X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand-of-Omega
    started a topic How secret are SMA?

How secret are SMA?

I'm pretty sure there's no canon answer to this, so...In YOUR Creation, how close to the chest do the Sids hold their "secret styles"?

1) No secret at all: Everyone who knows of their existence knows they have superior martial arts that only they can master, and they are not shy about announcing which style they are using to punch you into a duck. The Gods of Yu-Shan regularly gossip about who knows which style.

2) Somewhat: They don't brag or explain themselves, but they'll throw up the Style Sutras when needed, and it's clear that they're doing something most have never heard of. Some Gods and Exalted who are close to Viziers as allies or enemies know some of the styles' names.

3) Very Secret: Almost literally no one outside of the Fivescore Fellowship or the Incarnae even suspects that the Seers have surpassed the Perfected Lotus, or that such is even possible. As for those few who do witness such charms in action...well, ducks tell no tales...

Partly, I'm asking because of the Battle Maiden's Dance, a martial arts tournament held in Yu-Shan exclusively for Sidereals. What kind of show would the attending Gods see? Do you think the Sids would whip out their greatest techniques or would they deliberately hold back?

• Hand-of-Omega
    replied
    I can imagine Outcaste DBs using Craft Icon to spread the sutras everywhere, condensed into stylish little glyphs decorating signatures on letters or buildings' walls (anyone looking at such a glyph can understand the message it contains, right?).

Incidentally, if anyone needs help coming up with sufficiently obscure words for colors to title their SMA with, here's a great resource!

Leave a comment:

• Lioness
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnDoe244 View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is wrong. In the write up for one of Malfeas's 3DC (The Street of Golden Lanterns? Ipithymia? Something like that...) it says that Gold Light Districts are to Malfeas what Red Light Districts are to Creation (but that Red/Gold light districts also have torture theaters and coliseums so...).
    Or the author forgot what had been established elsewhere and just went with what was familiar to them.

Leave a comment:

• JohnDoe244
    replied
    Originally posted by Zelbinnean View Post
    My main problem is that I don't think it's easy to pull your punches when you're channelling the essence of the shine of consumption as-interpreted through spiders or the concept of disease. And certainly Sids would probably be encouraged not to actually lay each other out too badly - they all have to work the next day, after all!
    And in addition, that doesn't mean that people are going to understand what they see.

The Tournament isn't going to Finishing-level SMA moves all the time. They might pull off the odd charm here and there that leaves the audience gasping with wonderment (and maybe a few in-the-know gods give each other a nudge in the ribs and a wink, or a salacious "Isn't that the third Blossom charm she's used?" whisper), but I picture the tournament as showing off techniques and breadth of martial arts and physical grace rather than activating a new SMA charm every time your DV refreshes whilst calling out the name of the charm for the benefit of the audience ('cause, you know, mortals actually fight in these things sometimes).

Goku does not blow up the Earth every World's Martial Arts Tournament (And as Roshi blew up the freakin' moon before Goku's first tourny,..) I think it's fair to imagine that Exalted doesn't have a hundred man Thunderdome every 25 years.
    Last edited by JohnDoe244; 04-12-2015, 11:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Zelbinnean
    replied
    Originally posted by Hand-of-Omega View Post
    So, to get back to the original question, about the masses filling up the Circus Radiant to watch the Battle Maiden's Dance tournament: Most of you have no problem imagining the participating Sidereals whipping out SMA techniques on each other for this?
    My main problem is that I don't think it's easy to pull your punches when you're channelling the essence of the shine of consumption as-interpreted through spiders or the concept of disease. And certainly Sids would probably be encouraged not to actually lay each other out too badly - they all have to work the next day, after all!

Leave a comment:

• Zelbinnean
    replied
    Hm, Sidereals can't ALL be wearing Silken Armor. What are some other alternatives that allow them to protect themselves while still using MA? The only other one that comes to mind now are the living Demon Armor skin, but I think Heaven frowns upon summoning demons there?
    It also depends on the MA. I think PAoC has a couple Charms that basically give you soak, or you use the "lesser" form and add a CMA Form Charm or two that gives soak. Sorcery was mentioned and that works - you can certainly do no-armor MA while transformed into the terrible rusted iron puppet that is Incomparable Body Arsenal.

I do think that more SMA should be armor-ok though. Or at least a couple. It wasn't a good balancing point.

Originally posted by Erinys View Post
    Some of those have got to be dangerous to spectators. Like Border of Kaleidoscope Logic?
    BoKL is just as dangerous to readers as to spectators or combatants. :P
    Last edited by Zelbinnean; 04-12-2015, 01:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JohnDoe244
    replied
    Originally posted by Nervaqus987 View Post
    For example, since Venus is the Maiden of Serenity and her color is Blue, Creation has Blue Light Districts rather than Red Light Districts.
    I'm pretty sure this is wrong. In the write up for one of Malfeas's 3DC (The Street of Golden Lanterns? Ipithymia? Something like that...) it says that Gold Light Districts are to Malfeas what Red Light Districts are to Creation (but that Red/Gold light districts also have torture theaters and coliseums so...).

Of course, head canon, it's now Blue Light in my mind.

Hm, Sidereals can't ALL be wearing Silken Armor. What are some other alternatives that allow them to protect themselves while still using MA?
    There's also Discrete Essence Armour. And Earth Dragon Style. Invulnerable Skin of Bronze. Incomparable Body Arsenal. (That stone lullaby Emerald spell - name escapes me.) Seeing as the Sids have a working Factory Cathedral and know about the Mountain Folk, I'm not against letting them have Synthetic Leather. (There's also Skin-Like-the-Mountains Oil for special occasions.)

I'm sure there must be spirit charms they can ask their allies for if we're talking NPCs.

And, you know, Dodge Charms.

I'm pretty Option 2 for secrecy. I imagine there are legends of styles going beyond the Bulb of the Perfected Lotus, but like legends of the First Age they're as much myth as they are fact.

That and almost no-one has heard of a Sidereal. And the fact that Exalted isn't DBZ -- people don't shout out the names of their techniques as a verbal component to the Charm.
    Last edited by JohnDoe244; 04-12-2015, 11:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Aquillion
    replied
    Hm, Sidereals can't ALL be wearing Silken Armor. What are some other alternatives that allow them to protect themselves while still using MA? The only other one that comes to mind now are the living Demon Armor skin, but I think Heaven frowns upon summoning demons there?
    Some of them just... don't wear armor. The point of the decision to have most MA not work with armor is mostly aesthetic (since it could just be balanced in other ways without it); sometimes you can fit the aesthetic by saying your silk is as hard as steel, but it's not intended to be something absolutely everyone cheats their way around.

Obviously this requires that you be capable of surviving without armor, but there's ways to do this without always relying on I Can't Believe It's Not Armor.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 04-12-2015, 06:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• The Wizard of Oz
    replied
    And Resistance charms. That's a big one.

Leave a comment:

• Nervaqus987
    replied

It's like attending a Dethklok concert: They knew the risks when they walked into the arena!

Very much so.

The party line is that no demon shall ever set foot in Yu-Shan.

The ambassador of Malfeas cheats on a technicality of getting carted around in a palanquin.

That said, there's probably at least a few demons running around, smuggled in by one person or another as part of the usual corruption of Heaven.

But uhh.....doing it in broad daylight? Probably not a thing that would be tolerated.

Anyways, other alternatives to Silken Armor is Discrete Essence Armor.

There's also certain sorcery spells that should be able to buff their defenses without interfering with their kung fu.

Leave a comment:

• Hand-of-Omega
    replied
    Originally posted by Erinys View Post
    Some of those have got to be dangerous to spectators. Like Border of Kaleidoscope Logic?

It's like attending a Dethklok concert: They knew the risks when they walked into the arena!

Last edited by Hand-of-Omega; 04-12-2015, 01:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Erinys
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Hand-of-Omega
    replied
    Originally posted by Nervaqus987 View Post

Well, there's of course the indirect ways of worshiping the Maidens throughout Creation.

For example, since Venus is the Maiden of Serenity and her color is Blue, Creation has Blue Light Districts rather than Red Light Districts.
    I love to see things like this played up as a way to differentiate Creation from the RW, but sometimes writers default to normal and editors don't catch it, so a couple of books do mention "red light districts" when they really shouldn't (the Dream Parlors of Gem are particularly notable, being draped in red silk), just like they sometimes write "24 hours" instead of 25...

Other than that, I believe Immaculate Doctrine is that the Incarnae as a whole are distant and very important gods.

As for Gaia.....IIRC, the Immaculates believe that she is an ancient and important figure, but not one that requires prayers.
    The Immaculates give all the Incarnae, and Gaia, regular worship, but keep them distant from the people, who are encouraged to think of the Immaculate/Elemental Dragons as The Top Dogs in the cosmos.

So, to get back to the original question, about the masses filling up the Circus Radiant to watch the Battle Maiden's Dance tournament: Most of you have no problem imagining the participating Sidereals whipping out SMA techniques on each other for this?
    Last edited by Hand-of-Omega; 04-12-2015, 12:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Erinys
    replied
    And the "violet light district" would be the funerary district?

But lights are probably substituted by ribbons in a lot of these cases, especially in neighborhoods too poor for colored transluscent glass, or societies that can't produce it. Where even colored dyes and paints are too expensive, I imagine signs with charcoal drawings, or specific arrangements of knotted ropes, or something of the like would be used for nearly any shop.
    Last edited by Erinys; 04-11-2015, 11:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mizu
    replied
    Originally posted by Guancyto View Post
    Off-topic, but I'm kind of curious what Creation would actually 'do' given the words 'Red Light District.'

Would it be just this entire square of martial arts dojos, swordfighting academies and fighting rings, or would they get more elaborate with it?
    Maybe that is what they call places where they hold all the gladiator death matches?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X