Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of Anathema for Third Edition

This is Urs from Anathema.

There was some discontent over the lack of news lately, way over in another thread.
    In this post, I'll try to remedy the situation and give you some insight into our collaboration with Onyx Path as well as our progress. Please understand that I can't go into details; I am NDAed and can only speak about the general outline.

Our main contact in the writing team is Holden. We are in close contact with him, meaning: unmoderated, direct, private messages.
    Some weeks ago, he sent us a pre-release version of the rules, more than enough to build Anathema with.
    He answers any questions we have clearly and quickly, and generally does his best to keep us in the loop.
    Just to make it clear, Onyx Path is not responsible for our doings, errors or lapses, as we are not beholden to them. We did not ask for money, and will receive none. In fact, we - as a team - explictly decided not to make this a paid project, so we never had to discuss this with OP.

Rules in hand, we obviously have a lot of work to do, reading as well as coding.
    Generally speaking, work is progressing orderly. We are working in a hidden repository, that's why even the tech-savvy among you didn't see any updates on GitHub for ages. Progress could be better, though, since our time and energy are not as plenty as they were back in 2013, when we first signed up for this.
    I have seen speculation that we only need to update the Charms - this is decidedly not the case, the changes required are much more extensive: There are assumptions in Anathema that just don't hold any longer, and we still need to figure out how to deal with a few major points.
    However, all of the minor changes and additions are done by now. With a version I have running on my desktop this very moment, I could probably adopt more than eighty percent of the Exalts I or my group have played in the past; dealing with some rough edges manually.

All of this said, we can't promise to have a fully-fledged version the moment the PDF goes live - just as I said back in September.
    Also, OP and the Anathema team have yet to speak about content inclusion beyond the usual - we have left this issue open so far, because it is the least of our concerns.

Finally, please bear in mind that Rich knows exactly as much about our work as you do, so he just couldn't give you more details.

I hope this clears matters up somewhat.
    If you have any questions, please post below. I will try to answer them as good as I can.

UPDATE: We have solved one of the puzzles mentioned above.
    UPDATE: Solved another puzzle. It gets harder from here on out.
    UPDATE: The code is now public. We needed to clean out the Charm data before publishing. Release is still some time off, as the puzzlers are unresolved.
    Last edited by urskr; 11-24-2015, 03:48 PM. Reason: UPDATE 3

Thank you for the information and keep up the good work. You can take all the time you need in my opinion. I just hope it works well when it's finally released, and I have no doubts that it's going to be great.

Ekorren's Homebrew Hub - Last Update: August 2, 2017

Comment

Appreciate the update. Would be great if more content (charm wise) could be included, but understand that as it is a not paid for product that might not be too palatable to the license holders.

It would be a great boon to me as an ST.

Comment

Sounds good, thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Thanks for the update, Urs. I am a little surprised to see that this isn't a paid-for project (as I had assumed), but I can see why the IP owner (CCP) would be hesitant to do that.

Originally posted by Molez View Post
          Appreciate the update. Would be great if more content (charm wise) could be included, but understand that as it is a not paid for product that might not be too palatable to the license holders.

It would be a great boon to me as an ST.
          I'm curious as to what you are referring to. Like, more charms than what's going to be in the book, or as in antagonist charms also included in the program? My greatest boon from Anathema was being able to make new player's characters for them. Such that we could sit down and talk about what they wanted to play, and I could basically interview them, and while doing so draw up a character sheet that was then printable.
          As long as I can do that (or even just character management software, even if it isn't exportable), I'm a happy camper. :-D

ST/DM for Dice Alternatives
          Playing: DtD: Causality and Consequence
          Off-Season: M:tAw- Lifelong Education

Comment

I'm pretty sure he meant that he would like the full text of Charms to be available (obviously a CCP/OP decision, not Anathema).

Comment

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to seeing this on my computer whenever it does release.

Comment

Question: Will this be only the character creation or will there be the campaign and storytellers parts included in the release?

Question: Will you have a conversion option to take a character from 2nd to 3rd are we going to have to redo our characters we in the current release?

Question: Will the release of Anathema have mortals as well as solars or will there be a wait for that?

Question: Will you be using the stock character sheet or will there be a custom design. Or will there be a option to choose between stock and custom?

Like the Sun I am relentless even in death...

Comment

Will the earlier edition versions of Anathema (1e, 2e, 2.5e) still be available?

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
                  Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors

Comment

Oh, thank you for the update! Looking forward to fiddling with your builder when it comes out, should be a blast!

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Thanks for that update! It's really kind of you to keep us in the loop. I hope to see the result of your work soon, so I can congratulate you all!

Chains of Silver and Blood, my current Ex3 campaign.
                      I do maps for your games!
                      Images 1, Images 2, Landscapes 1, Landscapes 2 and Musics from Creation.

Comment

Thank you for the news update. ^_^ I didn't actually try Anathema during 2e (what with not really finding out about it until I'd given up on playing), but I've heard enough good things that I'm looking forward to changing that for the upcoming edition.

The EX3 What We Know Wiki, courtesy of Marin and JMobius
                        Nishkriya, the EX3 Freelancer Quotes Tracker, courtesy of Anathema and Moonwolf
                        The White Wolf Forum Archive, courtesy of The Dark Wizard and Sanctaphrax (see its Patreon)
                        Arrghus: There's also the Shepherd of the North Star, busily guiding the one thing in all the heavens that doesn't move.

Comment

I basically can't play Exalted without using Anathema anymore, so I really appreciate all the work you're putting in to making it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rahod View Post
                            Question: Will this be only the character creation or will there be the campaign and storytellers parts included in the release?
                            It will be character management, that is, creation and growth.
                            Our ideas for campaign and storyteller support never really took off, part because we were busy enough supporting the myriad options Exalted has to offer, part because we just don't know what a should go there.

Question: Will you have a conversion option to take a character from 2nd to 3rd are we going to have to redo our characters we in the current release?
                            We do not plan to include a conversion option. Reasons are both technical and in the effort required.

Question: Will the release of Anathema have mortals as well as solars or will there be a wait for that?
                            Both. As far as I remember, Mortals are completely done already, and a release without Solars just wouldn't make much sense, since that is where the complexity lies.
                            At this stage, I won't rule out an early-access version with mortals only to get feedback on certain UI decisions.

Question: Will you be using the stock character sheet or will there be a custom design. Or will there be a option to choose between stock and custom?
                            We have offered custom sheets based on voidstates layouts for time immemorial, and will continue to do so. I expect them to be similar to what we have, with obvious changes for 3e.
                            If somebody brings us code to print into the stock sheet, we'll take it.

Comment

Originally posted by Erinys View Post
                              Will the earlier edition versions of Anathema (1e, 2e, 2.5e) still be available?
                              Absolutely, as they are right now. Our support will be limited to answering questions, though - if anyone wants to take over maintenance, he or she is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X