Sidereal Missions - Obsidian and Blood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidereal Missions - Obsidian and Blood

Has anyone read the Obsidian and Blood series by Aliette De Bodard? It is a mystery series set in Ancient Aztec Mexico. The main character is Acatl, a Priest of the Dead, who goes around and helps keep the boundaries between the living and the dead.

Acatl would make a pretty good Chosen of Endings and a lot of the trouble he runs into would make for a great Sidereal Mission. The plot has a basic formula - Acatl gets called in for a murder, sickness, or kidnapping. Over the course of his investigations, he discovers that the murder is related to a plot for some old god to unset the current god in power and take over or destroy the world.

It has been mentioned that Sidereal missions should be similar to a butterfly effect. A small change has a great impact. But instead of killing a baby or having someone choke on a fish bone, maybe the mission should be figure why events did not happen as fate decreed. Why the baby didn't die? Because the baby is actually a demon-blooded child, who parents are part of a Yozi Cult.

A Chosen of Secrets could be sent to investigate how an initiate discovered a secret sorcery ritual above his understanding (A demon summoned by his mentor told him). A Chosen of Journeys could figure out why a ship full of Immaculate Monks did not arrive for their Fated Pilgrimage (Fair Folk attacked the ship and ate everyone ).

This would make Sidereals more trouble shooters than baby killers.

I write things.

I think the investigation and troubleshooting fits the theme perfectly.

But I want to adress this one a little bit as well...
    Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
    This would make Sidereals more trouble shooters than baby killers.
    In my mind, a Chosen of Ending might have to play match maker, to make sure a hero, who will overthrow a kingdom, will be born. Romeo and Juliet could be a botched mission.

Comment

I don't know about Romeo and Juliet being a botched mission. The families reconciled after the two lovers died. That Sidereal Friar totally arranged for that message not to get to Romeo in time.

I'm sure the different castes work on missions outside of their castes. There is only 100 of the little buggers and there is a lot of creation to cover.

Though the idea of a Chosen of Endings getting a matchmaker mission is hilarious. "I can't even get my own love life not to end in tragedy. How am I suppose to get these two to fall in love? 'Other duties as needed' indeed!"

I write things.

Comment

Working...
      X