Five Days Darkness and the Ebon Dragon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Five Days Darkness and the Ebon Dragon

All we're told about the mysterious relationship between these two is that, shortly after coming into existence, 5DD "sucked at the teat" of the ED...which could be metaphor for simply learning forbidden lore from him, or it could be (disturbingly) literal, as a way of imbibing the Shadow of All Things' essence. How do you interpret it?

This is an idea that just hit me: In the days when the dawn itself was newly dawned, the Ebon Dragon was pleased with his work. He quickly noticed, however, that the first shadow cast on this new day did NOT answer to his whim. He watched it, for a time, as it bumbled about with no purpose, and quickly divined its nature. After a while, the Shadow of All Things approached it in its own likeness, introducing himself as a friend, and claiming that he could help the shadow in its ceaseless striving to be acknowledged by its source, Ignis Divine. All the shade would have to do was to merge with him first...

The nameless shade at first complied, as it was naive and life was new to it. Soon enough, however, he came to realize something of the true nature of the Dragon's Shadow, and rejected him, fleeing to the far ends of Creation, with the Dragon's mocking laughter in his ears. In time, he would name himself Five Days Darkness, after the time of Calibration that he hoped to become the God of. But he never suspected the true reach of the Dragon's treachery...

Cowardly and slippery as he is, the Ebon Dragon didn't truly think the Unconquered Sun could ever overcome his makers, but he laid his plans well just in case. One of these involved Ignis Divine's own shadow. Unknown to any but himself, the Ebon Dragon hid his innermost Soul within the poor creature, a literal Heart of Darkness cunningly concealed beyond all detection, nestling like a spider within him. Currently, Five Days Darkness is too spiritually weak to be of any real benefit, but upon becoming greater--like, say, ascending to the Mantle of the Unconquered Sun--he will become metaphysically large enough for the Ebon Dragon to pour his Essence through, and to literally grow himself from the very shadow of the Most High himself!

Of course, this ultimate treachery contains the very seed of its own betrayal, for the Dragon has risked much in planting it. Should Five Days Darkness discover the truth, or be captured or destroyed, or any charm with can extract a heart be used upon him, then the Ebon Dragon himself could well be destroyed...

What a neat idea.

Hey, check out my first original RPG, Post-Mortem, here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/307131/PostMortem

Or read my Exalted novella The Silence of Our Ancestors here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...looded-Novella

Comment

That sounds like a pretty awesome setup. If I ever run a game in which the ED and/or his minions are primary antagonists, I'll have to use this, or something like it.

In my games 5DD was always depicted as a deity who would got as close to Incarnae status as possible, without actually managing to shoehorn his way up into their ranks. The reason that he never made it that far was never explained the same, and were often contradictory. The Maidens want an Incarnae-level deity unfettered from the games (just in case), but not one overtly active in Creation. Luna trolled him and stole a part of his power and put it in a box somewhere. The Unconquered Sun hates him because he reminds him of the ED. He's actually not a god, but a Solar-Behemoth of impossible power made as a byproduct of the Sun's creation. Autochthon stole a portion of his power to make the Night castes. His self-imposed limitation as the god of Calibration limits his growth. That sort of thing. We posited that, if he actually managed to get to full power, he'd be roughly on par with one of the Maidens and would actually be able to exist in the day/ in the presence of Sol.

Comment

Originally posted by Dex Davican
        What a neat idea.
        I know!...So why can't I like my OWN posts?!

Seriously, tho, thanks!
        Last edited by Hand-of-Omega; 01-14-2014, 04:55 PM.

Comment

How can a light source, any light source truly have shadow?

If the ultimate light that is the Sun has an actual shadow, where is that of the fickle moon and the maidens?

Is Ignis Divine the only sun that ever was, is or will be?

My two cents of random thought - i'll try to be more helpful when my internet gets better.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaldam View Post
            How can a light source, any light source truly have shadow?

If the ultimate light that is the Sun has an actual shadow, where is that of the fickle moon and the maidens?

Is Ignis Divine the only sun that ever was, is or will be?
            I always understood 5DD as the first shadow that formed in Creation when UCS started shining upon the world.

Other incarnae lack the metaphorical connection with light and darkness that makes shadows cast around UCS mythically and narratively relevant.

Before UCS, there was Ligier. Before the War, they both shone upon Creation.

Comment

I kind of feel as though, ironically enough, trying to give weighty impact and deep, sinister implications to every mythic reference is something that actually diminishes them.

Look at the Three Spheres Cataclysm.

I like the reference to the Ebon Dragon in the backstory of Five Days Darkness, but don't feel that it requires any more logic behind it than "that's how these kinds of stories go", and that the god himself requires no more explanation than "that's the kind of thing capable of popping up in the aggregate primordial ooze of a mythic reality".

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
              Write up as I play Xenoblade Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Isator Levi View Post
                I kind of feel as though, ironically enough, trying to give weighty impact and deep, sinister implications to every mythic reference is something that actually diminishes them.

Look at the Three Spheres Cataclysm.

I like the reference to the Ebon Dragon in the backstory of Five Days Darkness, but don't feel that it requires any more logic behind it than "that's how these kinds of stories go", and that the god himself requires no more explanation than "that's the kind of thing capable of popping up in the aggregate primordial ooze of a mythic reality".
                ...Look, I know that the devs have made it a Big Thing to reintroduce mythic mystery into the setting and all, but that doesn't mean that WE can't or shouldn't expand upon parts of it that sparks our creativity. There's nothing "wrong" with that, and we shouldn't implicitly create an atmosphere that discourages thinking about the setting's background and coming up with ways to interact with it.

I mean, one of the big stated reasons for 3E to avoid filling in all the details was to encourage US to do so, right?

And, Isator, I'm not coming down on you personally, or accusing you of anything, ok? I know you were just expressing your opinion based on the OP, and I'm cool with that. I just feel like I'm seeing a rising attitude of "the setting shouldn't explain anything, and you shouldn't question that!", which I don't think is really healthy for the conversation that is Exalted, and I felt this was as good a place as any to make my stand on that issue.

If I'm coming off too harshly here, then I apologize in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Morangias View Post
                  Before UCS, there was Ligier. Before the War, they both shone upon Creation.
                  Un. . . Wasn't Ligier only formed after the Primodials surrendered when the original fetich soul of the king of the Primordials was executed, along with that of Adrian, forever changing their nature?

Comment

Originally posted by Greyman View Post
                    Un. . . Wasn't Ligier only formed after the Primodials surrendered when the original fetich soul of the king of the Primordials was executed, along with that of Adrian, forever changing their nature?
                    It's been stated in a couple places that Malfeas's predecessor--Theion, if you go by Gunstar Autochthonia--had two Fetiches, as part of his charm structure.

Amusingly, Theion's excellency suggests that Ligier has always represented his restraint in some fashion: when he was the Holy Tyrant, the Green Sun represented his magnaminity, staying his hand so that those who served him wouldn't be obliterated by the full of his glory. (The fact that Green is in the middle of the ROYGBIV spectrum is somewhat significant here, I think)

Without Ruvelia, he has become the reminder that Malfeas is bound against his will.

That said, this is all material from second edition. Third may well ignore it entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by Hand-of-Omega View Post
                      All we're told about the mysterious relationship between these two is that, shortly after coming into existence, 5DD "sucked at the teat" of the ED...which could be metaphor for simply learning forbidden lore from him, or it could be (disturbingly) literal, as a way of imbibing the Shadow of All Things' essence. How you interpret it?
                      "Sure... that is my teat. Now suck it."

Loch Ness monsters. On vacation. On a pillow.

My wife is on Spotify!

Comment

Talk about your dick moves...

Comment

Originally posted by Greyman View Post
                          I'm not one of those who likes to rag on 2e at the drop of a hat, but even I'll note that the Ligier situation was born of a clusterfuck of writers not knowing what each other were doing. Basically, later writers tried to incorporate every reference they could find to Malfeas and Ligier into a consistent continuity, which now has it that Ligier is the second Fetich of Theion; the first, Ruvelia, was the one executed, turning him into Malfeas. It has been noted that Ligier used to share the sky with the Daystar, meaning that the Time of Glory had two suns (Ligier shone alone before the creation of TUS, but as noted in many places, he gives off a strange light that casts no shadows, ever, which is partly why the ED wanted to make a sun that did).

Unfortunately, other text says that Ligier actually went by a different name back then, which is now lost. Sooo...*technically*, he shouldn't be referred to by "Ligier", but since we can't know his previous name (which Stephenls jokingly suggested was "Ultima"), the books have to call him that regardless.

Ruvelia's grave, btw, seems to be what Ligier's soul Berengiere is guarding, to her eternal boredom; The Broken-Winged Crane shows us a Malfean manse that seems to be Malfeas using his Twin-Heart Charm (as named in Shards of the Exalted Dream) to recreate Ruvelia or to make a new Fetich. The effects of her birth/hatching are up to the ST...

And if you think all that is convoluted, ask about the Kukla sometime!

Comment

Given that on every Calibration, Five Days Darkness possesses a child, then murders his entire family, I have no problem believing he sucked more than milk from the Ebon Dragon's teat.

Bits and pieces of Exalted setting.

Comment

That was a 1e-ism, IIRC, that was removed from his write-up in 2e...Who knows what 3e will do with it?

Hm, I wonder who IS working on 3e's spirit NPCs...

Comment

Working...
                              X