No announcement yet.

Farming in Creation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, when you talked of them spreading out I thought you meant going into isolated places.

She/Her. I am literal-minded and write literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to make a joke.
    My point of view may be different from yours but is equally valid.
    Exalted-cWoD-ArM url mega-library. Exalted name-generators, Exalted and WTA stuff from me and others.

Comment

Yeah, I meant spreading out from the cities. Like what happened in the latter days of the Roman Empire; one of the most basic things that led to the fall of the city was how the administration couldn't bring in food anymore, so huge numbers abandoned the city to start tilling the soil.

Although that would have been a case where people did live in lone homesteads, but the initial principle is the same.

I think something similar happened in the early days of Communist China? I don't know the period very well.

Speaking of Rome, I imagine that a lot of that cultivated lowland forms Dynast estates, in which the cultivation takes the form of keeping the thing pristinely trimmed or with artistic gardens, with maybe the occasional cash crop or valuable herd or personal luxury orchard, but the land's capacity to provide staple foods goes unrealised. It's probably the fate of those lands where the Dynasts are skipping serfdom and just kicking the villagers out.

Still, continuing to think about the implications of the prices... still disregarding the figures given in the Second Edition core, I still think there would be something viable in the idea that relatively low prices combined with high fertility means that the peasants are kept poor even while producing enough to supply the regional markets (making it harder for them to acquire informal systems of land ownership in which they can exclude the poorest people), while also ensuring that the poor remain in villages and eke out a living from the land, keeping the cities from becoming unmanageable or creating a circumstance in which the poor can be exploited as enormous work forces by the Scarlet Dynasty.

The policies described in Manacle and Coin, figured against certain comparable philosophies in real life, seem to be about maintaining the independence of the peasants from the wealthy (and keeping their communities isolated from one another) while ensuring they remain subject to the state, and productive enough to keep the apparatus of the state and the classes that supply the wealthy with luxuries functional.

I don't think food is actively and deliberately destroyed, but I think the surpluses might be sufficient that at least some of it goes to waste, which helps keep the farmers at the subsistence level while giving them little cause for rebellion.

It's a balancing act between ensuring that hardly anybody starves while also ensuring that nobody can make a fortune off of producing food.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
        I think something similar happened in the early days of Communist China? I don't know the period very well.
        The Cultural Revolution, but that involved a sort-of-mandated migration. As with many things in Commuist China, it wasn't driven by economic necessity.

Which is the sort of illogical, state-mandated thing I was thinking would be necessary to keep the Blessed Isle running anything like what we're talking about here. I was also thinking about that one famine in China where the state mandated a really bad food-production strategy that caused unnecessary mass starvation. I mean the Realm would be doing the opposite.

stuff
        Your ideas (ignoring the specific numbers in the corebook) seems more-or-less plausible.

keeping the cities from becoming unmanageable or creating a circumstance in which the poor can be exploited as enormous work forces by the Scarlet Dynasty.
        This part I can't parse. You mean prevent them from being exploitable, or keep them exploitable?

She/Her. I am literal-minded and write literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to make a joke.
        My point of view may be different from yours but is equally valid.
        Exalted-cWoD-ArM url mega-library. Exalted name-generators, Exalted and WTA stuff from me and others.

Comment

You know, a thing I've always been confused about farming... let's say you can nominally only plant one crop in the year, and it's going by that whole "plant in spring, harvest in autumn" deal... so what you harvest has to be a quantity sufficient to last the whole year, yes? So it's actually possible to store cereals that will keep until the next harvest?

How well are people eating under circumstances like this?
          If it's a good harvest and the people know how to preserve it? Pretty damn good. If not...well shit.

Duly Elected Guild Hierarch of the Onyx Path Forums

http://northernfoxgames.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Erinys
            You mean prevent them from being exploitable, or keep them exploitable?
            Keep them from being exploited by the Scarlet Dynasty. Exploitation of the masses is a monopoly of the state. Incidentally, I find indications in the Realm's fiscal policy intended to prevent the Dragon Blooded from consolidating their assets into what we would call big business.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
            Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Working...
            X