Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Argatoi, The Brass Turtles, demons of the first circle.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argatoi, The Brass Turtles, demons of the first circle.

Came up with these while getting anxious for 3e to drop. Thought I would share and seek any advice people are willing to give. In particular some different ideas for the unbound slip into creation portion would be nice. Not certain that the current condition is even feasible in the wild except under extremely unlikely events.

Argatoi, the brass turtles, demons of the first circle
    These large six-legged, red leather and brass plated turtles are known for their appetite for coal as well as assistance in the forging of metal. Though they resemble turtles that are about the size of a wagon, they are generally faster than creations turtles, though they have difficulty running. They are strong and resilient and can be used as beasts of burden, though that is not their specialty in the demon realm.

They consider coal to be a rare delicacy, and like most things they eat they heat it up in their mouth before consuming it. They can emit a strange green light from their tongues and throats which allow them to heat meals or breath a line of green light and fire in self defense.

They are very skilled at maintaining an exact temperature when heating a meal, so they can be instructed to heat a mouthful of coal to very specific temperatures. Metal smiths learned long ago that they could bargain with an Argatoi to help them forge a piece of equipment in exchange for the coal used in the forging process. The brass plates that make up part of their shells can also function as anvils within easy reach. The various ridges, spikes, rounded, and flat surfaces offer just about any kind of shape required. A smith simply needs to be familiar with a particular Argatoi's shell and move to an appropriate part.

At this point most Argatoi have witnessed and been a part of the forging of a great many metalworks, and smart summoners will prize them as much for their advice on craft projects as they do during the forging. Flattery and stoking their ego seem to work best when convincing them to impart advice, though the asker should be prepared to listen to a long-winded tale about a previous work. A summoner must remember to ask before starting a work as it can be rather difficult to understand a demon turtle who is speaking with a mouthful of coal and metal.

Those who wish to make use of them should be careful. The heat and green light they emit increases the usual fatigue experienced when working the forge, so a smith should set aside ample time for rest. In addition prolonged exposure can cause strange blistering and an effect not unlike sunburn, and long-term exposure may cause temporary or permanent blindness. Many smiths cover themselves from head to toe, and wear darkened goggles when using the assistance of an Argatoi. These precautions will of course heightened the effects of fatigue experienced by the crafter.

A pristine deposit of coal that is set on fire by natural occurrences may draw an Argatoi from the demon realm, mouth watering for a tasty meal.

Hm... they should have some weird, alien idiosynchracies to their behavior.

Also, what do they eat in the demon realm? Or what is the source of their coal meals there? Hell mostly doesn't have plants made of wood. Do these things live in Metagaos? Are there coal deposits on Qaf's slopes?

And do you have an idea in mind for their progenitor?

For escape conditions, what about "Whenever a new deposit of coal or jet is opened for the first time on an overcast and rainy day, an Argatoi may appear under cover of the clouds, eager to burn the wet coal."

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
    Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors

Comment

I'm going to guess they're descended from Ligier. They do look cool, but I agree with Erinyes; they need a little bit more "weird" on them to really seem like Exalted demons.

Comment

I prefer demons that proceed from their progenitor, who proceeds from its Third Circle self. That way you get organic descending hierarchies but can still have demons that you wouldn't think are intuitive if you skip steps -- like the Ebon Dragon producing friendly bugs who get rid of toxic waste and purify water, or Adorjan producing idiot savant manse-builders who love to cuddle babies.

That's not to say these Turtles are a poor idea or anything.

I am extremely literal-minded and always write very literally. If I don't say something explicitly, please never assume I implied it. The only exception is if I try to joke.
        Exalted name-generators, Infernal and 1E-2.5E homebrew from many authors

Comment

I could see these descending from Alveua or Gervesin pretty well.

"Chicanery-No: If a player uses this Charm in an abusive or exploitative manner, the ST may punch him right in the goddamn face." --TheDementedOne

"Happiness is very brittle and short-lived in the Exalted community, because ressentiment is our cultural touchstone." --Gayo

Comment

Thank you all for the replies.

Yeah I was going with Ligier as the 3rd circle, not sure I know of a fitting 2nd circle to continue the chain. I had originally thought of Gervesin, but couldn't think of a way to make it fit.

I've been trying to think of something "alien" to add to them or change them up a bit. But have thus far been drawing a blank. I might sit down and brainstorm these through the lens of Gervesin and see what pops out.

Don't mind me Erinys, I think I will be stealing that escape condition.

Comment

Hey actually both escape conditions are great! I know this is a necropsy but were these ever statted?

I think rare conditions are fine, they are supposed to be rare, and this doesn’t sound too rare, maybe big fires summon multiple ones over time.

Big fan of giant demon turtles, made Catapult Turtles myself.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Exalt in the Machine View Post
                At this point most Argatoi have witnessed and been a part of the forging of a great many metalworks, and smart summoners will prize them as much for their advice on craft projects as they do during the forging.
                This treats them too much like Creation's gods, I think.

First Circle Demons need to constantly reproduce new generations of themselves in order to preserve their species in Malfeas, where several, ongoing extinction-level events live in the form of the Yozis and their Third Circle Souls.

There are usually so many First Circle Demons that you could find one that has defied the odds and lived a long time, becoming a unique, heroic example of their species. But most are probably born literally yesterday.

The powers that be in Exalted treat individual First Circle Demons as largely interchangeable and expendable for a reason.

Formerly Inugami, formerly Tornado Wolf.

My RWBY Blog on Tumblr: Semblances, Kingdoms, Grimm, and more!

Comment

Working...
                X