Ethnicity and Eye Color in Creation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethnicity and Eye Color in Creation

Ok, so in previous editions the books have given us general details on the ethnicities of Creation. IIrc, it's general Nordic types in the North, with white skin and light hair; Native Americans in the East, with copper skin and straight brown, green, red, or black hair; Africans in the South, with dark brown or black skin and curly brown, black, or red hair; Asian/Polynesians in the West, with golden tans and dark hair in shades of brown, black, blue, gray, sea green, and purple; and sort of Mediterranean on the Blessed Isle, with dark hair and lighter skin, though there's lots of mixing, given the whole sex slave trade.

However, the bits where they discuss that don't really mention eye color. Anyone have any thoughts as to what eye colors are common in each direction? (Also, feel free to correct me on my ethnicity list above. I'm going entirely off memory there and it's been awhile since I looked that up.)

Incidentally, I was looking up eye color on Wikipedia recently and discovered that eye color doesn't actually operate by simple Mendelian cross processes. In fact, it can be pretty damned crazy, since any common* color might arise from any given cross, even if with a relatively low probability.

That said, brown eyes seem to be rather common in real life, so I'd hazard a guess that most people in Creation probably have brown eyes. Some elemental hijinks might result in the appropriate/associated colors, as would breeding with spirits or the Fair Folk, where those are closer to people.

*Common to humans, in the context of comparing real life to Exalted.

Comment

Well... well now I have gray eyes!

Either way, I always took it as "whatever the hell sounds good for your character," but if I were to throw some categories together:

North: Blues, whites, grays, silvers
      East (most diverse, probably): Greens, light reds, light oranges, light yellows (colors of autumn leaves), browns
      South: Black, deep reds, deep oranges, deep yellows, and colors underneath other colors (red beneath black, a la obsidian, orange under red like a fire, etc)
      West: Blues, blue-greens (seafoam green and the like), blue-blacks (shades of navy blue)
      Center: Just... whatever you please.

Formerly Exodan

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
        Africans in the South
        And Semitic peoples.

And possibly also Turkic, depending on what one takes the inspirations of the Delzhan to be.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
        Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

For some reason, Golden Eyes seem like they'd be popular for giver Exalt types. Solars in particular.

Duly Elected Guild Hierarch of the Onyx Path Forums

http://northernfoxgames.com/

Comment

I don't know that I'd wander too far afield of the given phenotypes. Even in people from mixed genetic backgrounds are fairly predictable. There are a lot of factors that go into eye colors including a number we're not really certain about, but generally speaking light skin and light eyes mandates you see less of the sun, which would make the north, northwest, and northeast (closest to the Air pole and thus likely to have the thickest cloud cover) of the non-brown and black eye colors.

Comment

Originally posted by Dayen View Post
              generally speaking light skin and light eyes mandates you see less of the sun, which would make the north, northwest, and northeast (closest to the Air pole and thus likely to have the thickest cloud cover) of the non-brown and black eye colors.
              Places in the far East will probably also have lots of tree cover, helping to facilitate green eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                Places in the far East will probably also have lots of tree cover, helping to facilitate green eyes.
                Not exactly how it works, but if you desperately require green eyes and hazel just won't cut it for you, it's an acceptable excuse. Hazel being what typically occurs when you mix light eyes with brown eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dayen View Post
                  Hazel being what typically occurs when you mix light eyes with brown eyes.
                  Why are we mixing brown eyes with light eyes?

You were the one who said "seeing less sun is likely to produce less dark eye colours".

Comment

Eye color in Exalted has kind of been the most "Fuck it, it's fantasy" thing I can think of. If you can get groups that look swarthy with blue eyes like the Water Tribes in the Avatar franchise or all matter of anime hair and eye color (some a bit more realisitc than I thought, like dark skin and blond hair), the details of who happens appear to me up to really what "fits" the region.

I mean, might just be me, but I've seen lots of anime where everyone's supposed to be Japanese, drawn to at least seem mostly Japanese with mostly black or brown hair color, and still the technicolor gambit of eye color for variety's sake that no one questions or even really brings-up.

And stuff.

And stuff.
                    My DeviantArt Page // My tumblr // Exalted 3e Houserules

Comment

Technicolor eye and hair ranges have my full and unconditional support, as do people walking around with cat ears or snake eyes or six-inch-long batlike elf ears. I am going to run Exalted like it was a fantasy anime and you can't stop me. >:3

[ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_238_1438728365271_197[/ATTACH]

Comment

As stated by others, pretty much anything that looks good is fair game. I like to imagine that eye colours follow the same general trends as hair colours, though – blue eyes are endemic to the West and North; yellow is found everywhere, shifting towards amber and red in the East and South; green is common everywhere but the South, and so on.

Ethnicities are doubtlessly far more varied than the books say, since every Direction pretty much covers every biome that suits the style. So, while the "generic" Easterner is vaguely Mesoamerican, the population of the Direction spans all ethnicities you could reasonably connect to a forest or jungle biome, from the peoples of the Congo rainforest to Central Europeans to South and East Asians, and that's the short list.
                        (On the same note, the South should really have a lot more pre-Columbian Southwestern American influences.)

There will also be a lot of ethnicities that we would characterise as "mixed heritage," partly because of the above and partly because there's no reason not to have them. This goes double for the Blessed Isle, the location and history of which should leave at least as diverse as the United States, though not as fantastical as the outer Threshold.

And possibly also Turkic, depending on what one takes the inspirations of the Delzhan to be.
                        They are clearly and unquestionably Turkic.

Comment

Originally posted by The MG View Post

They are clearly and unquestionably Turkic.
                          I just gave "possibly" as a concession to all the people who call them Mongols.

Comment

I just gave "possibly" as a concession to all the people who call them Mongols.
                            I'd place them as closer to Bedouin, myself, but arguing over which nomad culture they're meant to emulate is probably silly.

If you're not clear on Bedouin, think Lawrence of Arabia.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilliantRain View Post
                              Ok, so in previous editions the books have given us general details on the ethnicities of Creation. IIrc, it's general Nordic types in the North, with white skin and light hair; Native Americans in the East, with copper skin and straight brown, green, red, or black hair; Africans in the South, with dark brown or black skin and curly brown, black, or red hair; Asian/Polynesians in the West, with golden tans and dark hair in shades of brown, black, blue, gray, sea green, and purple; and sort of Mediterranean on the Blessed Isle, with dark hair and lighter skin, though there's lots of mixing, given the whole sex slave trade.

However, the bits where they discuss that don't really mention eye color. Anyone have any thoughts as to what eye colors are common in each direction? (Also, feel free to correct me on my ethnicity list above. I'm going entirely off memory there and it's been awhile since I looked that up.)

I've always pegged the center as the most traditionally Asian, as the realm is a weird Japan/China cross over thing, with the West being more exclusively Polynesian.

Exalted Behind a Screen of Jade, Savant of the Immaculate Texts, No Moon Scholar, Seeking Awakened, Cloaked Changeling, Disciple of the Antler Crown, Wraith, Good Sitting Dog, Best Lurking Cat with Bones, Pioneer Pooch, Scion with Shield of Knowledge, Director

Comment

Working...
                              X