X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wonderandawe
    started a topic Hero (Quest)

Hero (Quest)

Twelve year old Svante Visscher dreams of becoming one of Creation’s greatest heroes. When Fate comes for him, he discovers being a hero isn’t at all what he expected….
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updates Mondays and Thursdays (Most of the time)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are surrounded.

Around you are the enemies of creation. Fair Folk, twisted by the Wyld. Barbaric Lunars, heart’s blood running down their faces. Their Armies of undead ghosts behind them. A lesser man would flee in terror in front of such a host of enemies.

You just smile and draw your katana.

The ghostly army charges. You easily cut down any that dare approach you. With the instinct of a seasoned warrior you turn and see the Lunar behind you. His caste sign is shining on his forehead.

“Come at me, bro,” you say. The lunar roars and charges….

Slam!

You jerk awake. For a moment, you are confused about where you are. You look around and realize that you are in History Class.

“You fell asleep again, boy. “ Your teacher towers over you, his feathers ruffled. Your classmates, the various god blooded children who live in Downtown Yu-Shan, giggle and whisper about you.

The owl god picks up the book he dropped on the floor by your desk. “Now that everyone is awake, let us continue our discussion on Shogun…”

There is a knock at the door. “What now?” The owl goes to answer, annoyed at the interruption. “Excuse me for a moment, children. Open your books to page 345 and read the section on Order-Conferring Trade Pattern and its influence on Shogunate Policies today.” The teacher leaves the room and closes the door behind him.

As soon as the door is shut, everyone jumps out of their seats and goes to listen at the door. You try to get close enough to hear, but can’t make much out. Something about “Maidens” and “Miscalculation of" Something Something "Exaltation”.

You don’t get to hear anything else as you get push further away from the door by a stronger god blooded child. “Move out of the way, Mortal.” Pissed, you step away from your asshole classmates.

You stand there for a moment, feeling like an idiot and then realize that this is your chance to make your escape. Yes, you’ll get in trouble, but that has never stopped you before.

Where do you go?
    • Be a good boy and wait for your teacher to return.... Ha! Like that is going to happen!
    • The open air market near the Gate of the Imperial City. You loved watching the coming and going from Blessed Isle.
    • This awesome abandon building you found in the Slums. It has all sort of neat stuff to practice your martial arts moves on.
    • Head for the air duct and see if you can listen in on the adults. No one tells you anything, so you have to find out for yourself.
    • Other
    OOC:
    I’m jumping on the bandwagon and starting my own quest thread! This is a concept I’ve been wanting to play around with, but I doubt it will fit in any game. Instead I figured it would make a fun Quest plot line.

Also, feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer from the point of view of the character.
    Last edited by wonderandawe; 10-24-2016, 11:15 AM.

• wonderandawe
    replied
    New quest is up!

You'll have to create an account on RPnation to vote.

Leave a comment:

• wonderandawe
    replied
    Originally posted by Wise Old Guru View Post
    Y'know, I'm not a big Apocalypse fan (prefer Forsaken mostly), but hell if you haven't earned my trust. I'll be checking that new Quest out, because this one is SO GOOD.

Seriously. Keep it up. Your writing (which was already good at the beginning) is getting better, and you're a consistent source of inspiration when I'm feeling low on creative energy. Seriously, Dragonblooded politics AND Sidereal politics at the SAME TIME and it was all understandable to the reader and made the characters seem intelligent and hidden truths weren't immediately obvious but everything previous made more sense once things got revealed? That takes some work!
    Aw, shucks. That means a lot to me. I like writing politics and discovering secrets. I spent the whole quest worrying I had too many characters for people to keep track of or I was making the elders seem stupid.

Hero was my "learn how to plot better" quest. My next quest is going to have less politics and more family drama. And blood and gore. I need to get better at writing fighting scenes and descriptions.

Leave a comment:

• Wise Old Guru
    replied
    Y'know, I'm not a big Apocalypse fan (prefer Forsaken mostly), but hell if you haven't earned my trust. I'll be checking that new Quest out, because this one is SO GOOD.

Seriously. Keep it up. Your writing (which was already good at the beginning) is getting better, and you're a consistent source of inspiration when I'm feeling low on creative energy. Seriously, Dragonblooded politics AND Sidereal politics at the SAME TIME and it was all understandable to the reader and made the characters seem intelligent and hidden truths weren't immediately obvious but everything previous made more sense once things got revealed? That takes some work!

Leave a comment:

• wonderandawe
    replied
    I decided to start my Werewolf quest earlier than I thought. I posted the interest check on RPnation.

I have a poll for whether the players want to know the mechanical benefits before you make a character creation decision. Create an account on RPnation and vote in the poll!

Leave a comment:

• TaliesinSkye
    replied
    Thank you again so much for all the work you put into this amazing story. I very much hope to keep reading everything you write! Please do leave links to it here.

Leave a comment:

• wonderandawe
    replied
    Originally posted by Erinys View Post
    He's well past the tipping point, but some of that prejudice no doubt remains. Svante wants peace -- we haven't seen yet that he thinks of Lunars as true equals. And he's still bigoted against Solars, unless you decide the Golds have changed his mind in the intervening 5 years. The thing that most often changes bigotry and prejudice in real life is meeting and working alongside people, and starting with an open enough mind to learn that they're human.
    I totally agree. Svante sees Lunars more as a problem to be solved rather than individuals.

I wasn't planning on introducing Solars in the game. I have a concept for one solar, but I keep wavering on whether to introduce them or not. I kind of want to see how Creation runs without Sunlit heroes running around.

Svante is probably going to use the Golds for his own means than actually agree with their views.

Basically, Svante thinks he can jump right in and fix Creation's problems. Of course, it's not that easy. But like most teenagers and young adults, Svante knows best.

Leave a comment:

• Erinys
    replied
    Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
    I think it was more the Desert Fox than Ban. To be honest, I was kind of surprised too. The original driving plot for part two was Svante confronting his prejudice against Lunars. Too bad Meekrat steals the spotlight got in the way. :P
    He's well past the tipping point, but some of that prejudice no doubt remains. Svante wants peace -- we haven't seen yet that he thinks of Lunars as true equals. And he's still bigoted against Solars, unless you decide the Golds have changed his mind in the intervening 5 years. The thing that most often changes bigotry and prejudice in real life is meeting and working alongside people, and starting with an open enough mind to learn that they're human.

Lol. The pattern spiders official name is a hexadecimal code for a shade of dark green. Just a easter egg for the Web Design nerds out there.
    LOL
    Last edited by Erinys; 01-26-2017, 05:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wonderandawe
    replied
    Ooh, thanks for the answers! So I guess Svante must have asked Wanahton about Akachi at some point.
    I assumed it would have come up during the five years. Not that it would change Svante's opinion of Akachi.

Even if he had sacrificed his career by chewing Kejak out? To be honest, I regret not voting for that.
    Kejak would have been pissed, but as I said, Kejak doesn't need his coworkers to like him.

But... forthright? *shakes head*
    Forthright is probably the wrong word. It says in the book Chejop Kejak tries to live without secrets because he knows the value of them and doesn't want to give anyone a handle.

To be honest, I was surprised at how quickly Svante changed his mind about Lunars. I expected it to take a while longer. Ban must have really made an impression on him.
    I think it was more the Desert Fox than Ban. To be honest, I was kind of surprised too. The original driving plot for part two was Svante confronting his prejudice against Lunars. Too bad Meekrat steals the spotlight got in the way. :P

Oh, was Svante's pattern spider the one who gave him the Potato God mission?
    Yes.
    I have a suggestion for all the players to celebrate finishing Part 1: Let's vote on a name for Svante's Pattern Spider!
    Lol. The pattern spiders official name is a hexadecimal code for a shade of dark green. Just a easter egg for the Web Design nerds out there.

Leave a comment:

• Erinys
    replied
    Ooh, thanks for the answers! So I guess Svante must have asked Wanahton about Akachi at some point.

It is Dragonblooded Friends fate to be dragged by Sidereals though a whole bunch of bullshit for the good of Creation. This debt will never be repaid.
    The Maidens probably designed Sidereals this way on purpose.

However, this is Kejak. If Svante choose to give up something else, he could work with that too. Kejak doesn't require Svante to like him to work with him. To be honest, the only choice at the Trial of Sacrifice that would fuck over Kejak is if Svante failed the trials and ran away.
    Even if he had sacrificed his career by chewing Kejak out? To be honest, I regret not voting for that.

About the Elders
    I just assume every Elder is insane. You've done a good job depicting that without making them fishmalks.
    But... forthright? *shakes head*

To be honest, I was surprised at how quickly Svante changed his mind about Lunars. I expected it to take a while longer. Ban must have really made an impression on him.

Oh, was Svante's pattern spider the one who gave him the Potato God mission?

I have a suggestion for all the players to celebrate finishing Part 1: Let's vote on a name for Svante's Pattern Spider!
    Last edited by Erinys; 01-25-2017, 09:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wonderandawe
    replied
    Originally posted by Eura View Post
    How much did Kejak actually manipulate and how much are we assuming he's a part of.

Kejak had two schemes running since he was introduced. One on Akachi and one on Svante. If Svante and Akachi actually talked about their secret schemes, they would have realized what the fuck was going on.

Kejak and Svante

Kejak was pushing Svante to become a sorcerer. He knew from dealing with Aiko, that it was possible for someone so young to survive the trials. He did this for two reasons.

1. Pride. If a Dragonblooded could do, surely a young Sidereal could become a sorcerer too.
    2. To prove to the other Elders that Svante was an asset. He decided in the end to keep Svante's initiation a secret, so this point is moot.
    3. Svante's trial of fire was meant to be a maturing experience. Kejak was expecting Svante to give up his relationship with Akachi. He observed the two fighting and believe Svante would take the chance to escape Akachi. However, this is Kejak. If Svante choose to give up something else, he could work with that too. Kejak doesn't require Svante to like him to work with him. To be honest, the only choice at the Trial of Sacrifice that would fuck over Kejak is if Svante failed the trials and ran away.

Kejak and Akachi

Kejak wants to groom Svante to eventually take his place as the Sidereal adviser to the Shogun. Winona and Meraud are going to be dead in less than a century, so Yu-Shan politics will occupy more of his time. Kejak believes in a few centuries, Svante will be experienced enough to keep an eye on the Shogunate Court.

Akachi was very much against this. He wanted Svante to make his own choices, be happy, blah blah blah. When Yeva suggested that Svante be put in the Military school, Kejak suggested Chiyoko's school. He did some mild Astrology on Chiyoko to make her more attractive to Svante. (basically a presence blessing). Once Akachi saw how well Svante and Chiyoko got a long and how happy Svante was, he agreed to Kejak's plan. Akachi made some suggestions for astrological blessings to smooth the relationship though its rough patches (like Svante always leaving Chiyoko behind).

About the Elders

I have been running the Elders in almost constant limit break. Kejak, who is a forthright person by nature, will keep a secret to the grave. Akachi, who is a vain person by nature, is overly concerned with the happiness of those around him. Uilani is the least affected being the youngest.

Leave a comment:

• wonderandawe
    replied
    OK!

Unanswered Questions!
    4. Why does Wanahton dislike Akachi so much?
    A few reasons

Akachi told Wanahton if he came with Akachi, Wanahton could make a difference in Creation. Instead, when Wanahton came to Yu-Shan, he discovered a system designed to keep things how they are. Wanahton, having lived a mortal life on the threshold, believes we could do better. Thus, Wanahton believes Akachi deceived him.

Also, Wanahton had a small incident with a Lunar in his youth. This lead him to disbelieve all the crap the Sidereals were feeding Sasha and Svante.

Also, having raised children of his own, Wanahton doesn't agree with how Akachi is raising the young Sidereals.

5. Look at the Loom to learn more about that disaster meeting between Akachi, Ayesha, the DBs, and the Lunars.
    This will come up later in the story.

6. Ask Akachi about his Solar wife and her Lunar mate.
    This will come up later in the story

7. What Caste is Elder Uilani?
    The Western Elder is a chosen of Journeys.

8. Ask for the story of Ayesha's Chillikin rampaging through Yu-Shan.
    This was just a throw away line. :P But I do have a short story brewing in my head. It involves when Yeva in a Starmetal Warstrider, Haytham dealing with the grief of losing his family, and other things.

Notes to Self:
    1. I owe my DB circle a ton of big favors for that all the horrible disasters that have happened.
    It is Dragonblooded Friends fate to be dragged by Sidereals though a whole bunch of bullshit for the good of Creation. This debt will never be repaid.

Leave a comment:

• Eura
    replied
    How much did Kejak actually manipulate and how much are we assuming he's a part of.

Leave a comment:

• Erinys
    replied
    OK!

Unanswered Questions!
    4. Why does Wanahton dislike Akachi so much?
    5. Look at the Loom to learn more about that disaster meeting between Akachi, Ayesha, the DBs, and the Lunars.
    6. Ask Akachi about his Solar wife and her Lunar mate.
    7. What Caste is Elder Uilani?
    8. Ask for the story of Ayesha's Chillikin rampaging through Yu-Shan.

Notes to Self:
    1. I owe my DB circle a ton of big favors for that all the horrible disasters that have happened.

Leave a comment:

• wonderandawe
    replied
    Besides that Lupo's a First Age Sidereal, this is all I know: http://rathess.xi.co.nz/exalted/inde...haracters:Lupo

I have kept a list of unanswered questions/secrets and "notes to self" I made for Svante, like finding out why Sidereals have Arcane Fate and asking Akachi why he lied to Svante about his birth family. I'm wondering if Svante will find out those sorts of things in the 5 years between, or in-game in Part Two? Should I post them?

Go ahead and post your questions. Your list may contain items I haven't thought of.

But Svante will find out about the origins of Arcane Fate and more details about Akachi's thought process in raising Sidereals in part two. I have the scenes in my head for those already.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X