X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpoonR
    started a topic Scientist makes heroin-pissing dinosaur

Scientist makes heroin-pissing dinosaur

Originally saw on Cracked, followed the link to this story. Okay, maybe not dinosaurs but it is yeast excreting opiates.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2...r-into-opiates

• Capybara!
    replied
    Mr Insecure, what happened to your glasses? And your name...
    I'm trying to overcome my insecurities by symbolically and literally being somebody else.

(It didn't occur to me that he had practically an identical avatar until after I changed mine. Boo on him, I'm keeping it! For now.)
    Last edited by Capybara!; 05-28-2015, 05:48 PM. Reason: Shut up phone

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Mr Insecure, what happened to your glasses? And your name...

Originally posted by Murcushio
    If my PCs decide to set themselves up as drug cookers... AGAIN... Isator Levi is the one to talk to if I really want to bring my A game."
    I'd say an actual chemist would be better suited for that. My area of study is more in the harnessing and manipulation of microscopic organisms.

Now, if you have characters who want to develop cures for cancer..,. (or biological weapons, I suppose)

Leave a comment:

• Capybara!
    replied
    Yeah, Isator Levi, you're a real standup guy. I'm glad to know you on this internet forum. If we were in real life, I would be socially awkward around you in a well-meaning friendly sort of way.

Leave a comment:

• Murcushio
    replied
    Isator, I hope you won't be offended that my main takeaway from this thread was "If my PCs decide to set themselves up as drug cookers... AGAIN... Isator Levi is the one to talk to if I really want to bring my A game."

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    My prior response was kind of dismissive and mean, and I apologise for that. It's just that I'm at the tail end of my exams, and the excessive cramming on biotech, genetic engineering, integrative metabolism and nutraceutical science topics has left me a bit burned out, so seeing it brought up here was a bit of a shock to the system. That diagram of the unified pathway from glucose to morphine is still fascinating, though.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Vance
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Weak nuclear force is like a puppy that changes the flavor of quarks.

Strong nuclear force is like a puppy that ensures the stability of matter.

Electromagnetism is like a puppy that determines the properties of matter.

Gravitation is like a puppy that attracts matter to matter.
    This is why I restrain myself from playing the Power of Puppies in Nobilis games. I'd be OP!

Leave a comment:

• Kleptomania
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyeudo View Post

So puppies are Unified Theory?
    In the year 2015, some nerds on an internet forum discovered the most fundamental truth in the Universe.
    In the decades that followed, this profound theory revealed startling new technologies, enabling travel to the furthest stars.
    The basis for this incredible technology was a force that controlled the fabric of space and time.

They called it the greatest discovery in Human history.
    The civilisations of the Galaxy call it-...

PUPPY EFFECT

Leave a comment:

• Kyeudo
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post

So puppies are Unified Theory?

Leave a comment:

• TheCountAlucard
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert Vance View Post
    Dinosaurs are essentially large scale puppies. Yeast is essentially a very small fungal puppy. Close enough for me!

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Good good {mental note: steal this idea}

Leave a comment:

• Overshee
    replied
    It's that they've genetically altered an organism to take a simple molecule (sugar) and turn it into morphine through number of intermediate steps, each generated by a recombinant protein. While we've had GMO yeasts that produce chemicals for a while, this one is noteworthy not only because it's a stable strain of morphine-producing yeasts, but also the complexity of the steps and the number of intermediaries.

Last edited by Overshee; 05-26-2015, 05:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Isator Levi
    replied
    Is the novel part of this the idea that they're making heroin? I don't know, maybe familiarity has just left me a bit jaded; I've actually cultivated organisms that were modified to produce useful chemical products, so...

Leave a comment:

• Robert Vance
    replied
    Dinosaurs are essentially large scale puppies. Yeast is essentially a very small fungal puppy. Close enough for me!
    Last edited by Robert Vance; 05-26-2015, 06:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X