Go tell it to Lookshy!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
    I'd like to see it as written by Eric Minton. Luckily, I do!
    You made me think for a second he was writing it in whatever the 3e version of a compass would be, but then I realized "Oh wait, corebook."

Damn you for getting my hopes up.

Read my shit at my homebrew topic, 2.5e and 3e material!
    Play Alchemical's in 3e now, you're welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocte ex Mortis View Post
      Lies. It's obvious he's using a quill, and will then use a Gutenberg press to copy it once it's done.
      One of those copies is sent to an assistant who will fax it to hatewheel.

Chaka wrote:

Comment

Originally posted by TheSarcasticSage View Post
        I have a question for you Mr Minton, have you ever served in any military, in any capacity? (Reserves, National Guard, or the equivalent counts as far as I'm concerned)
        Mr Minton was a Leonida's finest.

Comment

More specifically:

1) Working First Age Manses, large army of Warstriders, functional skyships, massive Jade wall protecting the city, all maintained by a legion of magitechnicians...Keep or ditch?

2) Helot class: Oppressed slaves or necessary underclass, proud and happy to serve the nation? Or something else altogether?

3) The incident with the Soulbreaker Orb?

4) The Maiden of Battles' Seal on the city-state's Destiny?

5) Redoubts full of Thousand Forged Dragons?

Also, Lookshy is often spoken of as being pretty "fair" in its dealings with others. Some see this as branding them "the good guys", and object to an organized force for Good in Creation, while others see it as a breath of fresh air...Even some writers sought to undo this, with the unstable Solar Manse beneath the city that must fed tortured sun-blooded people lest it blow up and take out the city...

Obviously, I'd love to hear Eric Minton's thoughts on all of this, but I don't think he can go into in with the NDA and all. I'd like to know what YOU, average person reading this thread, thinks of all this, even if it goes against what the writers/devs think! What do YOU want Lookshy to look and feel like?

Comment

Originally posted by Hand-of-Omega View Post
            2) Helot class: Oppressed slaves or necessary underclass, proud and happy to serve the nation? Or something else altogether?
            I know a lot of people are going to say "oh, we want it 'nuanced', so it shouldn't be either!"

But I feel that if they're going to be called 'helots', they should be oppressed slaves kept in line with random murders, with Lookshy constantly terrified of a brutal Helot result (to the point where fear of a helot result and the constant need to maintain the social violence that keeps them in line is the defining feature of Lookshy's internal policy.) Doing anything else is whitewashing the term, because that's what Helot means.

Comment

Lookshy does have traditional slaves too. It's kinda weird.

Bits and pieces of Exalted setting.

Comment

Shintai means geographic features where spirits reside, but nobody wants that to strictly adhere to its original cultural context.

I think helots should be about what they're portrayed as in Scavenger Sons; serf workers who form the bulk of basic infantry. If the idea that they're really up on being distinguished from slaves needs to be a big deal, I can see it being presented in a context of cultural conditioning, or at least internal pride rather than excessive devotion to the cult of the state.

I wouldn't call them "necessary" to the extent that any social stratification is necessary, and I'd say they'll be varied in their sense of happiness and national pride as anybody (and possibly a bit more than most, considering the aforementioned cult of the state), but maybe not quite so marginalized as some outright slaves.

I mean, looking into actual serfdom... certainly far from ideal, but has certain complications that can make getting a handle on it a bit slippery (with the notable exception of Russian serfdom, which was fairly restrictive and brutal).

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
                  I'm going to go out on a limb and guess he's using a keyboard of some type.
                  You should have guessed Dragon.

Comment

Okay, for the rest...

1) Working First Age Manses, large army of Warstriders, functional skyships, massive Jade wall protecting the city, all maintained by a legion of magitechnicians...Keep or ditch?
                    I'd say retain a reserve of First Age weapons, but with most being underfunctioning, poorly understood, and generally kept in the city, particularly as dedicated to its defense. Most fielded weapons are "just" First Age infantry arms.

Originally posted by Hand-of-Omega
                    The incident is pretty neat. The portrayal of it as part of a standard class of weapons (which can be moved around with relative ease), less so.

4) The Maiden of Battles' Seal on the city-state's Destiny?
                    I'd say it's the wrong way to go about building tension, although the idea that Mars might have a special interest in the region could still have potential.

No.

Also, Lookshy is often spoken of as being pretty "fair" in its dealings with others. Some see this as branding them "the good guys", and object to an organized force for Good in Creation, while others see it as a breath of fresh air...Even some writers sought to undo this, with the unstable Solar Manse beneath the city that must fed tortured sun-blooded people lest it blow up and take out the city...

Obviously, I'd love to hear Eric Minton's thoughts on all of this, but I don't think he can go into in with the NDA and all. I'd like to know what YOU, average person reading this thread, thinks of all this, even if it goes against what the writers/devs think! What do YOU want Lookshy to look and feel like?
                    I feel like Lookshy should have a foreign policy that portrays it as fair and invested in the independence of the River Province, as overlaying a domestic situation in which the subject of their foreign relations is heavily debated, particularly as regards estimates of how much of their arsenal they can keep functional, or having the visibility of functionality.

So a bit more likely to shake your hand, but while tentatively keeping a dagger at the ready behind their back, and all it might take is the right political crisis, demagogue or environmental opportunity to send them on an imperialistic surge.

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
                    Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
                    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

A small reserve of High First age stuff, most of which is broken down to some degree, poorly understood, or extremely limited use. Larger reserve of Shogunate stuff, including the ability to make such devices and service them reliably, though the larger/more impressive Shogunate pieces are limited.

I think it should be Extremely Fair when dealing with the Scavenger Lands, if only because their strategic situation demands it. I think internally, and to those not part of the Scavenger Lands power structure, they should be relatively unfair(depending on who exactly you deal with, results may vary), because their strategic situation demands it.

I also think their relationship with Exalted shouldn't be as nice as it is sometimes presented, and instead largely be a "they stay out of our way, we stay out of theirs". Though they define "our way" as the Scavenger lands, due to their strategic situation.

Comment

Mostly as Sparta, partly as a metaphor for China or the US in opposition to the Realm's US or China.

They enable Cold War-inspired plots in Dragon-Blooded campaigns, which is good. Keep, but tone down a bit.

Even some writers sought to undo this, with the unstable Solar Manse beneath the city that must fed tortured sun-blooded people lest it blow up and take out the city...
                        That was a thing? That's dumb.

Comment

I'd say keep the "fair" dealings with others, but make sure to note "fair, from the perspective of Lookshy" so it's not really your fault as a writer if the audience misses the subtext in that statement. As opposed to the definitive author statements such as "Lookshy is fair in it's dealings with the other Scavenger states" that plagued second edtion. Eric Minton has done good work before though so I have faith Lookshy will be handled better than last time.

Comment

Originally posted by Aquillion View Post
                            I know a lot of people are going to say "oh, we want it 'nuanced', so it shouldn't be either!"

But I feel that if they're going to be called 'helots', they should be oppressed slaves kept in line with random murders, with Lookshy constantly terrified of a brutal Helot result (to the point where fear of a helot result and the constant need to maintain the social violence that keeps them in line is the defining feature of Lookshy's internal policy.) Doing anything else is whitewashing the term, because that's what Helot means.
                            Well, that, or use the other term that the Spartans actually used for serfs tied to the land who formed a large part of their military reserve (perioikoi).

Comment

Can't believe I forgot about the gunzhosa/ashigaru power armor...but I imagine the folks who want to get rid of the Warstriders, Skywolf and such would like to see those gone as well...

Also, elite Rangers: yea or nea?

Comment

I hope they either play down the Spartan inspiration or play up the evil aspects of the place. Because ever since I learned a bit about Sparta, I`ve been unable to stomach positive depictions of the place.

Comment

Working...
                                X