Glorious Solar Saber (Fiction)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glorious Solar Saber (Fiction)

It was the height of the First Age, and a young Solar knelt at the feet of her Sifu, a Sidereal master of the ancient arts of war. "Master." She said, bowing her head in respect, "Teach me how to harness these strange powers that the Most High grants me."

The Sifu smacked the Solar upside the head with his cane.

"You have no powers." She barked, his wrinkled face frowning at his student. "You are no sorcerer! You cast no spells or weave no workings. Your might is inspired by the Unconquered Sun, not from Him!"

"But master, I have seen my brothers and sisters do wondrous things! I have seen them walk in to the Wyld and shape it to their desires, I have seen them cure the sick and wounded with but a touch, or move so softly they defy perception! How can these not be the powers of the Unconquered Sun?" She demanded.

The Sifu smacked the Solar upside the head with his cane.

"They do these things because they have skills you do not, talents you do not. But these are things you can learn." He said. The Sifu motioned to the spear at the Solar's side. A simple thing, made of polished wood with a steel head. "Your weapon?"

The Solar nodded, picking up the weapon and offering it to her Sifu. "Yes master, it was with me the day I was blessed by the Unconquered Sun, when I defeated the Hundred Tiger in single combat. It has been with me ever since that day."

"A mighty deed, how long has that been since that day?" Asked the Sifu, a twinkle in his eye.

"Over a month." Said the Solar.

"But you've used this weapon for much longer than that, haven't you?" Asked the Sifu.

"Yes master."

"How long?"

"Since I was a girl, practicing to become a guardsman for my town with my father." She said

The Sifu's face now held a knowing smile. "And how do you feel, with your weapon in my hand?" He asked.

"Lacking." Said the Solar, her eyes on the spear in her master's hand. 'Like I'm missing a piece of myself."

"Stand and close your eyes." Said the Sifu. "Do not open them until I command you."

The Solar stood, her eyes lingering on her weapon for a moment before complying.

"Hold out your hand. I am going to return your spear to you." Said the Sifu.

The Solar held out her hand, and a heard the Sifu toss the spear to her. She reached out reflexively felt it's weight in her palm as she grasped it.

"Describe the spear to me." Said the Sifu.

With her eyes still closed, the Solar ran her fingers across the blade of the spear and down the body of the weapon. "It's heavier than a normal spear, off balance towards the bottom of the shaft where I had to cut off the tip where it was recently damaged. I haven't had time to fully repair it. Near the top there is a small nick where I struck aside the Hundred Tiger's blow and moved in for the kill. The center is worn down from use, but the feathers at the base of the blade are still soft." She said.

"Open your eyes." Commanded the Sifu.

The Solar complied once more, and her mouth fell open in amazement. In her hand was not her spear, her treasured battle companion, but instead a glowing shaft of light, thrumming with power beyond mortal imaginings. The noonday light perfectly mimicked the weapon she thought she had held, it even held sparkles of sun-dust in the shape of feathers towards the top.

"How is this possible?" Asked the Solar, looking at her Sifu and seeing that he still held her true spear.

"You have carried your weapon for so long, used it so frequently, that it's become a part of who you are." Said the Sifu, this time truly handing her back her weapon. The Solar accepted it gratefully in her other hand, and marveled at how alike they were. "Because it is a part of you, it can never be truly taken from you. When your soul reached out for a weapon that was not there, your hand answered and granted you a weapon that it knew you could wield."

"Amazing." Said the Solar. "I did not know that the Unconquered Sun could do such things for me."

The Sifu sighed, and smacked the Solar upside the head with his cane.
    Last edited by JayTee; 06-01-2015, 07:08 PM.

I'm not certain what you mean? He's asking her how she feels about the fact that he has her weapon and she doesn't.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, though!

EDIT: And the post I was replying to disappeared. Weird.
    Last edited by JayTee; 05-31-2015, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Nice work on the story! I wonder if the Solar is just really faithful or the Sifu has possibly given her enough head trauma with that cane to lead to short term memory loss while she's been training with him.

Comment

I like to imagine that it's more the former than the latter

Comment

Silly Solar, your power is OF the sun, not FROM the sun!

...or is it the other way around? I always get that mixed up...

On the frontier of the Wild South, there's only one woman with the grit to take on its most dangerous outlaws and bring them Back Alive, or Maybe Dead.

Comment

Originally posted by semicasual View Post
            Silly Solar, your power is OF the sun, not FROM the sun!
            The key thing is that it's actually both at once.

The fun part for this Sifu won't be getting this Solar to realize that the power comes from his own awesometudinous abilities and is merely facilitated by the Exaltation. It will be getting him to realize that it isn't a binary choice between that and having cool powers you fire off by running Essence through them; both things can be happening at the same time.

"SEX NOVA is the kind of person who, after being chosen as the divine champion of the god of heroes, decided to call himself SEX NOVA."

Comment

Originally posted by Murcushio View Post

The key thing is that it's actually both at once.

The fun part for this Sifu won't be getting this Solar to realize that the power comes from his own awesometudinous abilities and is merely facilitated by the Exaltation. It will be getting him to realize that it isn't a binary choice between that and having cool powers you fire off by running Essence through them; both things can be happening at the same time.
              The Solar's a lady!

Comment

Was this in reply to our conversation? That's an awesome piece to just write up all of a sudden. Loved it!

I don't even really know what to compliment specifically since the entire thing was so well written.

Don't feel bad. People tell the developers they get Exalted wrong all the time. -hippokrene

Comment

Originally posted by JayTee View Post

The Solar's a lady!
                  Lies.

Or I made a mistake.

One of the two.

"SEX NOVA is the kind of person who, after being chosen as the divine champion of the god of heroes, decided to call himself SEX NOVA."

Comment

@Childofthesun: Not specifically, I just noticed that I had been talking about how charms aren't spells more frequently recently, and since Glorious Solar Saber was a charm most often pointed out as being "magic" rather than an expression of skill, I decided to write the story about that charm.

In my mind, Glorious Solar Saber and the similar charms like stem from a specific tactical illusion that people experience after wearing or carrying a certain object for prolonged periods of time. For example, if I wear a watch all day, every day for a week, but then one day I go out to run errands and forget it, I feel like I'm missing something.

For a Solar, this sensation is most common with weapons and armor that they've trained with extensively, as those are their most important items in the Age of Sorrows. They see themselves in their mind's eye with their preferred weapon, and they know their weapon and how to use it so well they could describe it to you in great detail while blindfolded. When they lack their preferred weapon but have a desire for it, their Solar nature allows them to rise to the challenge of being unarmed, with their Anima hardening in to a shape that they know how to wield intimately. Thus, Glorious Solar Saber, Immaculate Golden Bow, Glorious Solar Plate, or Fiery Solar Chakram.
                    Last edited by JayTee; 06-01-2015, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JayTee View Post
                      @Childofthesun: Not specifically, I just noticed that I had been talking about how charms aren't spells more frequently recently, and since Glorious Solar Saber was a charm most often pointed out as being "magic" rather than an expression of skill, I decided to write the story about that charm.
                      I remember that thread. There was a lot of resolutely binary thinking in it.

I harp on it a lot because it's important to me, but I get somewhat irked when a choice is presented between either "everything a Solar does is an expression of their skill, Charms don't actually exist" or "Charms are discrete Essence techniques that are functionally indistinguishable from a magic spell; you deposit Essence and it generates an effect."

Because you don't have to choose. For most Solars, the answer is explicitly going to be "both are true." Glorious Solar Saber for most Solars is going to be precisely how JayTee describes it... but it's still going to be magic; they still need Essence and an Exaltation to rise to the challenge of not having their preferred weapon.

There's also probably going to be a spectrum involved for some Charms. There are going to be cool-headed savant Solars who had never strapped on a piece of armor in their lives before learning how to invoke Glorious Solar Plate, and who learnt the Charm the way they'd learn a Martial Arts Charm. They think of it explicitly as a Charm they make a conscious effort to use and can explain it in detail and probably train others in its use in a formal way. For them, it's magic first, skill second.

There is also gonna be that guy who simply manifests Glorious Solar Plate around himself every time he runs screaming in a berserker rage at a Legion, swinging his daiklave in great foe-cutting arcs. He might not even be aware of what he's doing, he certainly doesn't think of it as a Charm as opposed to something that just happens when it needs to, and asking him to teach it to you will get you puzzled looks from him. For him, it's skill first, magic second.
                      Last edited by Murcushio; 06-01-2015, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Murcushio View Post

I remember that thread. There was a lot of resolutely binary thinking in it.

I harp on it a lot because it's important to me, but I get somewhat irked when a choice is presented between either "everything a Solar does is an expression of their skill, Charms don't actually exist" or "Charms are discrete Essence techniques that are functionally indistinguishable from a magic spell; you deposit Essence and it generates an effect."

Because you don't have to choose. For most Solars, the answer is explicitly going to be "both are true." Glorious Solar Saber for most Solars is going to be precisely how JayTee describes it... but it's still going to be magic; they still need Essence and an Exaltation to rise to the challenge of not having their preferred weapon.

There's also probably going to be a spectrum involved for some Charms. There are going to be cool-headed savant Solars who had never strapped on a piece of armor in their lives before learning how to invoke Glorious Solar Plate, and who learnt the Charm the way they'd learn a Martial Arts Charm. They think of it explicitly as a Charm they make a conscious effort to use and can explain it in detail and probably train others in its use in a formal way. For them, it's magic first, skill second.

There is also gonna be that guy who simply manifests Glorious Solar Plate around himself every time he runs screaming in a berserker rage at a Legion, swinging his daiklave in great foe-cutting arcs. He might not even be aware of what he's doing, he certainly doesn't think of it as a Charm as opposed to something that just happens when it needs to, and asking him to teach it to you will get you puzzled looks from him. For him, it's skill first, magic second.
                        I think it's funny to say it's binary, because I've been insisting that Charms are all magical techniques that are explicitly not spells, not widgets to be turned on and off, and a lot of people use their charms subconsciously, not thinking of them as techniques at all. But they still are, in the the same way a right straight or threading a needle are techniques.

So exactly what you said, except approached from the technique side. Charms exist, are techniques, but are not spells. Option c, thanks.

Also, JayTee, I like your reasoning for the equipment charms. That's pretty cool. Not sure that would be my default, since you can make weapons that you don't own, but really cool for certain characters.

Don't feel bad. People tell the developers they get Exalted wrong all the time. -hippokrene

Comment

Hate to deflate your fun-balloon, but I have a small number of nitpicks.

For one, you keep using "apart" when context suggests you mean "a part."

Second, GSS and its equivalents don't just summon a sword or armor - it's an artifact. Your spear won't resemble a wood-and-steel weapon, it is a shaft of molten sunlight, an orichalcum dire lance. Perhaps if your bond is with one mundane weapon in particular it might look like an idealized artifact version of such, cast in glorious sun-metal, but at minimum that means it's probably quite a bit bigger.

Third, barring some Ship of Theseus type replacement, I doubt an ordinary mortal's spear is going to last that long if she's seeing combat anywhere close to regularly for years and years.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
                            For one, you keep using "apart" when context suggests you mean "a part."
                            Thanks for catching that. Fixed.

Second, GSS and its equivalents don't just summon a sword or armor - it's an artifact. Your spear won't resemble a wood-and-steel weapon, it is a shaft of molten sunlight, an orichalcum dire lance. Perhaps if your bond is with one mundane weapon in particular it might look like an idealized artifact version of such, cast in glorious sun-metal, but at minimum that means it's probably quite a bit bigger.
                            Fair enough, although perhaps not the point of the story.

Third, barring some Ship of Theseus type replacement, I doubt an ordinary mortal's spear is going to last that long if she's seeing combat anywhere close to regularly for years and years.
                            Also fair, but having your signature weapon break is totally lame and uncool, so it's not likely to actually happen in practice.

Comment

You misspelled height as "hight" in the first paragraph, but that's sorta missing the point. I think artifacts should come in all shapes and sizes, not just "immense". An arming sword and short daiklave are nearly identical in proportions. It easily could have been a "light" dire lance.

Besides that, broken arms can be repaired. Sure, eventually you replace the shaft and head and run into the "this is my great-great grandfather's ax" thing but that's cool!

Still totally okay with this fiction on all fronts. Play devil's advocate a little less hard Alucard.

Comment

Working...
                              X