Scientist makes heroin-pissing dinosaur

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scientist makes heroin-pissing dinosaur

Originally saw on Cracked, followed the link to this story. Okay, maybe not dinosaurs but it is yeast excreting opiates.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2...r-into-opiates

Dinosaurs are essentially large scale puppies. Yeast is essentially a very small fungal puppy. Close enough for me!
    Last edited by Robert Vance; 05-26-2015, 06:00 PM.

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

Is the novel part of this the idea that they're making heroin? I don't know, maybe familiarity has just left me a bit jaded; I've actually cultivated organisms that were modified to produce useful chemical products, so...

I have approximate knowledge of many things.
      Watch me play Dark Souls III (completed)
      https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

It's that they've genetically altered an organism to take a simple molecule (sugar) and turn it into morphine through number of intermediate steps, each generated by a recombinant protein. While we've had GMO yeasts that produce chemicals for a while, this one is noteworthy not only because it's a stable strain of morphine-producing yeasts, but also the complexity of the steps and the number of intermediaries.

Last edited by Overshee; 05-26-2015, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Good good {mental note: steal this idea}

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDtbr08HW8RW4jOHN881YA3yRZBV4lpYw Watch me play Breath of the Wild (updated 12/03)

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
            Dinosaurs are essentially large scale puppies. Yeast is essentially a very small fungal puppy. Close enough for me!
            Weak nuclear force is like a puppy that changes the flavor of quarks.

Strong nuclear force is like a puppy that ensures the stability of matter.

Electromagnetism is like a puppy that determines the properties of matter.

Gravitation is like a puppy that attracts matter to matter.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post

So puppies are Unified Theory?

Masters of the Industrial Elements
              Upon the Rock of Tradition: The Memorial Exalted
              Ghosts: A Revision (2nd Edition)
              The Underworld (3rd Edition)
              ​From The Crucible: Crafting As A Struggle

Comment

Originally posted by Kyeudo View Post

So puppies are Unified Theory?
                In the year 2015, some nerds on an internet forum discovered the most fundamental truth in the Universe.
                In the decades that followed, this profound theory revealed startling new technologies, enabling travel to the furthest stars.
                The basis for this incredible technology was a force that controlled the fabric of space and time.

They called it the greatest discovery in Human history.
                The civilisations of the Galaxy call it-...

PUPPY EFFECT

Raksi plays Peek-a-boo for keeps. ~ nalak42

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post

This is why I restrain myself from playing the Power of Puppies in Nobilis games. I'd be OP!

Developer for Exalted

Want to write for Exalted? Look at the freelancer submission guidelines.

Robert Vance's Patreon

Comment

My prior response was kind of dismissive and mean, and I apologise for that. It's just that I'm at the tail end of my exams, and the excessive cramming on biotech, genetic engineering, integrative metabolism and nutraceutical science topics has left me a bit burned out, so seeing it brought up here was a bit of a shock to the system. That diagram of the unified pathway from glucose to morphine is still fascinating, though.

Comment

Isator, I hope you won't be offended that my main takeaway from this thread was "If my PCs decide to set themselves up as drug cookers... AGAIN... Isator Levi is the one to talk to if I really want to bring my A game."

"SEX NOVA is the kind of person who, after being chosen as the divine champion of the god of heroes, decided to call himself SEX NOVA."

Comment

Yeah, Isator Levi, you're a real standup guy. I'm glad to know you on this internet forum. If we were in real life, I would be socially awkward around you in a well-meaning friendly sort of way.

When Heaven forbids Exigents, only forbidden gods will have Exigents. The Hanged Man wrote: Space. Pfft, whatever. I can kick Space's ass with a starting Dynast.

Comment

Mr Insecure, what happened to your glasses? And your name...

Originally posted by Murcushio
                          If my PCs decide to set themselves up as drug cookers... AGAIN... Isator Levi is the one to talk to if I really want to bring my A game."
                          I'd say an actual chemist would be better suited for that. My area of study is more in the harnessing and manipulation of microscopic organisms.

Now, if you have characters who want to develop cures for cancer..,. (or biological weapons, I suppose)

Comment

Mr Insecure, what happened to your glasses? And your name...
                            I'm trying to overcome my insecurities by symbolically and literally being somebody else.

(It didn't occur to me that he had practically an identical avatar until after I changed mine. Boo on him, I'm keeping it! For now.)
                            Last edited by Capybara!; 05-28-2015, 05:48 PM. Reason: Shut up phone

When Heaven forbids Exigents, only forbidden gods will have Exigents. The Hanged Man wrote: Space. Pfft, whatever. I can kick Space's ass with a starting Dynast.

Comment

Working...
                            X