claw with martial arts.

Developer for Exalted

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

I really doubt it, unless you count someone running around and fighting with skin of bronze and wood dragon's claw (and uses brawl or MA charms) as someone who uses sorcerery for offense.

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                              One of my goals was to make the process of casting spells in combat a fun one. I hear Holden has a playtest character who's been making some fun use of Wood Dragon's Claw with martial arts.
                              Again, i doubt it's gonna be possible for starting characters to whip out a spell each round.

Comment

I do believe it was said that depending wholly on offensive sorcery effects was not going to be that effective in standard skirmish level combat (defined as constantly casting DOB or FotBR, versus buffing with Wood Dragon's Claw and Invulnerable Skin then laying about with Brawl Charms). In mass combat against battle groups though, hoo boy.

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

Working...
                                X